• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

Tom

I currently anticipate the opposite. I believe there may be a systemic risk to the future of RTT.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
Perhaps when the changes to becoming Great British Railways become more embedded, the doors may open for all national operators to share their data. I'd expect the TOCs to become less autocratic.
Sounds pretty optimistic to me. I'm somewhat concerned that they will lose interest in the whole open data arena. All it really takes is for one of the large IT Robber Barons to come in with a solid offer to provide for all the IT needs of the whole joined-up organisation, in return for turning off the pesky competition.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I currently anticipate the opposite. I believe there may be a systemic risk to the future of RTT.
God, I hope not, I rely on that website as much as I do my phone and debit card when on a train trip o_O

It’s a great site and I hope it continues to thrive for years to come

Dai Corner

Established Member
Sounds pretty optimistic to me. I'm somewhat concerned that they will lose interest in the whole open data arena. All it really takes is for one of the large IT Robber Barons to come in with a solid offer to provide for all the IT needs of the whole joined-up organisation, in return for turning off the pesky competition.
Then making Tom (or one of the others doing similar work) an offer he can't refuse for RTT as that's quicker and cheaper than developing their own equivalent?

ABB125

Established Member
All it really takes is for one of the large IT Robber Barons to come in with a solid offer to provide for all the IT needs of the whole joined-up organisation
There's a business opportunity for you there - perhaps a "management buy-out"-style takeover of all IT systems by the open data community... :D:D

takno

Established Member
There's a business opportunity for you there - perhaps a "management buy-out"-style takeover of all IT systems by the open data community... :D:D
I think maybe I'll let Tom lead the charge on that one!

Roger B

Sounds pretty grim. 'Anticipate' is only a step away from 'expect'. So thoughts turn to what may lessen the chances of this happening ... One maybe to mobilise RTT users to make a noise about how they want to see RTT with all its features retained (and standardised across all operators). Given the popularity of (and dependence on) RTT, and not just by those in the enthusiast community, a few hundred thousand people (maybe more) making some noise might be heard. First step is to inform users of the threat, and second to suggest what they can do about it. This could perhaps be done via a banner message on RTT?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Sounds pretty grim. 'Anticipate' is only a step away from 'expect'. So thoughts turn to what may lessen the chances of this happening ... One maybe to mobilise RTT users to make a noise about how they want to see RTT with all its features retained (and standardised across all operators). Given the popularity of (and dependence on) RTT, and not just by those in the enthusiast community, a few hundred thousand people (maybe more) making some noise might be heard. First step is to inform users of the threat, and second to suggest what they can do about it. This could perhaps be done via a banner message on RTT?
First and foremost, GBRf are quite open about their use of RTT as a tool for their business aren't they...?

35B

Established Member
Reading the coverage of the report in the latest Modern Railways, I can see it going either way. There's a lot of language about opening up to lots of companies, etc., but the whole model is one of centralised control and that could well see "not invented here" syndrome - especially when we know that the railway industry is far from unique in the way that senior managers can throw their weight around to make personal opinion the basis of corporate policy.

_toommm_

Established Member
They had problems with their data feeds last night, so I’m guessing something has gone wrong.

Bob figgis

Just rechecked to make sure and I can see Northern and TPE allox

Attachments

• F850E385-CE70-4374-AE14-67EE0051669F.png
    F850E385-CE70-4374-AE14-67EE0051669F.png
    365.6 KB · Views: 57

SeaKing

Many thanks to Real Time Trains for the Scotrail info that allowed me to clear my 385's & my long chased 158702. Don't usually look at info but it is certainly a bonus when your afew hundred miles away from home for a couple of days. Keith

williamn

What’s does DW mean on RTT? Currently tracking 2B85 which seems stuck at Exeter St David’s.

nedchester

Established Member
Allocations added on TfW but not valley lines it appears.
Also loco hauled trains are identified but no allocations

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Transport for Wales services now show allocations

Llandudno

Established Member
I wonder if they will show the type of vehicle used for the Rail Replacement bus services…?

This is not necessarily a flippant remark, as it maybe useful to know if the bus is accessible for less able bodied passengers.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I wonder if they will show the type of vehicle used for the Rail Replacement bus services…?
No, because the allocations come from a data feed that doesn't contain bus allocations.

This is not necessarily a flippant remark, as it maybe useful to know if the bus is accessible for less able bodied passengers.
RRB work is now allocated to accessible vehicles by default, it would only be in exceptional circumstances that this wouldn't happen.