• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Redspottedhanky booking fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddington

I will continue to use RSH.

But then as has been mentioned, with cashback and cards and vouchers, I never pay full price for train tickets anyway - and this refers to the price printed on the ticket, not using discounts such as railcards and finding loopholes in validity

Not surprising since they recently stopped paying cashback to affiliates such as topcashback.

I've made £50 or more from the "games" without doing very much. Which means that even if I buy five £9 tickets instead of five £10 tickets - they are still free!!

I am pretty sure that Tesco pays RSH close to full value when they double their points, it won't be RSH that doubles them. All the same, things can change. I hope the existing rate will stay past 16 October so I can convert a large amount of points and then I will need to consider which TOC has the best site for me when I do need to pay directly...

DelayRepay

Established Member
Maybe its the continued use of double clubcard points for each transaction that has caused the increase? I dont remember any other TOC letting you do the same.

Not exactly a TOC but Megabus/Megatrain offer double value for Tesco Clubcard vouchers which may be of use to some. Translink offer 3x value. But the difference is they are the actual operator of the service rather than a re-seller, so I suppose it's easier for them to absorb any shortfall than RSH.

This Tweet from RSH to an unhappy customer seems to be an outright lie:

@blueghostuk Apologies for this on average our customers still save up to 51% (excluding fees) which none of our competitors can match -RSH

island

Veteran Member
Depends on how they define competitors maybe? The other non-TOC booking channels have worse fees.

For me, like many others, it is simple. Why should I pay more for a product which is identical at the many other places I can buy it? RSH app has been deleted from my phone and I'll now buy low value tickets from FGW or Virgin (sticking with East Coast for purchases over £22).

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Depends on how they define competitors maybe? The other non-TOC booking channels have worse fees..

Don't tar us all with the same brush! We don't charge any booking or card fees when you buy point to point tickets - just a percentage of any split ticketing savings you might make.

But I understand why they're doing it. The maths doesn't add up otherwise - you simply can't run a booking engine on the ticket commission alone - in many cases ToD, postage and card fees will exceed the commission, but even if not you still need to pay for development, IT, licences, data feeds, office staff, buildings etc., plus you are obliged to spend massive amounts on marketing.

I'm suspicious that the only reasons that the TOCs don't charge fees is because they're not allowed to.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I don't use RSH for ethical reasons, I firmly believe that giving ATOS £1 of my money is £1 too much.

But I think SickyNicky is probably right about the numbers not stacking up. There are so many fees charged for access to Network Rail and ATOC data that the commission really doesn't cover it. At least with the railways you have a choice of paying a fee- if you believe the service offered is worth it- or not. The likes of Ticketmaster charge far higher fees and for doing far less.

The only thing I don't like is seeing TheTrainLine and RSH try and promote themselves as price comparison websites for the railways. It is an outright lie and I'd like to see them held to account for their lies. TTL is even worse, advertising "free vouchers from our preferred partner" on the booking confirmation page which is merely a "discount subscription service" at £19.99 a month. TTL really are utter pond life, and if ATOC fees put them out of business it'll be a good day.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Atos isn't going to disappear from the railway IT picture though. They still run many whitelabel booking websites for many TOCs, and have contracts for all sorts of things.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Atos isn't going to disappear from the railway IT picture though. They still run many whitelabel booking websites for many TOCs, and have contracts for all sorts of things.

Very true, and (annoyingly) their Mixing Desk software is actually pretty good.

I won't go directly to them though ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
In fairness:
  • programmers/analysts/etc don't generally work for free... something I'm grateful for :)
  • you can't run servers and other infrastructure for free - or have someone else run it for you for free
  • I presume there are intra-industry costs such as charges for access to ticket data, ToD costs, etc

But the ticket price is the same as when it's issued by a member of rail staff (who is paid a salary) at a ticket office (which has utility costs) using a ticket machine (which is connected to a network.)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Got an email from RSH, stating the £1 fee will be introduced shortly:

Just reading that. There's a £1 fee for booking and a £1 fee for postage (unless you chose a e-ticket, m-ticket or TOD) meaning for some people using unstaffed stations they'll have to pay £2 per ticket, so the only way of avoiding the fee is to spend over £100 per transaction (as you'll get 100 loyalty points worth £1) and to not have tickets posted to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

greatkingrat

Established Member
But the ticket price is the same as when it's issued by a member of rail staff (who is paid a salary) at a ticket office (which has utility costs) using a ticket machine (which is connected to a network.)

The difference is that TOCs don't expect their ticket offices to make a profit. The costs of selling tickets will already have been built in to the business plan when bidding for the franchise.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very true, and (annoyingly) their Mixing Desk software is actually pretty good.

If it makes you feel any better I seem to recall they didn't develop it and simply bought out the company that did (and it's never been quite the same since what with the sometimes spectacular errors that occur).

bicbasher

Established Member
Never used RSH or TheTrainLine, so Southern and SWT will continue to get my custom.

I'm suspicious that the only reasons that the TOCs don't charge fees is because they're not allowed to.

I am sure in the past I have been charged £1 to use my card on CC

Anyway you will find that most advance singles £1 added to them, take EMT check out a fare between Ely and Norwich, then search using CC, EC, and RSH and the same ticket more

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Kite159

Veteran Member
Interestingly I've received an email from first scotrail this afternoon promoting double nectar points (4 points per £1) for October. So looks like my October purchases will be via them (unless the other First websites are doing the same)

Last edited:

strowger

Not exactly a TOC but Megabus/Megatrain offer double value for Tesco Clubcard vouchers which may be of use to some. Translink offer 3x value.

The Clubcard vouchers can also, as a rule, be sold on ebay for about 2x face value.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I think they all work the same principle, Ely to Leicester is £1 cheaper than EMT and the others

To keep things simple by using RSH or TTL chances are you are paying £1 more than the operator of the train

But the point is that it's not the other website operator adding a fee. It's that EMT are providing a discount on their own advances.

Ely to Leicester should be the same with anyone.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To keep things simple by using RSH or TTL chances are you are paying £1 more than the operator of the train
Not really in the case of RSH; it's only in a few cases where there is a special offer for booking online (three notable long-term offers are EMT £1 off, East Coast Trains which offer a variable discount, and Transpennine's discount for Railcard holders, there's a few more in a sticky thread in this forum). These only apply to their own Toc (or connecting) tickets bought through their own website.

RJ

Established Member
Yes, these are known as Internet Advances and are unavailable from any station; must be bought online.

I find I am often surprised at the tickets RJIS allows to be issued - some types named Web Only are included.

island

Veteran Member
The Clubcard vouchers can also, as a rule, be sold on ebay for about 2x face value.

Given that they can be redeemed online instantly I would be loathe to buy (or for that matter sell) Tesco Clubcard vouchers on eBay.

strowger

Given that they can be redeemed online instantly I would be loathe to buy (or for that matter sell) Tesco Clubcard vouchers on eBay.

Understood - but in practice I've traded them quite a lot over the years and never had any hassle.

politicfool

No booking fee is applied if you use an e-voucher for full payment (at least when I checked today).

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I find I am often surprised at the tickets RJIS allows to be issued - some types named Web Only are included.
It'd be nice if there was a way to get these at stations, it'd be more convenient (for example 99% of ME stations have ticket offices but no TOD). The STAR system can't issue EMT's Internet Advances but I seem to recall being offered one in London some time ago.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't think we've got a date for the introduction of the fee yet.

It's already been introduced! I've got some e-vouchers to use and went to buy a ticket with part payment e-vouchers with the rest on my credit card.

When I saw the fees I switched to EC for the Rewards Points. I'll use the RSH e-vouchers for a future ticket at or just below the e-voucher value.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Need to use up my vouchers quickly!!! I converted up to £110 of RSH voucher a few months ago, thankfully there's less than £10 left. Won't be doing so again I think...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sadly the days of double clubcard points for purchases in store then exchanging for RSH vouchers worth three times the value of clubcard vouchers are long gone.

RJ

Established Member
It'd be nice if there was a way to get these at stations, it'd be more convenient (for example 99% of ME stations have ticket offices but no TOD). The STAR system can't issue EMT's Internet Advances but I seem to recall being offered one in London some time ago.

I'll check when I'm next in on Saturday - not that I'd ever issue such a ticket mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.