• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Request stops: How do you stop the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

Do any request stops have anything like a button to press on the platform to make the train stop at the station? Or is it always a driver looking out for a waving passenger?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Or is it always a driver looking out for a waving passenger?

The instruction is to make ones intent to join the train clear to the driver. Which usually means stand on the platform and stick your arm out like you're hailing a bus. Most drivers will (I believe) toot the horn to acknowledge that they've seen you.

As above there are some plans to introduce a push button system as a trial but for now the traditional methods hold sway.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
The instruction is to make ones intent to join the train clear to the driver. Which usually means stand on the platform and stick your arm out like you're hailing a bus. Most drivers will (I believe) toot the horn to acknowledge that they've seen you.

As above there are some plans to introduce a push button system as a trial but for now the traditional methods hold sway.
Correct me if I'm wrong if it's a soft toot then it means the driver will stop for you however if the train is not scheduled to call there then the driver will sound a louder sustained tone.

Mister Ed

Some lines in Switzerland have had this system for some years, one is on a narrow gauge line in the Jura region if I recall correctly. Pressing the button switches on a suitable signal at the lineside for the driver to see. It also means that the system works in the dark.

driver9000

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong if it's a soft toot then it means the driver will stop for you however if the train is not scheduled to call there then the driver will sound a louder sustained tone.

When I worked request stops there was no need to sound the horn in that way. We blew up on approach to give an alert that the train was near and anyone wishing to board should make themselves seen. If we weren't booked to call we simply sailed on by.

Johncleesefan

There is actually no rule book requirement to sound the horn at all at request stops or passing through stations were not calling at. I generally do out of Courtesy. The only requirement is if you believe someone to be in danger or p way working close to platform edge

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Some lines in Switzerland have had this system for some years, one is on a narrow gauge line in the Jura region if I recall correctly. Pressing the button switches on a suitable signal at the lineside for the driver to see. It also means that the system works in the dark.

The Arosa line certainly has a push-button system on request stop platforms to light up a signal on approach to the station. They also have request stop buttons on the trains themselves in a similar manner to buses.

sw1ller

Established Member
I can only speak for the ones I cover on the NW coast. First of all the guard will tell you if it’s pick up only or not. Then you hit the end of the platform at 15mph max and if there’s someone there you stop, if not you can power up again. That’s it. Nothing else is required.

That being said, I give a blast of the horn from a distance off in case someone’s hiding in a shelter. I don’t give a blast if I can already see movement or for acknowledgement I’ve seen someone as half of the horns are all or nothing. I’d rather just stop the train than scare the poop out of someone.

vlad

Do any request stops have anything like a button to press on the platform to make the train stop at the station? Or is it always a driver looking out for a waving passenger?

Greenway Halt (on the Dartmouth Railway) has some sort of push-button system.

Steptoe

Slightly off-topic as my tale refers to a heritage railway (Mid-Norfolk) but a couple of years ago we introduced request stop working at two of our intermediate stations. I use one of these to board the train to the start of my 'length' and so always hold out my arm in the approved fashion as described above. Most of the regular drivers know me and know where I need to be dropped off but on one memorable occasion when we had a guest loco and driver (albeit with a MNR conductor on the footplate) they sailed straight past with much cheery whistling and waving)

I never found out the reasons but can only assume the driver thought I was acknowledging my awareness of the train as if I were trackside but ever since then I've made a point of removing my hi-viz on that platform when waiting for a train!

Johncleesefan

And he in lies the confusion. This is the exact reason why if I see anybody whatsoever on the platform I stop. Dilton marsh has just been upgraded and lots of p way there doing the work. Needless to say I’ve been stopping only knowing full well they aren’t intending on boarding but just in case

Mintona

Established Member

The problem I can see why this system is in case of a failure the driver will wrongly think that nobody is waiting and proceed at a higher speed that wouldn’t allow them to stop by the time they realise someone is waiting.

RLBH

The problem I can see why this system is in case of a failure the driver will wrongly think that nobody is waiting and proceed at a higher speed that wouldn’t allow them to stop by the time they realise someone is waiting.
Easy enough to design a signal so that it fails in the 'stop' position. Old-style semaphores make this easy of course, but it can be done with coloured lights too.

Johncleesefan

Yep even spotters. I let the guard have it out with them then. They shouldn’t be in the platform unless they intend to board

sw1ller

Established Member
Yep even spotters. I let the guard have it out with them then. They shouldn’t be in the platform unless they intend to board

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (Name shortened for obvious reasons) is awful for tourists getting pictures. Platform could be heaving but no one wants to board. There a a few old hands that won’t stop unless someone signals them clearly, as per the instructions. I’m too new to get away with that though. I’ll happily stop every time.

philthetube

Established Member
Easy enough to design a signal so that it fails in the 'stop' position. Old-style semaphores make this easy of course, but it can be done with coloured lights too.
colour lights signals do fail safe

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I have never used a station with some kind of "bat signal" to stop the train. All i have ever done is stick my arm out like you do for a bus or cab.

E759

I experienced my first Request Stop last Wednesday (13/6/2018) at Newtondale Halt. The TM/RPI on the Down service, who arranged the stop with the Guard, was very encouraging that I would need to Make My Intent Clear when joining the next Up service as I really didn't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. Also to watch out for the adders...

Having alighted at Newtondale Halt and after the train had departed, what a peaceful location! I searched for adders in vain but did find the Emergency Phone: Three buttons, Control, Information (I think?) and 999.

Anyway, as the time approached for the Up service to arrive, I positioned myself in what I thought was a good sighting location and prepared to Make My Intent Clear. At that point I too realised that my signal is the same as someone line-side acknowledging the approaching train. The train was heard before seen but soon the glorious sight of a Thomson B1 came into view. The Driver sounded the whistle to acknowledge my presence. The train came to a halt and I tried to board through the one door which the TM/Guard had forgotten to unlock. However the Guard waited for me to board through an un-locked door and all was well.

Quite a memorable first Request Stop experience for a whole host of reasons :)

Parallel

Established Member
I imagine it’s more difficult at request stops that are either side of a passing loop on a single line, passengers could be waiting for a train going the other direction. This seems to be quite common on the Cambrian Coast, and I imagine Perranwell before it lost its request stop status.

Journeyman

Established Member

Easiest way to do it would be light on - don't stop, light off - stop. A bit like those "cross only when light shows" indications on foot crossings (not sure there's any of those left now).

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Easiest way to do it would be light on - don't stop, light off - stop. A bit like those "cross only when light shows" indications on foot crossings (not sure there's any of those left now).
The barrow crossing at Haverfordwest station has "cross only when light shows" indications, and they look like they still work. However, you have to walk past a 'passengers must not cross the line' sign to get to the barrow crossing. Are there even any passenger trains booked to use the far platform at Haverfordwest (perhaps to maintain crew knowledge) or is it only the oil trains that run through there now?

Kite159

Veteran Member
The barrow crossing at Haverfordwest station has "cross only when light shows" indications, and they look like they still work. However, you have to walk past a 'passengers must not cross the line' sign to get to the barrow crossing. Are there even any passenger trains booked to use the far platform at Haverfordwest (perhaps to maintain crew knowledge) or is it only the oil trains that run through there now?

There are a couple booked uses of the 2nd platform at Haverfordwest, 04:50 Carmarthen to Milford Haven (Monday to Saturdays), 0535 Cardiff Central to Milford Haven on Monday - Fridays.
On Sundays it is 0933 Newport (South Wales) to Milford Haven & 1837 Swansea to Haverfordwest.

However if they actually go via platform 2 probably depends on an oil train coming the other way. IIRC that part of the network is manual signalling so won't update on RTT if a service goes via platform 1 instead of P2.

Esker-pades

Established Member

But for a request stop with a few trains a day, what happens when there are two trains close to each other? Example: Kildonan is a request stop with a single platform. The up and down trains stop within 30 minutes of each other. That's easily enough time for someone to turn up a bit early wanting a train to go one way instead of the other. Then one gets to Braystones with a 15 minute gap between up and down trains. What happens then? Does one still get a talking to from the guard even though you're just standing on the platform waiting for the other service?

Kite159

Veteran Member
But for a request stop with a few trains a day, what happens when there are two trains close to each other? Example: Kildonan is a request stop with a single platform. The up and down trains stop within 30 minutes of each other. That's easily enough time for someone to turn up a bit early wanting a train to go one way instead of the other. Then one gets to Braystones with a 15 minute gap between up and down trains. What happens then? Does one still get a talking to from the guard even though you're just standing on the platform waiting for the other service?

A quick shake of the head towards the driver normally means you don't want that service.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There are a couple booked uses of the 2nd platform at Haverfordwest, 04:50 Carmarthen to Milford Haven (Monday to Saturdays), 0535 Cardiff Central to Milford Haven on Monday - Fridays.
On Sundays it is 0933 Newport (South Wales) to Milford Haven & 1837 Swansea to Haverfordwest.
Thank you for that interesting reply; I didn't realise there was anything that terminated at Haverfordwest.

However if they actually go via platform 2 probably depends on an oil train coming the other way. IIRC that part of the network is manual signalling so won't update on RTT if a service goes via platform 1 instead of P2.
The Rules Of The Plan / Timetable Planning Rules document I downloaded form the network rail website states that Clarbeston Road to Milford Haven is TCB but timed as AB (I assume TCB is Track Curcuit Block and AB is Absolute Block). Not sure if that effects RTT updates. The Waterston and Robeston refinery branches (neither are still working refineries) are worked under the control of a person in charge (the signaller at Clarbeston Road).

louis97

Established Member
The Rules Of The Plan / Timetable Planning Rules document I downloaded form the network rail website states that Clarbeston Road to Milford Haven is TCB but timed as AB (I assume TCB is Track Curcuit Block and AB is Absolute Block). Not sure if that effects RTT updates. The Waterston and Robeston refinery branches (neither are still working refineries) are worked under the control of a person in charge (the signaller at Clarbeston Road).

RTT relies on Train Describer data for its live platforming information. There are many areas with Track Circuit Block which don't have Train Describer data available, on the other hand there are/have been areas with Absolute Block which do/did have Train Describer data available, this includes areas with signal boxes with levers and semaphore signals!

In this case there is no train describer data available West of Llanelli.

Johncleesefan

Hey, I’m just being safe rather than sorry. Then I know I haven’t left anyone behind and it’s booked into the timetable anyway. A talking to off the guard doesn’t have to be a “telling off” either. Could just be offering information

Esker-pades

Established Member
Hey, I’m just being safe rather than sorry. Then I know I haven’t left anyone behind and it’s booked into the timetable anyway. A talking to off the guard doesn’t have to be a “telling off” either. Could just be offering information

I'm only questioning the premise of letting the guard having it off if it turns out they didn't want to get on. Perhaps I've misunderstood something.

Status
Not open for further replies.