• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revised EMR Regional Timetables - From 19th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
A small number of trains are re-instated from 14th February.
Details are on the EMR website.
Don't get too excited though, they can be counted without taking your socks off.

1L06 was operating from Liverpool according to the EMR journey planner and on RTT on Wednesday, but their Wednesday Stakeholder letter didn't confirm reinstatement and it's not. It still appears on RTT for 21st but I suspect it won't run either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
The legal requirement to self-isolate after testing positive for Covid ends in England today. Will this lead to more train services being reinstated?

Llandudno

Established Member
Some good news EMR are set to significantly increase their services from Sunday onwards.
https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co....intercity-weekday-timetable-and-significantly
National Rail journey planner indicates that Nottingham-Liverpool Sunday services will be restored from this Sunday, although this is not shown on the EMR link/press release?

Does anyone know if they will be running and if so, when was the last time EMR ran trains west of Manchester on a Sunday?

Killingworth

Established Member
National Rail journey planner indicates that Nottingham-Liverpool Sunday services will be restored from this Sunday, although this is not shown on the EMR link/press release?

Does anyone know if they will be running and if so, when was the last time EMR ran trains west of Manchester on a Sunday?
At least they were supposed to get to Manchester last Sunday but the weather prevented that.

On RTT they show as going to Liverpool this Sunday but past experience suggests that will be the first bit cut if there's any problem. Northern will be left to pick up the pieces.

TPE are running a limited service on Sunday, their latest briefing says only the following

Exact train running is subject to staffing availability each Sunday which will be confirmed nearer the time; customers are advised to check the status of their journey before they travel

Manchester Piccadilly to Doncaster/Sheffield

• 0911 Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly
• 1014 Manchester Piccadilly to Doncaster
• 1143 Doncaster to Manchester Piccadilly
• 1411 Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly
• 1419 Manchester Piccadilly to Doncaster
• 1543 Doncaster to Sheffield
• 1619 Manchester Piccadilly to Doncaster
• 1743 Doncaster to Manchester Piccadilly
• 1919 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The legal requirement to self-isolate after testing positive for Covid ends in England today. Will this lead to more train services being reinstated?

No, no further uplifts that aren’t already in the pipeline until May TT change

STINT47

I'm hoping that the full pre vivid timetable comes back in May and the timetable enhancements promised in the bid happen in December.

A Sunday service on the Ivanhoe line and hourly in Lincolnshire is long overdue.

Established Member
I'm hoping that the full pre vivid timetable comes back in May and the timetable enhancements promised in the bid happen in December.

A Sunday service on the Ivanhoe line and hourly in Lincolnshire is long overdue.
At the moment it looks like the regional timetable just rolls over (with the exception of Skegness) in May unfortunately.

The improvements to Lincolnshire and Ivenhoe was part of the second big timetable change. It may be held off due to the postponement of the ECML timetable.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Very good news for the North Staffs getting Sunday service back and Matlock's get a service to Nottingham again although one day a week. Now just need the full Monday to Saturday service now.
Does anyone know if the signal boxes were kept open on the North Staffs line on Sundays since the strikes commenced back in May 2021?

As part of the franchise bid, Sunday morning services were promised on this line. I'm not holding my breath.

The benefits of privatisation so far (however many years and franchises that is): 1 extra evening service each way Monday to Saturday.

station_road

Does anyone know if the signal boxes were kept open on the North Staffs line on Sundays since the strikes commenced back in May 2021?

I think they were - there was definitely a train last Sunday that ran as I saw it from a distance at the crossng at Tutbury (at about 4pm). It looked like a Network Rail engineering train

ChrisC

Established Member
At the moment it looks like the regional timetable just rolls over (with the exception of Skegness) in May unfortunately.

The improvements to Lincolnshire and Ivenhoe was part of the second big timetable change. It may be held off due to the postponement of the ECML timetable.
As previously reported in this thread no uplift in the timetable on the Robin Hood Line in May back to pre Covid levels. In fact it gets even worse with trains only calling every 2 hours at both Langwith and Whitwell, even on Saturdays. Also some of the peak time trains are missing out stops at Newstead and Bulwell which has never happened before. Peak time trains have always stopped at all stations.

LowLevel

Established Member
As previously reported in this thread no uplift in the timetable on the Robin Hood Line in May back to pre Covid levels. In fact it gets even worse with trains only calling every 2 hours at both Langwith and Whitwell, even on Saturdays. Also some of the peak time trains are missing out stops at Newstead and Bulwell which has never happened before. Peak time trains have always stopped at all stations.
The half hourly off peak service is still under consideration for May, apparently.

ashworth

Established Member
The half hourly off peak service is still under consideration for May, apparently.
I really do hope so. I’ve had enough of having to wait for an hour at Nottingham every time I go to visit relatives in Norfolk. The connection to Norwich is missed literally by a few minutes and it’s the same on the return journey. Last week I drove there instead and it was much quicker. You can get quite a distance along the A17 towards King’s Lynn during the hour you are sitting on Nottingham station. I also understand that it isn’t just the connection to Norwich that the current hourly service just misses.

dk1

Veteran Member
I really do hope so. I’ve had enough of having to wait for an hour at Nottingham every time I go to visit relatives in Norfolk. The connection to Norwich is missed literally by a few minutes and it’s the same on the return journey. Last week I drove there instead and it was much quicker. You can get quite a distance along the A17 towards King’s Lynn during the hour you are sitting on Nottingham station. I also understand that it isn’t just the connection to Norwich that the current hourly service just misses.
Nottingham has always been a station of poor connections for some reason.

LowLevel

Established Member
Nottingham is constrained by the two track approach from the east, an imbalance of west/east services and the presence of the depot requiring frequent shunts etc.

The lack of footbridges at the east end also doesn't help (and the centre overbridge is likely to be taken out of use for rail passengers to stem fare evasion - planning notices for listed building consent to gate off the platforms have been present for a while) although rumours are that that might be addressed at some point with a new overbridge.

Despite what RTT says (bearing in mind that has changed repeatedly already) there is certainly a chance of Nottingham - Mansfield Woodhouse and Nottingham - Matlock reappearing in May, apparently.

Established Member
Nottingham is constrained by the two track approach from the east, an imbalance of west/east services and the presence of the depot requiring frequent shunts etc.

The lack of footbridges at the east end also doesn't help (and the centre overbridge is likely to be taken out of use for rail passengers to stem fare evasion - planning notices for listed building consent to gate off the platforms have been present for a while) although rumours are that that might be addressed at some point with a new overbridge.

Despite what RTT says (bearing in mind that has changed repeatedly already) there is certainly a chance of Nottingham - Mansfield Woodhouse and Nottingham - Matlock reappearing in May, apparently.
Is it just the Matlock's and Robin Hood being looked into for May?

Skymonster

Established Member
If that’s an official EMR position it’s totally arrogant. It should be far more than “looking at” - at the very least, it should be “will be” unless there’s justifiable public explanation why it can’t be done

LowLevel

Established Member
Is it just the Matlock's and Robin Hood being looked into for May?

If that’s an official EMR position it’s totally arrogant. It should be far more than “looking at” - at the very least, it should be “will be” unless there’s justifiable public explanation why it can’t be done
That's all I've heard.

It depends on resource availability. I've got everything crossed!

High Dyke

Established Member
Yes, they were open. The lack.of a passenger service, due to industrial action, had nothing to do with Network Rail staff. In some cases permission may have been given for boxes close early, though it isn’t a regular thing to happen.

DDB

That is potentially very good news about Nottingham Matlock. Maybe the public/political pressure on this issue is having some impact.

The existing gate line at the main Nottingham station entrance is a farce as the centre bridge is ungated so it doesn't do anything for fare evasion it just annoys paying passengers. In particular it doesn't read robinhood cards so they have to be let through manually once the gate staff have finished having a chat.

Scott1

The existing gate line at the main Nottingham station entrance is a farce as the centre bridge is ungated so it doesn't do anything for fare evasion it just annoys paying passengers. In particular it doesn't read robinhood cards so they have to be let through manually once the gate staff have finished having a chat.
Apologies for going a bit off topic. The bridge works have been planned a while, and I belive planning permission has been granted now, but the gates need to be replaced, the existing ones are not suitable. The wooden ones are going and steel ones put in to a more appropriate design for the listed bridge. Hopefully it'll be done soon, it's certainly been pushed for by the staff for years, as everyone knows it's an issue.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
• A complete recast of the Robin Hood Line timetable, to address ongoing performance issues
• 1 minute dwell time at all stations
° Increase in sectional running times, with overall journey time increased by six minutes
Bestwood Park becomes the 'interaction' point between north and southbound services.
Northbound services will be given priority, with Newstead loop being the back up, when needed.
• Langwith and Whitwell stops will alternate, giving these stations a two-hourly service
• Mansfield Woodhouse services (when reinstated) will run fast, calling at both Mansfield stations, Sutton, Hucknall and Nottingham only.
Removal of Longport calls from the Crewe services (except the first and last trains of the day)

Summer Saturday services to Skegness using Class 180 units. Four additional train services to Skegness
• No reinstated services between Liverpool and Norwich (ie: we won't run the 0647 LIV-NRW etc)
Matlock services continue to spin at Derby, with only selected services running through to
Nottingham
I've been provided the above information by a rep.

ChrisC

Established Member
I really do not understand why there are now such problems on the Robin Hood Line and the timetable needs a complete recast. What was wrong with the very successful timetable that has operated with few problems for over 20 years since the line reopened. The only change I can see is the Class 170 trains can’t cope with the numerous stops, especially northbound on the gradients. I know that they did run on the line in Central Trains days but only on occasional trains not a full service. The only good point is that at least a half hourly service to Mansfield is eventually to return as I did fear that it never would.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I really do not understand why there are now such problems on the Robin Hood Line and the timetable needs a complete recast. What was wrong with the very successful timetable that has operated with few problems for over 20 years since the line reopened. The only change I can see is the Class 170 trains can’t cope with the numerous stops, especially northbound on the gradients. I know that they did run on the line in Central Trains days but only on occasional trains not a full service. The only good point is that at least a half hourly service to Mansfield is eventually to return as I did fear that it never would.
I think it's a multitude of issues really. The Mansfield terminators never had adequate time to turnaround, 3mins and no additional time allowed for a running brake test. The resilience was never there after Bulwell lost its second platform to the tram so delays would usually continue through most of the day as trains would pass if running perfectly on time around Basford and Kirkby, giving at best 60-90s between the single line occupancy. My idea has always been to dual the line from Hucknall to Newstead loop, fast trains using the "up line" and anything calling at Newstead the "down line", but using both bidirectionally as required.

Killingworth

Established Member
"Summer Saturday services to Skegness using Class 180 units. Four additional train services to Skegness
• No reinstated services between Liverpool and Norwich (ie: we won't run the 0647 LIV-NRW etc)
Matlock services continue to spin at Derby, with only selected services running through to
Nottingham"

Curious that the 6.47 Liverpool - Norwich won't be reinstated. It appears every week in RTT, only to disappear about Thursday in the week beforehand. I've promised to take my better half on a trip to Peterborough when it finally does run.

TheBigD

Established Member
Summer Saturday services to Skegness using Class 180 units. Four additional train services to Skegness

Same as the HST operated one in previous years?
0824/0943 ex Nottingham and 1140/1235 ex Skegness.

If they're only single 180s, which given the less than stellar availability they manage to acheive, seems likely, there will be a fair bit of overcrowded in the summer if loadings are similar to previous years.

louis97

Established Member
The timetable that operated before cannot operate at present because of the requirement to stop at all 3 stations in both directions on the single line. With the reduced timetable you could look at extending the turnaround at Worksop by 25-30 minutes and pass the trains at the north end of the single line, but this would mean crews getting back to Nottingham 25-30 minutes later than the current out and back trip. The previous timetable could in theory return once the Mansfield services are reinstated, and this would require each service to make only 2 stops on the single line. I suspect its unlikely that it will though, especially if this recast proves to be a good performance boost for the line, we will have to wait and see on that.

This new plan only works because of the withdrawal of the stops every 2 hours at Langwith and Whitwell, this allows the additional dwell times, the minimum 6 minute turnaround at Worksop and allows the train to get back to pass the Worksop service at Bestwood.

In the future if the proposed extension to Ollerton happens and the Mansfield trains get extended there, it would make sense for them to come back in the path of the train from Worksop, and give the train at Worksop a longer turnaround and reinstate the service at Whitwell and Langwith to hourly again (if this does not happen before).

Status
Not open for further replies.