• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RIP HM Queen Elizabeth II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Media now reporting Harry has arrived at Balmoral. At 18:28 or so a plane did land at Aberdeen which had come from Germany, I do wonder if the plan was to announce the death once he was officially in the country as some had suggested earlier. As the reporters on BBC did look as though they were waiting to make an announcement maybe it was due at 6pm and then at every 30 minute interval afterwards once he'd touched down.

HullRailMan

Such sad news. Without doubt, our greatest ever monarch and an unmeasurable asset to the United Kingdom and the commonwealth. Change is always difficult, and I’m sure it will take some time for many people to adjust to not having the Queen.

Typhoon

Established Member
She was doing (what she would have regarded as) her duty until the very end, able to ensure that the political leadership of the country passed from one person to another without interruption. I can imagine she would have considered that of the highest importance, irrespective of any pain or suffering she was feeling.

Thank you for your service, Ma'am,

MikeWM

Established Member
Very sad day, a very well-lived and much-appreciated life.

The end of an era, someone who has been an icon of constancy through all the other ups and downs of all our lives.

Ivatt5MT

I had turned off my radio and television, done something in my house, then went out in my car. Halfway down the road at about 7:15pm I turned the radio on to this saddening news. RIP HM The Queen.

satisnek

A sad and rather surreal evening, although inevitable. Queen Elizabeth II was the last of her kind - the pre-technology, pre-consumerist generation for whom I have the utmost respect. RIP.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I see in a newspaper that there will be a prominent role for the Royal Train in events over the next few days. If accurate highly appropriate IMHO and a mark of the railways significance to the nation and its head of state.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I see in a newspaper that there will be a prominent role for the Royal Train in events over the next few days. If accurate highly appropriate IMHO and a mark of the railways significance to the nation and its head of state.

There’s now a discussion on that side of things here:

alex397

Established Member
I’m not a royalist for many reasons, but it certainly is sad, and certainly the end of an era. It’s incredible the amount of things she has lived though.
Most of all, she was dignified, respectful and just so classy. I doubt we will see the likes of her again.
It is great she made it to the Platinum Jubilee (and of course the opening of the Elizabeth Line!)

MotCO

Established Member
She has been a rock over the last 70 years - a dependable, constant servant who put the country (and Commonwealth) first, and was an exemplary role model, never putting a foot wrong. She was recognised across the world as a friend.

RIP. We will never see the like of her again. God save the King.

No you have to be pretty old, like my Ma, to remember a monarch before Elizabeth II. Mind you my uncle is old enough to remember Edward VIII!
My mother-in-law, aunt and uncle have all known (not personally!) 5 monarchs!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No you have to be pretty old, like my Ma, to remember a monarch before Elizabeth II. Mind you my uncle is old enough to remember Edward VIII!

That’s impressive!

My grandfather rang the bells at St Paul’s for her coronation. Unfortunately he passed away long before I was born but my grandmother had a photo in the hall (which I think my father must still have somewhere) of him meeting the Queen Mother after the event.

Mike99

They are saying quite correctly on the news that its the end of the 2nd Elizabethan era, but what will King Charles III era be called, we had Victorian and Edwardian eras, can think what the next era will be called.

brad465

Established Member
According to the BBC live feed the PM was informed of the news at 16:30 (BST). Depending on how quickly she got informed, that would suggest when the concerns for her health were first declared she was still alive, but very close to the end:

Prime minister was told of Queen's death at 16:30 - official spokesman​

Liz Truss was informed of the Queen's death at 16:30, the prime minister's official spokesman has said.
The prime minister was told the news by Cabinet Secretary Simon Case.
Following her statement in Downing Street, Truss spoke to King Charles and she is also expected to chair a meeting of ministers at 21:00.

RIP

Eyersey468

Established Member
It's the end of an era, most people have only known one monarch. RIP her Majesty.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
According to the BBC live feed the PM was informed of the news at 16:30 (BST). Depending on how quickly she got informed, that would suggest when the concerns for her health were first declared she was still alive, but very close to the end:

It is very interesting how news like this is revealed. Rewatching the BBC coverage now, it seems very clear that when Huw Edwards went for a break, it was actually to pre-record the announcement.

Truly tragic news. Cannot quite comprehend it even though I’ve been watching the live coverage all evening.

I think, from a human point of view, I find it very sad that she was on her feet to greet Liz Truss just two days ago, and then suddenly passed away today. I think we all expected the Queen to enjoy a form of retirement where she would simply do what she wanted to do, and it seems very sad that she wasn't able to have a long all-but-retired period.

One related point: is it just me, or would it be appropriate to leave her on banknotes?/coins I think she deserves a grand and significant gesture, and I wouldn't have any objection to commemorating her reign by having her remain on all the banknotes/coins.

RIP
It felt like we were told if the concerns just a couple of hours before the tragic news at half six.

duncanp

Established Member
I just hope Prince Harry has the decency to cancel his autobiography, and tell his wife that a long period of silence on her part would be most welcome.

MotCO

Established Member
They are saying quite correctly on the news that its the end of the 2nd Elizabethan era, but what will King Charles III era be called, we had Victorian and Edwardian eras, can think what the next era will be called.
I think it will be the Caroline era (not kar-o-line, but ker-o-lean)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Media now reporting Harry has arrived at Balmoral. At 18:28 or so a plane did land at Aberdeen which had come from Germany, I do wonder if the plan was to announce the death once he was officially in the country as some had suggested earlier. As the reporters on BBC did look as though they were waiting to make an announcement maybe it was due at 6pm and then at every 30 minute interval afterwards once he'd touched down.
Yesterday elements of the British media were criticising Prince Harry for 'refusing' to go and see the Queen during his and Meghan's latest whistlestop self-promotional tour, in which they appeared at a 'Summit' (!) of a ridiculous organisation called One Young World in Manchester. Not all the criticism came from the usual suspects (GB News, Daily Express, Daily Mail) either, though they didn't hold back, but even some on Twitter etc who think the sun shines from strategic places on these two individuals' bodies. So it's rather ironic if he was the cause of any delay.

Anonymous10

Established Member
from all scouts around the world R.I.P. she was the constant for so many and no matter political views was the definition and symbol of stability and leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.