• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
There is also a Cabinet meeting planned at 4pm this afternoon that may or may not be connected to the election:

Ministers have been told to attend cabinet at 4pm on pain of death. They have not been told what they will be discussing. Today is the final day the election could be called for June 27. Given that Sunak has said it will be in the second half of the year, July is more likely.
Imagine getting a request from Rishi "on pain of death". It doesn't exactly strike fear into the heart.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is there a precedent for a UK government using a Govt department communication channel for propaganda purposes before now:

Yes I've been a little bit uncomfortable with the tone of some of the material coming out of Government department social media feeds for a little while now. It's hard to put a finger on but it feels like the line between party political and promoting government policy has become quite blurred. I think the Home Office is the worst offender with some of the stuff they've put out in the past about "activist lawyers" (which I think they ended up deleting and apologising for) but it feels a bit like its spread across Whitehall.

I'm not quite sure how to balance it, and it's not been an issue really in the past with other Governments either. That HM Treasury account for instance is from early 2009, social media was a very different beast back then. Some other example such as the Home Office twitter being from is April 2010 so just before the election whilst DWP is September 2011 so about a year later.

But it certainly feels like at least some Departmental twitter feeds are being used to push party political points rather than just "This is what the Government are doing" and I'm not sure that's entirely healthy. I suspect that the issue is probably Special Advisers giving instructions to Civil Servants, potentially quite junior, and then them just doing what they're told.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Imagine getting a request from Rishi "on pain of death". It doesn't exactly strike fear into the heart.
Even Chris Mason, BBC Political Editor, seems to be suggesting there could be something in it, with Shapps and Cameron rescheduling trips abroad. Let's hope and pray the Ayes have it in the unlikely event of the vegetables getting a vote. :smile:

bspahh

Established Member
The decimal odds at Oddschecker for a July-September 2024 election are now 1.5, and 11 for October-December. If you bet £10 and got the right date, you would get your £10 back as well as £5 winnings for July-September or £55 for October-December.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Rishi is probably going to announce that we've gone to war against the wokes.

Gloster

Established Member
Sunak probably thinks that if he has it on 4th July everybody will be patriotically celebrating Independence Day and will vote for the party that brought the country the freedom from the oppressor that…hang on, have I got the wrong country? That is for after he has decamped to California.

Howardh

Established Member
Gone on the Fourth of July
No one less loyal than I
When my country said go I wasn't ready to do so
And I wish I'd been left to fleece the UK some more
At what point, exactly, does a PM become an ex-PM on election night - assuming he doesn't resign on the spot? Think there's a certain point in the evening when the government "accepts defeat" but at some point power must hand over - for example if at 7am Fri it's obvious Labour are winning, but Putin does something ridiculous that requires urgent attention, would that be Starmer or Sunak??

najaB

Veteran Member
At what point, exactly, does a PM become an ex-PM on election night - assuming he doesn't resign on the spot? Think there's a certain point in the evening when the government "accepts defeat" but at some point power must hand over - for example if at 7am Fri it's obvious Labour are winning, but Putin does something ridiculous that requires urgent attention, would that be Starmer or Sunak??
They remain PM until their meeting with the monarch. Then, technically, we don't have a PM until the incoming appointee has their meeting.

birchesgreen

Established Member
He has to resign to the monarch, when Brown lost he hung on for a week while Cameron and Clegg worked out their coalition agreement. I recall that Darling (then the Chancellor) still went to a finance minister meeting even though Labour has lost.

Howardh

Established Member
They remain PM until their meeting with the monarch. Then, technically, we don't have a PM until the incoming appointee has their meeting.

He has to resign to the monarch, when Brown lost he hung on for a week while Cameron and Clegg worked out their coalition agreement. I recall that Darling (then the Chancellor) still went to a finance minister meeting even though Labour has lost.

Thanks, so if before Sunak visits the King, if something crops up he'll have to deal with it. Didn't something similar happen in the USA (Clinton?) r/e hostage situation which, if memory serves, he had to deal with while he was losing (or winning?) on the actual election night? Please correct me, I don't really follow US politics!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Thanks, so if before Sunak visits the King, if something crops up he'll have to deal with it. Didn't something similar happen in the USA (Clinton?) r/e hostage situation which, if memory serves, he had to deal with while he was losing (or winning?) on the actual election night? Please correct me, I don't really follow US politics!
Yes in the US there is a period after the election until the losing (or outgoing) president steps down. The new president will have his transitional office. Its about 2 months i think?

najaB

Veteran Member
Thanks, so if before Sunak visits the King, if something crops up he'll have to deal with it.
Yes. Though, it's worth keeping in mind that we don't operate like the UK Presidential system - the PM isn't Commander in Chief so even in his/her absence the MoD would continue to operate and implement standing government policy.

Yes in the US there is a period after the election until the losing (or outgoing) president steps down. The new president will have his transitional office. Its about 2 months i think?
The election is the first Thursday in November and the inauguration is on January 20th (or 21st if the 20th is a Sunday). There is almost a parallel administration for some of that period.

nw1

Established Member
Yet at the same time Suella Braverman was found yesterday to have acted illegally by amending the Public Order Act by statutory instrument to broaden its scope and lead to more arrests.
She really does have form for breaking the rules, doesn't she?
She always preaches about other people yet never seems to face any consequences herself.

Rishi's 'death' is likely to come in the form of being slapped around with a large trout.

Following him slapping an opponent repeatedly with small fish while doing a dance.

;)

Thursday July 4 is in "the next half of the year".

Independence Day. From the Conservatives.

Howardh

Established Member
Looks like cabinet meeting later this afternoon then ride to the Palace. If he does call that election, I think it's more to save him having to resign as all those letters might have gone in, rather than the inflation news!

JamesT

Established Member

Howardh

Established Member
Looking more and more likely the Fourth of July. I'll be one of those Libdems lending my vote to Labour. Tactically I wouldn't mind reform returning to the Tories so we get a hung parliament with LD/Labour the largest "party", and we can move on Europe. But that's for another day, the first job is to hire a decent removals firm!!

brad465

Established Member
Various weather radars have drizzle/rain in the London area, and it looks like it won't clear for a few hours at least. If he does announce an election, he's got a metaphorically bad backdrop to do it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.