• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party.

Silenos

Those who do so are invariably acting alone/almost alone and with no support from any Christian community.
In fact, quite a number of American evangelical groups have been either supportive of, or unwilling to condemn, attacks on LGBT groups, sites and individuals, as well as on abortion clinics. And some support still the attacks on the Capitol after Trump lost the elections. Those who make up, fund and promote such groups are also supporting far right factions within the Tory party who stand a fair chance of setting the political complexion of the British right going forwards. I would therefore argue that they are a far greater threat to our way of life than our own Muslim citizens or Islam worldwide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
In contrast the number of Muslims who appear to support terrorism - while almost certainly a minority - is a significant minority, supported by a fair number of prominent clerics.
There are approximately 1 billion Muslims in the world. how many of them do you believe actively support non state-sponsored terrorism?

Last edited:

SteveP29

Maybe they think that if they look at the potholes sternly enough they'll realise they are not wanted and disappear!

New lectern slogan: Stop The Potholes
'The potholes were today subject to a new piece of legislation branding them illegal and all efforts would be concentrated on preventing them from appearing on UK streets. A spokesperson for the Conservative Party said, we know how they are getting here, we don't really care, but if we can convince the populace to hate them instead of the reasons why and the methods they appear, then we're onto a winner while we pocket the money or dish it out to our donors and friends that was previously earmarked to prevent it in the first place. We have also refused the offer of help from abroad, people from Scandinavia who are on the front line of pothole prevention in cold climate'

I'd still love to know who in government thought that canning the nations biggest infrastructure project to fill potholes once would be a vote winner

I can only assume that they thought - people hate potholes = 2. People in general think hs2 is a waste of money = 2.

2+2 = 5

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
From 1984 by George Orwell

But do they want to make the party a serious one again or are they more interested in indulging their own personal fetishes?

Indulging their wallets morelike

The sane MPs and members of the Tory Party must surely want to, and presumably they still have some influence... don't they?

They (MPs) were purged by the Johnson prior to the 2019 General Election

What a load of ridiculous hyperbole; "mob rule", indeed.

So is this a tactic to over-inflate a situation in order to justify right-wing authoritarianism, and thus gain votes from a certain section of the population? Or a tactic to distract from Leegate? ("It's the Palestine supporters who are the bad guys - not us")

Typically Tory
Create or escalate a situation that neither affected nor bothered 95% of the population and make it a burning core issue that threatens the very existence of the country

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
New lectern slogan: Stop The Potholes
'The potholes were today subject to a new piece of legislation branding them illegal and all efforts would be concentrated on preventing them from appearing on UK streets. A spokesperson for the Conservative Party said, we know how they are getting here, we don't really care, but if we can convince the populace to hate them instead of the reasons why and the methods they appear, then we're onto a winner while we pocket the money or dish it out to our donors and friends that was previously earmarked to prevent it in the first place. We have also refused the offer of help from abroad, people from Scandinavia who are on the front line of pothole prevention in cold climate'
You forgot of course: deport the potholes to Rwanda. Method: dig them up, dump them in a truck and transport them to the nearest airport for immediate deportation to a Rwanda detention centre.

Will make the roads even worse, but who cares. The potholes have been deported to Rwanda. That's all that matters.

AM9

Veteran Member
I remember several years ago a Islamist extremist attempted a terror attack, and the member of the public who intervened to stop him succeeding said "You ain't no Muslim bruv!" This is what we need to promote more.
That was an attack at Leytonstone Central Line station in December 2015.

Gloster

Established Member
You forgot of course: deport the potholes to Rwanda. Method: dig them up, dump them in a truck and transport them to the nearest airport for immediate deportation to a Rwanda detention centre.

Will make the roads even worse, but who cares. The potholes have been deported to Rwanda. That's all that matters.

Or declare that the pothole problem has been solved and it is all quite safe, just like Rwanda, as the government has said that it is.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Levelling Up Secretary Michael Gove has been placed under investigation by Parliament's standards watchdog.

The probe relates to Mr Gove's register of financial interests, according to the Standards Commissioner's website.

There are no further details about the investigation, with these kept confidential until it concludes.

However, last week the Guardian reported Mr Gove had failed to register VIP hospitality at a football match with Conservative donor David Meller.

In August 2021, he was entertained at a Queens Park Rangers match with the businessman, according to the newspaper.

Mr Meller's company, Meller Designs, was awarded six contracts for personal protective equipment (PPE) and hand sanitiser worth £164m after a referral from Mr Gove, who was then Cabinet Office minister, in 2020.Mr Meller's company, Meller Designs, was awarded six contracts for personal protective equipment (PPE) and hand sanitiser worth £164m after a referral from Mr Gove, who was then Cabinet Office minister, in 2020.

The standards commissioner is not thought to be investigating the contracts, just whether he registered the hospitality correctly.

A spokesperson for Mr Gove told The Guardian he "apologises for any oversight".

"He has written to the relevant parliamentary authorities to inform them of a potential omission from the register of members' financial interests regarding two complimentary tickets he received from Queens Park Rangers Football Club to a match in August 2021," the spokesperson said.

Under the MPs' code of conduct, they must register gifts, benefits and hospitality over the value of £300.

Individuals under investigation are not allowed to discuss the allegations against them.

Asked about the probe in an interview with BBC Radio 2, Mr Gove said he was "bursting to say more about it" but was not able to because of Commons rules.While he declined to comment on the standards commissioner's investigation, he said all PPE contracts were awarded by civil servants "against an objective set of criteria".

"No minister was involved in awarding PPE contracts," he added.

Meanwhile, the commissioner has also opened an investigation into independent MP Andrew Bridgen.

It means seven MPs are currently under investigation.

The Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, Daniel Greenberg, is responsible for investigating alleged breaches of the House of Commons Code of Conduct and registers of interests.

Classic, blame it on Civil Servants.

dgl

Established Member
Or declare that the pothole problem has been solved and it is all quite safe, just like Rwanda, as the government has said that it is.

They are to be rebranded as "safety holes" that are there to make drivers slow down, making the road safer.

AM9

Veteran Member
They are to be rebranded as "safety holes" that are there to make drivers slow down, making the road safer.
It certainly works in Catherine Street, St Albans. It's part of the city centre 20mph zone, and not many race across these fairly deep 'scabs' where quite large areas of the blacktop and the coarse intermediate layer is missing right down to the concrete substrate. Very effective in enforcing the speed limit. ;)

aavm

"George Galloway has clinched a stunning victory in the Rochdale by-election after one of the most divisive and controversial contests in recent history" -- Daily Mail
(Seat was formerly safe Labour.)

Still time for the hard left to split the party before the General Election :)

philosopher

Established Member
"George Galloway has clinched a stunning victory in the Rochdale by-election after one of the most divisive and controversial contests in recent history" -- Daily Mail
(Seat was formerly safe Labour.)

Still time for the hard left to split the party before the General Election :)
The champagne corks must be popping in the Tory party HQ today!

nw1

Established Member
The champagne corks must be popping in the Tory party HQ today!

Doubt it. Likely a one off.

Even if the Peoples' Populist Front, or whatever his party is called, stands a candidate in every seat I doubt they will significantly split Labour.

Remember that many, even most (IMO) of Galloway's attitudes are right-wing or hard-right, and will turn off most on the left.

dosxuk

Established Member
I think Tory party HQ will be doing their best to keep quiet today. Leave the press to talk about Galloway and Labour rather than how they came third even when Labour weren't campaigning, dropping nearly 20% of their support from the previous election.

Statto

Established Member
Doubt it. Likely a one off.

Even if the Peoples' Populist Front, or whatever his party is called, stands a candidate in every seat I doubt they will significantly split Labour.

Remember that many, even most (IMO) of Galloway's attitudes are right-wing or hard-right, and will turn off most on the left.

Seems like the controversy over the Labour candidate made Labour voters stay at home, big lesson for Labour is, carefully vet candidates before choosing them for elections in future.

Galloway is an opportunist slime, i loath the cretin (i'd get a ban if i said how i really feel about him), wouldn't surprise me if Labour gains the seat at the General Election.

Thirteen

My guess is that Galloway's time in Rochdale will be shortlisted.

I wish he would leave politics or retire, he's nothing but a grifter.

Howardh

Established Member
Breaking News (I think that's what they call it) Sunak's going to make an announcement this early evening - but don't hold your breath it won't be to call what we all want.

PM to make Downing Street statement​

Rishi Sunak is to address the nation from Downing Street this evening.
It is understood he will be speak about recent events and the need to protect our democratic processes.
He will NOT be announcing a general election, we understand.
Sky's political correspondent Tamara Cohen says this marks the first time Rishi Sunak has given a speech in the street outside Number 10 since he became prime minister.
The address comes on the day George Galloway is confirmed to be returning to parliament as the MP for Rochdale after what the prime minister called a "divisive campaign".
It also follows one of the most fractious weeks in Westminster in recent years last week.
It resulted in more than 90 MPs signing a motion of no confidence in the House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Breaking News (I think that's what they call it) Sunak's going to make an announcement this early evening - but don't hold your breath it won't be to call what we all want.

This sounds like it's going to be Galloway's wet dream, and will only further his megalomaniac tendencies. How will Sunak speak only as a Prime Minister and not just as the leader of the Conservative Party?

nw1

Established Member

So Sunak trying to make himself look important, when all it will make him look is melodramatic?

Wonder what it will be about.

Sweeping new authoritarian "emergency" laws to restrict protest? The mind boggles.

Resignation (without a general election)?

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
This statement news isn't on the front page of the BBC News site yet oddly, when you'd think they'd be the first to know.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Olivia Utley on GB News said a few minutes ago that it was a speech about the "toxification of politics," but also quite rightly points out that Sunak has been in charge for over a year now and hasn't done anything about it!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I really can't believe how disingenuous they are being with all of this.