• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling stock that you regret not riding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I suppose it was a train 'of the night' after all.

Same applied on the various night paper trains on the Southern ....I beleive - bar the Pompey which was in the day , always busy with returning RN staff ....can you imagine a 73 and a train of say 4 vans now doing the small hours down the Chatham ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Same applied on the various night paper trains on the Southern ....I beleive - bar the Pompey which was in the day , always busy with returning RN staff ....can you imagine a 73 and a train of say 4 vans now doing the small hours down the Chatham ?

I suspect that it would be quite popular with clubbers.

cambsy

On Moderation
Someone mention Concorde, which I Did, London-New York return in 2002, with 2 day days in New York, was amazing, best trip of my life by far, so fast 1350 mph and smooth, main stock which I wish I’d done is the APT P, would love to have been around for the Southern last days of steam when Bullied Pacifics hit 105mph between Basingstoke and Woking, the flyers of the late 30’s.

themiller

Class 151 as mentioned already - does anyone have any pics of the interior?
Class 303 / 311. Anything side-corridor - the first 442 first class interior was great
http://www.traintesting.com/images/diagram.jpg shows the side elevation of a cutaway coach. The site refers to the drawing coming from Modern Railways May 1985 so you may get more info from that but, as the site author is asking for interior pictures, I doubt it but there may be a lead in the article if you have (or can find) a copy.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Definitely regret not doing the 37s on the S&C in Arriva Trains North days... did Skipton to Appleby and return on compartmented mk1s behind a 47 while on a summer holiday but as I was only 6 or 7 I didn't really appreciate it!

AY1975

Established Member
For me it would be the SR design HAPs/SAPs with a full length side corridor DTC (may have been taken on one as a child, but if so I don't remember it), Merseyrail 502s and 503s, Manchester-Hadfield/Glossop 506s (remember seeing them at Manchester Piccadilly but never went on them), Scottish Class 126 inter-city DMUs, 151s, and Mark 1 sleepers (though I have seen the inside of the one at Peak Rail from outside - probably one of the last surviving Mark 1 sleeping cars that is still largely in as-withdrawn condition internally).

Also the Class 411 CEPs in as-built condition (though I was probably taken on them a few times as a tiny tot before they were refurbished, and I can vaguely remember travelling in a compartment on an unrefurbished unit going on holiday to Margate in 1980, when I was 5).

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
For me it would be the SR design HAPs/SAPs with a full length side corridor DTC (may have been taken on one as a child, but if so I don't remember it), Merseyrail 502s and 503s, Manchester-Hadfield/Glossop 506s (remember seeing them at Manchester Piccadilly but never went on them), Scottish Class 126 inter-city DMUs, 151s, and Mark 1 sleepers (though I have seen the inside of the one at Peak Rail from outside - probably one of the last surviving Mark 1 sleeping cars that is still largely in as-withdrawn condition internally).

Also the Class 411 CEPs in as-built condition (though I was probably taken on them a few times as a tiny tot before they were refurbished, and I can vaguely remember travelling in a compartment on an unrefurbished unit going on holiday to Margate in 1980, when I was 5).

The original Kent Coast 411 sets were rather fine - grey upholstery but had reading lights , curtains and were toasty warm. Ironically - the refurbed standard opens were not much liked for "hard seats" ....

The work was given to Swindon to keep , or try to, keep the works open - much like the 4EPB's were sent to Horwich...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The original Kent Coast 411 sets were rather fine - grey upholstery but had reading lights , curtains and were toasty warm. Ironically - the refurbed standard opens were not much liked for "hard seats" ....

Trojan is so much more attractive than just 'grey' !

BR Boy 125

Any rolling stock that you wish you rode more before they were withdrawn?

For me, I wish that I rode the A Stock more before they came off the Metropolitan line - I still remember waiting for an S Stock as they were being introduced while countless A Stock went by. I also don't remember riding the 465/1s before they were remotored, even though I remember the 465/2s, so wish I rode one of those instead.
I would do absolutely any to ride in the Intercity APT-P

PeterY

Established Member
Over the years I've ridden in a large amount of stock but I never kept records. I used to like the 501's with their lovely soft seats that you literally sank into.
I've not done a 442 strangely.
Being from the deep south it was nice to have my first pacer ride last year (Exmouth) but this year I went to pacer heaven and tried some Northern ones, only regret, although I saw a couple, was I never rode the bus seat interior ones.:'(

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Over the years I've ridden in a large amount of stock but I never kept records. I used to like the 501's with their lovely soft seats that you literally sank into.
Being from the deep south it was nice to have my first pacer ride last year (Exmouth) but this year I went to pacer heaven and tried some Northern ones, only regret, although I saw a couple, was I never rode the bus seat interior ones.:'(

There are plenty of them around (bus seat pacers) so you've still got time !

KevinTurvey

Some of the rarer DMU classes I never rode on 103, 120, 123, 124 etc, missed these both due to being withdrawn such a long time ago and I just wasn't interested in them at the time.

Again due to lack of interest I rarely rode on the 504, 506, 309. There was just so much change going on in the mid 80's to early 90's some stuff just got overlooked.

PeterC

Established Member
I haven't kept records either and as a fellow southener I have never ridden in a pacer. My main regrets are never having used the Brighton Belle or the Night Ferry.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Classes 411, 421 and 423 before they went. Sadly I was way too young at the time to go out alone, and my family very rarely used any National Rail trains, let alone those in the areas that they operated. I believe they called at Hounslow regularly near the end, but we never used that line (nor did I have any interest in National Rail, only the Tube. Although occasional experiences, usually megatibe, of the DMU services to/from Southall didn't help either).

nlogax

Established Member
APT. Always wanted ride it since seeing the Horizon 'Race Against Time' episode and it wasn't technically withdrawn until 85/86 - just wish I'd had the opportunity to experience it as a kid.

Mikey C

Established Member
The Night Ferry service from London to Paris would have been a fascinating one to try, and was only withdrawn in 1980 so more recent than I had thought.

I've taken train ferries between Germany and Denmark, and that was an amazing experience

Taunton

Established Member
Those old Merseyrail units were superb - hand waxed apparently , with superb comfy seats and wood panelling.
We had moved from Somerset to West Kirby in their latter years. The Wirral units (Birkenhead North depot) were indeed maintained notably better than the Southport units (Hall Road depot).Not quite the way round you would expect, one being among the grim housing alongside Birkenhead docks, and the other being in quite an elegant outer suburb by the beach. Both were overhauled at Horwich, using the same interior paint and upholstery, so must have been something in the way they were looked after. The Wirral units were indeed hand-waxed every month in the depot, and after first class was abolished, but the seats stayed the same, the old first class seats, which hadn't got a lot of wear over time, were indeed better than long distance stock of the time (or now). For short metro-type journeys. I've seen photos of the Wirral 503s being broken up for scrap, and they still look very presentable. Incidentally, I never had a single minute of delay, for any reason, from their services in all the time we were there. Which certainly cannot be said for their replacements.

AM9

Veteran Member
OK, these were a long time ago but I didn't really venture outside the SE before 1962 and then was too poor/busy:
1) Manchester-Glossop-Hadfield (Class 506) EMU. I'd been travelling a few times on the GE Liverpool St-Shenfield equivalents before the GEML was converted to ac., and I can vaguely remember that quieter progress they made without the transformer hum in the centre car. Travelling on the Glossop line before they were withdrawn would have been interesting, (and nostalgic).
2) In the same area, to travel behind a class 76 of even better a class 77 across to Sheffield under DC. Sadly all just history now. I did however go on a school visit to Germany and Austria in 1963 which meant a slog through Belgium to Liege before a hauled steam climb over the Ardennes to Aachen and 16 2/3 hz land.

Polarbear

Established Member
During my time, the contenders would be;

Blue Pullmans
The Manchester Pullman stock
Deltics in mainline service
The APT P

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Quite a beauty is that one judging by the pictures!

The interior looks a treat as well! :) Very impressed by the job done on it when I saw it at Bo'ness a few years ago. Just need to get the surviving Buffet car done too and then we'll be able to enjoy a cuppa complete with 1950s DMU interior decor while meandering along on a very charming heritage line 8-)

Flying Phil

Established Member
I get to ride on HSTs for the short Market Harborough to Leicester journeys when I go to Loughborough - there are "no change" 222s but I would rather change at Leics! I would also love to have ridden on an APT.....Could the Crewe set run again, even loco hauled, if the APT Power cars were unuseable?

Status
Not open for further replies.