• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rossobus

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Rosso should obviously run the business like First do/did in Bury and Rochdale. When passenger numbers decline, just reduce and then withdraw the service. Don’t change anything to try to increase demand as that would annoy the current passengers.

Exactly - I'm frankly disgusted that someone working full time in public transport should try to attract new people - why don't they just stick to the fixed/ finite number of existing passengers who are slowly dying off, instead of doing anything as crass as promoting their routes - simply ghastly behaviour!

Life was so much better in the days when operators made no effort and we should just be happy running services for dwindling passenger numbers.

Transdevs rosso operations are mostly tenders carrying the elderly, who have had the same route numbers for donkeys years, and then all of a sudden for them to change. Have some empathy, unless, you're one of the minions Alex hornby recruits to spread the #Amazing message and disregard those that disagree with him..

It's like you've identified the problem (these routes are generally only used by pensioners who have no other option, so are a route of last resort, and the low passenger numbers will just dwindle further in future years)..

...but then jumped to personal criticism of Alex Hornby rather than, say, realised that his company are trying to encourage new people to use these routes...

...not that you have an agenda, I'm sure!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Crikey, are people on the west side of the Pennines so confused by a simple change of number, what would happen if they completely altered the services - mass confusion leading to suicide ? At least they are not going the full hog Wellglade approach that people though Alex would roll out across the board and drop route numbers. At the end of day for a lot users if the bus says the correct destination on it the route number is pretty irrelevant.
As a person living in 'TrentBartonLand' (no, none of the locals say that), they haven't necessarily dropped route numbers, like the old 4 is now i4. Routes with names without numbers are still easy to remember, Skylink to the airport, the mickleover to mickleover.

Alexbus12

It's like you've identified the problem (these routes are generally only used by pensioners who have no other option, so are a route of last resort, and the low passenger numbers will just dwindle further in future years)..

...but then jumped to personal criticism of Alex Hornby rather than, say, realised that his company are trying to encourage new people to use these routes...

...not that you have an agenda, I'm sure!

How is renumbering well known routes into fantasy numbers encouraging new people to get the bus, when it turns existing passengers away because they don't know which bus to get!? This was what the original point was.. I have a strong dislike for Lord Hornby for many reasons, but partly because he dislikes and blocks any criticism of his company, even when enquiring why routes aren't running! Coincidentally, my critisms of him have grown, and I will continue to voice them. Oh I do wish he was on here to contribute rather than getting his minions to do his work for him..

cnjb8

Established Member
How is renumbering well known routes into fantasy numbers encouraging new people to get the bus, when it turns existing passengers away because they don't know which bus to get!? This was what the original point was.. I have a strong dislike for Lord Hornby for many reasons, but partly because he dislikes and blocks any criticism of his company, even when enquiring why routes aren't running! Coincidentally, my critisms of him have grown, and I will continue to voice them. Oh I do wish he was on here to contribute rather than getting his minions to do his work for him..
What exactly do you mean by minions?

RustySpoons

A fair few years ago, long before Alex Hornby joined Transdev, they renumbered most, if not all, of the local services in Burnley and Harrogate. They went from one and two digit numbers to three for some unfathomable reason. Obviously this made things a lot more complicated, and they soon went back to the old numbers. 1 became 101, 2 became 102 for example.

If they use some sort of logic with the renumbering, e.g. XX1 becomes R1, XX2 becomes R2 it wont be so bad. However because the route numbers cover such large range it is bound to cause confusion amongst the elderly regular passengers who have been used to catching the 462 for years. R6 will mean nothing to them, nor will a fancy new brand. In the same respect, a new route number wouldn't entice me out of my car onto the bus either. A tidy, clean, reliable bus service would though.

Whilst all these Rosso brands are claimed to have increased patronage, is this just down to the fact that since Transdev has taken over the service has become a lot more reliable, or is it down to the fact that buses are painted different colours and the 464s now resemble Dolly Mixtures? I'd say a lot of it is to do with the former. I could be wrong however.

I personally think that Blazefield Holdings had it relatively sussed with a standard and unique livery on a modern clean fleet, and route branding on top of that where required and/or one flagship route (X43 Burnley, 36 at Harrogate, etc). This works a lot better than having a lot of confusing brands where branded vehicles often find themselves off route. The X41 in Blackburn has seen RedEx branded deckers, yellow and blue Lancashire United and blue and blue Blackburn Bus Company brands on it on a daily basis. Not that amazing really, is it? Harrogate is fairly unique in that most of their buses are in the same base livery, aside from 36 and PotN, so if a bus appears off route it doesn't look too much out of place. Same with Coastliner to an extent.

There's no denying though that some of the schemes Transdev are doing to get people onto the bus works, and works well. The 36 in Harrogate, and the Sunday Freeway services in Harrogate (and Rosso on the Red4). I'd be highly surprised if these don't increase passenger numbers in the long run. Well, in Harrogate at least. The Red4 seems to be struggling by all accounts.

Obviously not everyone agrees, and thats fine I don't expect them to. And some people will probably think I'm 'Transdev bashing' and thats fine too I guess, but I'm not. It's just my opinions. Think what you want.

As for Alex Hornby, I've only met him in person a couple of times. Had a brief chat, seems decent enough. I've not had any bad dealings with him or his 'minions'/senior management so can't comment. In fact, most of my contact with Transdev has been complimentary, only once sending in a complaint but even that was more of a suggestion regarding a less than ideal bus stop location that drivers often don't spot.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

I'm interested by this "minions" terminology. Are we really to believe that Alex Hornby has a troop of individuals who will respond to any perceived slight? Really? I mean....how old are you?

Whilst all these Rosso brands are claimed to have increased patronage, is this just down to the fact that since Transdev has taken over the service has become a lot more reliable, or is it down to the fact that buses are painted different colours and the 464s now resemble Dolly Mixtures? I'd say a lot of it is to do with the former. I could be wrong however.

It will be a mixture of both. So for the avoidance of any doubt, let's get this on the record. You have to have a decent base product - so you have reliable dependable service with reasonably comfortable vehicles that goes where you want and when. A new livery or service number won't achieve anything in and of itself and especially if the base product is poor but get the base product right and it they will support growth.

This is what branding is all about. After all, why do chocolate manufacturers have all of these many different bars and brands, and spend a fortune on marketing, when they could simply just put a single white sleeve with "CHOCOLATE" on it?

It is a complex mix and not a precise process. However, I'd sooner see bus companies make an effort and fail rather than simply turn out the same old same old.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Fantasy numbers?

Lord Hornby?

This is hilarious - it's just a bus company renumbering some marginal services to make them attractive to more people (so that they aren't used by just a few pensioners who have no other option, so that they are a service that people *choose* to use) - toys well and truly out of the pram though.

There's no denying though that some of the schemes Transdev are doing to get people onto the bus works, and works well. The 36 in Harrogate, and the Sunday Freeway services in Harrogate (and Rosso on the Red4). I'd be highly surprised if these don't increase passenger numbers in the long run. Well, in Harrogate at least. The Red4 seems to be struggling by all accounts

If anyone wants to know whether the Transdev approach works, take a look at the way that the 36 goes from strength to strength (despite competition from the train) whilst the First service X84 from Skipton/ Ilkley into Leeds hasn't had the same growth - Arriva's commuter services from south of Leeds seem to be going backwards whilst Transdev's services from north of Leeds do well - maybe there are some wacky gimmicks, maybe the livery isn't a dull corporation one with sombre colours like maroon/ navy/ dark green (like bus companies had in the "good old days") but it works - Transdev are doing well in some relatively marginal territory (e.g. the excuse that First struggle due to post-industrial demand in an internet age in economically depressed towns of northern England is obviously a valid one but Transdev seem to be doing well enough in Keighley/ Burnley etc - or at least not crashing and burning like some bits of First).

Maybe Mr Horby knows more about running bus services (and promoting bus services) than some kids on the internet?

I'm interested by this "minions" terminology. Are we really to believe that Alex Hornby has a troop of individuals who will respond to any perceived slight? Really? I mean....how old are you?

Its like the way that that conspiracy theorists think that the Israeli government is behind everything! I mean, I'd love it if someone honestly thought that my ramblings on a message board were worth paying a corporate salary for (!) but in the real world, it's just people who can appreciate a generally good/ successful product.

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdevs rosso operations are mostly tenders carrying the elderly, who have had the same route numbers for donkeys years, and then all of a sudden for them to change. Have some empathy, unless, you're one of the minions Alex hornby recruits to spread the #Amazing message and disregard those that disagree with him..
Er.. no I am not. As a number of people have now pointed out they are looking to increase custom. Years ago pre Transdev Blazefield numbered services to the Bilton area of Harrogate with a B prefix with people being invited to buzz around on a Bilton Bee. Suspect something similar is planned for Bury and renumbering the services with B prefix makes it far simpler to understand rather than knowing it applies to a 487 but not a 483. If its done like the Keighley locals which they currently hold the tenders for then it would be a branding on top of the fleet livery which fits a Bury Bee, if that's what arises, quite well. Compared to many places around the country the fact they have been the same route number for donkeys years is unusual and elderly elsewhere do not have enormous problems understanding a route number change.

SCH117X

Established Member
A fair few years ago, long before Alex Hornby joined Transdev, they renumbered most, if not all, of the local services in Burnley and Harrogate. They went from one and two digit numbers to three for some unfathomable reason. Obviously this made things a lot more complicated, and they soon went back to the old numbers. 1 became 101, 2 became 102 for example.
There was a distinct logic to the 101 and 102 in Harrogate. Blazefield had merged the Harrogate-Knaresborough services with the Harrogate-Jennyfield estate service in 1994 but off peak there were two more buses to Knaresborough than there were to Jennyfield so those two buses continued to the Bilton estate instead. The result of this was a 1 or a 2 went east to Knaresborough and back west to Jennyfield as 1 or 2 but those to Bilton were a B1 or B1A. This caused confusion not helped by drivers not correctly changing the route number, I once saw a B1A on Jennyfield. The solution was the three digit numbering, the last digit indicated the Knaresborough route and first digit as 1 Jennyfield (or a short working to Harrogate only) or a 2 Bilton. All the other local services were renumbered at the same time, those to Bilton in the 20x series and the rest of them in the 1xx series. Eventually congestion meant the cross town services were truncated at Harrogate and the need for the three digit numbering ceased however the 1xx series remained in use by NYCC for their now scrapped tendered services and when Connexions took a couple on commercially, one of which has now been scrapped, they renumbered them with an X prefix.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
And how old are you?

If anyone wants to know whether the Transdev approach works, take a look at the way that the 36 goes from strength to strength (despite competition from the train) whilst the First service X84 from Skipton/ Ilkley into Leeds hasn't had the same growth - Arriva's commuter services from south of Leeds seem to be going backwards whilst Transdev's services from north of Leeds do well - maybe there are some wacky gimmicks, maybe the livery isn't a dull corporation one with sombre colours like maroon/ navy/ dark green (like bus companies had in the "good old days") but it works - Transdev are doing well in some relatively marginal territory (e.g. the excuse that First struggle due to post-industrial demand in an internet age in economically depressed towns of northern England is obviously a valid one but Transdev seem to be doing well enough in Keighley/ Burnley etc - or at least not crashing and burning like some bits of First).

Agree with this in the main - the X84 vs. 36 isn't quite a full comparison as the rail line from Airedale has a much greater time advantage over Harrogate line vs the buses. However, you'd also think that Transdev might do a better job on the X84 than First.

Transdev aren't perfect and I'd argue that no one is saying they are. They have made some false steps - the Manchester to Leeds CityZap being the most obvious and the wisdom of which I questioned at the time. However, they are certainly having a go and making a better fist of things than others. Some liveries and branding may come across as gimmicky but, if they slow/arrest/reverse the decline of certain services, then that's something to be welcomed.

cnjb8

Established Member

If they use some sort of logic with the renumbering, e.g. XX1 becomes R1, XX2 becomes R2 it wont be so bad. However because the route numbers cover such large range it is bound to cause confusion amongst the elderly regular passengers who have been used to catching the 462 for years. R6 will mean nothing to them, nor will a fancy new brand. In the same respect, a new route number wouldn't entice me out of my car onto the bus either. A tidy, clean, reliable bus service would though.

I personally think that Blazefield Holdings had it relatively sussed with a standard and unique livery on a modern clean fleet, and route branding on top of that where required and/or one flagship route (X43 Burnley, 36 at Harrogate, etc). This works a lot better than having a lot of confusing brands where branded vehicles often find themselves off route. The X41 in Blackburn has seen RedEx branded deckers, yellow and blue Lancashire United and blue and blue Blackburn Bus Company brands on it on a daily basis. Not that amazing really, is it? Harrogate is fairly unique in that most of their buses are in the same base livery, aside from 36 and PotN, so if a bus appears off route it doesn't look too much out of place. Same with Coastliner to an extent.

There's no denying though that some of the schemes Transdev are doing to get people onto the bus works, and works well. The 36 in Harrogate, and the Sunday Freeway services in Harrogate (and Rosso on the Red4). I'd be highly surprised if these don't increase passenger numbers in the long run. Well, in Harrogate at least. The Red4 seems to be struggling by all accounts.

Obviously not everyone agrees, and thats fine I don't expect them to. And some people will probably think I'm 'Transdev bashing' and thats fine too I guess, but I'm not. It's just my opinions. Think what you want.

As for Alex Hornby, I've only met him in person a couple of times. Had a brief chat, seems decent enough. I've not had any bad dealings with him or his 'minions'/senior management so can't comment. In fact, most of my contact with Transdev has been complimentary, only once sending in a complaint but even that was more of a suggestion regarding a less than ideal bus stop location that drivers often don't spot.
Renumbering isn't going to force people out of their cars. Maybe once renumbered and established, it will become easier for passengers. But that raises the point of what was the point of renumbering if it had the exact same effect pre renumbering?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And how old are you?

Agree with this in the main - the X84 vs. 36 isn't quite a full comparison as the rail line from Airedale has a much greater time advantage over Harrogate line vs the buses. However, you'd also think that Transdev might do a better job on the X84 than First.

Transdev aren't perfect and I'd argue that no one is saying they are. They have made some false steps - the Manchester to Leeds CityZap being the most obvious and the wisdom of which I questioned at the time. However, they are certainly having a go and making a better fist of things than others. Some liveries and branding may come across as gimmicky but, if they slow/arrest/reverse the decline of certain services, then that's something to be welcomed.

The 36 Vs X84 is a perfect example.

In the last 30 years the frequency of the 36 has tripled at many times. There are good tickets that cover the whole route - and connections in Harrogate or Leeds (on Transdev). There are earlier and later journeys and good quality buses.

The frequency of the X84 has dropped,with the hours of operation reduced, especially North of Ilkley.
Between Ilkley and Otley the frequency has remained at 2ph, but 20/40.

Until recently there was no day or season ticket valid on the X84 in North Yorkshire.

And they didn't need to renumber the 36.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I don't like route branding or gimmicks. I would prefer to see a standard livery for the whole fleet. Also all this route renumbering will just cause confusion. The Todmorden - Bacup -Rawtenstall service has had about seven different numbers in the last 16 years.

Hebden Bridge local services were once numbered from A to E, but were renumbered into the 59* series range of numbers that are local to that area.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If anyone wants to know whether the Transdev approach works, take a look at the way that the 36 goes from strength to strength (despite competition from the train) whilst the First service X84 from Skipton/ Ilkley into Leeds hasn't had the same growth - Arriva's commuter services from south of Leeds seem to be going backwards whilst Transdev's services from north of Leeds do well - maybe there are some wacky gimmicks, maybe the livery isn't a dull corporation one with sombre colours like maroon/ navy/ dark green (like bus companies had in the "good old days") but it works

My memory may play me false, but at one time, was the Accrington Corporation livery navy and dark red?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

In the last 30 years the frequency of the 36 has tripled at many times. There are good tickets that cover the whole route - and connections in Harrogate or Leeds (on Transdev). There are earlier and later journeys and good quality buses.

The frequency of the X84 has dropped,with the hours of operation reduced, especially North of Ilkley.

Until recently there was no day or season ticket valid on the X84 in North Yorkshire.

Let me say that I don't dispute that Transdev and Blazefield in the past have done a superb job. They would have done a good job with the X84.

However, the competition from the rail line to Ilkley and Skipton is a lot stronger than from Harrogate. The 36 is almost comparable in terms of running time (centre to centre) and is competing against Pacers and Sprinters. Ilkley and Skipton are 30/45 mins from Leeds compared to 75/100 mins on the X84. The rolling stock is also a damn sight better. Hence I think that it's not quite the comparison as the 36 does have some inherent advantages.

That being said, it is to Transdev's credit that they have really exploited the market to the level that they have and they have maximised what they can bring.

daodao

Established Member

I used WYRCC/UAS route 36 in the 1960s and 1970s on quite a number of occasions as my grandparents lived near Alwoodley Gates. I have just looked up the current timetable and note that the service frequency is significantly better than it was 50 years ago, when the weekday frequency was every 15 minutes between Leeds (Vicar Lane) and Harrogate, with alternate buses extending to Ripon. It is now every 10 minutes from Leeds to Harrogate, and every 20 minutes to Ripon. How many bus routes have seen an increase in frequency since the 1960s?

For comparison, from my childhood home near Southern Cemetery via Princess Road to Manchester city centre, there are now only 8 stopping buses per hour on weekdays (101/102/103), compared to 20 buses per hour (19 MCT including 6 per hour limited stop, and 1 per hour NWRCC) in the 1960s. There are no longer any buses running along Barlow Moor Road that extend to the city centre, except for a few in rush hours on route 86; in the 1960s there were 2 all day routes (81 and 94) each running every 15 minutes.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hebden Bridge local services were once numbered from A to E, but were renumbered into the 59* series range of numbers that are local to that area.

A to I when they first got letters (including some short-lived new services). Before that H1 to H6.
The A to Es were renumbered 594,595,596,597,599,901. And then the 591 and 593 were withdrawn.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A to I when they first got letters (including some short-lived new services). Before that H1 to H6.
The A to Es were renumbered 594,595,596,597,599,901. And then the 591 and 593 were withdrawn.

We have fond memories of looking out for service E to Blackshaw Head from the stance outside the lawned garden area in the centre of Hebden Bridge, as that service did the famous hill-climb up to Heptonstall, followed by a run up the very narrow cobbled street there, then a nice country run to Blackshaw Head, which was well worth the money for that ride.

Were there once connecting services to East Lancashire from there?

RustySpoons

We have fond memories of looking out for service E to Blackshaw Head from the stance outside the lawned garden area in the centre of Hebden Bridge, as that service did the famous hill-climb up to Heptonstall, followed by a run up the very narrow cobbled street there, then a nice country run to Blackshaw Head, which was well worth the money for that ride.

Were there once connecting services to East Lancashire from there?

There was the 517, which ran twice on a Saturday from Halifax to Hebden Bridge, then up to Heptonstall and on to Blackshaw Head and over to Burnley. It was withdrawn two or three years ago if I recall. That is the only one I'm aware of though, but it was only in the early 2000's that it came to my attention. No idea if it ran more frequently before then or if there were other services.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I used WYRCC/UAS route 36 in the 1960s and 1970s on quite a number of occasions as my grandparents lived near Alwoodley Gates. I have just looked up the current timetable and note that the service frequency is significantly better than it was 50 years ago, when the weekday frequency was every 15 minutes between Leeds (Vicar Lane) and Harrogate, with alternate buses extending to Ripon. It is now every 10 minutes from Leeds to Harrogate, and every 20 minutes to Ripon. How many bus routes have seen an increase in frequency since the 1960s?

For comparison, from my childhood home near Southern Cemetery via Princess Road to Manchester city centre, there are now only 8 stopping buses per hour on weekdays (101/102/103), compared to 20 buses per hour (19 MCT including 6 per hour limited stop, and 1 per hour NWRCC) in the 1960s. There are no longer any buses running along Barlow Moor Road that extend to the city centre, except for a few in rush hours on route 86; in the 1960s there were 2 all day routes (81 and 94) each running every 15 minutes.

Not only that but after the swingeing cuts to bus support in North Yorkshire in August 1981, the 36 dropped to half hourly with only hourly extensions to Ripon

Roilshead

There was the 517, which ran twice on a Saturday from Halifax to Hebden Bridge, then up to Heptonstall and on to Blackshaw Head and over to Burnley. It was withdrawn two or three years ago if I recall. That is the only one I'm aware of though, but it was only in the early 2000's that it came to my attention. No idea if it ran more frequently before then or if there were other services.
This was the rump of the old hourly Hebble 15: Leeds - Dudley Hill - Halifax - Hebden Bridge - Blackshaw Head - Burnley. This used to be the Halifax - Burnley route, and interworked with 28 Leeds - Halifax - Ripponden - Rochdale between Halifax and Leeds. Latterly, until the dismemberment of Hebble during 1971, it was double-decked between Leeds - Halifax and single decked between Halifax - Burnley, but conductors worked Leeds - Hebden Bridge, where they picked up the Burnley - Halifax single decker, leaving the bus to run on to Burnley omo (and vice versa). Halifax JOC ran Halifax - Hebden Bridge - Heptonstall on the alternate half-hours.

In February 1971 the Hebble route was taken over by Halifax JOC and both routes then ran via Heptonstall, with the ex-Halifax route being extended to Blackshaw Head.

In September 1971, following the merger of Halifax and Todmorden JOCs, the main Hailtax - Burnley service was formed from a merger of Halifax's Halifax - Hebden Bridge interests and Todmorden's Hebden Bridge - Todmoden - Burnley interests (the current pattern dates from time, although for a few months there was an hourly Halifax - Todmorden - Cross Lee Estate stopper and an hourly Leeds - Halifax - Todmorden - Burnley limited stop, before Leeds - Halifax was separated and Halifax - Burnley became an hourley stopper, with Todmorden - Cross Lee being severed into a local service). With the trunk Halifax - Burnley route now through Todmorden the route via Blackshaw Head was reduced to a couple of journeys on a Saturday and Wednesday (I think!), and that's how things settled down until deregulation.

At deregulation, Yorkshire Rider cut back the Halifax - Hebden Bridge - Blackshaw Head (really the middle of nowhere) route to Heptonstall, and ran a minibus out to Blackshaw Head as part of their Hebden Bridge "H-series" Micro-Rider routes. But the Halifax - Hebden Bridge - Blackshaw Head - Burnley route struggled on, latterly just on a Saturday . . . until it was killed a couple of years ago (and changes to the Hebden Bridge - Heptonstall/Blackshaw Head routes will have been numerous).

The Blackshaw Head route was really something to be experienced, remembering an hourly Leeds - Burnley route once ran over Blackshw Head. I last did it in an Alexander Dash/Dennis Dart a couple of years before it folded (by which time it was an '"oh no!"-Solo'), but that was nothing compared to the Reliances and Leopards I'd experienced on the route in WYPTE and CJOC days.

SCH117X

Established Member
The 10 minute frequency between Leeds and Harrogate is quite recent and they are claiming a 28% increase in passengers although some of that may be due to it now that calling at all stops in Leeds. The off peak frequency was 15 mins prior to that with every bus continuing to Ripon so the Ripon section has seen a decrease in journeys albeit back to the frequency that existed previous to the 15 min one for the full route; there was a significant drop in frequency to that which you refer as by the late 80s it was half hourly to Harrogate and hourly onto Ripon, albeit there were competing services on the Harrogate-Ripon section.
The service competes well against the train for many journeys; for example a few weeks back I left an appointment in Leeds in the north of the city centre and using the 36 connected onto a local service in Harrogate whereas if I had walked fast across Leeds to the train station the train I would have caught was scheduled to arrive at Harrogate 1 minute before that local service left the adjacent bus station.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The 10 minute frequency between Leeds and Harrogate is quite recent and they are claiming a 28% increase in passengers although some of that may be due to it now that calling at all stops in Leeds. The off peak frequency was 15 mins prior to that with every bus continuing to Ripon so the Ripon section has seen a decrease in journeys albeit back to the frequency that existed previous to the 15 min one for the full route; there was a significant drop in frequency to that which you refer as by the late 80s it was half hourly to Harrogate and hourly onto Ripon, albeit there were competing services on the Harrogate-Ripon section.
The service competes well against the train for many journeys; for example a few weeks back I left an appointment in Leeds in the north of the city centre and using the 36 connected onto a local service in Harrogate whereas if I had walked fast across Leeds to the train station the train I would have caught was scheduled to arrive at Harrogate 1 minute before that local service left the adjacent bus station.

Think 1981-8, it was hourly between Ripon and Harrogate. Bit better now!

Stan Drews

Established Member
One of the #Amazing Enviro 400s have been in service today, though the mirror arm position is questionable...
Credit to Johnathon on Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/2gKjTd4
Makes you wonder if the driver has never experienced a bus with the n/s mirror viewed through the windscreen? o_Oo_O
Suspect the summer foliage or urban street furniture would quickly make its mark!! :D:D

SCH117X

Established Member
Think 1981-8, it was hourly between Ripon and Harrogate. Bit better now!
It carried on as hourly until after Blazefield took over the United Ripon operation in 1996. It probably increased in frequency to half houlry when the ex United X36 between Ripon and Harrogate was withdrawn in Feb 1997 when the Ripon depot closed. It increased to a 20 minute interval in late 1998.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It carried on as hourly until after Blazefield took over the United Ripon operation in 1996. It probably increased in frequency to half houlry when the ex United X36 between Ripon and Harrogate was withdrawn in Feb 1997 when the Ripon depot closed. It increased to a 20 minute interval in late 1998.

I meant that the corridor (whether it be the 6, 36 or X36) between Ripon and Harrogate via South Stainley was hourly until the HIT 6 appeared and then the United X36 (coughing Stotty Boxes and all) was introduced.

Established Member
There isn't anything wrong with it at all. I've often said that Transdev Blazefield are one of the few companies that actually come across like they're actually trying. However when you start calling everything, even the mundane, it means nothing. 18 year old B10s too big for the local services they're now running on aren't amazing, for example.

If everything is amazing, nothing is.

I know they have to try to put a positive spin on things, but it really does grate when the news is bad. They aren't using the word amazing this time, but the latest news in Burnley is that due to the fantastic success of the Mainline service, they're reducing the frequency and removing journeys across Burnley. Combined with the B10s, all Burnley's routes except the Witch Way have been downgraded in the past year. Whatever Transdev are doing isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.