• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
Thanks, much appreciated. Far too many big gaps for me. This was made obvious recently when a good friend of mine looked at my map and said "What?! Not been to Aberdeen?!"

Even I've been to The Granite City! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
But you live around 300 miles closer to it than I! :p

Time for me to get my HST basher hat back on (not had it on for the last week or so it seems) and get to ABD on the double!

me123

Established Member
But you live around 300 miles closer to it than I! :p

Time for me to get my HST basher hat back on (not had it on for the last week or so it seems) and get to ABD on the double!

Great Line up to ABD: and of course you can still get Valentas without much difficulty on NXEC. Get yourself to Leeds and you can take the morning train up and the same two back with almost two hours to see the city.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Everyone come to ABERDEEEEEEEN!!!!!

It's fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's going a bit far... ;)

me123

Established Member
I'd give you some, but I don't have that money either :( And if I did, I'd be buying a long-distance ticket for myself :razz:

djw1981

Established Member
Pitiful I know... but now exams are over I finally got to grips with MS Paint and did it.

Attachments

• coverage 31may08.GIF
    coverage 31may08.GIF
    103.5 KB · Views: 57

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I be in denial...It's still a Y-P to me as I've still got a Y-P. When it comes to renewing it, then it'll be a 16-25 card to me. 8)

me123

Established Member
On an Advance ticket, though, it starts from as little as £15 from NCL to ABD! And, if you do the first one up (from Leeds) and the last one back down, you can't miss your return journey: it's the same train and AFAIK no trains are stabled in Clayhills during the day.

1D53

Established Member
Its one continous diagram, I've followed the whole thing, all 1070 miles of it.

0710 Leeds - Aberdeen
1450 Aberdeen - Kings Cross
2330 Kings Cross - Leeds

me123

Established Member
My favourite diagram :D

What I was getting at, though, was that there is no HST based in Aberdeen during the day, so when the 0710 ex Leeds arrives it must form the train that forms the southbound 1450 departure. As a result, you are cannot miss your SB train if your NB train is severely delayed (unless the SB train is cancelled, obviously) and there is more AP ticket security as a result.

1D53

Established Member
My favourite diagram :D

What I was getting at, though, was that there is no HST based in Aberdeen during the day, so when the 0710 ex Leeds arrives it must form the train that forms the southbound 1450 departure. As a result, you are cannot miss your SB train if your NB train is severely delayed (unless the SB train is cancelled, obviously) and there is more AP ticket security as a result.
Yeah you are right, in fact I've done it on AP's, for just £15 the full run and also done it as far as Doncaster on the return too.

IIRC at KGX there is only one HST in at the time of 2330 (the ex Aberdeen) so that can be the only one going out unless there is a spare at Bounds Green they can pull.

Aussie_Rail

Probably the shortest distance travelled here, but set to change in the not too distant future:

Mill Hill Broadway to St Albans
London, Victoria to Slough
Slough to Windsor
London, Victoria to Brighton

But thats in the United Kingdom, here it would be:

All Melbourne Suburban lines

Melbourne, Southern Cross to:
Seymour
Ballarat
Arrarat (Overland train to Adelaide)
Geelong
Bendigo

Seymour to Geelong
Arrarat to Southern Cross

Ipswich to somewhere in Brisbane

Ryan.

Last edited:

Gizmogle

Established Member
Why thank you!

We should be seeing some more Scotland and Wales very shortly :)

will1337

Lucky! I'll be up north from Wednesday so can do a freedom of the North West, but I have terrible coverage in the SWT, Southern and Southeastern covered bits despite my location. It's just a lot cheaper in the North West.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah. Despite the fact that I live really close to Manchester, my coverage around there sucks. *shrugs*

will1337

It's always exciting to wander further afield though. I think that Manchester is my favourite place to explore and bash from, I stay in Romiley 3 or 4 times a year and there are so many varied railway lines and places within a few hours reach, whereas at home to get to most places it's about an hour and a half of boring travelling through London or the Waterloo - Reading line which have both been done so many times before, just to start the journey.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, well, it's an 45mins for me to get anywhere useful as I'm on a branch line. The problem with Manchester and anything Northern is that the connections are awful, which is why I find Southern, SWT and SE some much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.