• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Specific Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

glynn80

Established Member
I am doing some ticketing research and am looking for some Route Specific Tickets e.g. Route High Wycombe, Route Woking etc.

If anyone knows of any local examples near them could they please post them below.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan_atki

Established Member
If it's the routeings given on tickets you're interested in rather than the origin and destination too, a full list of such routeings is in the zip attached to http://www.railforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=306001&postcount=12 (RTE.txt)... some rather interesting entries in there towards the end I have to say!

Southampton to Brighton is a favourite - Barnham/Not London/+Any Permitted/XC only
(Any use to the XC only fare now!?).

glynn80

Established Member
If it's the routeings given on tickets you're interested in rather than the origin and destination too, a full list of such routeings is in the zip attached to http://www.railforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=306001&postcount=12 (RTE.txt)... some rather interesting entries in there towards the end I have to say!

Cheers for that, it'll certainly be helpful to search for them. But really it was specific point to point examples.

I like Route: ATW & PATHFINDER, is that referring to the railtour company:D

tony_mac

Established Member
Here's a few that I know of, is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

St Helens Ctl - Southport, route Wigan or Liverpool
Wavertree Tech Park - Chester, route Warrington or Birkenhead
Hooton - Crewe route Chester
Liverpool - Carlise route Lancaster
Lancaster - Carlisle route Penrith

glynn80

Established Member
Here's a few that I know of, is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

St Helens Ctl - Southport, route Wigan or Liverpool
Wavertree Tech Park - Chester, route Warrington or Birkenhead
Hooton - Crewe route Chester
Liverpool - Carlise route Lancaster
Lancaster - Carlisle route Penrith

Yes this is exactly the sort of thing I'm after!!

me123

Established Member
Motherwell-Edinburgh route NOT GLASGOW (also for Whifflet, Coatbridge Central...)
Glasgow-Preston route CARLISLE
Glasgow-Carlisle route DUMFRIES

These are all sensible ones from my area.

OwlMan

Established Member
Coventry - Aberdeen Route Lancaster - surprisingly there is no other alternative as there is not an any permitted fare although there are other routes in the routeing guide

Coventry - Abercynon Route Birmingham
Coventry - Abercynon Route Reading not Lond; - the only two options available

Coventry to Abergavenny route Worcester
Coventry to Abergavenny any permitted

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What I want is:

* A list of all "route xyz" flows, specifically for flows where trains do NOT call at the place "xyz"
examples:
Basingstoke to London (Route Woking) - fast trains do not call;
Birmingham & related stns to London (Route High Wycombe) - ditto;

This is because WSMR claim that, because they do not call at Brum, they can reject route Brum tickets. I need route specific tickets where trains do not call at the routed station to prove the point that trains do NOT need to call.

* I also want a list of all flows routed "Direct"; ideally for a few years ago (e.g. NFM95 which is the first leaked Avantix Traveller) AND for the current NFM03.

This is because there is evidence that "Route Direct" is being abolished (see my new article in Railtalk June edition which will be out soon).

If I can get that info it would be a massive help! :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London to Aylesbury (but not Aylesbury to London), route Chalfont & Latimer, some peak trains don't call

First class

Established Member
Dover to London route NOT VALID ON HS1
WBQ-PNZ route BRISTOL
Stranraer-London route DUMFRIES

tony_mac

Established Member
there's boundary zone 6 to Reading - route Slough, where not all trains stop.

Stockport to Sheffield has a 'route direct'.
Broad Green to Warrington has a 'route direct', which I think is actually new in NFM03, but I can't check here.

dan_atki

Established Member
* I also want a list of all flows routed "Direct"; ideally for a few years ago (e.g. NFM95 which is the first leaked Avantix Traveller) AND for the current NFM03.

One of my favourites is London Bridge to London Waterloo - quite how you go direct is beyond me... the ticket should say 'London Watrloo E' for the route to be direct! Though that's just me being picky.

Also LBG to CHX and WAT to CHX, LBG to CST, and surprisingly even CST to WAT! Even if that is to WAE it still wouldn't be direct :? CST to CHX also exists but not CST to BFR... (CHX to BFR exists as route 'Not Underground' though).

Certainly a lot of anomalies in the fares system with the south London terminals.

glynn80

Established Member
The route "Direct" flows I know of are:

Berwick to Alnmouth

Selby to Bentley Yorks

Stockport to Sheffield

Broad Green to Warrington has a 'route direct', which I think is actually new in NFM03, but I can't check here.

Broad Green to Warrington does indeed have both Route Direct and Route Liverpool fares.

tony_mac

Established Member
Broad Green to Warrington does indeed have both Route Direct and Route Liverpool fares.
Yes, but I think that it didn't in NFM02, but I can't check that atm.

Reading to Gatwick Airport route Gomshall. I only had a quick look, but I didn't see any direct train that actually stops there.

glynn80

Established Member
Yes, but I think that it didn't in NFM02, but I can't check that atm.

I've just checked the FRPP for the NFM02 and Broad Green to Warrington Stns did have both a Route Direct and a Route Liverpool Fare.

tony_mac

Established Member
sorry, I must have imagined it then!
I may have confused it with Wavertree Tech Park, which doesn't have these routes.

ashworth

Established Member
Sheffield to Blackpool North (Route Leeds)

Considerable cheaper than the usual more direct route via Manchester especially at peak times.
Anytime Return £43.40 (Manchester)
Off peak return £34.50 (Manchester)
Anytime Return £29.60 (Leeds) No Offpeak return available

I bet they don't tell you about this much cheaper route when you ask for a return to Blackpool at Sheffield!

clagmonster

Established Member
Barnsley-Manchester, route Sheffield or Huddersfield. There is no any permitted ticket.

John @ home

Established Member
I also want a list of all flows routed "Direct"

The route DIRECT fares I encounter most frequently are between West Yorkshire and the Yorkshire coast. It seems that the only walk-on fares are route DIRECT for fares between Group A and Group B where:

Group A = Leeds, Cross Gates, Garforth, East Garforth, Micklefield, Burley Park, Headingley, Horsforth (Note 1), Bramley W Yorks, Cottingley, Morley and Woodlesford (but not Church Fenton, South Milford (Note 2), Weeton (Note 3), Guiseley, Shipley, Batley, Outwood, Normanton, Castleford (Note 3) or beyond).

Group B = Scarborough, Seamer, Filey and Hunmanby (but not Malton, Bempton or beyond).

Notes
1. Horsforth to Scarborough is 73.25 miles via Leeds and 75 miles via Harrogate. There are no through trains. The Routeing Guide states "Journeys on direct trains or taking the route of shortest distance or a distance longer by no more than 3 miles are always following a permitted route." So both are permitted routes. The only fare is Route DIRECT. What does the word direct mean in this instance?

2. There are no fares at all between South Milford and the 4 stations in Group B.

3. Between Castleford or Weeton and the 4 stations in Group B there are Route Not Leeds and more expensive Any Permitted fares.

John

First class

Established Member
I assume 'route direct' to mean by the shortest or quickest route only. i.e. disregard the routing guide.

These are generally legacy fares that simply haven't been removed, probably because TOCs are unaware they still exist.

John @ home

Established Member
I assume 'route direct' to mean by the shortest or quickest route only.

But which? To take the Horsforth - Scarborough example above:
- if 'route direct' means by the shortest route only, the ticket is valid via Harrogate only (unless the reference to longer by no more than 3 miles can be regarded as an easement, but this seems to apply only to permitted routes)
- if 'route direct' means by the quickest route only, the ticket is valid via Leeds only
- if 'route direct' means by the shortest route or the quickest route, the ticket is valid via Harrogate or Leeds
- if 'route direct' means by a through train only, the ticket is not valid by any route.

These are generally legacy fares that simply haven't been removed, probably because TOCs are unaware they still exist.

This may be the case where there is a choice of 'route direct' and a more expensive ticket, eg Any Permitted. But it doesn't explain the position where 'route direct' is the only ticket available between a pair of stations, as in the 48 combinations between Group A and Group B stations above.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.