• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RSS Boaty McBoatface (polar research ship naming competition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
I so want to link to a NewsThump article about a similar poll, but fear I would fall foul of more than one forum rule.

Go to NewsThump and search 'George Osborne', (definitely NSFW).

:lol:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
goodness sake - it isn't going to be called Boaty McBoatface regardless of any internet poll. It is not the general election! :roll: What will happen is what always happens when these sort of polls are run and return a silly verdict: The silly name will be disqualified and replaced by a more appropriate name. But you must all know that............

Better still - not to have run the bloody poll in the first place. There have been plenty of lessons in recent times.

It is a bit daft tbh but they made their own bed. Really I would like to see it carry the name for one day, or something similarly nominal, and then change to something sensible.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I am afraid that I have jumped onto the bandwagon here, although I am leaving it up to others to respond with the obvious; had to split it over two tweets though:

https://twitter.com/Peter_Mugridge/status/712277084060651522

https://twitter.com/Peter_Mugridge/status/712277326332043265

#Announcement: Following the interest in the #BoatyMcBoatface affair, one of our #water companies would like to invite the public... 1/2

#Annoucement 2/2 ....to name a new hi-tech #sewage #treatment facility that is being built. Now, what can we call it....?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Correct, I am. It was meant just to raise a smile or two on 2P94 but it somehow got picked up by the media, when I got home a few hours later I was quite taken aback at the response!

Wow, it went viral really quickly didn't it! Not surprised though.

ExRes

Established Member
Thank God the new ship isn't due to enter service until 2019, this suggested 'name' should've been forgotten by then leaving it able to be named after the then leaders of the free world, so RRS google it will be

Clip

Established Member
Ive voted many times for mcboaty boatface.

Well at least twice.

Perfect name for it

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Personally I think RRS Boaty McBoatFace is a brilliant name. It's funny, quirky, original, kinda works for something that is after all a - umm - boat, not (so far as I can tell) obviously obscene (though there's always the possibility of some hidden meaning that I've missed ;) ), and because of the quirky humour will probably end up inspiring far more interest in the boat and therefore in the research it does than any 'serious' name that NERC might end up choosing. And more importantly, it's more likely to inspire interest from people who would ordinarily just ignore anything 'scientific' or 'academic' - exactly the kind of people that organizations such as NERC should be seeking to reach out to if they want science to be seen more broadly as relevant and exciting.

I think if that name does win the poll, and NERC nevertheless reject it, they'd be making a serious mistake. (Seriously ;) ).

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
Correct, I am. It was meant just to raise a smile or two on 2P94 but it somehow got picked up by the media, when I got home a few hours later I was quite taken aback at the response!

At least management seem to be backing you. Our lot would be a no tea and biscuit chat.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At least management seem to be backing you. Our lot would be a no tea and biscuit chat.

You get it a fair bit on LM and I've never heard of anyone being shouted at for it despite also being Govia. Though it is mostly seen not on trains in service but on ECS and on arrival at the final stop (the "Late Again!" one I saw) - so no scope to mislead anyone.

EssexGonzo

Technically, shouldn't the correct name be Shippy McShipface? I can't recall the demarcation line between a boat and a ship.......

Domh245

Established Member
Technically, shouldn't the correct name be Shippy McShipface? I can't recall the demarcation line between a boat and a ship.......

A ship can carry a boat, but not the other way around. As RSS BMcB has got some smaller vessels on board, it should (in my opinion) be RSS Shippy McShipface

Class377

I note that the newspaper in the link is the Irish Examiner.

??? Your point? It's still a news source.

I just hope that a vessel that is to be performing such duties is not to be seen to be carrying such a puerile name of the type in the OP. Does anyone want to see Britain made the laughing stock of the world....<(

I think the stereotypical "stuffy posh Englishman with no sense of humour" is more likely to be a laughing stock than the name of a boat that has already seen a positive reaction from the internet. I've seen people voting for this name from other countries too, does that mean we're allowed to laugh at those people?

At any rate, I'm not sure people will care about the name of a single boat in 3 years time when it's actually in service, so "laughing stock of the world" is pure hyperbole...

Noting the "Mc" part of the puerile poll name leader, does that signify any non-English connection?

Is it illegal for someone English to have "Mc" in their name? Does the poll state that the name has to be entirely English? Or are you having another pop at this for the sake of it?

Clip

Established Member

A boat goes under the water and a ship goes on top of the water.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Is it illegal for someone English to have "Mc" in their name? Does the poll state that the name has to be entirely English? Or are you having another pop at this for the sake of it?

I thought you would have the sense to realise that it was the name of a ship that I was discussing....not a person. I wonder just how clear some postings need to be for certain people to comprehend....<(

DaleCooper

Established Member
I thought you would have the sense to realise that it was the name of a ship that I was discussing....not a person. I wonder just how clear some postings need to be for certain people to comprehend....<(

The point is that it's a UK ship, not solely English, therefore any name from one of the member countries countries would be appropriate. As for anyone not realising you were discussing the name of a ship they would have to be as obtuse as you are pretending to be.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think the stereotypical "stuffy posh Englishman with no sense of humour" is more likely to be a laughing stock than the name of a boat that has already seen a positive reaction from the internet. I've seen people voting for this name from other countries too, does that mean we're allowed to laugh at those people?

If what you say is true, then heaven help the continuation of lowering of education comprehension matters that has taken place since the end of the Second World War, fostered by a general lowering of standards in Britain, where pandering to the lowest of respect acceptance appears to be the norm.

Perhaps you need to watch an episode or two of The Jeremy Kyle Show, Celebrity Juice, and other like television programmes, to see how matters have plummeted.

DaleCooper

Established Member
If what you say is true, then heaven help the continuation of lowering of education comprehension matters that has taken place since the end of the Second World War, fostered by a general lowering of standards in Britain, where pandering to the lowest of respect acceptance appears to be the norm.

You might want to reread that sentence and adjust the grammar and punctuation so as to make your meaning clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.