• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RSS Boaty McBoatface (polar research ship naming competition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Aww... I wanted to see RRS Boaty McBoatface hit the seas :(. It would have served as a global reminder about the sensible use of social media! Attenborough is, on a more serious note, a brilliant name and my own personal favourite.

Fans of Boaty need not fear however - RRS David Attenborough shall carry a small submersible vessel called... "Boaty McBaotface" :D

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
RRS Sir David Attenborough it is then, sounds a bit more sensible than the childish Boatface.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/06/new-r...id-attenborough-not-boaty-mcboatface-5864080/
As far as I'm concerned, Democracy is DEAD.
I never voted for that name but it won fair and square.
It was a valid name, unique fun, and well known.
Next all votes will be ignored for the Raving Mad Lunatic Party for the same reason. A vote being delibratly ignored is anti freedom of expression.

If it were today, we'd have never allowed Beagle or Nimrod too I suspect. :(

DarloRich

Veteran Member
did anyone ACTUALLY think this vessel was ever going to be named Boaty McBoatface? really?

The RSS were always going to reject such silly names. It is hardly unprecedented for an on line poll to be hijacked in such a way.

Railops

I imagine the vast majority of people who voted for the stupid name were probably still at school as I know there was an orchestrated campaign in schools.
My daughter's school even mentioned it in the assembly as the one to go for.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I imagine the vast majority of people who voted for the stupid name were probably still at school as I know there was an orchestrated campaign in schools.

and? What is the issue? The "stupid name" was never going to be chosen!

ExRes

Established Member
As far as I'm concerned, Democracy is DEAD.
I never voted for that name but it won fair and square.
It was a valid name, unique fun, and well known.
Next all votes will be ignored for the Raving Mad Lunatic Party for the same reason. A vote being delibratly ignored is anti freedom of expression.

If it were today, we'd have never allowed Beagle or Nimrod too I suspect. :(

I'm not sure if your post is actually serious or written with tongue in cheek, whatever though, I believe that the 'naming' idea was for suggestions, I think you'll find that the word suggestion means something that is suggested for consideration, it was never a case of the suggestion leader being used as a serious name

'Anti freedom of expression'?, please

Johnuk123

Established Member

I didn't know it was so widespread when my 16 yr old told me she'd been told to get on line and vote for some ship I thought it was only at her school.

dcsprior

Maybe people and the media will still refer to it as Boaty McBoatface, but it's official name will be David Attenborough. That'd perhapsbbe the best of both worlds - its choosen name for everyday use, but a sensible official name if the boat was ever involved in an accident, etc

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

12CSVT

Established Member

phoenixcronin

I'm glad they chose a respectable name, as it would be a national embarrassment for a serious research vessel to be named "BoatyMcBoatface" just because some trolls hijacked a poll.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Pedantic question.

Will they really include 'Sir' in the ship's name? Despite all the media reports, the convention with previous RRS namings has been that only the name is used, not the title.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm glad they chose a respectable name, as it would be a national embarrassment for a serious research vessel to be named "BoatyMcBoatface" just because some trolls hijacked a poll.

Indeed, and all those who were pushing for the silly name will now be known as Eggy McEggface. :lol:

Domh245

Established Member

A lot of them may well have also been based in the US. It really took off on a number of websites with a large number of American users (and has spawned many parodies over there as well, eg bussy mcbusface)

me123

Established Member
I'm not sure if your post is actually serious or written with tongue in cheek, whatever though, I believe that the 'naming' idea was for suggestions, I think you'll find that the word suggestion means something that is suggested for consideration, it was never a case of the suggestion leader being used as a serious name

'Anti freedom of expression'?, please

Agreed. The people who run this should have taken lessons from previous examples. Like when Mountain Dew ran a similar campaign to name a new Apple flavoured drink - they had to stop it when the winning names (at least the ones I can mention here) included "Diabeetus" and "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong".

They should, perhaps, have taken a suggestion from the Scottish and New Zealand Governments, who ran high profile campaigns to name the New Forth Bridge and replace their national flag respectively. They welcomed suggestions and narrowed it down to a shortlist. In Scotland, we had a good sensible list of names to choose from (Queensferry Crossing, St Margaret's Crossing, Caledonia Bridge), and New Zealanders got some really good flags. There were still some silly entires (May The Forth Be With You, and these interesting flags) that were vetoed on the grounds of appropriateness.

To compare it to a national election is not really accurate. People generally engage with democracy in a positive and informed way - after all, the elected candidate will be representing you at some form of government. As such, the loonies and other comedy parties are unlikely to get any real foothold. On the other hand, very few of us will be directly affected by the name of a research ship, other than perhaps laughing when HM states "I name this ship Boaty McBoatface". Besides, this is not a legally binding poll, as parliamentary elections are. This was a glorified suggestion box.

TheEdge

Established Member
Meanwhile everyone is talking about an Antarctic research ship. Best PR stunt ever, no way could NERC ever have hoped for this level of engagement.

I mean no one is talking this much about the 4 other NERC vessels or the two BAS ships, HMS Protector or the literally dozens of other UK registered research vessels.

talltim

Established Member
All we have to do now is get David Attenborough to change his name to Boaty McBoatface and everyone is happy

backontrack

Established Member
Agreed. The people who run this should have taken lessons from previous examples. Like when Mountain Dew ran a similar campaign to name a new Apple flavoured drink - they had to stop it when the winning names (at least the ones I can mention here) included "Diabeetus" and "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong".

You stole that from Jon Holmes! :p

Personally, I'd have preferred the RRS Dr. John Rae - while Attenborough is a national treasure (the only one fully deserving of the term) and one of the greatest Brits ever, it's not like his legacy will go unheralded like Rae's. Attenborough will have all sorts of things named after him - but what about the polar explorer that found the fabled North Western Passage and succeeded where Franklin failed? Even Holyrood seems to have forgotten him.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
You stole that from Jon Holmes! :p

I had to Google who that was - no I didn't, I don't listen to Radio X. It's actually quite common knowledge, that's been rehashed repeatedly in the last few weeks due to this story.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Meanwhile everyone is talking about an Antarctic research ship. Best PR stunt ever, no way could NERC ever have hoped for this level of engagement.

I mean no one is talking this much about the 4 other NERC vessels or the two BAS ships, HMS Protector or the literally dozens of other UK registered research vessels.

There was some talk a few years back when HMS Endurance was withdrawn .....resulting in the invasion of the Falkland Islands !

backontrack

Established Member
That futile naming exercise only brought about the type of publicity in the voting campaign that attracts people with the mindset of those avid watchers of "Balamory" with the comparative lack of a mature intelligence to suit.

I disagree. Think about all the people who would be attracted to polar science! It would have certainly got young people interested in it, and, if they created a social media account called 'BoatyMcBoatfaceOfficial', they could take photos of their expeditions and suchlike, and circulate them, showing people what they get up to. Surely that can't be a bad thing?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
That futile naming exercise only brought about the type of publicity in the voting campaign that attracts people with the mindset of those avid watchers of "Ballamory" with the comparative lack of a mature intelligence to suit.

Confusing silliness with immaturity is a sign of immaturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.