• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Russia invades Ukraine

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Something that just popped up on a channel…

wagner moving to Belarus ?
if they stay where they are, they will get roasted by Russia, certainly wouldnt trust any deal with Putin.

That's "this morning" though. Wagner wouldn't still be moving towards Moscow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
I think that the best outcome of this at this point would be a significantly weakened Putin remaining in power. With the loss of Wagner personnel, the Ukrainian army will quickly get the upper hand in the occupied territories.

GWRtom

Something that just popped up on a channel…

wagner moving to Belarus ?
if they stay where they are, they will get roasted by Russia, certainly wouldnt trust any deal with Putin.
Apparently this has just been denied on Prigozhin's official telegram channel

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The head of Wagner has admitted as much that the invasion of Ukraine was cooked up on a false pretence of NATO/Ukraine threatening Russia. I wonder if now would be a good time for Western countries reiterate our commitment to Russia's territorial integrity within its internationally recognised borders.

Perhaps, taking a leaf out of Tom Clancy’s “The Bear and the Dragon” - as Russia has been invaded it could be offered NATO membership to protect it against aggressive, err, Russian forces. Now that would be popcorn time. ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Perhaps, taking a leaf out of Tom Clancy’s “The Bear and the Dragon” - as Russia has been invaded it could be offered NATO membership to protect it against aggressive, err, Russian forces. Now that would be popcorn time. ;)

Not so bizarre, as I'm sure I read that the Soviet Union once requested Nato membership (perhaps to call our bluff !)

Chingy

And it appears that’s that. Wagner are turning around and heading back to base to avoid “bloodshed”.

Sm5

Apparently this has just been denied on Prigozhin's official telegram channel
Do you have a link,

all the russian channels are alive with what I copied.

its also catching up in western media.

Looks like Robin Prigozhin indeed made a deal with the Sheriff of Moscow.
Merrymen are to put their bows and arrows away, for today.

Lets see what tomorrow brings, it could be a bluff to allow moscow time to up arm itself, but Prigozhin seems to be trying to play this out as some kind of union pay dispute. (the FSB raided his gaff in St Petersburg and found 4bn roubles in cash today apparently)… knowing Russia I wouldnt be surprised if it was 6bn, but 2bn went out of the back door before the cameras went in the front.

I dont subscribe to this honour amongst thieves stuff… Putin makes a deal today it may be forgotten tomorrow.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
This has massive implications for Ukraine. With mercenaries providing a large element of the war effort there, there may now be holes in the line or those forces may now be viewed with suspicion and no longer trusted to operate on the frontlines.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Trying to reason out what I can about this...

Prigozhin is denying that this is a coup attempt. I don't believe his denials: Anything short of him/his supporters basically taking over the Government is likely to leave him either dead or in prison for life, and I can't believe he wouldn't know that. From what we know, it makes no sense for him to have done what he's done unless he seriously believes he can either topple Putin, or at least end up in full control of Russia's military forces (which would leave Putin as his puppet anyway). That seems to suggest that he has supporters high in the military hierarchy in Moscow.

The fact that he's got as far as he has done also suggests he has support within the Government. It's about 150 miles from where Wagner were a month ago fighting in Bakhmut to Rostov-on-Don. I'm pretty sure you can't move enough troops and armour to take over a city with military bases and a population of a million 150 miles without it having been obvious for some time that something strange is up. And it's even further from Bakhmut to Voronezh. Yet Prigozhin has somehow managed to do that largely unchallenged. (Except that maybe those movements might go some way to explaining the previous reports of fighting between Wagner and the regular forces).

Prigozhin clearly has a lot of loyalty amongst his forces. Telling the troops under your command to rebel against your own Government isn't a trivial thing to do - especially when many of your troops have probably spent most of their lives absorbing Russian Government propaganda. But again, he's clearly persuaded large numbers of troops to do that, without any obvious problem of defections.

None of that bodes well for Putin.

Last edited:

Sm5

This has massive implications for Ukraine. With mercenaries providing a large element of the war effort there, there may now be holes in the line or those forces may now be viewed with suspicion and no longer trusted to operate on the frontlines.
Or it could be kremlin free reign for Prigozhin to move into Ukraine on a new front or strategy ?

Prigozhin hasnt been advocating any peace with Ukraine today, indeed he’s quite the opposite.
His whole campaign against Shoigu has been around wanting more equipment, more action and less restraint.
That will be music to the ears of some in the kremlin.

You dont threaten the big boss and get away with it, unless you have a carrot to offer as well.

His reputation is now on the line, he must have doubled down on something.
if he doesnt deliver, he’s better off not making videos from roof tops, but if he does… this could get very ugly for Ukraine and hes on track as successor for the top job.

This is top table stakes now…

Lets see what tomorrow brings, and if Russia uses time to take him on, or if he’s pulled off a deal.

what he may have done is avoided a Wagnexit from Russia, and it may now consolidate all wavers and doubters in Russia behind Putin and a single objective. This may not be good, certainly comments online today were advocating discussions to resolve differences.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It will certainly be annoying if Lukashenko has somehow re-engineered the status quo.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I can't see how we could possibly return to the status quo after the events of the last few days to be honest, but we are living in bizarro world these days arn't we?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I can't see how we could possibly return to the status quo after the events of the last few days to be honest, but we are living in bizarro world these days arn't we?

He only needs to make Prigozhin and Putin to kiss and make up for it to be a ball ache.

nw1

Established Member
He only needs to make Prigozhin and Putin to kiss and make up for it to be a ball ache.

If so let's hope Lukashenko is put on trial for war crimes and given an "appropriate" penalty when this is all over. A vile, revolting brown-noser of murderers and dictators.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If so let's hope Lukashenko is put on trial and given an "appropriate" penalty when this is all over. A vile, revolting brown-noser of murderers and dictators.

There's never any mechanism though.

I'd gladly see Lukashenko retired to a holiday resort if it enabled us to be rid of him.

kristiang85

Established Member
Something really doesn't smell right about all of this. But I have no idea what.

Going back to the original theory this was all a deliberate distraction by Russia, why actually destroy some of your equipment and an oil refinery?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Something really doesn't smell right about all of this. But I have no idea what.

Going back to the original theory this was all a deliberate distraction by Russia, why actually destroy some of your equipment and an oil refinery?

Collateral damage !

Wouldn't have thought so previously, but now Prigozhin has marched his troops half way to Moscow and is apparently prepared to march them back again, it wouldn't surprise me if this were some sort of theatre.

Sm5

it certainly does seem odd.

chatter suggests Shoigu is going to take the blame for this.
How you round off losing 7 aircraft and crews, and to giving an amnesty for those marching to Moscow in a coup attempt takes some thinking.

As I said Wagners either got a very nasty trick up their sleeve to appease the kremlin, or this fight isnt over yet and Prigozhins going to get it.

Still trying to think whats in this for the “peacemaker”, that is Lukashenko ?

A thoroughly odd day in this war for sure.
Tomorrow I cant imagine being back to how things were on friday morning.

Ostrich

To enable a considerable force of Wagner mercenaries to rapidly re-deploy to a position north of the Ukraine, from where they can launch an attack on Kviv?

I sincerely hope the American spies-in-the-sky are keeping a watching brief on this movement.

kristiang85

Established Member
My mate thinks there's a link between Wagner wanting to use tactical nukes (but not being allowed to by russian military leadership) and Lukashenko receiving delivery of said nukes.

He's a very sensible and well read chap (my mate, not Lukashenko), but I hope to heavens he's wrong.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
What in heavens name would Lukashenko have to gain from sutch a situation !

Time for the West to be flexing its nuclear muscles anyway !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Do you realize what you are saying? Unbelievable.

Not at all. Just reminding all the factions that we're he're, we haven't gone away and any decision to go nuclear by the factions against the West will be met with a response.

Sm5

Reported Prigozhin is indeed moving to Belarus.

but is it a one floor dacha, or a high rise block ?

do they have polonium210 there ?

it would seem today turned out to be a Wagner suicide mission, and they aborted.
Amnesty for the soldiers, this is probably the end of wagner.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Reported Prigozhin is indeed moving to Belarus.

but is it a one floor dacha, or a high rise block ?

do they have polonium210 there ?
Yes, Belarus doesn’t seem the safest choice for a very public dissident.

Chingy

I hope Ukraine take this time to fully fortify their northern border with Belarus to the very best of their ability.

With Prigozhin reportedly moving to Belarus, it reignites the risk of a renewed assault on Kyiv.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Surely this Wagner bloke has got to be off'd - you cant be Capo dei capi like Putin and let one of the smaller capo get uppity. This Prigozhin might be sleeping with the fishes shortly.