• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Oh, I agree with that - it's an excellent achievement, and well done to the Hitachi team for getting them to such a level!!

It is, and I hope it stays that way. It must be said that in spite of the initial troubles they do seem to have settled down and are pretty good for new units.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

That must've changed then. It used to be if two doors on the same side were inoperative then the carriage should be locked out. Equally if it was two doors adjacent to the cab then the carriage should be locked out, although that wasn'y in the operating manuals it seemingly was referred to in the Rule Book.

Rule book change a couple of years ago now puts the onus on Control to make the decision on whether coaches are locked out if doors are locked out of use.

Highlandspring

Established Member
They don't cause cancellations but they do cause delay while the TMS is reset to allow the doors to be opened or closed.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Which is not good of course but unless I'm missing something they don't seem to be serious enough to keep units out of traffic are they generally? Otherwise surely the reliability figure would be lower.
The reliability figure's still pretty low. The 320s fare considerably better at 24k, the 380s better still at 40k. They have a way to go until they match the performance of the rest of the fleet. (314/318 notwithstanding).

alangla

The reliability figure's still pretty low. The 320s fare considerably better at 24k, the 380s better still at 40k. They have a way to go until they match the performance of the rest of the fleet. (314/318 notwithstanding).

ScotRail performance in the golden spanners always seems pretty poor, especially compared to SWT (as was) - is there something about the conditions up here that pushes reliability down, is it reported differently to elsewhere or is the maintenance just lacking?

samuelmorris

Established Member
ScotRail performance in the golden spanners always seems pretty poor, especially compared to SWT (as was) - is there something about the conditions up here that pushes reliability down, is it reported differently to elsewhere or is the maintenance just lacking?
I think general consensus is the SWT figures of old were effectively falsified through 'reporting irregularities'. It's the other operators that provide a fairer benchmark. Also don't forget SWT's Desiros do more fast services than not, and MTIN figures will always be higher for stock that runs long distances between stops as it's when they stop that things more often go wrong.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They don't cause cancellations but they do cause delay while the TMS is reset to allow the doors to be opened or closed.

Which isn't ideal.

Hopefully it gets better then!

InOban

Established Member
About time. There used to be a delivery every week. I would have thought that they have cleared the yard by now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The heading in the screenshot does say "New Train Reliability" so I wonder if it's not actually second most reliable EMU - just "second in class". Would be nice to have some markers for where other EMUs (444s, Pendolinos, etc) fit in but perhaps that's in the text and I should just go and buy it..
It's second in the league table of "new" trains, ie 700, 707, 345, 800/1.

anthannan

The last few; can't be that many left to deliver.

Do they deliver only single units at a time or do they deliver double sets sometimes?
I think there's some coordination with the withdrawal of the 314's. Currently 63 delivered, 62 in service. So 7 to go.

Southsider

I think there's some coordination with the withdrawal of the 314's. Currently 63 delivered, 62 in service. So 7 to go.
They need to get the Neilston turn back sorted for 6 x 23m trains to let the 314s go or draft in other 20m stock. There was mention a while back that it was being worked on.

anthannan

They need to get the Neilston turn back sorted for 6 x 23m trains to let the 314s go or draft in other 20m stock. There was mention a while back that it was being worked on.
Good point. I think it was mentioned in the thread sometime ago.

CEN60

Does anyone know if any of the remaining sets to be delivered will replace the remaining 318/320 combinations that still run on the Lanark service - bit of a mixed bag on that route right now.

youngac

Does anyone know if any of the remaining sets to be delivered will replace the remaining 318/320 combinations that still run on the Lanark service - bit of a mixed bag on that route right now.

Not sure if the plan is to carry out a direct replacement, but I imagine Scotrail will have realised that replacing the current 318/320 Lanark diagrams with new 385s could allow them to increase capacity to Neilston without changing infrastructure by cascading 6 car rolling stock that can currently fit in the Neilston turnback siding.

CEN60

Not sure if the plan is to carry out a direct replacement, but I imagine Scotrail will have realised that replacing the current 318/320 Lanark diagrams with new 385s could allow them to increase capacity to Neilston without changing infrastructure by cascading 6 car rolling stock that can currently fit in the Neilston turnback siding.

Makes sense - "sense" and Scotrail don't necessarily appear in the same sentence that often!

hexagon789

Veteran Member

And there are about 7 314s left in service, so presumably the last 7 385s won't enter service until December then, if they are planning it that way as a like-for-like replacement.

coppercapped

Established Member
I notice that the 385s are now apparently the second most reliable UK EMU fleet according to Alex Hynes?
Not quite. Roger Ford's monthly data set covers only the 'new' trains, Class 345, 700, 707, 80X and so on.
Re your other post, reliability figures for all the fleets are published in each January's edition of Modern Railways.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not quite. Roger Ford's monthly data set covers only the 'new' trains, Class 345, 700, 707, 80X and so on.
Re your other post, reliability figures for all the fleets are published in each January's edition of Modern Railways.

Thank you for the clarification, I'll try and remember to have a look for those.

InOban

Established Member
ScotRail will introduce 8-coach trains on the E-G as soon as platforms 2 and 3 reopen at the end of the month.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Although more of a quick infrastructure and timetabling/allocations question, will Platforms 2 and 3 at Queen Street be specially dedicated for the Edinburgh via Falkirk High as they will be able to hold 2x4 385s coupled together?

On a side note, back in 1994 I seem to remember seeing a drop down banner on either Platforms 3 and 4, or 5 and 6 advertising that the Edinburgh shuttle departs from those platforms. This was when the Edinburgh via Falkirk High was every 30 minutes and was operated with Class 158s.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Although more of a quick infrastructure and timetabling/allocations question, will Platforms 2 and 3 at Queen Street be specially dedicated for the Edinburgh via Falkirk High as they will be able to hold 2x4 385s coupled together?

On a side note, back in 1994 I seem to remember seeing a drop down banner on either Platforms 3 and 4, or 5 and 6 advertising that the Edinburgh shuttle departs from those platforms. This was when the Edinburgh via Falkirk High was every 30 minutes and was operated with Class 158s.

I believe they will be dedicated because of the length issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.