• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
Great to see deliveries ramping up. I wonder when they will return the test set to NA to be fitted out.

Great to see deliveries ramping up. I wonder when they will return the test set to NA to be fitted out.
Guess there is no hurry to get the four test trains back to be fitted. There are around 15 sets nearing delivery in the next few weeks. So a March service introduction looking good. What's more needed is to put some real mileage on the completed sets before they start taking passengers.

Typhoon_93

Video of 385008 being shunted at Aycliffe from my friends YouTube channel, anyone is welcome to subscribe as he posts videos daily from around the factory and test track.

Stopper

Is there any information on where the 3-car and 4-car sets will mainly run? I’m assuming E-G via Falkirk and Dunblane/Alloa lines will take the 4-car sets for sure?

mcmad

I thought the plan was the 4 cars were for the E&G only and 3 car elsewhere.

I thought the plan was the 4 cars were for the E&G only and 3 car elsewhere.

Their are way more 4 car sets ordered than are required for the E&G, even including maintenance and spare cover.

My bets are on 4 cars being used on Edinburgh - Dunblane with 1st class being introduced (Its the only 7 cities route that has no such offering).

3 cars will operate everything else.

InOban

Established Member
I had assumed that at peak times so E-G trains would be 2*4, and the others would be 2*3, but during the day E-G would be 2*3 and the others would have 3or 4. But what do I know.

gsnedders

Established Member
I had assumed that at peak times so E-G trains would be 2*4, and the others would be 2*3, but during the day E-G would be 2*3 and the others would have 3or 4. But what do I know.
I imagine changing stock around to change from 2*4 to 2*3 and back be more complexity than it justified (given many of the E-G diagrams are pretty self-contained). I'd expect E-G to eventually all be 4-car units, just variously 4-car or 8-car throughout the day.

hooky3

does anyone know what will happen with the North Berwick services? Many of those are 4 or even 6 car just now so I would expect they’d be 2*3 most of the day?

Clansman

Established Member
Are they not getting a 4 car 385 normally with 2 x 4 car at peaks?
I assumed North Berwick would receive 2 x 3-car both on and off peak, given the franchise agreement usually prevents a deduction of standard class seating capacity that would be presented using a single 4-car unit off peak? No chance it'll go 2 x 8-car on the peaks though.

Could always try and work it out based on other services never the less;
Edinburgh to Glasgow peak 2 x 4-car (16 units p/h?)
Edinburgh to Berwick Upon Tweed 1 x 4-car (2 units p/h)

Leaving 6 x 4-car units spare on the peak (enough to cope with 7-car)

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
I assumed North Berwick would receive 2 x 3-car both on and off peak, given the franchise agreement usually prevents a deduction of standard class seating capacity that would be presented using a single 4-car unit off peak? No chance it'll go 2 x 8-car on the peaks though.

Could always try and work it out based on other services never the less;
Edinburgh to Glasgow peak 2 x 4-car (16 units p/h?)
Edinburgh to Berwick Upon Tweed 1 x 4-car (2 units p/h)

Leaving 6 x 4-car units spare on the peak (enough to cope with 7-car)
It is impossible to guess. Scotrail will have the ability to run 3,4,6,7,8,9,10, and 12-car trains if platform length will allow.

Clansman

Established Member
It is impossible to guess. Scotrail will have the ability to run 3,4,6,7,8,9,10, and 12-car trains if platform length will allow.
I agree, but it's not impossible to know the most likely scenario based on the information we already know.

The franchise agreement sets out that 8 x 23m car trains would run between Edinburgh and Glasgow QS by 2019 following the completion of the latter's platform development, which equates to 16 x 4 car units every hour on the current frequency. When it comes to where the 4-car 385s will end up, it's hardly guesswork seeing as they're allocated to specific routes due to their first class provision. If I tried to speculate that 4-car units would end up straying on the Cumbernaulds or the Dunblanes without any substance, now that'd be guesswork.

Are they not getting a 4 car 385 normally with 2 x 4 car at peaks?

The platform at North Berwick only holds 6x23 metre coaches so 8 car is most certainly out of the question. I'd expect to see 6 car in the peaks and some off peak 3 car (not discounting 4 car) workings.

Last edited:

Typhoon_93

The last two of the first batch of Aycliffe built 3 car 385/0 were outside at the factory tonight (012/013) so complete and undergoing testing now are:-
385003-013/031/033
385123/124
and in production are 4 car 385/1:-
385105-113 with 113 only part delivered.

Hope this helps

youngac

I’m guessing that the 385s will initially be used on Queen Street - Edinburgh via Falkirk High (and Cumbernauld?), and Edinburgh - North Berwick/Dunbar services by the start of the May timetable? This should allow several 156/158/170s to go off lease and start the rolling stock redeployment that will be the beginning of the end for the 314s.

Clansman

Established Member
I’m guessing that the 385s will initially be used on Queen Street - Edinburgh via Falkirk High (and Cumbernauld?), and Edinburgh - North Berwick/Dunbar services by the start of the May timetable? This should allow several 156/158/170s to go off lease and start the rolling stock redeployment that will be the beginning of the end for the 314s.
No date has been set for their introduction as of yet.

The initial plan was to have them phased in first on the E-G via Falkirk High, followed by the Cumbernaulds, and then North Berwick/Berwick On Tweeds, within the first few months. But that was blown out of the water due to electrification delays as well as some internal issues with Hitachi.

youngac

No date has been set for their introduction as of yet.

The initial plan was to have them phased in first on the E-G via Falkirk High, followed by the Cumbernaulds, and then North Berwick/Berwick On Tweeds, within the first few months. But that was blown out of the water due to electrification delays as well as some internal issues with Hitachi.

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm curious about the Berwick-upon-Tweed service you mention. I didn't realise ScotRail had plans to start services here, although I had heard there were plans for a new Glasgow Central - Motherwell - Lockerbie - Carlisle service using 380s.

Status
Not open for further replies.