• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
Given that staff training hasn't started yet I'd say you'll be lucky to see one in service before May.
Then what on earth are they doing with them? I thought that they had been training for months using the prototypes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Testing the trains themselves, making sure they play nicely with the infrastructure, perform as expected, etc. I'm not sure on specifics but I wouldn't be surprised if Scotrail hadn't officially received a train yet, and they were all still in Hitachi's hands getting verification and fault free running mileage.

Testing the trains themselves, making sure they play nicely with the infrastructure, perform as expected, etc. I'm not sure on specifics but I wouldn't be surprised if Scotrail hadn't officially received a train yet, and they were all still in Hitachi's hands getting verification and fault free running mileage.

What Domh says is absolutely spot on ;)

scotraildriver

Established Member
It's DB cargo drivers driving them at the moment for testing. No Scotrail staff have had a shot yet.

Highlandspring

Established Member
A few runs took place this week with ScotRail staff driving - according to the test plan documentation anyway.

Typhoon_93

Paths in RTT for light engine moves from Tyne Yard to Aycliffe in readiness for moves north on Wednesday and Friday next week. 385124 was outside this morning with the modified vestibule cover fitted for delivery, 385031 and 033 shouldn’t be far from being ready too.

InOban

Established Member
Hadn't heard about a modified vestibule cover. Any information?

Domh245

Established Member
I would think that if Scotrail have been able to start driver training on the units and get everything ready from their end, they could go into passenger service pretty quickly after the ORR certify them for passenger use. If however, they only get to start training after the passenger certification, it could be a while!

However, looking back to the 800 introduction, Ian Prosser announced that he'd certified the 800s on the 11th of October, and they entered service on the 16th, so it seems that short turnaround times are entirely possible

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Highland37

Established Member
I’m sure the wheelchair users will love being forced to sit next to a blank panel; that’s almost straight back to the long gone days of travelling in the guard’s van like a piece of luggage. Anyone for a discrimination case? The window layout of these units really is an appalling piece of non-design.

Wow that looks like a really poor view out the front.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Remember you're only on the train for 45 minutes.

That's no excuse for such a poor layout, particularly one that is rather discriminatory against wheelchair users. (Able bodied passengers can choose not to sit next to a wall as there are window-aligned seats; wheelchair users can't).

It makes the PEP EMU look good in terms of window view, and that is really saying something.

Clansman

Established Member
It's amusing that the franchise agreement specified that the new EMUs must provide seat-window alignment where possible. Although I don't consider myself a window alignment crusader, the 385s design really is lackluster for this aspect and completely unnecessary.

Carntyne

That's no excuse for such a poor layout, particularly one that is rather discriminatory against wheelchair users. (Able bodied passengers can choose not to sit next to a wall as there are window-aligned seats; wheelchair users can't).

It makes the PEP EMU look good in terms of window view, and that is really saying something.

Apart from the window right above the table in the wheelchair passenger's area?

InOban

Established Member
Rail magazine is specifically stating March 16 for ORR authorisation.

Domh245

Established Member
Drivers have been trained on the 380 fleet, so will just need a conversion course for the 385. Hopefully one of the drivers on here can confirm?
I wouldn't think that they are similar enough to merit just a conversion course. They are from a completely different manufacturer after all, and so there will be all manner of differences. Are the TMSs even the same?

lammergeier

I wouldn't think that they are similar enough to merit just a conversion course. They are from a completely different manufacturer after all, and so there will be all manner of differences. Are the TMSs even the same?

Full courses are generally only required where there are significant or fundamental differences between units (eg DMU to EMU, EP brake to air pipe etc). Differences in TMS and minor handling characteristics can be dealt with easily and quickly.

superkev

Established Member
Full courses are generally only required where there are significant or fundamental differences between units (eg DMU to EMU, EP brake to air pipe etc). Differences in TMS and minor handling characteristics can be dealt with easily and quickly.
For interest how long is the short conversation course which hopefully allows the driver to actually drive one. Presumably if required a full course takes much longer.
Have any units been accepted and owned by Scotrail yet?
K

Status
Not open for further replies.