• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Its not Scotrail policy, its currently permitted in Scotland by law (unless at Edinburgh or Glasgow Stations as these are covered by sub-surface regulations as a result of the Kings Cross fire. It would more likely be the opposite if its like England to be Scotrail policy.

It's currently permitted in England and Wales by law (of the land) as well. It's just the Railway Byelaws that choose to not allow smoking on open platforms are applied by most TOC's and Network Rail.

As the Kings Cross Fire was in the 1980's and the Scottish Smoking Ban came in in 2006, I'm not sure what you mean by sub-surface regulations. Prior to 2006 you could smoke in most areas of Glasgow and Edinburgh Stations. Indeed you can still smoke at Edinburgh Haymarket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
As I understood it you cannot smoke at a station classed as being sub-surface.

Waverley, Queen Street and Central I would expect to be included.

Butts

Veteran Member

Before March 2006 you could smoke in all three. The reason it is forbidden now is because Network Rail control all three. Unlike Scotrail they do not permit smoking on uncovered platforms at their stations.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

These stations are not classed as sub surface but, rather, follow NR's rules as Butts states below:-

Before March 2006 you could smoke in all three. The reason it is forbidden now is because Network Rail control all three. Unlike Scotrail they do not permit smoking on uncovered platforms at their stations.

Stations such as Charing Cross (Glasgow) are classified as sub surface.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I believe one of the first mainline stations that introduced a smoking ban after the Kings Cross fire in 1987 was Birmingham New Street at the end of the 1980s/beginning of the 1990s soon after the report into the fire was published.

In peace

Adam

Butts

Veteran Member
I believe one of the first mainline stations that introduced a smoking ban after the Kings Cross fire in 1987 was Birmingham New Street at the end of the 1980s/beginning of the 1990s soon after the report into the fire was published.

Cheers

Adam

I can confirm that as I lived in The Midlands during the time in question.

jonnysr

The franchise contract does not appear to be signed yet, 14 days after the Transport Scotland announcement of the award to Abellio.
Do we know if there is a legal challenge?
How do you know the contract hasn't been signed yet? I don't know how these things usually work, is it usual to have a public signing of the contract after the 10 day challenge period?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

WatcherZero

Established Member
I had a quick look see if I could see anything on Salmonds schedule but couldnt find one, highly likely unlike Westminster they would want a public signing ceremony so may be waiting formally for an event? Caledonian Sleeper contract was signed 14 days after being announced but as I understand it weekends do count for the 10 days just the 10 day period cant end on a weekend.

Sadsmileyface

The franchise contract does not appear to be signed yet, 14 days after the Transport Scotland announcement of the award to Abellio.

Do we know if there is a legal challenge?

The current talk is yes, the second-place bidder is furious for losing out by what is supposed to have been such a tiny margin.

And she intends to challenge.

Nothing substantiated, just what certain people have heard.

jonnysr

As no contact has been signed it's looking more and more likely that National Express are challenging the award to Abellio. I would be really disappointed if NE managed to tear the contract award away from Abellio, I think the bid looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing it put in action. I don't want National Express anywhere near our railway in Scotland.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Did they do a poor job the last time they operated Scotrail?
It was just over 10 years ago when they lost the franchise, so I think the answer would be no.

I know that this is an off-topic question, but when was the last Class 101 withdrawn from the Strathclyde area?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
It was just over 10 years ago when they lost the franchise, so I think the answer would be no.

In reality who was doing a good job over 10 years ago?

First Group were performing badly with First North Western and First Great Western.

Arriva were performing badly with Arriva Trains Northern. (They did, however, have Arriva Trains Merseyside which did well but is probably the easiest one to operate.)

National Express did badly with Central. Midland Mainline would have been OK had they not tried Manchester-Sheffield-St Pancras which saw their punctuality figures drop like a rock.

Connex did badly with South Central and Southeastern.

Virgin were just about starting to do a good job.

I think GNER were generally seen as doing well at the time? Anyone else?

I think the number of bad franchises is one reason why Kelios and NedRailways (as Abellio used to be known) were able to successfully get involved as joint bidders in franchises. In the case of TPE the shortlisted bidders were Arriva, First/Kelios and Connex and I think partnering with Kelios helped First.

when was the last Class 101 withdrawn from the Strathclyde area?

Don't know the exact date but during the year 2000. I'm not sure how many Scotrail had but some finished up with First North Western until the end of 2003.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick1984

would class class 321's be able to work with class 320's in a common pool?

Last edited:

Altnabreac

Established Member
I see the Transport Scotland website now states that the contract was signed on 18 November 2014.
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/rail/scotrail-franchise/scotrail-franchise-renewal-programme

Transport Scotland said:
On 8 October 2014, Keith Brown, The Minister for Transport and Veterans announced the intent to award the new ScotRail Franchise to Abellio. The contract was signed on 18 November 2014.

Unclear whether this means it was signed on 18 October, right after the 10 day challenge period or if they are pre-announcing the date of a big signing ceremony for next month.

You'd normally expect at least a ministerial photoshoot to be honest but 18 November seems a long while to wait...

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I see the Transport Scotland website now states that the contract was signed on 18 November 2014.
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/rail/scotrail-franchise/scotrail-franchise-renewal-programme

Unclear whether this means it was signed on 18 October, right after the 10 day challenge period or if they are pre-announcing the date of a big signing ceremony for next month.

You'd normally expect at least a ministerial photoshoot to be honest but 18 November seems a long while to wait...

They've corrected/changed the date on that link now (my bold):
On 8 October 2014, Keith Brown, The Minister for Transport and Veterans announced the intent to award the new ScotRail Franchise to Abellio. The contract was signed on 18 October 2014. This page contains information on the procurement of the new franchise and the mobilisation process leading to contract launch in April 2015.

Last edited:

jonnysr

Great news, Abellio's bid looked fantastic, looking forward to seeing it in action.

herschell

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the franchise as currently the bulk of trains I see up here are the 170's with a few 125's throughout the day

Gadget88

I know that this is an off-topic question, but when was the last Class 101 withdrawn from the Strathclyde area?

Personaly I feel customer service improved alot under First so I wouldn't want National Express.

cf111

Established Member
Personaly I feel customer service improved alot under First so I wouldn't want National Express.

I agree with you in terms of on-train staff and those at stations. They were always pleasant but they come across as genuinely friendly and knowledgeable now in comparison.

They are however poor when you need to write to them. The last two times I've been delayed for more than an hour I've sent off the tickets for compensation and made sure to note on my form that the staff have been fantastic and twice I've got apologies back which basically say "sorry the staff were rubbish". They also took more than a month to reply.

I don't think that this is the fault of those on the front-line, I just think it's due to them having a huge amount of feedback to get through and not enough time or people to do it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.