• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
The plan was to reform some 3-car sets as 2-car, providing the vehicles for some 4-car sets. There's plenty of services in Scotland that are suitable for 2-car units.

God, stop obsessing about underfloor engines. 99.9% of people don't care. I can cope with it easily. It's far less annoying than a 40-year old train squeakily shaking itself to pieces.

Have you ever had 180101 for haulage? (Class 180s were built circa 2000-01)

I had that back in 2016 on a Doncaster - Selby run, and the way that the seats and the table shook when going at linespeed between Doncaster and Temple Hirst Junction, it felt like that I had received a dreadful Swedish massage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FS-2-11

I'm trying to work out the landmarks. From what I can make out, and going from right to left:
- Clyde Arc and the Crane (Finnieston?) - Glasgow
Wellington's statue with the cone would have been fun.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Thanks for posting the link to that graphic. I'm trying to work out the landmarks. From what I can make out, and going from right to left:
- Clyde Arc and the Crane (Finnieston?) - Glasgow
- Wallace Monument - Stirling
- Edinburgh Castle, and I think it's the Royal Scots Greys monument - Edinburgh
- Inverness Castle and Flora McDonald statue - Inverness
- Memorial on Dundee Law
- William Wallace Statue - Aberdeen
- Perth waterfront

The proper Wallace Monument is situated at the junction of Main Road/Park Avenue in Elderslie, Johnstone, as that was the birthplace of William Wallace.

Highlandspring

Established Member
On the contrary, the proper Wallace Monument is situated behind ASDA in Robroyston as that is where he was captured. Or perhaps there isn’t a ‘proper’ one at all and it doesn’t matter.

marks87

Established Member
On the contrary, the proper Wallace Monument is situated behind ASDA in Robroyston as that is where he was captured. Or perhaps there isn’t a ‘proper’ one at all and it doesn’t matter.

I didn't know Asda was that old.

Established Member
Yes. Asda are long established. Wallace apparently had a loyalty card. No Lidl or Aldi mind you in this days.

He he, najaB and myself did a version of this gag before, see below post 1983 on this thread from April!

All the oldest jokes on RailUK.

Behind an ASDA? He stuck me as more a Lidl kind of guy.

No, Willie Wallace went to Willie Lows as a proper Scottish supermarket. They were still going in those days. Tesco only bought them out after his death.

Mingulay

He he, najaB and myself did a version of this gag before, see below post 1983 on this thread from April!

All the oldest jokes on RailUK.
True story

A women from Dundee on a tour bus some time ago. My wife overheard her say when the Wallace monument was pointed out .. “ I didnae ken his pies were that famous” In reference to Wallace bakery pies in Dundee !

Established Member
True story

A women from Dundee on a tour bus some time ago. My wife overheard her say when the Wallace monument was pointed out .. “ I didnae ken his pies were that famous” In reference to Wallace bakery pies in Dundee !
Wrong - she would've said 'pehs' not 'pies', as in 'twa hot pehs and an ingin ane ana.'

Anyway, enough of this, I can't see that the moderators will be able to tolerate Dundonian for much longer, let's get back on topic!

scotraildriver

Established Member
Anyway, enough of this, I can't see that the moderators will be able to tolerate Dundonian for much longer, let's get back on topic![/QUOT

Indeed, the only place in the world where roundabouts are known as "circles"

Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling on one side with Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness on the other.

So the three cities that most people would perceive as the "Southern" ones are on one side and the four that most people would perceive as the "Northern" ones are on the other. Makes sense to me and rather than East/West it's actually North/South
What side is Brechin on?

Established Member
Ah, I happen to know why they do that, if everyone can tolerate us off topic for one more post then I can share the explanation?
Anyway, enough of this, I can't see that the moderators will be able to tolerate Dundonian for much longer, let's get back on topic![/QUOT

Established Member
Brechin has never officially been a city, it is merely a title that the people have bestowed upon themselves. Likewise, Dunblane is no city.
Not quite correct, Brechin and Dunblane both have cathedrals, or ruined cathedrals, so are cities in terms of the ancient definition. Likewise Dornoch, Dunkeld or St Andrews could be called cities in those terms, but certainly not in terms of an intercity rail service.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Though GWR are doing just that.

The big issue on CS is the Mk2s, which would have required replacement as they are falling to bits being somewhere around 50 years old. The otherwise obvious idea of replacing them with Mk3s is non-viable due to train length issues, so they'd have had to order *something* new or abandon the provision of seated coaches altogether (replacing the pair of Mk2s with a combined brake-lounge car).
Other than DVTs, the International set and Irish Rail stock, the Night Riviera fleet has the only 3 Mark 3 Brake vehicles built- even if platforms were long enough, the nine BUO/BFO/BSO vehicles the Caledonian Sleeper would need don't exist

Wrong - she would've said 'pehs' not 'pies', as in 'twa hot pehs and an ingin ane ana.'

Anyway, enough of this, I can't see that the moderators will be able to tolerate Dundonian for much longer, let's get back on topic!
Love this one 47271 - ye cannae beat the quote - "ah'll hae a peh an an inyininina!" although you could substitute "pletty" for "peh" :D

marks87

Established Member
Not quite correct, Brechin and Dunblane both have cathedrals, or ruined cathedrals, so are cities in terms of the ancient definition. Likewise Dornoch, Dunkeld or St Andrews could be called cities in those terms, but certainly not in terms of an intercity rail service.

The idea of a “cathedral city” hasn’t existed for goodness knows how long.

Scotland have seven cities; no more, no fewer.

Stoney1979

How do you spell Egypt in Dundee?

E. G. Y. Peyh. Teyh.

All a bit Dundonian-ist and non-HST this, sorry Mods, better stop. :D

kkong

Some more info on which services the HSTs will be used on has turned up.

HSTs will (eventually...) operate 48 of the 99 planned Intercity daily services:
  • 19 of 24 Aberdeen <> Edinburgh
  • 19 of 31 Aberdeen <> Glasgow
  • 6 of 22 Inverness <> Edinburgh / Glasgow
  • 4 of 22 Aberdeen <> Inverness
Edit: This is the plan for December 2018... HSTs will make up a higher proportion of these services from 2019.

Geoff DC

Six more Cities than us in Cornwall

But we might have 2 HST GTIs soon - One running already & so so much better than a 150 or a pacer :lol:

Stoney1979

HSTs will (eventually...) operate 48 of the 99 planned Intercity daily services:
Edit: This is the plan for December 2018... HSTs will make up a higher proportion of these services from 2019.

At first look, as an HML user, that's quite disappointing. Although I understand that in winter the HML demand is hugely less due to the absence of visitors, whereas the Aberdeen - Glasgow/Ed are likely to be more consistently busy all year. Also they are more likely to have on-expenses 1st class business-types on board.

jingsmonty

Interesting...two more than I heard from Inverness (we heard 2 South, 2 North - seems this will be 3 each way).

Just have to work out which ones now - we have had some discussions in the bothy as to what services will be HST from Dec

mullac30

Any indication if these are refurbished sets?

Stoney1979

Interesting...two more than I heard from Inverness (we heard 2 South, 2 North - seems this will be 3 each way).

Just have to work out which ones now - we have had some discussions in the bothy as to what services will be HST from Dec

Obviously a lot of detail to be worked out yet, but is it likely in very general terms that the same services every individual day will be consistently an HST, or not?

I'm driving just now as I can't stand the current 170 service, but if I knew which services would definitely be an HST, or not, I could plan around it.

JohnMcL7

What will operate the remaining services for Inverness to Aberdeen or Edinburgh/Glasgow, still the 170's?

I'm thinking that's probably not a bad thing as I'm assuming the 170's will be better for carrying bikes since you can sit with the bike.

Last edited:

Northhighland

At first look, as an HML user, that's quite disappointing. Although I understand that in winter the HML demand is hugely less due to the absence of visitors, whereas the Aberdeen - Glasgow/Ed are likely to be more consistently busy all year. Also they are more likely to have on-expenses 1st class business-types on board.

My view is in recent times the train seems a lot busier to and from Inverness. For example the 6:50 am train is well full most days this last while have been using it twice a week.

Agree that HST will take more passengers back to rail. A lot of my colleagues have said they will come out if their cars and back in the train when that happens.

Monty do you think the HST will be significantly better in snow?

Northhighland

What will operate the remaining services for Inverness to Aberdeen or Edinburgh/Glasgow, still the 170's?

I'm thinking that's probably not a bad thing as I'm assuming the 170's will be better for carrying bikes since you can sit with the bike.

Do you mean with the bike on your knee? Most times the one rack is full. Usually then cyclists understandably just keep adding until someone stops them or the corridor is blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.