• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfie1014

Today’s 1B18 09:07 ex Aberdeen was a 2 car 158. Joining at Dundee I was expecting it to be full but in reality only about 2/3 of the seats were taken. First class tickets endorsed by the guard for those passengers with such tickets. 3 mins early into Haymarket though!

MrBurnz

I was just watching a YouTube live rail cam, York South (Holgate Junction)
Around 15-20 mins ago, a Scotrail HST set passed, definitely a scotrail HST, It had the 7 cities branding & colours.

Iskra

Established Member
Around 15-20 mins ago, a Scotrail HST set passed, definitely a scotrail HST, It had the 7 cities branding & colours.

I saw them forming such a set up at Wabtec Doncaster on Friday evening.

Wabtec have had consultants in to 'improve the flow,' but there are now fears that this could affect the sustainability of the project as they've just chucked a load of the allocated resources at the sets nearest completion which will probably mean it ends up over-budget at a later date (if it isn't already).

Darandio

Established Member

43152 and 43031 on 5Z43 Doncaster to Dundee

nat67

Established Member
Its the set that should have moved two weeks ago HA24 set ...... Just out of interest FGW 4th set as dep Doncasater 20 mins ago today

SC 43090
43093+43186. Nice to see that 2 out of 3 sliding door TOC's are having a set delivered tonight.

MrBurnz

Here is a video of the above mentioned
43152 & 43031 on the move to Dundee.

Only been on for an hour.

InOban

Established Member
Seems to have omitted the scheduled stop at Heaton, so it's nonstop from Doncaster to Edinburgh.

CHAPS2034

It could be but 43129 & 43028 as they moved from Loughborough this morning and possibly picked up the third set?

In a balancing move, I espied two power cars (top and tail with themselves o_O) passing Darlington yesterday afternoon (Weds 20/03). Needless to say they went down the direct line rather than coming through the station, so I was unable to identify them. When I got to York two lads told me they were 43037 & 43124. Here's the move on RTT

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R01006/2019/03/20/advanced

jingsmonty

It could be but 43129 & 43028 as they moved from Loughborough this morning and possibly picked up the third set?

No, the 3rd set is already made up - saw a photo of these 2 power cars in the siding next to the 3rd set (with 43031 & 43152).

Possibly there to test/move set 4?

Stoney1979

Technical HST question - perhaps not for this thread in detail, if so apologies and send me away. Noticing the puff of diesel fumes from the rear power car in the above video, from where does the driving power come during normal HST operation? Mostly from front power car, mostly from rear power car, or a mix? And, either way, does the driver have active control over what is going on?

On Moderation
Technical HST question - perhaps not for this thread in detail, if so apologies and send me away. Noticing the puff of diesel fumes from the rear power car in the above video, from where does the driving power come during normal HST operation? Mostly from front power car, mostly from rear power car, or a mix? And, either way, does the driver have active control over what is going on?
Slightly more from the front power car normally as the rear one is normally providing electric supply (for heating, lighting, catering etc) as well as providing traction power. Driver always has control as the control jumper cables down the train mean that if (say) the driver selects power notch 3, then both power cars will respond and go into notch 3. Obviously the back power car knows it is going backwards!

D6700

Seems to have omitted the scheduled stop at Heaton, so it's nonstop from Doncaster to Edinburgh.

Looking at Realtime Trains, 5Z43 appears to have stopped at Heaton North, as it took 18 minutes from Heaton South. 5Z43 left Heaton North early, which appears to be due to the late running of trains it was booked to follow. 5Z43 also looks to have been looped at Chevington, to enable those late runners get ahead there instead.

kkong

I was on the 1741 from Haymarket to Aberdeen tonight in first class.

Unrefurbished HST.

Both first class toilets were locked out of use (one marked "leaking roof", the other "awaiting spares").

The nearest available toilet in the next coach was in total darkness for the whole journey due to lack of a working light.

It could be a new game show segment: "piss into a toilet bowl on a moving train in pitch darkness".

Steven_G

Great to see third set delivered.

Dundee .... to begin service or to be stationed for training?

I get the feeling most of the training is done on HST is that correct? Set 2 was seen in operation so perhaps set 3 will go straight in next week ?

jingsmonty

Slightly more from the front power car normally as the rear one is normally providing electric supply (for heating, lighting, catering etc) as well as providing traction power. Driver always has control as the control jumper cables down the train mean that if (say) the driver selects power notch 3, then both power cars will respond and go into notch 3. Obviously the back power car knows it is going backwards!

It's basically operated & controlled as if it were 2 locomotives coupled in multiple (which, in effect, it is). Only difference is that the control cable is linked throughout the coaches. 43096 is spot on, as, normally, the rear power car supplies the ETS (train supply) - it runs at a constant 1000rpm (equivalent of notch 2) constantly. Eerie driving from a PC that's running the ETS, as the engine note doesn't change until you select notch 3.

jingsmonty

Do you know if it's just going to be sitting at Inverness tomorrow or is it going to be out and about?

No-one in Inverness has received any training on it, so it wouldn't be moving, I wouldn't think. It may possibly be used for Conductor training & on the next driver training course.

jingsmonty

Great to see third set delivered.

Dundee .... to begin service or to be stationed for training?

I get the feeling most of the training is done on HST is that correct? Set 2 was seen in operation so perhaps set 3 will go straight in next week ?

Sets 1 & 2 are both supposed to be in passenger service now, set 3 will be used for training for Inverness train crew - nobody in Inverness has received any training on the refurbished sets yet

Status
Not open for further replies.