• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I could be wrong, but weren't they trying to have one Inter7City power car on each Classic set deliberately? So as to demonstrate the new brand as it were.
No that's not the case. Livery doesn't come into powercar allocation on the classic sets at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
There were sets running with two plain blue powercars previously but with the number of refurbished powercars in traffic (38 out of a total fleet of 54) only five of the classic sets have a plain powercar on right now. All the other classics have refurbished powercars at both ends.

chuff chuff

Sure it was mentioned on the company yammer when it was decided that we'd have to use them in their classic form that they would aim to have a refurb power car on a 'set'.

Highlandspring

Established Member
If it was it must have died a death very quickly because it has never been a consideration in Control.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There were sets running with two plain blue powercars previously but with the number of refurbished powercars in traffic (38 out of a total fleet of 54) only five of the classic sets have a plain powercar on right now. All the other classics have refurbished powercars at both ends.

Thank you, must just be that it seemed that way.

Sure it was mentioned on the company yammer when it was decided that we'd have to use them in their classic form that they would aim to have a refurb power car on a 'set'.

Well that's the impression I had that they'd try to have an Inter7City power car on the Classics but presumably it was just a coincidence that the sets appeared to be that way.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Just out of curiosity, if / when I book a seat on one of the Inter7City HST's - say northbound trains from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Perth or Aberdeen to Inverness - if it says forward facing if I book online, is it forward facing if First Class is the rear coach?

And for southbound trains - forward facing if First Class is the front coach?

jingsmonty

Just out of curiosity, if / when I book a seat on one of the Inter7City HST's - say northbound trains from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Perth or Aberdeen to Inverness - if it says forward facing if I book online, is it forward facing if First Class is the rear coach?

And for southbound trains - forward facing if First Class is the front coach?

Doesn't make any difference for 1st clsss - front or rear coach in 1st class only really matters if you're after 1 of the individual seats & you have a preference to sitting on the left or right hand side of the coach.

Hope that makes sense...

jingsmonty

Changes to HST operated from 19th August when line to Aberdeen re opens

I know you've probably got this from a reliable source, so here's hoping that we see more HST workings on the HML - it's deeply frustrating that we seem to have less now, particularly with the busy summer months coming up

John Bishop

More rammed 170s today on the HML.
Even the station screens were stating that “Service is full with standing room only” Get to Inverness and there’s 170s and 158s sat empty everywhere.
There was a Refurb set operating the 1624 to Glasgow though.

jingsmonty

Even the station screens were stating that “Service is full with standing room only” Get to Inverness and there’s 170s and 158s sat empty everywhere.

The 1333 Inverness to Edinburgh Waverley was a Classic set too. There's not usually that many 170s lying about normally, as there's none based up here & only very basic maintenance (like fluid checks) carried out. There'll be sets in place to work various trains (1053 & 1244 South, also possibly a couple of Inveruries too).

There will be more sets lying about on a Sunday, these are in place as there's not many incoming trains arriving before the trains start heading out, so they have to be moved up on a Saturday evening

Northhighland

My daughter came up from Glasgow said it was absolutely awful. She is going back down on Wednesday or Thursday and has decided to go with Citylink, she says she is not going back on the train until they get a grip. She is a regular commuter with no interest in what train is on, just wants a seat.

This is really disappointing that Scotrail are going to head in to the busy summer season with a totally half baked introduction of the HST and severe capacity constraints on HML. Not a good advert for Scottish Tourism.

InvHst

My daughter came up from Glasgow said it was absolutely awful. She is going back down on Wednesday or Thursday and has decided to go with Citylink, she says she is not going back on the train until they get a grip. She is a regular commuter with no interest in what train is on, just wants a seat.

This is really disappointing that Scotrail are going to head in to the busy summer season with a totally half baked introduction of the HST and severe capacity constraints on HML. Not a good advert for Scottish Tourism.

Now your major issue was last night the chieftain was cancelled at Perth and they didn't organise buses so they just said get on the next service train which was the 1811 out of queen Street which adding a London train amount of passengers to regular ones was never gonna end well to a 170

jingsmonty

Now your major issue was last night the chieftain was cancelled at Perth and they didn't organise buses so they just said get on the next service train which was the 1811 out of queen Street which adding a London train amount of passengers to regular ones was never gonna end well to a 170

Not that this, in any way, lessens the impact of a horrendous journey, but this sounds more like LNER, rather than Scotrail, have messed up here. I don't think having an HST on the Scotrail service would have made a huge amount of difference anyway. I experienced something similar on the Chieftain a few years ago - 3hrs late into London & a diversion via Lincoln, due to OHLE damage. ALong with at least one other trainload of passengers from a cancelled IC225 service causing bad overcrowding.

jingsmonty

I'm pretty diasppointed that there seems to be LESS & not more HST services on the HML over the summer. I can only hope this changes soon (there are diagram changes, both this month & in August, in relation to the Aberdeen line closures), so we'll just have to wait & see what happens.

Northhighland

That is ridiculous. There would have been more than a 170 worth of people on the Chieftan.

Another example of the disdain shown towards passengers.

On Moderation
That is ridiculous. There would have been more than a 170 worth of people on the Chieftan.

Another example of the disdain shown towards passengers.
Given that the Chieftain shows as “cancelled due to a problem with the traction equipment” at Perth - so a failure rather than planned - what’s your solution for that? I really don’t see how that is disdain towards passengers - it’s one of those things that happens sometimes.

haggishunter

Given that the Chieftain shows as “cancelled due to a problem with the traction equipment” at Perth - so a failure rather than planned - what’s your solution for that? I really don’t see how that is disdain towards passengers - it’s one of those things that happens sometimes.

The disdain is abandoning a full length HST worth of passengers with nothing more than a shrug of the shoulder and “you’re ScotRails’ problem now”! Had it happen to me on an Aberdeen bound HST in the past at Dundee!

Northhighland

The attitude you display is exactly the problem. It is not good enough to herd passengers on a much smaller train like cattle. If the train broke down fine as you say that happens. If another train could not be found to assist the passengers in getting up to Inverness then replacement buses should have been organised. It is not as if it is the first time that replacement buses have been needed.

Doing nothing is simply not acceptable. it shows the low regard passengers are held. I arrived in Perth form Glasgow one winters day to an announcement this train is terminating here please take your stuff and bugger off. Not good enough no one to answer any questions just a shambles.

This is symptomatic of a rail way that has lost the focus on the importance of fare paying passengers.

On Moderation
The attitude you display is exactly the problem. It is not good enough to herd passengers on a much smaller train like cattle. If the train broke down fine as you say that happens. If another train could not be found to assist the passengers in getting up to Inverness then replacement buses should have been organised. It is not as if it is the first time that replacement buses have been needed.

Doing nothing is simply not acceptable. it shows the low regard passengers are held. I arrived in Perth form Glasgow one winters day to an announcement this train is terminating here please take your stuff and bugger off. Not good enough no one to answer any questions just a shambles.

This is symptomatic of a rail way that has lost the focus on the importance of fare paying passengers.
Suggest you have a read of my previous posts on here about poor customer service on the railway before you start about attitude.

I’d also love to know where you find a load of buses/coaches at 7pm on a Sunday night in Perth.

John Bishop

The Chieftain was a planned cape beyond Perth much earlier in the day. The HML station screens were advising LNER passengers would be accepted on Scotrail trains as early as 3pm yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
Looks like the 18.54 inverness to edinburgh was struggling to take power at first there eventually left over ten minutes down.

Highlandspring

Established Member
The Chieftain was a planned cape beyond Perth much earlier in the day. The HML station screens were advising LNER passengers would be accepted on Scotrail trains as early as 3pm yesterday afternoon. Apparently no fuel at Inverness or something similar.
It was terminated because it was running on one powercar, no issue with fuelling at Inverness.

John Bishop

It was terminated because it was running on one powercar, no issue with fuelling at Inverness.

Decision to terminate must have been made fairly early on then given the notices on the HML mid afternoon. Just to clarify that it wasn’t a last minute cancellation at Perth.

Struner

[...]
I’d also love to know where you find a load of buses/coaches at 7pm on a Sunday night in Perth.
& when did they know the train would stop in Perth? Perhaps buses from Glasgow/Edinburgh could have been waiting for the people on board?

route:oxford

Established Member
Suggest you have a read of my previous posts on here about poor customer service on the railway before you start about attitude.

If you can't find a bus or coach or two in Perth, worldwide headquarters of Stagecoach, then there is something wrong with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.