• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotraildriver

Established Member
So now it would appear then it is just training g that is stopping the service being fully introduced?[/QUOTE]

Training, the closures on A to I which affect diagrams and work at Inverness and Queen St to increase capacity. There should be an increase in HST use from 15th August.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Northhighland

So now it would appear then it is just training g that is stopping the service being fully introduced?

Training, the closures on A to I which affect diagrams and work at Inverness and Queen St to increase capacity. There should be an increase in HST use from 15th August.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that is very helpful. Will that mean INVERNESS to Glasgow/ Edinburgh will be all HST workings? Or is that optimistic.

awsnews

I’m hearing today that West Highland Line anniversary trip is definitely off thanks to the washaway between Ardlui and Crianlarich.
I can't find anything substantive about this proposed tour anywhere. Lochaber Chamber of Commerce reference one being organised by the Friends of the WHL but I can't find any references on their site or social media. The Northern Belle appears to be scheduled for the 18th but nothing else. Seems very much for those 'in the know'.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Sorry to be a pest, ive not bee keeping track on this forum. I know this is a very irritating question.

How many refurbished sets are now in Scotland and how many in service?
How many unrefurbished sets are now in Scotland and how many in service?

InOban

Established Member
I can't find anything substantive about this proposed tour anywhere. Lochaber Chamber of Commerce reference one being organised by the Friends of the WHL but I can't find any references on their site or social media. The Northern Belle appears to be scheduled for the 18th but nothing else. Seems very much for those 'in the know'.
It clearly can't run on the scheduled date; whether it gets a new date, no idea. The rumour was that they were planning to send up an HSTfilled with the great and good.
Fortunately there was a local celebration last Wednesday, which was the actual 125th anniversary.

InOban

Established Member
It clearly can't run on the scheduled date; whether it gets a new date, no idea. The rumour was that they were planning to send up an HSTfilled with the great and good.
Fortunately there was a local celebration last Wednesday, which was the actual 125th anniversary.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Thanks that is very helpful. Will that mean INVERNESS to Glasgow/ Edinburgh will be all HST workings? Or is that optimistic.

It's not possible to run all services as HSTs until all 26 sets are in service. We only have 18 at present. So no, they won't all be for a while. Eventually they will all be 5 cars with the 4 car sets mainly on A to I, then it'll be a full service.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Sorry to be a pest, ive not bee keeping track on this forum. I know this is a very irritating question.

I THINK
19 HSTs total, of which 6 are refurbished.

EDIT: My thoughts are out of date and confused. See post below.

Last edited:

Clansman

Established Member

29 sets, 7 are refurbished so far of 26 of them (3 classics to go off-lease)
I put all the details on a drop down on the opening post to this thread a while back, along with further FAQs that may come up.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
26 sets, 7 are refurbished so far.
I put all the details on a drop down on the opening post to this thread a while back, along with further FAQs that may come up.

Only just realised you've done that. Thanks that's excellent and very helpful for keeping in track with the constantly changing situation.

Northhighland

26 sets, 7 are refurbished so far.

I assume then that if only 18 are in service the gap of 8 sets are some in Wabtec and some in maintenance?

Clansman

Established Member
Only just realised you've done that. Thanks that's excellent and very helpful for keeping in track with the constantly changing situation.
No problem :)
I assume then that if only 18 are in service the gap of 8 sets are some in Wabtec and some in maintenance?

Updated my post to account for the three additional classics which came up north as part of the remedial plan, but pretty much. Also remember staff training, and to provide general flexibility for covering for set swaps to minise the number of DMU sub ins and potential cancellations. Just goes to show how unreliable things are at the moment.

On Moderation
26 sets is the planned total fleet size ie including maintenance cover. Presumably planned for 22 or 23 diagrams eventually.

RLBH

It's not possible to run all services as HSTs until all 26 sets are in service. We only have 18 at present. So no, they won't all be for a while. Eventually they will all be 5 cars with the 4 car sets mainly on A to I, then it'll be a full service.
Presumably once another four or five are in service, a fluke of programming might see all 22/23 diagrams covered by HSTs, an event that will become more and more common as numbers increase towards the full 26.

Northhighland

26 sets is the planned total fleet size ie including maintenance cover. Presumably planned for 22 or 23 diagrams eventually.

So I assume if there were a need to, additional classic sets could be leased? So why prolong overcrowding and extend more 170 leases?

I assume this would have more to do with training issues than fleet issues?

Highland37

Established Member
Possible that there is an agreement with the union to not put human excrement out and they are so ancient and knackered that the service promised cannot be delivered.

Cashew

How many refurbished sets are in service today out of the total available on paper?
It is strange how no one has answered this question, which has been asked a number of times in the past and I for one am interested in the answer.

CJSwan

How many refurbished sets are in service today out of the total available on paper?
Seems to very between 0 and 3 most days, very occasionally 4. But I’m just going by my own personal observations and posts seen on Facebook groups.

Northhighland

Possible that there is an agreement with the union to not put human excrement out and they are so ancient and knackered that the service promised cannot be delivered.

Some of what you say I agree with. However there is no alternative but to persevere with the HST, LNER run them very successfully the project can and really has to work. For me best get on with it and deliver a full hST service as soon as possible.

hwl

Established Member
DfT agreed to a 31/12/19 last date for not CET stock a few years ago after union pressure.

Class83

So I assume if there were a need to, additional classic sets could be leased? So why prolong overcrowding and extend more 170 leases?

I assume this would have more to do with training issues than fleet issues?
I think all 170s which are leaving Scotrail have now left. Once there is a full complement of HSTs the 170s can be run as 6 car or 158s doubled and a 3 car 170 in some places. The Scotrail DMU fleet is currently like 'butter scraped over too much bread'. I agree a few extra classics to have a 26 set fleet, with a gradual taper from classic to refurb is a good idea. The East Coast sets must be getting freed up now, so there can't be a shortage, they're probably in better condition as well.

DfT agreed to a 31/12/19 last date for not CET stock a few years ago after union pressure.
Scotrail have already agreed to extend the loco haul services into next year, with 4.5 months to go, classic HSTs are pretty much a given as well.

InvHst

I think all 170s which are leaving Scotrail have now left. Once there is a full complement of HSTs the 170s can be run as 6 car or 158s doubled and a 3 car 170 in some places. The Scotrail DMU fleet is currently like 'butter scraped over too much bread'. I agree a few extra classics to have a 26 set fleet, with a gradual taper from classic to refurb is a good idea. The East Coast sets must be getting freed up now, so there can't be a shortage, they're probably in better condition as well.

Scotrail have already agreed to extend the loco haul services into next year, with 4.5 months to go, classic HSTs are pretty much a given as well.

In regard to the 170s haven't all left I believe the new emr franchise since being run by abellio have apparently agreed on a few heading their the unbranded that were due to go away are now going their not sure on a date but that's something that will be happening. And yes loco hauled extended till may timetable change currently could defo see classics getting a reprieve till then as well in hope enough refurbs in position but may struggle

hexagon789

Veteran Member
4 refurbs out today:

0942 Aberdeen-Glasgow QS
1040 Glasgow QS-Aberdeen
1230 Edinburgh-Aberdeen
1312 Aberdeen-Edinburgh

marks87

Established Member
Does anyone know how things have been with cycle reservations on HSTs? Have guards been ensuring that spaces are left for people with reservations joining further down the line?

It was more straightforward with 170s because there was a little wriggle-room if both racks were full, but on both types of HST space is a bit more restricted.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Does anyone know how things have been with cycle reservations on HSTs? Have guards been ensuring that spaces are left for people with reservations joining further down the line?

It was more straightforward with 170s because there was a little wriggle-room if both racks were full, but on both types of HST space is a bit more restricted.

The Classics can take 3 bikes in the TGS

There is 5S01 Leicester to haymarket move right now (should be approaching york) and a haymarket to Doncaster move tomorrow. Most likely be a set of unrefurbished coaches going to be refurbished.

EDIT : ROG 47 and 2 barrier coaches gone past york railcam at 1111

Goldromans

Just left Inverness on the 1046 to Edinburgh. A 170. And as I was walking up the platform, a classic HST arrived in from Huntley. I know it’s been explained that an HST can’t work a diagram unless ALL the staff are HST-trained, but still a tad annoying. And the ticket machines weren’t working again. Only redeeming feature is the staff, who have been wonderful. (And the guard even asked people to keep feet of seats too!)

When is the next scheduled increase in HST diagrams, and does anyone know what they may be yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.