• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail HSTs - 4-5 years in

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
If the brake's not safety-critical then wouldn't it be more efficient to train drivers to be able to operate the HSTs when it's out of order, instead of cancelling/substituting entire diagrams of services?

Wolfie

Established Member
If the brake's not safety-critical then wouldn't it be more efficient to train drivers to be able to operate the HSTs when it's out of order, instead of cancelling/substituting entire diagrams of services?
Given the ongoing debate about the cab safety of those trains and when they are going to be replaced as a result that could be akin to pouring petrol onto an open fire

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
My contact said it would be still 15 in June, despite 16 being planned for earlier.
If the diagrams I have worked out are correct, it’s 15. The 16th would need to be one of the diagrams I have split in half, which is possible, but unlikely. Remember an Edinburgh to Aberdeen return service is still ‘suspended indefinitely’, so it’s likely the lack of a 16th is from this.

On an unrelated point, I see a rake of Coach E’s were moved to Haymarket from Slateford yesterday. Currently all sat as a set with a power car at each end.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Yeah gonna make up more 5 coach sets after they have been giving the once over.
Not surprised. At least that’s them finally getting used. Must’ve been sat at Slateford a good 3 years at least now?

Will be interesting to see how many sets are still 4 cars after this. Possibly less than half.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If the diagrams I have worked out are correct, it’s 15. The 16th would need to be one of the diagrams I have split in half, which is possible, but unlikely. Remember an Edinburgh to Aberdeen return service is still ‘suspended indefinitely’, so it’s likely the lack of a 16th is from this.

On an unrelated point, I see a rake of Coach E’s were moved to Haymarket from Slateford yesterday. Currently all sat as a set with a power car at each end.
There is an extra one, formed exactly as you surmise by splitting an existing one in half.

It gives an additional HST working each way over the Inverness/Aberdeen line IIRC.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It gives an additional HST working each way over the Inverness/Aberdeen line IIRC.
Correct. I believe it’s created from reshuffling the Aberdeen daytime arrivals/departures as well.

Which diagram has been split in half, I still have yet to work out. However, I have a fairly good idea which one it is. I had come to this conclusion as without it, it’s impossible for the diagrams to run sequentially.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Which diagram has been split in half, I still have yet to work out. However, I have a fairly good idea which one it is. I had come to this conclusion as without it, it’s impossible for the diagrams to run sequentially.
From memory an Inverness arrival from Edinburgh now goes to Aberdeen instead of back to Edinburgh, with an arrival at Inverness from Aberdeen now going on to Edinburgh instead.

John Bishop

From memory an Inverness arrival from Edinburgh now goes to Aberdeen instead of back to Edinburgh, with an arrival at Inverness from Aberdeen now going on to Edinburgh instead.
Yeah 1228 to Aberdeen from Inverness is now HST and the 1008 from Aberdeen to Inverness is now an HST also.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Yeah 1228 to Aberdeen from Inverness is now HST and the 1008 from Aberdeen to Inverness is now an HST also.
However this isn’t what creates the 16th diagram. This is a re tweak of an few existing ones.

I do have the diagrams I’ve come up with if people would wish for them to be shared, and then no doubt people can pick the holes where necessary.