• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Industrial Relations issues (including conductor strike action)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deltic1961

The mood seems to be changing on Twitter. At the start there was some sympathy for the company but judging by recent tweets notifying of the strike people are just getting sick of it now. Also Scotrail have confirmed the strike is extended until 5th September.

ld0595

That's a bummer. Was hoping to take the train for a few weekend trips I have planned but looks like I'll be driving.

Will the strike action end when driver training is complete and they no longer receive the enhanced overtime payment? Or should we expect this to go on further?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
That's a bummer. Was hoping to take the train for a few weekend trips I have planned but looks like I'll be driving.

Will the strike action end when driver training is complete and they no longer receive the enhanced overtime payment? Or should we expect this to go on further?
Surely, they'll take every opportunity to prolong it - they just need a new/different reason.

wobman

On Moderation

It's not the ASLEF drivers in dispute, it's the RMT ScotRail conductors. The drivers will get overtime for working Sundays as it's not part of the working week, having more drivers won't really make a difference. By Making Sundays part of the working week as some TOCs have negotiated, this then will solve these Sunday service issues.

wobman

On Moderation
The real problem is that they still live in their 1980s utopia and the passing decades have not brought any significant changes to their approach to the real world outside. It's all rather reminiscent of the Scargill era when he thought he was more powerful than he was in practice.
Presumably, this saga is best left alone and the more pragmatic staff will see a way forward ?
But Sundays are not part of the working week at ScotRail, until that issue is resolved there will always be trouble covering Sunday services by using overtime.

VP185

Surely this action ruins its for everyone else in the future. A TOC will now think twice and probably reject the idea of offering enhanced rates to a particular grade to avoid a dispute.
The action of the RMT is potentially limiting the future earnings of its members.

wobman

On Moderation
Surely this action ruins its for everyone else in the future. A TOC will now think twice and probably reject the idea of offering enhanced rates to a particular grade to avoid a dispute.
The action of the RMT is potentially limiting the future earnings of its members.
If there's no enhanced rate they won't get any volunteers, then a lot of services wont run as volunteers are needed to cover Sunday working. As there's always absence/ leave / route knowledge etc to cover against.

Tav77

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but, how busy are the Sunday late afternoon services between Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
But Sundays are not part of the working week at ScotRail, until that issue is resolved there will always be trouble covering Sunday services by using overtime.
Perhaps better if all parties give up until common sense prevails. Just withdraw all Sunday Scotrail services and see what happens.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but, how busy are the Sunday late afternoon services between Edinburgh and Glasgow?
Of the few that are running in the Greater Glasgow area, not very busy.

No others running.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Why? I am fulfilling my contracted hours. Overtime is voluntary and you can not be forced to work it.

Folk don't get it. This may legally be shown as a "strike" but in reality it is merely an overtime ban.
It must be either a strike OR an overtime ban.
Which is it?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Which is it?
Traincrew are contractually committed to work a certain number of Sundays as overtime, unless they can find cover.

So in reality this is both a (directed) overtime ban and a form of industrial action.

snookertam

If the conductors and ticket examiners feel aggrieved about their position then it’s their right to withdraw their labour. If consequence of that was to be sackings then we would all be in a bad place. Think of what employers up and down the UK could get away with if that sort of precedent was set.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Why? I am fulfilling my contracted hours. Overtime is voluntary and you can not be forced to work it.

Folk don't get it. This may legally be shown as a "strike" but in reality it is merely an overtime ban.
It's not voluntary though. At Scotrail drivers and guards are contracted to work a set number of Sundays per year albeit for an overtime rate. All Sunday work is covered this way. You can opt out of working a rostered Sunday if someone else is willing to cover it. If no cover you must work it or you are in breach of contract. I've checked my contract and Sundays are included in it.

wobman

On Moderation
It's not voluntary though. At Scotrail drivers and guards are contracted to work a set number of Sundays per year albeit for an overtime rate. All Sunday work is covered this way. You can opt out of working a rostered Sunday if someone else is willing to cover it. If no cover you must work it or you are in breach of contract. I've checked my contract and Sundays are included in it.
It's still overtime outside your working week, it's called committed overtime. It's a way of covering Sunday working without the extra staff required to put Sunday inside the working week.
Some TOCs use a golden ticket method to enable traincrew wanting the day off but can't get cover to not work that Sunday, usually it's once a year you can use it.

Sundays is a very divisive and controversial subject on the railways, some tocs have the day in the week but they need a lot more staff or outside of the working week but use overtime but cover the work.

If tocs have the day inside the working week there's no disputes such as this.......

island

Veteran Member
Which is it?
I think arguing over the semantics isn’t especially useful; nothing in the discussion turns on the point.

I shall refer to it as “industrial action” and suggest you do also.

Carntyne

I think arguing over the semantics isn’t especially useful; nothing in the discussion turns on the point.

"Strike action by Scotrail staff in fight for equality solidly supported again today‎."

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Wouldn't it be great if Union representatives and long suffering passengers were able to officially meet face to face and express their views.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

Not at all. If it's a strike then it is subject to specific legal issues. If it's industrial action it may be subject to different issues. If the RMT define it as an official strike (as others have suggested) then I guess they know best, and will apply the law as appropriate.
It does nothing to help if you atttempt to deflect what the situation is in law.

Established Member
Wouldn't it be great if Union representatives and long suffering passengers were able to officially meet face to face and express their views.

Somebody else who seems to think trade unions are supposed to represent passengers’ interests. Their only duty is to their members.

The passengers should be rightly aggrieved that the company which is supposed to provide them with rail services has allowed an industrial dispute to deteriorate to the current situation.

Journeyman

Established Member
Not at all. If it's a strike then it is subject to specific legal issues. If it's industrial action it may be subject to different issues. If the RMT define it as an official strike (as others have suggested) then I guess they know best, and will apply the law as appropriate.
It does nothing to help if you atttempt to deflect what the situation is in law.
I admire your optimism!

Taunton

Established Member
May as well just shut the railway down for good on Sunday. It will save the payroll costs of everyone else who is there with no trains running. Forget all this "green future" stuff, which seems dependent on staff who don't want to work that day. If you want to do anything on a Sunday, buy a car.

24Grange

Lots of bus routes don't run on a Sunday ( or run to a vastly minimal timetable) - Do the same with the trains - sorted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.