• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Industrial Relations issues (including conductor strike action)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snookertam

On the issue with delegates, something worth remembering is that there are also a substantial number of visitors to the city for fringe events and protest marches. Many of these people will be staying in suburbs and satellite towns. Glasgow is very much a suburban sprawl which, under normal circumstances, relies on a substantial public transport network. This is the reason why it has such a large commuter network converting on the city centre.

The delegates will also be getting free travel passes for the time that they are here, which will include rail travel. They will most certainly notice if they are staying somewhere like Giffnock or Bishopbriggs and can’t get the train into the city centre. The potential for this to reflect badly is there, but I suppose that lacks the context of comparison to elsewhere. For example, when previous COP summits took place in Paris, Kyoto and copenhagen, were there disputes involving public transport workers there? If so, we never heard about them.

The other point worth noting is that the Clydeside Expressway will be closed for the duration of the event, which is a major road artery to the North and West of the city. The North Clyde and Argule Lines especially will be needed to take on the load as alternative way to access the city centre. If they are not operating, that would be problematic.

I would take the point @Taunton made about the risk to the 7 day per week railway, although I’d disagree that nobody would notice if the railway disappeared north of the Central Belt. Inverness, Aberdeen and Dundee heavily rely on their rail connections to the south, both socially and economically, and routes such as the Far North, Kyle and West Highland not only provide additional tourist £s to the areas they serve, also provide a social function too. That’s not to say they are heavily used or the preferred mode of transport for the population. But people would notice if they were gone. These trains don’t run empty all the time.

In saying that, I agree that people may well adapt to a reduced Sunday service or a scaled back railway, and that is something I’d be concerned about. From a few years back talking about expansion, and believing Sunday travel habits on many routes more likely to resemble Saturdays, we might end up back in the 1990s with many Sunday routes withdrawn or with skeletal services.

However, government isn’t just an innocent bystander here, responding to consumer demand. Much of that demand can be induced by ensuring a frequent train service is retained into the future. Most demand for cars and road usage is induced by subsidised petrol costs and low cost car ownership, along with road building schemes. Make a mode of transport easier and more convenient for people to get from A to B, and they’ll use it. They may even use it when they might otherwise have not made a journey at all. That’s as true for the railway as it is any other mode - you only have to look at the Borders railway to see what happens there.

So the idea that the unions will be responsible for the demise of the railway in Scotland is, for me, a red herring. Government has ultimate responsibility for ensuring that doesn’t happen, and as has been discussed elsewhere, aren’t really showing much interest given the proposed timetable that cuts 300 services per day.

Mystery to many, nationwide. It was all a question of who was well-enough connected with the government to get first dibs at the funds. I understand the union attitude was that no way were they going to be furloughed, despite there being no passengers. There was the pretence that it was all provided for key workers, when anyone could see that all the key workers were using their cars even more than normal.
The government absolutely view the railway as key infrastructure, it just depends how essential they view it, and for how long. They certainly don’t have the same view of it as per-Covid though, but that could apply in a lot of areas of policy.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do the RMT really think they are going to be portrayed as "the good guys" if this strike goes ahead? Whilst the Scottish Government / Abellio certainly have a lot to lose I'm not sure the RMT will come out of this smelling of roses either.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Most demand for cars and road usage is induced by subsidised petrol costs and low cost car ownership, along with road building schemes.

Nit sure I would agree with that, especially here in Scotland where many journeys are simply not possible, or practical, by train, or bus. For example, my daughter lives around 30 miles away, but to visit her by rail involves a walk to one station for the first train, a change to another train, then another long walk to her home. So despite having staff rail travel, I only ever visit her by car, which takes about a quarter of the time compared to the train. No amount of investment in rail is ever going to change that.

LoogaBarooga

Mystery to many, nationwide. It was all a question of who was well-enough connected with the government to get first dibs at the funds. I understand the union attitude was that no way were they going to be furloughed, despite there being no passengers. There was the pretence that it was all provided for key workers, when anyone could see that all the key workers were using their cars even more than normal.
So the government just did it out the kindness of their hearts then?

haggishunter

Perceived value and quality of service is important to demand, and part of that is the reliability and robustness of the service.

If people perceive their rail service can just vanish for a couple of weeks at a time, there will be a lingering reluctance to be dependent on the railway - something that will undermine post covid recovery.

I’ve been pondering though whether a 6 day railway might be a preferable way to deliver a large part of electrification works in the medium term as we appear to have seen this year!

Coolzac

I'm aiming to go from Glasgow to Morar on Sunday 19th December. What are the chances the dispute will have ended by then?

scotrail158713

Established Member
I'm aiming to go from Glasgow to Morar on Sunday 19th December. What are the chances the dispute will have ended by then?
If you'd asked me back in March when this kicked off about a similar timeframe (i.e. 2-3 months away so looking at a journey for May/June time) I'd have said you should be fine. However this has gone on for so long that making your journey by train now seems unlikely.

alangla

Your choice appears to be to either book Citylink now (£19.80 to Fort William, £32something to Morar but only on the Monday), wait a couple of weeks to see if the dispute is miraculously resolved before COP26 or, if you can drive, book a hire car on free cancellation if you can get a cheap deal & see what happens.

Coolzac

If you'd asked me back in March when this kicked off about a similar timeframe (i.e. 2-3 months away so looking at a journey for May/June time) I'd have said you should be fine. However this has gone on for so long that making your journey by train now seems unlikely.
Thanks. I'll see if its resolved in the next few weeks. If not, I'll make other arrangements!

The government absolutely view the railway as key infrastructure, it just depends how essential they view it, and for how long. They certainly don’t have the same view of it as per-Covid though, but that could apply in a lot of areas of policy.
On top of which, the railways are absolutely key infrastructure for this conference. It will not work without the rail network bringing people in and out.

Christmas

Is there any prospect of ScotRail running a resilient service if the strike goes ahead? The DOO services should be easy enough to roster but not the guard operated services. Unless of course they train up 'contingency' conductors in the next fortnight. There will be no shortage of volunteers from the head office but then who does their jobs?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is there any prospect of ScotRail running a resilient service if the strike goes ahead? The DOO services should be easy enough to roster but not the guard operated services. Unless of course they train up 'contingency' conductors in the next fortnight. There will be no shortage of volunteers from the head office but then who does their jobs?
There will be services, even some non-DOO ones. But only on routes to/from Glasgow.

The DOO services aren't much easier, as they still require a manager to be rostered to be on the train.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
There will be services, even some non-DOO ones. But only on routes to/from Glasgow.

The DOO services aren't much easier, as they still require a manager to be rostered to be on the train.
Don't the DOO services already operate without a 2nd person on rare occasions?
Surely, Scotrail can permit this for a limited period ?

haggishunter

Looks to be a single return ScotRail train on the full length of the West Highland Line on Sundays from this coming weekend from the booking engine, though appears to require a change at Crianlarich with a 2 hour wait going Northbound ! :s

Christmas

Of course the DOO services are easier to staff. They are covered by managers and office staff on Sundays who have been shown how to deploy a wheelchair ramp. That training takes about ten minutes. Guard services require someone to be passed out on traction, routes and rules including PTS. So unless they're currently training strike breakers, there will not be enough trains to provide a meaningful service for COP.

Looks to be a single return ScotRail train on the full length of the West Highland Line on Sundays from this coming weekend from the booking engine, though appears to require a change at Crianlarich with a 2 hour wait going Northbound ! :s
Interesting. Would this be the first crewed service to operate so far?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Don't the DOO services already operate without a 2nd person on rare occasions?
Surely, Scotrail can permit this for a limited period ?
They can operate without the second person, but the agreement with the drivers is that a second person must be rostered to be on the train. Which obviously Scotrail cannot do for more than a handful of trains, when relying on its pool of managers.

Of course the DOO services are easier to staff. They are covered by managers and office staff on Sundays who have been shown how to deploy a wheelchair ramp. That training takes about ten minutes. Guard services require someone to be passed out on traction, routes and rules including PTS. So unless they're currently training strike breakers, there will not be enough trains to provide a meaningful service for COP.
There are managers who are trained and competent as conductors. They will be put in on the limited number of non-DOO services that run.

Class 170101

Established Member
I’ve been pondering though whether a 6 day railway might be a preferable way to deliver a large part of electrification works in the medium term as we appear to have seen this year!
A six day railway is unacceptable as you are trying to induce travel by the leisure market now that (former) commuters are now working from home. The aim should be to 'reach the sky' that is the seven day railway and you might just reach the top of the tree which will be a seven day railway on most weeks.

snookertam

I think it’s more likely that some trains haven’t been removed from the booking system yet.

Rockhopperr

Short, short memories. Do not forget a guard travelling PASS was instrumental in expediting the emergency service response at Carmont. Guards are absolutely vital.
Running an ‘easy’ DOO service is asking for trouble. Is safety an afterthought now that we’re all experts in Covid?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Short, short memories. Do not forget a guard travelling PASS was instrumental in expediting the emergency service response at Carmont.
Are you suggesting that all services should have a guard travelling pass, in case there should be a 1-in-15-year tragedy?

Guards are absolutely vital.
They undoubtedly play an important role. But Scotrail run lots of trains without them, as do many other TOCs. In that context, it's difficult to say that they are absolutely vital.

Running an ‘easy’ DOO service is asking for trouble. Is safety an afterthought now that we’re all experts in Covid?
I don't see what Covid has to do with DOO? The poster was asking a perfectly reasonable question - DOO trains can run without a TE actually onboard, so why can't that be done at a larger scale to provide a good service for COP26? Of course there is more to it than might meet the eye, hence why that isn't possible.

alf

On Moderation
Guards are absolutely vital.

Vital?
Suburban trains into everyone of the London Termini except Waterloo & Euston plus the all long distance Thameslink trains have run with only a driver aboard for 30 years.
Seem to have an exemplary safety record all that time.

I hope Scotrail will run as normally as possible during the event.
Scotland’s central belt has a brilliant rail network & it would be a great shame if all the visitors do not have a chance to see how good it is.
Specially the amazing number of services in normal times via the many different routes between Glasgow & Edinburgh.

snookertam

The issue with the DOO services here is that they still must have a second member of staff rostered to work the train. If there is a strike, then nobody can be rostered to work. This is why almost the entire network, including the DOO routes, have been brought to halt every Sunday since March.

There is no way that they are getting the staff together to work trains for 12 days in a row. The only option is to reach an agreement with the Union, if trains are to run.

Short, short memories. Do not forget a guard travelling PASS was instrumental in expediting the emergency service response at Carmont. Guards are absolutely vital.

The RAIB report states that it was Network Rail contractors whilst on site heard the crash and called 999 immediately as they witnessed the derailed loco and carraige coming down the embankment. That was at 09.37 and by 09.48 all traffic was stopped with the emergency services en route

notadriver

Established Member
They can operate without the second person, but the agreement with the drivers is that a second person must be rostered to be on the train. Which obviously Scotrail cannot do for more than a handful of trains, when relying on its pool of managers.

There are managers who are trained and competent as conductors. They will be put in on the limited number of non-DOO services that run.

What if the managers who are ‘trained and competent’ as conductors aren’t actually competent and the driver refuses to move the train? Does the manager overrule the drivers decision ?

The issue with the DOO services here is that they still must have a second member of staff rostered to work the train. If there is a strike, then nobody can be rostered to work. This is why almost the entire network, including the DOO routes, have been brought to halt every Sunday since March.

There is no way that they are getting the staff together to work trains for 12 days in a row. The only option is to reach an agreement with the Union, if trains are to run.
We seem to be forgetting here that DOO has been running safely in the Strathclyde area since 1981.With no guards on the trains. In recent years they was extended through to Edinburgh via Bathgate with no safety issues. These trains form the bulk of the most heavily populated areas of Central Scotland. Do we really need guards, the answer overwhelmingly seems to be no.

T

The issue here is that DOO has been safely in use in the Strathclyde area since 1981. It's recently been extended to Edinburgh via, Bathgate. The trains service the largest populated area in Central Scotland and have no safety issues in those many years.

So the real question is why do we continue to need a guard on a train. They are more useful facing passengers and collecting fare revenue.

Last edited:

What if the managers who are ‘trained and competent’ as conductors aren’t actually competent and the driver refuses to move the train? Does the manager overrule the drivers decision ?

The driver would have to have a valid reason for deeming the manager incompetent such as being belled away against a red rather than just implying they’re incompetent because they’re a manager.

Nobody overrules the driver if he refuses to drive due to safety concerns.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We've been doing very well avoiding the DOO landmine but I see we have now trodden on it. As there is, to my knowledge, no part of the various disputes that relates to DOO and a possible expansion on Scotrail the subject is off-topic. Any further posts are therefore liable for deletion. In the unlikely event that someone does have something new to say on the subject (and I would strongly advise that you review previous topics before claiming that as it has been done to death on multiple occasions) then it would be something that would need to be in a new thread.

Starmill

Veteran Member
A small handful of ticket examiners or conductors are likely to be working too during a twelve day strike. It's a pretty different situation to a weekly strike which doesn't affect your basic pay.

Another option is to run a limited service on key routes, which as stated upthread is what will happen if the strike is not called off.
Indeed. As has happened on almost all occasions when there has been strike action in the past few decades.

Christmas

Indeed. As has happened on almost all occasions when there has been strike action in the past few decades.
Correct but in previous disputes the company has run rules courses for strike breakers drafted in from offices, First Rail Support and Abellio Rail Replacement. To the best of my knowledge that hasn't happened so far and time is running out to do it. I doubt that there will be any trains on anything other than DOO lines as the fully competent managers are just not there in the numbers required to run even a skeleton service for a fortnight. They have their own jobs to do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.