• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail New and Refurbished Stock update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
I'm near positive 870 formed the 05.18 Perth to Queen Street this morning, with the saltire seated 8xx and 786 stabled at the north end of Platform 4 of the former.

Which leaves the other 5 x 158s due to head South.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScottDarg

320315 looks like it'll be emerging from KBRS Springburn tomorrow (Glasgow Works) after internal refresh with another unit going in. 37884's making its way North today for the moves.

Thursday 04/01/2018

0S07 1005 Leicester L.I.P. to Carlisle:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O57840/2018/01/04/advanced

0S07 1621 Carlisle to Glasgow Works: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O57867/2018/01/04/advanced CANCELLED

Friday 05/01/2018

???? 0903 Glasgow Works to Shields T.M.D. (E):
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96297/2018/01/05/advanced

5T07 1200 Shields T.M.D. (E) to Glasgow Works: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O57851/2018/01/05/advanced

320315 is the first of the original Class 320 fleet to undergo internal refurbishment and should now have an interior similar to that on the 320/4 units.

EDIT: Scored out working showing cancelled, new path in for early tomorrow morning so moves should still be on:

0S07 0521 Carlisle to Glasgow Works: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O57967/2018/01/05/advanced

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
I'm near positive 870 formed the 05.18 Perth to Queen Street this morning, with the saltire seated 8xx and 786 stabled at the north end of Platform 4 of the former.

Which leaves the other 5 x 158s due to head South.
There were 8 158s going. Has a third gone before?

Clansman

Established Member
There were 8 158s going. Has a third gone before?
The 8 units due to head south are the same 8 x 158s which came up from England and Wales about 10 year ago, with the tatty interiors.

I was merely trying to eliminate 3 of these I saw at Perth at 5am this morning which were diagrammed to run services today, one of which I'm sure was 870 which I caught to Queen Street (although I can't be certain), which was rumored to have been one of the 2 heading south today. The other 2 units at Perth were '786, and the one which has the saltire seat coverings (which I can't mind the number of), which rules them out of being the ones transferred to Northern.

So if I'm right in saying that it was 870 that worked the service this morning, that means that 2 of the following units would've headed south;

782, 789, 867, 868, 869, 871 [*of which one of these was the unidentified one I noticed this morning].

ScottDarg

The 8 units due to head south are the same 8 x 158s which came up from England and Wales about 10 year ago, with the tatty interiors.

I was merely trying to eliminate 3 of these I saw at Perth at 5am this morning which were diagrammed to run services today, one of which I'm sure was 870 which I caught to Queen Street (although I can't be certain), which was rumored to have been one of the 2 heading south today. The other 2 units at Perth were '786, and the one which has the saltire seat coverings (which I can't mind the number of), which rules them out of being the ones transferred to Northern.

So if I'm right in saying that it was 870 that worked the service this morning, that means that 2 of the following units would've headed south;

782, 789, 867, 868, 869, 871 [*of which one of these was the unidentified one I noticed this morning].

Definitely 870 and 871, saw a pic of them heading through Newcastle earlier. Will try and find it again

EDIT: Found it (not my pic): https://flic.kr/p/238uCco

Mordac

Established Member

Sorry, I misunderstood you, then. Thanks for your post though, as now I know which ones are going!

EDIT: Isn't 789 a former SWT unit, with a first class section?

InOban

Established Member
Surely only four can be released at the moment. The two 380 diagrams on the E-G have released four 170s to replace four 158s.

Altnabreac

Established Member
i'm slightly surprised that 158s are being released before the disposal of the Fife Circle Congestion busters. Would have thought that cost wise it would be more of a saving to get rid of the Loco Hauled services ASAP. Maybe they have a contract for them until December 2018 though?

Class83

i'm slightly surprised that 158s are being released before the disposal of the Fife Circle Congestion busters. Would have thought that cost wise it would be more of a saving to get rid of the Loco Hauled services ASAP. Maybe they have a contract for them until December 2018 though?
Scotrail is currently cancelling, short forming and skipping stops like mad to cover for a desperate shortage of units as the 385s are late meaning 16 (well 12 as they're using the 380s on some diagrams) 170s which should have been cascaded from Edinburgh-Glasgow haven't. There was plenty work on the network for the spare units, I can forsee the loco hauls staying until December. The 385s and some HSTs should relieve a bit of pressure by the end of this year.

Other than the 8*158, when do they have to start sending 170s south?

mcmad

It does rather seem like a spectacular on goal on Scotrail/Transport Scotlands part to be releasing any stock given the large number of services daily being short formed along with the changes brought in as part of the December timetable change with a number of services on the GLQ - Stirling corridor changing from 2 x 156 to 1 x 170 with the resultant loss of capacity.

Established Member
It does rather seem like a spectacular on goal on Scotrail/Transport Scotlands part to be releasing any stock given the large number of services daily being short formed along with the changes brought in as part of the December timetable change with a number of services on the GLQ - Stirling corridor changing from 2 x 156 to 1 x 170 with the resultant loss of capacity.
I don't doubt that it's risky, but do we know what sort of pressures are being applied from Northern for the stock to shift?

It's a bit like the HSTs, we keep getting told that they're moving to Scotland on time regardless of whether GWR is in a position to release them.

Carntyne

It's lease end dates, there isn't much leeway with them. When it hits the date, they go. Similar to GWR HSTs coming North.

Hitachi not delivering 385 units on time is having a huge impact.

route101

Established Member
Surprised no mentioned a NT 156 operated for Scotrail and done an East Kilbride run.

ScottDarg

Surprised no mentioned a NT 156 operated for Scotrail and done an East Kilbride run.

Pic here: https://flic.kr/p/22apUzb

I've seen mention that it was because a ScotRail unit was trapped by the engineering works at Newcastle, not sure how accurate that is though. See the response from HighlandSpring below

It went back south on the 16:13 from Glasgow to Metrocentre behind a Saltired 156.

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member
That was due to a Northern unit step up which ScotRail Control knew nothing about until a photo appeared online and someone spotted it. There was no ScotRail set trapped by the work; it was a one off and won't be happening again. It actually did two EK's and a Kilmarnock and none of the crews who worked it cracked a light to Control!

capital12

I read in another thread 156443 was in Glasgow - I’d assumed they meant going to the works, not in service!

I’m assuming this has something to do with the Newcastle engineering works this week?

I’m heading to Scotland to try and clear my remaining SR 156s this week and while trying to work out some of the diagrams from Realtime Trains I ended up with a ScotRail unit potentially going to Whitehaven which I thought was odd so discounted it! (The Newcastle runs only going to Metrocentre then tend to do a couple of Hexhams before heading back towards Carlisle).

Maybe there is a bit more swapping about this week than I thought!

route101

Established Member
I read in another thread 156443 was in Glasgow - I’d assumed they meant going to the works, not in service!

I’m assuming this has something to do with the Newcastle engineering works this week?

I’m heading to Scotland to try and clear my remaining SR 156s this week and while trying to work out some of the diagrams from Realtime Trains I ended up with a ScotRail unit potentially going to Whitehaven which I thought was odd so discounted it! (The Newcastle runs only going to Metrocentre then tend to do a couple of Hexhams before heading back towards Carlisle).

Maybe there is a bit more swapping about this week than I thought!

Scotrail to Whitehaven surely not .

route101

Established Member
That was due to a Northern unit step up which ScotRail Control knew nothing about until a photo appeared online and someone spotted it. There was no ScotRail set trapped by the work; it was a one off and won't be happening again. It actually did two EK's and a Kilmarnock and none of the crews who worked it cracked a light to Control!

Surprised it happened , dont think its first time NT 156 has been to Central though . I suppose a 156 is a 156 , would of been a different story if a different class came up .

Clansman

Established Member
The fact that nobody reported that it was a Northern unit is testimont to the Scottish attitude of not giving a **** and just getting on with it.

ScottDarg

Thanks for putting right what's been suggested elsewhere.

Established Member
Call me superstitious, and certainly I'm off topic, but am I the only person who thinks that new Northern logo is an unlucky horseshoe?

ScottDarg

Call me superstitious, and certainly I'm off topic, but am I the only person who thinks that new Northern logo is an unlucky horseshoe?

I've seen that as well, wasn't sure if others thought it looked like that:lol:

Back on topic; I got a pic of 158736 in Edinburgh on Saturday and it was looking very fresh despite having emerged from refurb in early November from what I can find. Kudos to those responsible for keeping it in that state.

route101

Established Member
The fact that nobody reported that it was a Northern unit is testimont to the Scottish attitude of not giving a **** and just getting on with it.

They must of questioned it unless they would get a slap on the wrist eh

Status
Not open for further replies.