• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail New and Refurbished Stock update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottDarg

What are the 320s having done, other than socket fitment?
Refering to the orrigonal batch.

This has some info on what's getting done: http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newskbrs-to-refurbish-scotrails-class-320-trains-5757031

Their interiors will look pretty much the same as the 320/4s when they're done by the sounds of it.

Last I heard there is still one of yhe additional 3 still at Leicester. One of the 3 was still a 321 parked in yard at Wabtec and no idea on the other.
There has been no official word from Scotrail on these 3, so it may not happen

I had a look at Scot-Rail which has 321401 arriving at Doncaster on the 16th of May with the other two at Leicester, not sure when that was last updated though.

This page from the same site has at least one of the conversions taking just over 6 months (http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+320).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

This has some info on what's getting done: http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newskbrs-to-refurbish-scotrails-class-320-trains-5757031

Their interiors will look pretty much the same as the 320/4s when they're done by the sounds of it.

I had a look at Scot-Rail which has 321401 arriving at Doncaster on the 16th of May with the other two at Leicester, not sure when that was last updated though.

This page from the same site has at least one of the conversions taking just over 6 months (http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+320).

321401 subsequently moved from Doncaster to Ilford, under its own power, reason unknown. 403 undergoing work at Wabtec, 404 still at Leicester I think.

ScottDarg

A couple of light loco moves this weekend:

First 13.10.2017:- http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R90253/2017/10/13/advanced

Second 14.10.2017:- http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R56785/2017/10/14/advanced

The original poster of the info has suggested this is for the Class 320 internal refurbs.

Thanks TheDustyBinman and SC318250 on scot-rail.co.uk for the heads up: http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/thread/469634/page1/469689

EDIT: Confirmed 37884 in the scot-rail thread, currently dragging 321404 from Leicester to Doncaster before heading up to Springburn.

Last edited:

AndrewNewens

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-12 at 11.09.05 AM.jpeg.gallery.jpg

From today's Northern Echo in Darlington.......

"TRAIN builder Hitachi has unveiled the first UK built commuter trains to be completed at its Newton Aycliffe factory.

The trains made their appearance to the hit song, 'Right here, right now' by Fatboy Slim this morning.

A fleet of 70 Class 385 trains will, say Hitachi, transform journeys for the ScotRail commuter routes, including Edinburgh to Glasgow.

The Class 385 marks the first commuter train to be built by employees at Newton Aycliffe".

ScottDarg

Last edited:
170420 returned to haymarket on Thursday evening, not sure whether its in the plain blue or saltire livery. Another 170 went to Kilmarnock last night, does anyone know which unit it was?

156462 has apparently been refurbished and returned by the 23rd October, has it returned in saltire or first scotrail livery?

p.d87

156462 has apparently been refurbished and returned by the 23rd October, has it returned in saltire or first scotrail livery?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure I saw that today at Edinburgh then again Glasgow Central in shiny saltire livery today. It was working the 1021 EDB-GLC via Carstairs.

Mordac

Established Member
156462 has apparently been refurbished and returned by the 23rd October, has it returned in saltire or first scotrail livery?

I'm sure I saw that today at Edinburgh then again Glasgow Central in shiny saltire livery today. It was working the 1021 EDB-GLC via Carstairs.
Why would a DMU be operating that? Do you mean via Shotts?

ScottDarg

Why would a DMU be operating that? Do you mean via Shotts?

I've seen a DMU on the Edinburgh - Glasgow via Carstairs, not 100% sure why though.

Pic of a DMU arriving at Carstairs: https://flic.kr/p/C7yYyS (my pic)

On the topic of 156s, I saw 478 had Saltire seat covers but had retained the old seats instead of having the ones used in 510, is this temporary or has the seat style used in 510 been abandoned?

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I've seen a DMU on the Edinburgh - Glasgow via Carstairs, not 100% sure why though.

Pic of it arriving at Carstairs: https://flic.kr/p/C7yYyS (my pic)

On the topic of 156s, I saw 478 had Saltire seat covers but had retained the old seats instead of having the ones used in 510, is this temporary or has the seat style used in 510 been abandoned?
Think theres a 156 service in the morning .
Theres a fair few 156s with saltire seats and ones with green seats with saltire carpet but only one with new seats . apparently its been dealyed due to wrong sizing of seats .

ScottDarg

Think theres a 156 service in the morning .
Theres a fair few 156s with saltire seats and ones with green seats with saltire carpet but only one with new seats . apparently its been dealyed due to wrong sizing of seats .

The issue is that the seats are higher than the old ones so knees hit the tables, I believe.

I remember reading on here about the seat height issue but hadn't read anything regarding whether or not the issue's been resolved.

I managed to ride on 510 a couple of weeks ago and, whilst the tables felt low in relation to the new seats, I didn't think they were that bad and didn't need to be raised by much to be right.

The height of the new seats is an improvement I think, I also found them fairly comfortable.

I remember reading on here about the seat height issue but hadn't read anything regarding whether or not the issue's been resolved.

I managed to ride on 510 a couple of weeks ago and, whilst the tables felt low in relation to the new seats, I didn't think they were that bad and didn't need to be raised by much to be right.

The height of the new seats is an improvement I think, I also found them fairly comfortable.

There is almost 5inches less of space between the top of the seat cushion and the bottom of the table with the new seats in 156 510. I think it's been a bit embarrassing for the 156 refurb project management team and engineers as they never noticed it until it was pointed out to them by a driver.

capital12

Pic of it arriving at Carstairs: https://flic.kr/p/C7yYyS (my pic)

That pic is 156442 - they were talking about 156462 above!

ScottDarg

Press release regarding additional 320/4s

Welcome £8M contract boost for Kilmarnock rail firm and ScotRail passengers

Kilmarnock based rail firm Wabtec has been given a welcome jobs boost with the announcement of a train refurbishment contract worth around £8m.

Funded by the Scottish Government and aimed at tackling over-crowding on peak services in Strathclyde, the contract between engineering firm Wabtec and train owners Eversholt Rail is for the introduction and upgrade of five additional Class 320 electric trains to further expand the ScotRail fleet.

It is the latest in a line of refurbishment contracts demonstrating Ministers’ continuing commitment to investment in the ScotRail fleet and increases the volume of work at the Kilmarnock site.

The scope of the £8m programme includes a full interior refresh in line with the ScotRail branding, as well as:

• complete internal refurbishment including repaint of all surfaces, new flooring, tables and new seat moquette
  • new fully accessible toilet
  • at-seat power sockets
  • 2 dedicated cycle spaces
  • energy efficient LED lighting
  • enhanced CCTV system for passenger safety and security
Humza Yousaf, Minister for Transport & the Islands, said:

“When the most overcrowded trains were made public earlier this year, this Scottish Government gave a strong commitment to tackle this issue.

“Good quality refurbishment will not only deliver better trains and more seats for ScotRail passengers, it will also provide more job security for this important employer in Kilmarnock.

“This is a great example of the way our efforts to build the best railway Scotland has ever had brings benefits to the job market, another being the fact that ScotRail is a Living Wage employer. The contract itself is well-deserved recognition of the Wabtec workforce’s excellent efforts on previous refurbishment programmes.”

Paul Bain, Wabtec Faiveley - Rail Scotland, Managing Director said:

“Since taking over the railway depot in 2011, Wabtec Faiveley - Rail Scotland have built a reputation for on time delivery of quality railway products, and invested over 1.5m in new equipment. Wabtec are committed to improving passenger on-board experience, train reliability.

"We would like to thank the Scottish Government and Eversholt Rail Group for recognising the achievements at our Kilmarnock depot".

ScotRail Alliance Engineering Director Angus Thom said:

“This is great news for our customers, allowing us to yet again increase the number of seats available on the Scottish network.

“It’s fantastic that the work is being carried out in Kilmarnock by Wabtec Rail Scotland. They have been one of our key suppliers over the years - delivering great products that our customers benefit from, and we look forward to continuing our strong relationship in the years to come.

“The refurbished trains will be brought up to the latest standard, which includes WiFi, new toilets and passenger communication systems.”

Mary Kenny, Chief Executive Officer, Eversholt Rail, said:

“We are delighted to be working in partnership with the Scottish Government and ScotRail to provide a further five Class 320 trains to help tackle over-crowding on peak services. The refurbishment programme demonstrates our commitment to Scotland and to delivering the best value and highest quality rolling stock to passengers across the country.”

Since 2007, 50% more carriages have been introduced to the ASR fleet and these latest trains to undergo upgrades will be part of an additional 200 carriages being added in the next 18 months.

The refurbishment of these 15 carriages is expected to start in November 2017 with a phased introduction from summer 2018 onwards across Strathclyde north and south electric services.

This will enable more six car trains with 206 extra seats per service on Balloch – Airdrie via Queen St (low level) and Glasgow Central to Neilston routes, ultimately providing more peak time capacity on services which featured on “top ten” list overcrowded trains earlier this year.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news...kilmarnock-rail-firm-and-scotrail-passengers/

I've highlighted the five additional class 320s part because I initially thought it was only 3 being converted; 321401, 403 & 404. At least the additional units have gone from being a rumour to being a fact with this.

cj_1985

A shame that the press release doesn't make clear just how much work is required to 'add' the additional 320s to the fleet. If I didn't know what I do know about the railways in the uk, i'd have thought that there were just a bunch of extra 320s having been sat about in storage for years.

On the plus side, at least the refurb/modification works are being carried out in Scotland, for scotland

Press release regarding additional 320/4s

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news...kilmarnock-rail-firm-and-scotrail-passengers/

I've highlighted the five additional class 320s part because I initially thought it was only 3 being converted; 321401, 403 & 404. At least the additional units have gone from being a rumour to being a fact with this.

321401/403/404 plus 321402/418 were noted as being on a short-term lease with AGA, so they could well be the other pair.

Established Member
321401/403/404 plus 321402/418 were noted as being on a short-term lease with AGA, so they could well be the other pair.
402 is definitely one, had 419 in my head for the other but could well be 418 as it's been a while. Off lease 31/12 to Scotrail as per plan - in theory enough "Bent" ones will be actually working by then to allow GA to fulfill diagrams.

ScottDarg

Unless they're renumbering them too then there'll be a fairly large gap in the 320/4 fleet numbering when these start to appear in service, which isn't a big deal unless you really want there to be some sort of continuity.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
It is great to see ScotRail and Transport Scotland taking full advantage of the late BR EMU glut now available. Those extra 5 EMUs might well be the key to marginal service improvements being implemented, e.g. extending some Cumbernauld terminators to Abronhill or even Falkirk; or adding a second Motherwell-Cumbernauld train extended to Stirling. It would be much harder to justify ordering new trains for a speculative service.

applepie2100

Alternatively they might just be the key to having enough serviceable units to run the services it already does. They might even manage to put enough carriages on the North Electrics to make people think they're not trying to rival the Indian Railways!

ScottDarg

Alternatively they might just be the key to having enough serviceable units to run the services it already does. They might even manage to put enough carriages on the North Electrics to make people think they're not trying to rival the Indian Railways!

Press release specifically mentions Airdrie - Balloch and Neilston so there's two suggestions for what services they're likely bolstering.

156 478 is owned by Brodie Engineering in Kilmarnock, who rebuilt it (they bought it from First Group, who bought from the insurers after it was written off due to flooding a few years ago) and is not getting the new seats or plug sockets. It is due to go off lease in 2019 - although this date may have changed due to fleet requirements.

ScottDarg

156 478 is owned by Brodie Engineering in Kilmarnock, who rebuilt it (they bought it from First Group, who bought from the insurers after it was written off due to flooding a few years ago) and is not getting the new seats or plug sockets. It is due to go off lease in 2019 - although this date may have changed due to fleet requirements.

Thanks for the info, I know the flooding incident you're referring to but didn't know it was 478 involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.