• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail New and Refurbished Stock update

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
One thing I have just noticed though from these two, is that it looks like the already rather tight seat spacing on these 158s has been narrowed further - both pictures are taken at the same point on each unit, but if you compare the top and bottom of the seats in each picture they do look closer together.

Oh my word. There wouldn't be enough space for me to get my knee between the seat and the table leg.

What did they do? Measure the former Transport Minister and the current First Minister then take an average of the two to find the height of a Scot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
Oh my word. There wouldn't be enough space for me to get my knee between the seat and the table leg.

What did they do? Measure the former Transport Minister and the current First Minister then take an average of the two to find the height of a Scot?

The spacing is now the same as the Inverness units. Going by the Haymarket units original layout, every second row of seats is aligned against a divider, so by shortening the leg room to the same as the Inverness lot, they are able to align more seats with windows (bit ironic as only table seats benefit, and even then there are still 2 bays which don't align) and get the space to add in a double luggage rack in the centre of one of the coaches as well as creating the space between rows of seats for additional luggage - not that it's advertised that way anyway.

Last edited:

Clansman

Established Member
You can get away with crap legroom with the grammar seats as they force you to sit upright anyway, but trying to do it with Chapman seating is just plain rediculous.

Established Member
I find those seats extremely tricky for leg and knee room as it is, so reducing space still further is a bit mad.

If the cushions are as collapsed as they were then it really will have been a botched job.

Carntyne

This is Abellio, Should we be surprised?

*Transport Scotland. They specify it and pay for it.

I was on one the other day and the seats aren't collapsed any more. I was expecting the other style of seats to be fitted though.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Apologies for bringing up an old thread but this one is the most relevant for this.

318268 arrived at Doncaster this evening for its overhaul and relivery, meaning that there are now no Class 318s in the Carmine and Cream livery in service.

Won't be too long before the livery is gone completely.
Seems I was right to go after the last three Carmine/Cream 318s when I did! Last saw 268 in service on 31st July at Yoker; suspected that it didn't have long left before it went south. Will miss that interior on them... :(

ScottDarg

Seems I was right to go after the last three Carmine/Cream 318s when I did! Last saw 268 in service on 31st July at Yoker; suspected that it didn't have long left before it went south. Will miss that interior on them... :(

I tried to get them all when there was still 4 left, shortly after 255 returned. Got all of them except 250 before they left.

NORMAN471

There are about 10 ex spt 156's that have been fully refurbished but are still waiting their new seats and sockets. Everything else has been done to the same standard as 510, the only finished one. From memory I think refurbished so far are 432,501,502,503,505,506,508,509,510,511.

Please could somebody explain why some of the refurbished Scotrail 156s from those listed here have English style numbers and some carry the Saltire type. Worthy of note was that Heaton unit 156484 carried Saltire type front end numbers for a short time this year but was recently reliveried in the new white Northern livery with English style cab end numbers once again. Northern 156475 had Saltire style numbers on the sides only when I observed it at Carlisle in September 2016.

Clansman

Established Member
Please could somebody explain why some of the refurbished Scotrail 156s from those listed here have English style numbers and some carry the Saltire type. Worthy of note was that Heaton unit 156484 carried Saltire type front end numbers for a short time this year but was recently reliveried in the new white Northern livery with English style cab end numbers once again. Northern 156475 had Saltire style numbers on the sides only when I observed it at Carlisle in September 2016.

What makes a number, English?

I assume you are talking about the type of fonts used for the unit numbers?

NORMAN471

Until the refurbishments of the Scotrail 156s has started to take place all Scotrail 156s had Saltire style and all the other non-Scotrail 156s being English ones therefore had English style numbers. Much easier than whatever the font is which isn't referred to generally as much as the Saltire style.

Established Member
I was on one the other day and the seats aren't collapsed any more. I was expecting the other style of seats to be fitted though.

Thank God for that. I suspected as much because I've been on a couple of the more wretched Haymarket units in the past few months and the bottom cushions seemed to have been replaced. Still old school National Express Scotrail purple upholstery (13 years after they lost the franchise) but obviously fresh alongside the rest of the grubby musty sweaty interior.

Clansman

Established Member
Not the most relevant in terms of the flow of the discussion, but does anyone think the new exterior door buttons on the refurbished 156s look less DDA compliant than the old ones?

On the non refurbished ones (and indeed most trains in the UK), the exterior door buttons sit within a yellow roundel, which is extended out a few centimetres. However, the ones used on the refurbished units are just the buttons themselves sitting on the metal panelling.

Just curious as to why this is, given how stringent the 2020 regulations are.

fgwrich

Established Member
Thank God for that. I suspected as much because I've been on a couple of the more wretched Haymarket units in the past few months and the bottom cushions seemed to have been replaced. Still old school National Express Scotrail purple upholstery (13 years after they lost the franchise) but obviously fresh alongside the rest of the grubby musty sweaty interior.

There seems to be an ongoing thing with TOCs replacing the collapsed Richmond seat bases, as a lot of the FGW units (153/158) has just had theirs replaced as well.

I know what you mean though, the sight of new NX material is rather odd considering its 15 years and a franchise and branding change later - although the oddest units in the Scotrail fleet still remain as that of the ex Wessex units in the Haymarket 8. Chapman Seats, Wessex Trains Carpet, Reggie Rail carpet, NX Scotrail moquette.

Although the more amusing feature I've noticed in the Haymarket sets is a small sticker applied by NX "This unit has been fitted with improved Air Conditioning for your comfort"...on a 158 whose air con clearly wasn't playing ball and had most of its windows open.

D2007wsm

Established Member
There seems to be an ongoing thing with TOCs replacing the collapsed Richmond seat bases, as a lot of the FGW units (153/158) has just had theirs replaced as well.

I know what you mean though, the sight of new NX material is rather odd considering its 15 years and a franchise and branding change later - although the oddest units in the Scotrail fleet still remain as that of the ex Wessex units in the Haymarket 8. Chapman Seats, Wessex Trains Carpet, Reggie Rail carpet, NX Scotrail moquette.

Although the more amusing feature I've noticed in the Haymarket sets is a small sticker applied by NX "This unit has been fitted with improved Air Conditioning for your comfort"...on a 158 whose air con clearly wasn't playing ball and had most of its windows open.

I travel on GWR 153s and 158s and don't have an issue with the Richmond Seats, I find them comfier than the Chapman seating. What baffles me is, when they made the hybrid 158s, why they didn't split the units so that there is an entire train of either Richmond or original BR seats rather than 2 coach's of 1 and 1 of the other.]

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member

I travel on GWR 153s and 158s and don't have an issue with the Richmond Seats, I find them comfier than the Chapman seating. What baffles me is, when they made the hybrid 158s, why they didn't split the units so that there is an entire train of either Richmond or original BR seats rather than 2 coach's of 1 and 1 of the other.]

I'm pretty sure that when the FGW refurbishment of the 158 fleet took place, the majority of the ex TPE 158s retained their original ex BR seating, while the ex Wessex units (which had a much heavier alternative in some units - the same as the Desiro FC / Early 377 type) had theirs replaced with the ex ScotRail Richmonds, then being freed up by the Inverness set refurbishments. The 153s had their very naff ex BR 158 seats replaced with the Richmonds as well.

I personally don't have much of a problem with the Richmonds, except for when the basis have collapsed. Unfortunately a common problem with those and the general lack of care and attention given to the Haymarket sets. Unfortunately I do feel that they've cheaped out badly on said refurbishment though.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotraildriver

Established Member
In theory the 156s should be quickly fitted with their seats? Or has summit else gone wrong?

The new seats are slightly higher than old ones and there have been comaints about tight legroom between leg and table. A solution to raise the tables is being worked on.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Controversially, after working 158731 today, I have to disagree with this forum as I think this is the best refurb yet. The seats have been repositioned and re padded, they are decidedly squishy and comfortable. The guard liked it too, No banging arms off the handles all the way through the coach. Everything else is the same as previous ones but this certainly aint bad!

Strathclyder

Established Member
I tried to get them all when there was still 4 left, shortly after 255 returned. Got all of them except 250 before they left.
Went after them all in early June when only three were left (250, 267 & 268); with 250 slipping through my fingers like it did with you lol. I managed to catch up with it a few weeks later; just before it left for Doncaster. It's always the same; paying no real attention & getting used to a livery when it's common, then specifically seeking it out as it becomes rarer & rarer. As is the tide of progress...

sd0733

Established Member
170470 is actually away at Kilmarnock for interior refresh at the moment, leaving 170471 retaining the SPT interior at the moment (but not for long). Meanwhile, 170420 is still in the first scotrail livery

Saw 170470 leaving Edinburgh this morning heading for Glenrothes its now fully saltaired inside.

Clansman

Established Member
Saw 170470 leaving Edinburgh this morning heading for Glenrothes its now fully saltaired inside.

And then there was one.

You'll all be happy to hear that the new "scenic" 158s are able to cope with excess luggage demands...

Attachments

• 20170819_115422.jpg
    20170819_115422.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20170819_115736.jpg
    20170819_115736.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Established Member
And then there was one.

You'll all be happy to hear that the new "scenic" 158s are able to cope with excess luggage demands...
What's wrong with you, it doesn't look like anything might fall out of a door at the next station? [emoji38]

The most recent bizarre experience I had (granted on a 170) was to open the doors from the outside to find a full size golf bag supported by its metal stand across the full width of the entrance. No problem, I picked it up, turned it round, stepped round it, and then returned it to its original position. I could of course have made a point of deliberately falling over it, suffering all sorts of sprains and bruising, and attempted a claim against Scotrail.

Established Member
Would have thought if Scotrail were going to have a mill based World Heritage Site themed interior they'd have picked New Lanark instead?
No, they're generous and inclusive with their upholstery and not as Titus you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.