• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail New and Refurbished Stock update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SC318250

Suspect it will be to work West Highland line for starters

Shotts will be going 385 in a few years

SC318250

Not sure but can remember if it is this December or next they are going on to WHL. Have a feeling it is this December

InOban

Established Member
There are minor gauging issues which NR Will rectify. One of their tasks in the next Period is to ensure that the whole Scotrail network is accessible to any BR-guage stock. (There have had to be last-minute mods to allow the Flying Scotsman.) I just wish that this included axle loads. My bit is restricted by its 20-ton limit.

D9009Spotter

I don't think the 707s would be the right fit exactly how it is (no toilets and only being 5 coaches for example), but I really do agree with you in a way, and think the Desiro City model is one in which would massively benefit the railway in and around Glasgow, to replace the 318/320/334s.

How about the 360s? Or even the 365s? They're both being made redundant by New Abellio stock and crossrail and the new 700s and 387s respectively.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Neither can be reformed into 6 cars readily to my knowledge, but with some underfloor refurbishment either could work.

mcmad

There are minor gauging issues which NR Will rectify. One of their tasks in the next Period is to ensure that the whole Scotrail network is accessible to any BR-guage stock.

Thats what the government have asked for, they might reconsider when the see the cost of such nonsense

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
There are minor gauging issues which NR Will rectify. One of their tasks in the next Period is to ensure that the whole Scotrail network is accessible to any BR-guage stock. (There have had to be last-minute mods to allow the Flying Scotsman.) I just wish that this included axle loads. My bit is restricted by its 20-ton limit.

Interesting . Wonder if they will via Dumfries to Carlisle or able to strengthen EK services ?

Interesting . Wonder if they will via Dumfries to Carlisle or able to strengthen EK services ?

158 is not cleared for passenger service on the EK route and wouldn't offer any real benefits to the route due to the relatively low line speed of 50mph. Likewise on the GSW there wouldn't be much benefit of using a 158 as capacity wise there is not much difference. More 156 units will be made available for EK and GSW services when the 158 takes over the WHL services in 2018. Borders services will also be strengthened by additional 158s when HST comes.

Clansman

Established Member
How about the 360s? Or even the 365s? They're both being made redundant by New Abellio stock and crossrail and the new 700s and 387s respectively.

Both are better suited to medium distance services in my opinion, whereas trains going into Greater Glasgow would need to be suited to metro style to medium distance services.

In which case a Desiro City model but with half tables and fold aways on seat backs would do the job perfectly - ie be able to handle more passengers, better suited to the routes, and would last much much longer than the 365s and 360s. Capacity is hindered on trains like the Networkers, Junipers and original Desiros due to how the gangways, seating layouts, and the vestibules are set out.

Last edited:

433N

Borders services will also be strengthened by additional 158s when HST comes.

It is still irksome that a 170 got the special livery and the whole service became 158 when the world stopped looking...although they did put on 170s when the Flying Scotsman went down and the world was looking again. :roll:

Anyway on the subject of refurbishments, I traveled on newly-refurbished 156506 and retro-stylee shabby-chic 156457 on the Shotts line yesterday. Bit of a difference there ! ... enough for at least a two page 'Compare and Contrast' essay. :D

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Seen recently over the last couple of weeks that some of the refurbed 170s and 318s have a sign in the cab with a big 'X' on it and 'Multi Unit Restriction'

What exactly does this mean?

170420 went to Kilmarnock a few days ago for repaint/refurbish etc thus ending the first scotrail livery on the 170s. Also, all 170s are now refurbished/repainted.

318258 went south last week to Doncaster for unknown reasons.

Last edited:

Altnabreac

Established Member
So non Saltire liveries I now reckon there are:

17 x 156s in (debranded) First Scotrail livery
14 x 158s in (debranded) First Scotrail livery
1 x 170 in BTP livery
4 x 170 in plain blue livery (these being 4 of the 5 subleased from Southern)
12 x 314s in ex SPT livery

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Im still anoyed the haymarket batch have not had new seats, smacks of cheepness which given the news of financial struggles makes sense but doesnt get away from the fact that some of this is turd pollishing. I assume the slice the table out, weld a new bit of leg on, refit and install mew seats still hasnt occured to the people responsible for the 156s yet?

ScottDarg

Last edited:

So non Saltire liveries I now reckon there are:

17 x 156s in (debranded) First Scotrail livery
14 x 158s in (debranded) First Scotrail livery
1 x 170 in BTP livery
4 x 170 in plain blue livery (these being 4 of the 5 subleased from Southern)
12 x 314s in ex SPT livery

I make it 16 156s - all those between 446-465 (10 units), plus 474/77/78/85/93/96, with 467 having been the last done.

158s down to 13 now with 158740 being done now.

ScottDarg

Looking around on Wikipedia and only just saw this on the page for the Class 320:

Three further Class 321 units, 321401/3/4 were later converted to Class 320/4 specification upon release from Govia Thameslink Railway in October 2017.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_320#Class_320.2F4_Units)

Are these in the process of being done? Assuming the quote is correct and those units have been released.

Again assuming the quote is correct, I assume the refurbs for the original 320s will begin when these 3 are in service, or when the 318 refurb programme is totally finished.

SC318250

Looking around on Wikipedia and only just saw this on the page for the Class 320:

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_320#Class_320.2F4_Units)

Are these in the process of being done? Assuming the quote is correct and those units have been released.

Again assuming the quote is correct, I assume the refurbs for the original 320s will begin when these 3 are in service, or when the 318 refurb programme is totally finished.

Last I heard there is still one of yhe additional 3 still at Leicester. One of the 3 was still a 321 parked in yard at Wabtec and no idea on the other.
There has been no official word from Scotrail on these 3, so it may not happen

Status
Not open for further replies.