• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Hi

Some may know this but what I didn't realise was the 170s are currently being internally refurbished in addition to a new livery. Any internal pics?

Regarding 320s... what is the progress here? They are being re-liveried and refurbished? Didn't the first unit return without a new livery and little internal work?

Looking forward to the Juniper program in the new year

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eng274

Hi

Some may know this but what I didn't realise was the 170s are currently being internally refurbished in addition to a new livery. Any internal pics?

Regarding 320s... what is the progress here? They are being re-liveried and refurbished? Didn't the first unit return without a new livery and little internal work?

The 170s are undergoing a refurbishment and repaint at the moment. One of the SPT liveried ones has the new TS coloured interior, and I'm not sure if any units other than 434 have been repainted.

The 320s are being overhauled at wabtec, and several are now back in service sporting the new livery. 314s are also being internally refreshed, not sure how many are finished, but a fair few have been done.

We've got 5 class 320s finished and a sixth due back in January.

Externally, the've been fully repainted and it actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. There's new door controls, and the 'Open' button has been moved from the bottom to the top. There's a loud buzzer that emits one loud, 5-second beep when the doors open and the usual short beeps when the door closes. The floor in the vestibules has been replaced, and is now Transport Scotland grey. The rest of the floor still has the dark green and light green speckles. There's also a floor-level light next to the door. It's only on one side (unlike the 334's spotlights). It uses a few LEDs and a lens in front to spread light all along the step at the doors.

The seats have not been re-liveried, they're still in the SPT green bracket/leaf/blossom motif. However, a few tip-up seats have been fitted near the toilet to make a new wheelchair-accessible area. These are the same as the tip-up seats on the 380 and have a table that pulls up and out. They're in the new ScotRail blue fabric.

A disabled-accessible toilet has been fitted to one of the end carriages It's extremely wide: much wider than the accessible toilets on the 334, 380 and 170 units. Unusually, there are seats opposite the toilet, but they've taken them down to single seats rather than double. This leaves the aisle by the toilet very narrow.

The central lighting gondola ends next to the toilet (did I mention it's really, REALLY wide?)! The ceiling in this area has half a dozen LED spotlights that curve round the toilet, and a few extra above the seats.

The class 320s had murals of areas around Glasgow on the end of the carriage walls. With the fitting of the toilet, the mural that was behind the toilet has been moved to the toilet's outside wall, next to the tip-up seats.

MCR247

Established Member
The 170s are undergoing a refurbishment and repaint at the moment. One of the SPT liveried ones has the new TS coloured interior, and I'm not sure if any units other than 434 have been repainted.

The 320s are being overhauled at wabtec, and several are now back in service sporting the new livery. 314s are also being internally refreshed, not sure how many are finished, but a fair few have been done.

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/photo/scaled/10641/

Not my photo

170434 was just vinyled at the launch time, but original SPT liveried 170470/471 have both now been painted along with 170425. 170456/457 have received an interior refurb with TS seating moquette, etc, but I don't think they have been repainted. 425 was expected to be next for the internal refurb, whilst I'm unsure if 470/471 have been treated internally.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Hi

I have some but i dunno how to upload them. :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

alexf380

Established Member
Regarding the class 314 refurb programme, 314212/215/207/213/203/205/214 have been done but only 314212/203 have been repainted and only 204/208/211 will be repainted because they are in the old SPT livery

mralexn

Any more new pics cropped up?
I have some of the Caledonian sleeper, they have used the same pattern on the seats on that, as these ones have. Looks quite smart actually :D

12CSVT

Established Member
170434 was just vinyled at the launch time, but original SPT liveried 170470/471 have both now been painted along with 170425. 170456/457 have received an interior refurb with TS seating moquette, etc, but I don't think they have been repainted. 425 was expected to be next for the internal refurb, whilst I'm unsure if 470/471 have been treated internally.

170425 is currently disbanded with 50425 part of unit 170453

sprinterguy

Established Member
Any more new pics cropped up?
I have some of the Caledonian sleeper, they have used the same pattern on the seats on that, as these ones have. Looks quite smart actually :D
I wish they'd apply the external livery to the sleeper stock as well, I like the Saltire scheme. I was extremely disappointed when the excellent purple NatEx Caley Sleeper livery was ousted by corporate "barbie bus", it doesn't sit well IMO. Though I can understand that it must be a very, very low priority for Scotrail.

I was on a refurbished 170 (13:35 EDB - INV) Turbostar and it was pleasant. The new livery looks good up close and the new seats are smarter and not as tatty. They are still as soft as the old ones and a bit more comfortable now they don't have the leather headrest to freeze your noggin.

Theres about 5 of them in service now. They look much cleaner inside. Good little refresh by ScotRail. The early 170s are not being done judging by the figures SR are quoting of 33. Hopefully that may change come next year. They are badly in need of attention, as are the Haymarket 158s that weren't refurbished.

pemma

Veteran Member
The early 170s are not being done judging by the figures SR are quoting of 33. Hopefully that may change come next year. They are badly in need of attention, as are the Haymarket 158s that weren't refurbished.

Scotrail will likely release some DMUs once Glasgow-Edinburgh goes over to EMUs so the non-refurbished units are possible candidates for being released.

Theres about 5 of them in service now. They look much cleaner inside. Good little refresh by ScotRail. The early 170s are not being done judging by the figures SR are quoting of 33. Hopefully that may change come next year. They are badly in need of attention, as are the Haymarket 158s that weren't refurbished.

425-429 done, I was on 428 & 429 last week and agree that they are much tidier. 401-424 from the first batches have already (perhaps not that notable!) had a small refresh a while ago, hence not included and perhaps not the original SPT pair (470/471, despite them being repainted recently). This would leave 425-434, 450-461, 472-478 and 393-396 to give 33 units. 456/457 are the extra FC ones, along with 450-455 done some years ago.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
wel hope they add some padding to seats too as the older units in particular are pritty bad now and as for the Haymarket 158s, wel I avoid them and was horrified when one turned up on an INV - EDB Working last week.

387star

On Moderation
That class 334 in the works has now been delayed by almost a month anyone know why?

alexf380

Established Member
Does anyone know if/ when the Barbie 156's will be reliveried? I believe some visited Springburn recently but i don't know what that was for.

Alex.

158s are going to get repainted into the saltire livery early 2013
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
334020 is going to be released next Friday while 170430 and 314205(I think) are both getting released this weekend

it was the only 320 i did,nt see after 4 days in scotland in the middle of march then when i received rail express today it stated that it arrived at wabtec around the same time , never mind :( thanks for the info

317 forever

Established Member
When I go to Edinburgh for the weekend in May, I shall ride the electrified service to Bathgate (I did Bathgate from the west last year) and a train to my hotel near Polmont. I hope to ride a refurbished train then, although it seems touch and go whether the first train is refurbished.

Eng274

The seats are probably fitted with a slightly stiffer padding to give better longevity before sagging through heavy use.

Status
Not open for further replies.