• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

scot80

Its been a mixture of no news is good news and worry that I haven't had an email, however going by this everyone is in the same boat.
I think i done ok on the second assessment which was challenging but reading earlier posts from another recruitment campaign they seemed to know straight away if they passed. I have been told yes or no maybe its taking longer due to them reopening the vacancy, i dunno.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pendy12

I think i done ok on the second assessment which was challenging but reading earlier posts from another recruitment campaign they seemed to know straight away if they passed. I have been told yes or no maybe its taking longer due to them reopening the vacancy, i dunno.

Im the same I though I did pretty well in the assessments. Im a complete outsider in this, I have no previous rail experience but it has always been something ive been interested in. I would say that sort of assessment isn't my strong point though so I'd be over the moon with a yes. Best of luck to you mate.

scot80

Im the same I though I did pretty well in the assessments. Im a complete outsider in this, I have no previous rail experience but it has always been something ive been interested in. I would say that sort of assessment isn't my strong point though so I'd be over the moon with a yes. Best of luck to you mate.

Im the same mate, good luck to you as well
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone used the material from the website "how to become.com" recently? Theres obviously out of date stuff still being sold on the net,if this has been asked sorry but couldn't find anything mentioning it...thanks

Last edited:

ma3lstrom

The franchise process is currently in a period of "due diligence" which means that everything is being checked over to ensure the franchise is handed over in a fit and proper state. This is why there are trainee drivers again as the company must be fully staffed at handover, even if this means people in training. Scotrail lost 16 drivers last year to freight companies, as well as a high number of retirements, so they must be replaced for the handover. So don't worry it has all been agreed. Once you have a job you are contracted to the current operator of the franchise, with guaranteed TUPE should it change during your employment. So everyone is safe, at least at operational level.

Thanks for clearing that up, can see why they're advertising for so many depots now.

Donshy

Has anybody else applied for the most recent vacancies advertised?
Hi hardie I've did both online tests was told to keep eye on emails that was 2 weeks ago I spoke on phone not sure what's going on
Can anyone shed some light what tests you actually do on the assessment day thanks

mynameisjeff

Hi guys, this is my first post to the forum. I think this is the thread for First Group vacancies in Scotland right? Email also says scot rail.

I'm a bit new to this, I was researching what careers I could maybe change to last night, saw @ https://uk.firstgroupcareers.com/vacancy/find/results/map/

that they were advertising for trainee drivers in 4 depots scotland and the closing date was today the 29th dec. So I submitted an application straight away and did 2 assessments online. I'm not sure if the first one saved or not because I got 3 different complete times. But I got an email to do the second "verify checking" assessment online as well after about 15 minutes.

I thought the checking thing was quite difficult and got at least 1 incorrect because i failed to click in time. I submitted my application and did the tests before 7pm today and atm @ 10pm no further emails. I assume at midnight, the website will tick over and close applications.

Maybe

Hi mynameisjeff, the next stage is now to wait to hear back from HR. Not 100% on hat process they know use to sift through applications, however if you have been successful they will contact you to arrange a phone interview.

Keep checking your emails, as this is how they will notify you and ask you to book a slot.

I imagine nothing will be heard till after the new year now, but I could be wrong.

Best of luck with your application

Donshy

Hi maybe do you know if there is a deadline from doing the 2online assessment to phone interview I phoned on the 16 th December to be told I had passed them and to wait for phone interview but not heard anything

Hardie12

Not sure about a deadline but I don't think so. Which number did you contact them on to find this out?

Donshy

Hi hardie thanks for replying I contacted number on first scotrails site guy says he's getting someone to contact me on Friday regarding it confusing eh ha

Hardie12

As far as I know I may be in the same position as yourself having not heard anything yet, thought it was just taking longer than expected

mynameisjeff

when was your application deadline though? cos it appears there's been several waves.

i applied for the ones closing 29th december.

Hardie12

Mines was a couple of weeks ago now, have you heard back about telephone interview yet?

Donshy

Mines was a couple of weeks ago now, have you heard back about telephone interview yet?

How u doing someone's contacting me on Friday regarding it was it couple weeks ago u did your telephone interview ?
It was glasgow Central I applied for

Hardie12

I've not done the telephone interview yet, submitted my application on the 11th dec though

Hardie12

yes but when was the deadline. that way, we'll know if we're in the same batch

The vacancy I appled for closed the 12th as far as I can recall. They have opened and closed this post a number of times now. I'm thinking now I'll ring them tomorrow. If you only applied 29th then i wouldn't worry they will be in touch either way

mynameisjeff

The vacancy I appled for closed the 12th as far as I can recall. They have opened and closed this post a number of times now. I'm thinking now I'll ring them tomorrow. If you only applied 29th then i wouldn't worry they will be in touch either way

wow that's odd opening and closing it several times in one month! but yeah, i applied on the 29th and it closed at midnight 29th.

Donshy

Hi hardie I was same as you I've been told to keep checking emails for telephone interview did you apply for glasgow central

Hardie12

I've been checking emails like mad the past couple of weeks. It will glasgow central or yoker for me. Any word?

Donshy

I've been checking emails like mad the past couple of weeks. It will glasgow central or yoker for me. Any word?

Hi hardie I phoned again as was told to on Friday past been told things are on hold and if not heard by this Friday ive to phone again don't understand if was told on the 16 th dec to keep eye on emails for telephone interview

Maybe

Good luck speaking to them, get more sense out of a bag of onions.

The HR procedure is painstakingly slow, I myself have been stuck in Firsts recruitment process for over a year n half now, and everything has been slow.

I hope your experiences are different to mine however one thing I would say is just wait for the email. It is a waste of time phoning that HR dept as they contradict themselves every single time

Johncleesefan

Agreed. I'm getting it in the neck from my other half to call all the time fir updates but know full well I wont get any info from doing so. It's a very slow process and u just gotta hang in there

Donshy

Good luck speaking to them, get more sense out of a bag of onions.

The HR procedure is painstakingly slow, I myself have been stuck in Firsts recruitment process for over a year n half now, and everything has been slow.

I hope your experiences are different to mine however one thing I would say is just wait for the email. It is a waste of time phoning that HR dept as they contradict themselves every single time

Thanks for that maybe defo confusing eh
Agreed. I'm getting it in the neck from my other half to call all the time fir updates but know full well I wont get any info from doing so. It's a very slow process and u just gotta hang in there

Thanks for that I'm same to be honest would rather just get on with it stage by stage if I pass I pass if not move on where have you applied to

Ryandfs

Has anyone else had a phone interview yet? I had one on the 18th of December. Woman on the phone seemed quite rude, cutting in all the time so you don't really get a chance to maximise the opportunity. She said 4 weeks and to keep checking emails.

Donshy

Has anyone else had a phone interview yet? I had one on the 18th of December. Woman on the phone seemed quite rude, cutting in all the time so you don't really get a chance to maximise the opportunity. She said 4 weeks and to keep checking emails.

Hi doesn't sound good mate how long did it last for what where you asked etc

Ryandfs

Hi doesn't sound good mate how long did it last for what where you asked etc

Lasted around 15 minutes. Questions were like give an example of a time when you gave excellent customer service, your understanding of the role etc.
It felt like I was answering pre recorded questions, didn't feel personal whatsoever. But hopefully it'll be good news, fingers crossed!

Hardie12

As far as I know these telephone interviews are carried out by an independent company to prevent nepotism. This is possibly why it seems kind of generic. I am still awaiting word back. When did you apply Ryan? Hopefully you hear back soon. Not sure exactly what they are doing at the moment

Johncleesefan

I have had a few telephone interviews now and they're always kind of the same. The interviewer has always been very quick and pushy to get the answers out of u. So I wouldn't give up just yet. They have to be quick