• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

scottg17

Arrived in Glasgow tonight! looking forward to the big day tomorrow, look forward to meeting some of you there, Best of luck to all of you's sitting assessments :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ccantlie

How did you all find your assessment day? Was it as you expected? I've got an interview with Northern rail next week. Excited but apprehensive as what they'll ask me.

scottg17

Assessment was tough in a few bits! Some of it I found easier though, had a call from scotrail today but missed the call cause I was at work, I'll probably have to wait till Monday now to find my fate! Got a number to call the lass directly but it was firing onto her voicemail! Total suspense now, be it a pass for fail I hate not knowing :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Phone call this morning! I passed :D MMI next then stage 2 assessment following on from that if I'm successful!

Ryandfs

Assessment was tough in a few bits! Some of it I found easier though, had a call from scotrail today but missed the call cause I was at work, I'll probably have to wait till Monday now to find my fate! Got a number to call the lass directly but it was firing onto her voicemail! Total suspense now, be it a pass for fail I hate not knowing :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Phone call this morning! I passed :D MMI next then stage 2 assessment following on from that if I'm successful!

Well done mate. What's the MMI? And more assessments too! I've got my assessment on Thursday. Getting nervous now.

scottg17

Well done mate. What's the MMI? And more assessments too! I've got my assessment on Thursday. Getting nervous now.

Sorry meant DMI (driver manager interview) then it's the stage 2 assessments, my assessment I just had was...

Group bourdon test
TRP (rules/gauges)
TEA-Occ

It's pretty much everything in the first booklet of the training materials they would have sent you (book with GBT in it), the assessors were great, make you feel at ease and easy to have a good laugh with which helped me with my nerves, other candidates were a great laugh as well, go in with a clear head and you'll do fine mate, you'll be there around 2.5 hours or so with a 10min tea/smoke break half way through

Last edited:

PaulWat

Attended my assessment day today and got the phonecall a few hours after i left the building to say id passed. Delighted!:D Waiting for details on the final interview stage to be held in yoker. For those that are still to sit this stage and also who are still waiting on feedback, best of luck to you all!

scotraildriver

Established Member
Abellio have officially committed to another 62 trainee drivers when they take over. Keep checking on April 1st!

qpsnapper

Yes, another 62 after the franchise change. They announced it at a meeting on the 10th.
What about the six month rule? I didn't get anywhere with the December vacancies at Glasgow Central, is the six month wait before you can apply again just a First rule or a general railways rule?

Saltire

What about the six month rule? I didn't get anywhere with the December vacancies at Glasgow Central, is the six month wait before you can apply again just a First rule or a general railways rule?

Did you attend an assessment centre? Or didn't you get past the online assessment? My understanding is that the 6 month rule only applies to the assessment centre where you do stage 1 & 2 psychometric tests.
The online SJT is purely a tool First Group use as an initial sift of applications.
I hope that's accurate information and good luck for when the time comes.

qpsnapper

Did you attend an assessment centre? Or didn't you get past the online assessment? My understanding is that the 6 month rule only applies to the assessment centre where you do stage 1 & 2 psychometric tests.
The online SJT is purely a tool First Group use as an initial sift of applications.
I hope that's accurate information and good luck for when the time comes.
Thanks, did the online assessment but didn't get any further unfortunately, will try again when the new franchise advertises.

Richy3556

Hi guys,
Just joined the forum, I passed the first assessment day a couple of weeks ago and just waiting for a date for my managers interview. Has anyone got a date yet for their interview?

Darrenmtb

I would like to say thank you to Scotraildriver, you have been invaluable throughout this forum, providing useful information and giving those of us that passed our interviews last summer some glimmer of hope. I know there are several of us whom still keep an eye on this forum, with the hope of one day getting the email calling us forward for our medical.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Thanks! As someone who spent a long time getting into the job that is appreciated. Anyone who has passed the tests I would advise to call recruitment now and again , just to remind them of you. Don't annoy them but remember, they are going through a period of franchise change like the rest of us, and a gentle reminder that u are sti there won't do u you any harm at all......

scottg17

Hi guys,
Just joined the forum, I passed the first assessment day a couple of weeks ago and just waiting for a date for my managers interview. Has anyone got a date yet for their interview?

Same here mate, did my assessment on the 29th Jan, got a call the next day saying I'd passed, lass Sandra that called me said it'll be a good few weeks, waiting game I suppose :)

Richy3556

Just got a date through for my interview, 12th March at the Yoker depot. I thought I would be doing it at Bathgate as thats where I've been told I would be heading if I'm successful.

PaulWat

Originally the glasgow post which was first advertised but i understand there is positions at bathgate, motherwell, airdrie and central now. Im happy with any if successfull :) what about yourself?

Richy3556

Applied for Glasgow and Bathgate, when I got the phone call to say I had passed the assessment day I was told I was being put forward for Bathgate which is a bit closer to me so quite happy with that.

Bobby Carlos

Hi, does anyone know what is happening to the drivers on the standby list at the moment? Is it a further interview or are we getting put onto a course? Has anyone spoke to hr lately?

Saltire

As promised the first of the new jobs are now online - at FIRSTGROUP site. Your initial application is there but will be transferred to Abellio when they start. Various locations including, bizarrely, Edinburgh Park. A typo I'm sure!

https://uk.firstgroupcareers.com/vacancy/find/results/

Bloody frustrating that even though the jobs are with Abellio you can't apply via the First site if you've been unsuccessful on the sift (not psychometrics) within the last 6 months :(:(:(:(

Jamieson

It's a shame that you can't apply to jobs at different stations. I made an arse of the second part of the application for Glasgow etc. by rushing it. We still have to wait the 6 month period before submitting any other station applications.
Fingers crossed Abellio will do another recruitment drive!
Good luck to all who made it.

Brad

Hi all,

Just came across this thread and read all 38 pages. Phew.

I applied for the trainee driver's job last Thursday and sat the two online assessments. I think I did a lot better with the second one than I did with the practices but haven't heard anything back. I'm guessing if I'd failed it I'd have had a rejection by now?

Any idea if the plan is to completely finish the recruitment prior to the franchise handover or not?

Cheers.

Richy3556

I doubt it will be before the changeover, I'm just at the interview stage and I started my application back in December when the last batch of vacancies was advertised.

ScotrailINV

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but wanted to pick peoples brains to see if they can shed any light...

I've just applied for the trainee driver position with SR based in Inverness and have a question about the Disclosure Scotland checks and how seriously 'minor' records on it could affect your application?

I had allegations of assault made by an ex partner last year (I was actually out of the country at the time!) and it is going to trial at the end of this month. My solicitor has advised me after discussions with the Procurator Fiscal that the case is not being proceeded but has to go to trial for it to be thrown out due to the procedures. Does anyone have any idea if the arrest for this would show up on a disclosure and scupper my chances?

I was honest in the application form and put the full details of what has happened etc. I'll give it a day or two after submitting the application and contact First HR directly to get their views, but just wondered if anyone here could shed any light so I don't get my hopes too high!

Cheers,