• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Donhamer

Abellio/Scotrail recently advertised trainee driver positions for Dumfries closing date 3rd July. Anyone apply for those? Anyone heard back?

I applied for trainee driver position at Dumfries 2 years ago and passed assessment (psychometrics, trainability etc) and was told I'd be put forward for interview before the position was withdrawn.

I've applied again and received the email confirming my application but nothing else, does anyone know if results from 2 years ago still stand?

I didn't do any online assessments or telephone interview last time around so this is perhaps a new thing?

Thanks.

Donachie

Abellio/Scotrail recently advertised trainee driver positions for Dumfries closing date 3rd July. Anyone apply for those? Anyone heard back?

I applied for trainee driver position at Dumfries 2 years ago and passed assessment (psychometrics, trainability etc) and was told I'd be put forward for interview before the position was withdrawn.

I've applied again and received the email confirming my application but nothing else, does anyone know if results from 2 years ago still stand?

I didn't do any online assessments or telephone interview last time around so this is perhaps a new thing?

Thanks.

Was it the new style Drivers Psychometric Test you sat Donhamer, ?

If so, I think your pass will be considered in this application. If not, you possibly may have to re sit.

Donhamer

Not sure Donachie, we did the Mechanical Comprehension followed by the Group Bourdon then a short break and the Trainability part. Trainability was listening to the tape (about Gloop!) then answering multiple choice. Cheers.

PaulWat

Hi guys,

I failed at last managers interview stage purely down to not preparing enough for it. Anybody know where the new driver positions are for? also can i re apply and would i need to sit the assessment days again after already completing them?

Thanks

MM81

Wee update on my progress, got a call today to say i was successful at interview, i will be going for assessment in august.

MM81

Passed all the assessments, just waiting to hear back now on mmi, fingers crossed lol.

Ponderosa

Hello everyone. I'm new at this forum. Just recently moved to Scotland's central belt from Germany where I was working as a qualified train driver. I would like to work as such here and was wondering if anyone could possibly give me ScotRail/ Abellio contact to hand in my CV. cheers pr

MM81

Just received an email saying I have passed and my application is on hold. Hopefully something comes up in the near future.

Xlztt

Just received an email saying I have passed and my application is on hold. Hopefully something comes up in the near future.

Well done MM81. Did you sit all your assessments, computer test then MMI in one day?

What did the computer test consist of?

Xlztt

Last edited:

MM81

Well done MM81. Did you sit all your assessments, computer test then MMI in one day?

What did the computer test consist of?

Xlztt

cheers m8. Yes sat all the tests in one day, done 3 computer tests. First one was the concentration one with the grey box, then the perception with the pictures then the 2 handed joystick test. Also sat the mmi at the end.

Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
138 new driver jobs officially announced yesterday. Internally advertised at the moment, look out for external trainees in the next couple of weeks. All locations.

Saltire

138 new driver jobs officially announced yesterday. Internally advertised at the moment, look out for external trainees in the next couple of weeks. All locations.

Thanks for the heads up Scotraildriver, I'll (and hundreds like me) will be keeping an even closer eye on the website.

Ponderosa

Aye, thanks SRD ... any hints where those will most likely be advertised for externals!?

Saltire

Aye, thanks SRD ... any hints where those will most likely be advertised for externals!?

I'd expect these opportunities to be advertised on the Abellio Scotrail Careers page on the website. You can register for alerts to be emailed to you when vacancies arise

theironroad

Established Member

Cheers for the heads up.

Don't suppose you've an idea how these vacancies are broken down depot wise?

scotraildriver

Established Member
The vacancy list doesn't specify numbers. I expect the trainees will be for the main depots as the rural depot vacancies (Mallaig, Fort William, Oban) are to be filled with qualified drivers, as these posts need filled urgently and cannot wait a year for a trainee to be passed out. Expect Central, Queen St, Edinburgh, Stirling Perth, Aberdeen, Corkerhill, Ayr etc etc.

Bodiddly

The vacancy list doesn't specify numbers. I expect the trainees will be for the main depots as the rural depot vacancies (Mallaig, Fort William, Oban) are to be filled with qualified drivers, as these posts need filled urgently and cannot wait a year for a trainee to be passed out. Expect Central, Queen St, Edinburgh, Stirling Perth, Aberdeen, Corkerhill, Ayr etc etc.

We've been told they are 'accepting all internal applications' (basically been told to apply) for driver's jobs as they want to trim the engineering numbers down and see it as the perfect way not to swell the yearly running costs by a few million.
Can't see many of us taking it up though, the last thing the fitters want to be is a driver. If they fill the posts from on train staff, that will leave a big recruitment push for guards and conductors that could be filled by station grades and so on.
It's looking likely a lot of trainee driver posts will go external at some point.

387star

On Moderation
Wow fort william or mallaig as a driver can't be bad

So do they except applications from people living in the south of england relocating

theironroad

Established Member
Wow fort william or mallaig as a driver can't be bad

So do they except applications from people living in the south of england relocating

In terms of scenery of the routes, then can't be bettered in many ways.

However, while beautiful, I think both depots have limited route knowledge. Probably suits some, but not sure if either depot goes any further south than crianlarich.

387star

On Moderation
In terms of scenery of the routes, then can't be bettered in many ways.

However, while beautiful, I think both depots have limited route knowledge. Probably suits some, but not sure if either depot goes any further south than crianlarich.

You could buy a mansion there on drivers money shame about the midges though haha love that area

theironroad

Established Member
You could buy a mansion there on drivers money shame about the midges though haha love that area

Think you might be surprised about some of the property prices on the west coast and western isles, they often aren't cheap, hence why many locals move away.

Jydo

Do Abellio still use the same recruitment process that First did? Submit application, 2 online tests, phone interview, part 1 of assessment centre etc etc etc etc.....