• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edbhoy

Look, be as blunt as you want, mate. This is what I was told from Sandra Cahill who's head of HR at Scotrail. We were the first batch to apply for the new driver roles in june/july we were told at the first round of test (at which there were about 30 men/women) "This is it Out of 2800 applicants' who applied, we were it. Three months later there were three of us left in late August 2015. We were told we'd go into the reserve pool if we passed (which the three of us did) this didn't happen. We are now also banned from applying for ANY job with Scotrail for six months', only reason give was that this was in-line with HR policy. We Were tge ONLY three external applicants left, two Police Officers' and a gentleman who worked for Royal Mail. This isn't a case of sour grapes' I'm merely letting everyone who's interested in these roles' know how they may be treated. So don't tell me I'm talking nonsense...

Mate you are talking nonsense because I was employed as a trainee driver as an external applicant in June this year. In your first quote you said :

Unless you work at Scotrail or are a Conductor/Driver, I wouldn't bother. External candidates' are taken through tge process but not considered...

So that is rubbish as if they felt you were good enough you would have got the job. It doesn't matter if you passed everything you said you were the last 3 applicants from over 2800 if they were employing drivers and you were deemed suitable you would have got the job. Scotrail take on more external drivers than internal and that is a fact. Anyone who is applying if they get to the final stages pass everything and are stronger than any other candidate they will get the job regardless if they are external or not.

WCMLaddict

Of course it rubbish...

How did it happen that Sandra was in touch? Was it because you used the magical "can I speak to your manager?" line when told that you won't be put into the pool?

scotraildriver

Established Member
There are many smallish reasons people are dropped after seemingly passing everything. Do you live within 40 minutes drive of a location which is recruiting? Do you have a car? Maybe others have more relevant experience. There will be a good reason. They don't go to the expense of testing and interview for nothing. Also to clarify Sandra is not head of HR she is head of recruitment so may not have been her decision.

Donachie

There appears something strange about these trainee jobs in Dumfries as I have heard some internals, were also unsuccessful .
If true ,I think it could be that the jobs were filled by qualified transferee's or even the jobs themselves, were transferred to Ayr depot who cover G&SW turns already and are now looking for trainee's. ??

I would have like to applied for Ayr, I can also provide an address to live within 45 mins.

Instead , this 6 month before we can re apply, after passing all tests and manager interview, seems a new rule introduced by Albellio HR ??

All I will say now is good luck to all applicants who apply. You will have to spends lots of time preparing for tests and interviews . It may be worth it in the end but be prepared for major disappointment as well.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
There appears something strange about these trainee jobs in Dumfries as I have heard some internals, were also unsuccessful .
If true ,I think it could be that the jobs were filled by qualified transferee's or even the jobs themselves, were transferred to Ayr depot who cover G&SW turns already and are now looking for trainee's. ??

I would have like to applied for Ayr, I can also provide an address to live within 45 mins.

Instead , this 6 month before we can re apply, after passing all tests and manager interview, seems a new rule introduced by Albellio HR ??

All I will say now is good luck to all applicants who apply. You will have to spends lots of time preparing for tests and interviews . It may be worth it in the end but be prepared for major disappointment as well.

Yeah I was thinking they may have made an error or things may have suddenly changed but agree not being able to apply for six months seems a strange ine if you passed everything it is not like they are directly saying you didn't meet an enhanced standard oike some tocs do on the tests

There are a lot of freightliner guys looking for work that way too aren't there?

Jydo

Look, be as blunt as you want, mate. This is what I was told from Sandra Cahill who's head of HR at Scotrail. We were the first batch to apply for the new driver roles in june/july we were told at the first round of test (at which there were about 30 men/women) "This is it Out of 2800 applicants' who applied, we were it. Three months later there were three of us left in late August 2015. We were told we'd go into the reserve pool if we passed (which the three of us did) this didn't happen. We are now also banned from applying for ANY job with Scotrail for six months', only reason give was that this was in-line with HR policy. We Were tge ONLY three external applicants left, two Police Officers' and a gentleman who worked for Royal Mail. This isn't a case of sour grapes' I'm merely letting everyone who's interested in these roles' know how they may be treated. So don't tell me I'm talking nonsense...

Out of the 2000+ odd applications you werent the only 3 to make it thru to the final stages. There were others, who were there on a different day. Thats all.

Jydo

I know a guy who applied a few months ago (like you did) and got to the final stages (like you did) but there were 5 candidates at his final assessment. Thats all Im saying. Do yourself a favour mate and stop acting like a bellend. Come here for advice, help & answers........throwing your toys out the pram at folk doesnt help......

paepo

You know what, go f**k yourself, believe what you will.

Now that's not very nice is it?

On a different note, I heard that the Dumfries jobs went to qualified drivers. It's what I've been told but I don't know where they transferred from or if they came from a TOC or FOC. I imagine some of the new positions and other previous positions would also be filled by qualified drivers and it makes sense as a business to hire people qualified to do the job if they are available.
I know of internals that have tried for 8 years, some passing all interviews and assessments and guaranteed a position if it arises within a certain time frame but if no position comes up they need to reapply same as everyone else. Internals are a known quantity for their attitude, attendance record, etc. BUT the DMI is usually considerably harder than externals due to the knowledge they SHOULD have of the railway and access to info that externals don't they are grilled on this and externals don't need to endure it.

Good luck to ALL that apply, whether internal or external. Hopefully the best people get the job whether they're a current employee or not, so far that's how it seems to be getting done anyway!

Donachie

Yeah I was thinking they may have made an error or things may have suddenly changed but agree not being able to apply for six months seems a strange ine if you passed everything it is not like they are directly saying you didn't meet an enhanced standard oike some tocs do on the tests

There are a lot of freightliner guys looking for work that way too aren't there?

Thinks its DBS men on the hunt chief but DRS are always looking for qualified at Carlisle.

There was guys at the interviews from Plymouth, Weymouth and Blackpool , all travelling at there own expense !!

theironroad

Established Member
Thinks its DBS men on the hunt chief but DRS are always looking for qualified at Carlisle.

There was guys at the interviews from Plymouth, Weymouth and Blackpool , all travelling at there own expense !!

Were these guys from down south' external or qualified toc or foc?

Saltire

Not exactly the language or attitude expected from someone who is currently employed by the government to protect us from undesirables - maybe there are jobs available somewhere chasing sewer rats

scotraildriver

Established Member
Yeah I was thinking they may have made an error or things may have suddenly changed but agree not being able to apply for six months seems a strange ine if you passed everything it is not like they are directly saying you didn't meet an enhanced standard

You will always finD that vacancies at rural depots like Dumfries and Mallaig tend to be filled by qualified drivers as these depots will struggle to cover work if they are short for whatever reason. For example 1 person off sick at Mallaig caused numerous high profile cancellations so when this person retired it was necessary to replace them ASAP. To carry a trainee at Mallaig would cause these cancellations to continue until the trainee passed out, over a year.
Big depots can easily cover work so most trainees are at big depots and can then apply for transfer elsewhere.

Bodiddly

With your original posts earlier, I got the impression you were quite angry with the decision made against you. This just confirms things! After this show of aggression and publicly slating the recruitment manager, maybe it's just as well you won't be driving a train full of people.

387star

On Moderation
With your original posts earlier, I got the impression you were quite angry with the decision made against you. This just confirms things! After this show of aggression and publicly slating the recruitment manager, maybe it's just as well you won't be driving a train full of people.

Completely agree awful attitude problem

donpoku

Guys cut paton001 some slack.. he's just dedicated & been through some intense studying for this job only to not make it... seriously wouldn't you be gutted if it were you?

Oh dear, maybe Sandra cahill saw something in your personality that made her overlook you for the drivers job.
Looks like scotrail have dodged a proverbial bullet by not hiring you. Would you react like that when faced with challenging passengers on a Saturday evening?

Saltire

Just shows that when the chips are down he can't keep a calm head and deal logically and methodically to overcome a problem.
Goodness knows how he copes with a Friday night brawl in a pub?

He's not the only one who has been successful at every stage and not end up with a job but you need to pick yourself up and dust yourself off and keep hunting out the opportunities.

bigal27

Can I just throw it out there, I am a trainee just about to be passed out! I started in November last year and my class was 5 internal and me as the only External. Having been with these guys for nearly a year I can say its not any easier internal or external. the process for the internal is probably harder at mangers interview stage. Not just saying that but thats coming from what i heard from the guys in my class.

It had taken me just under 4 years to get the job! on hold!!! then application withdrawn etc. I just had to keep going back as it was the job i wanted to do.

what i'm saying is never give up if it's the job you want!

Richy3556

Please remember that people from Scotrail read these forums................

In that case the people of Scotrail are the greatest and I'll supply a tray of cakes every week during my training when you give me the job. Do you think this will work lol.

Jace69er

Jesus more drama in here than a bus load of drag Queens on the way to a wig convention

gazza8

Yeah I was thinking they may have made an error or things may have suddenly changed but agree not being able to apply for six months seems a strange ine if you passed everything it is not like they are directly saying you didn't meet an enhanced standard

You will always finD that vacancies at rural depots like Dumfries and Mallaig tend to be filled by qualified drivers as these depots will struggle to cover work if they are short for whatever reason. For example 1 person off sick at Mallaig caused numerous high profile cancellations so when this person retired it was necessary to replace them ASAP. To carry a trainee at Mallaig would cause these cancellations to continue until the trainee passed out, over a year.
Big depots can easily cover work so most trainees are at big depots and can then apply for transfer elsewhere.

rubbish! why would a driver move to a rural depot unless they were relocating? i cant speak for mallaig but i know for fact that the last 6 positions at dumfries and stranraer were filled by trainees

theironroad

Established Member
rubbish! why would a driver move to a rural depot unless they were relocating? i cant speak for mallaig but i know for fact that the last 6 positions at dumfries and stranraer were filled by trainees

Do scotrail classify Dumfries and Stranraer as rural depots?

My sense is that mallaig, Kyle and wick are rural depots plus maybe ft William and Oban.

I may well be wrong though.

Jace69er

Guys it's got nothing to do with where the depot is. If t he y need to fill a post fast and there are qualified drivers available then guess what? Yep they take qualified as it's a no brainer. If they don't need to fill the position fast and have time then yeah they will take a trainee. Bare in mind it's a business and its also cheaper to take qualified.

There has also been a huge amount of freight drivers being layed off recently. So watch this space. I bet most of not all will slip into positions now being advertised as the union will come to an agreement with Scotrail. It's how it works. **** for people trying to get a start but as I said it's business and I doubt they will spend thousands on training a new start when they have guys there that have many years driving experience and would be ready in a month or so after unit conversions and routes

link1driver

First time poster, so hello all.

Interesting reading on this thread, but just to confirm some of you are right about how it really works, some are wrong! External candidates are the preferred choice for many reasons including cost etc, so it is complete rubbish to suggest otherwise, reason I know this is because I was a passed man under British Rail, but lost my post on privatisation. I had to pass the psychometric test 8 times before I was finally offered a post, I was beaten by external candidates every time:(. Some of these individuals are not drivers now because they couldn't handle the boredom of the job, and believe me as much as I love it it can be very boring! The previous poster intimated that a lot of freight drivers will be slid into posts as part of deals with the Scotrail MD, yes that has happened in the past, not sure about now though, but if I were in their positions I would like ASLEF to fight to protect my livelihood and ensure I had a job even at the expense of others, it's a dog eat dog world when you are facing redundancy thats why we are a strong craft union. Can you imagine the outcry at the branch meeting,100 foc drivers lost their jobs but a toc took on 100 externals! Also it is disappointing to hear a Scotrail employee being slagged of on this forum, Sandra Cahill wouldn't have said internals have priority, as the recruitment process since 2003 has suggested very firmly otherwise, Sandra and her team are very capable at judging characters at these sessions, and to not get an offer at that stage, there must be something they have seen that they are not happy with.

So good luck to all, do your homework and may the best people win:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do scotrail classify Dumfries and Stranraer as rural depots?

My sense is that mallaig, Kyle and wick are rural depots plus maybe ft William and Oban.

I may well be wrong though.

Dumfries, Stranraer, Oban, Fort William, Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh and Wick are all rural depots, who all have to have their complements increased by 1. The exceptions are Oban and Wick, I think Oban is full as good people have transferred from Glasgow, but Wick is chronically short, so maybe looking for more there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Sounds like you are in it for the money my man, and with that attitude good luck even integrating into the depot in the first place! Remember Scotrail still has a lot of BR men who can soon cut the wings of some of the know it alls coming through the training school, you are out of class with a hell of a lot to learn!