• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Albagubrath

Totally agree. 40 minutes isn't a great deal of time to get over to atrium court from Queen Street. You don't want to be rushing.
Eh??? It takes 5 minutes to walk from Queen street Station to Atrium Court!

I know a good few people who stayed in a hotel the night before to remove any chance of stress getting there and a quiet environment for last minute revision. Could be a few pounds well spent.
From Experience, revising for these tests is a waste of time!

Everyone that I know that pass it did Zero revision and went in with a clear open mind to the tests not “expecting to know what’s coming up” and just reading the instructions and completing the tests.
These tests are designed to be passed by people with the ability to pass them.
Practising and revising will not help you pass something you are not physically or mentally capable of!

That’s what’s unique about the tests you can get good at them, you either have it or you don’t.

All the people I know that failed them……spent weeks and weeks revising the tests.

There is an article in yesterday's Herald, apparently 4500 people have applied for 116 trainee jobs. I would have excepted a far greater number of applicants.
And if they actually allowed the 4500 to sit the tests (which they won’t) only about 270 people would pass them!
The ratio is for ever 1000 that sit the tests only 60 pass to the standard required and from that 60 they get about 10 that are suitable for the job after Interview!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mouse1903

I passed the tests and if I hadn't put in the hours practice then it's more than likely I wouldn't have passed. I understand there's only so much you can do and ultimately it's how you perform on the day as the tests are slightly different, but fail to plan is plan to fail...the same with preparation

LoogaBarooga

Everyone that I know that pass it did Zero revision and went in with a clear open mind to the tests not “expecting to know what’s coming up” and just reading the instructions and completing the tests.
Practising and revising will not help you pass something you are not physically or mentally capable of!

That’s what’s unique about the tests you can get good at them, you either have it or you don’t.

All the people I know that failed them……spent weeks and weeks revising the tests.

And if they actually allowed the 4500 to sit the tests (which they won’t) only about 270 people would pass them!
The ratio is for ever 1000 that sit the tests only 60 pass to the standard required and from that 60 they get about 10 that are suitable for the job after Interview!
Aye that's assuming your train is on time.

Agree about practicing the tests btw. I've sat them twice, passed both times and done basically no practice.

Getting a decent night's sleep the night before is the best way to prepare imo.

scotraildriver

Established Member
These tests were originally designed in such a way that some people could naturally pass them and some couldn't. When I did it 20 years ago there was nothing online, you got the practice material and that was it. The advancement of the internet has allowed people to practice the tests until they can pass, but in the reality of the job you don't get time to practice, you need the natural ability to deal with situations. As a driving instructor there are definitely more trainees now who don't have a natural ability and really struggle, particularly in fault finding and difficult situations. The mechanical comprehension was a tough one but really helps if you can understand how things work. The basics of how a diesel engine works seems totally alien to many of my trainees these days. I'm also encountering many more trainees who go into panic/headless chicken mode when things go wrong when you really need to be calm and methodical. Of course there are also lots of very good trainees as well, but I've never seen so many fail to make the grade or have serious incidents early in their career. I'm not sure the whole process doesn't need an overhaul.

Clearprop40

These tests were originally designed in such a way that some people could naturally pass them and some couldn't. When I did it 20 years ago there was nothing online, you got the practice material and that was it. The advancement of the internet has allowed people to practice the tests until they can pass, but in the reality of the job you don't get time to practice, you need the natural ability to deal with situations. As a driving instructor there are definitely more trainees now who don't have a natural ability and really struggle, particularly in fault finding and difficult situations. The mechanical comprehension was a tough one but really helps if you can understand how things work. The basics of how a diesel engine works seems totally alien to many of my trainees these days. I'm also encountering many more trainees who go into panic/headless chicken mode when things go wrong when you really need to be calm and methodical. Of course there are also lots of very good trainees as well, but I've never seen so many fail to make the grade or have serious incidents early in their career. I'm not sure the whole process doesn't need an overhaul

Interesting points mate. In the training environment can the trainees not be subjected to simulated emergencies using the simulator? It's certainly effective in the airline and helicopter industry. For some it's a thing to dread as the occurrence's these days of real life incidents are very rare. The automation is replacing the human decision making element and algorithms seem to be less error prone!

scotraildriver

Established Member
I'm finding it's not so much "emergency" situations but more out of course. For example, an engine stops. For me it's about logical fault finding. Is there fuel? Is it getting to the engine? Is there coolant? Is there enough oil? I suspect it's down to a new generation of people who don't do anything for themselves. They lease cars and have no requirement to maintain. No idea what actually happens. Bizarrely I've had 2 recent trainees who couldn't grasp dialling an actual phone number on the GSMR. The railway is decidedly old fashioned in some respects and people do struggle with it. Emergency situations are dealt with in the simulator but it's a very different environment in reality.

Clearprop40

I'm finding it's not so much "emergency" situations but more out of course. For example, an engine stops. For me it's about logical fault finding. Is there fuel? Is it getting to the engine? Is there coolant? Is there enough oil? I suspect it's down to a new generation of people who don't do anything for themselves. They lease cars and have no requirement to maintain. No idea what actually happens. Bizarrely I've had 2 recent trainees who couldn't grasp dialling an actual phone number on the GSMR. The railway is decidedly old fashioned in some respects and people do struggle with it. Emergency situations are dealt with in the simulator but it's a very different environment in reality.
It begs the question how can they get through what is obviously a very difficult recruitment process? I might be a saddo but I think everyone should understand the workings of an Otto cycle engine. I guess the simulator can't prepare drivers for the emotional response of dealing with emergency situations as the consequences for getting it wrong is merely control, alt, delete and repeat that part again please! Sadly across other industries there is a trend to minimise human interaction with big heavy mechanical things and automaton is replacing the humans out of those once esteemed careers. At the rate of technological advancement the role of train driver will undoubtedly change and it won't be decades away!

MT18

I think everyone should understand the workings of an Otto cycle engine.

Ridiculous statement , I haven’t even heard of said engine until reading it in your comment. It shouldn’t rule me out of being a potential trainee train driver. I do however understand the workings of a railway signalling interlocking system, which doesn’t make me a better candidate than anyone else in the process.

Last edited:

John Bishop

Trouble is though, the company don’t want you to fault find, they want you to call the signaller if you have an issue then call Maintrol and act on instructions. That’s what’s drilled into the modern day trainee during rules. I agree with your sentiment though, and I do try and fault find as much as possible once I’ve complied with the above policy. I know a lot of people a scared senseless by the HST as it’s a very ‘mechanical’ train which takes quite a bit of time to get your head round.

Modern day recruitment is about box ticking, they couldn’t care less if you don’t know how an engine works, it’s not a requirement anymore. The rights and wrongs of that is probably subject to its very own thread however.

Not sure I agree with your statement there. Out of everyone I joined with, myself included, had done considerable practice of the practice material sent out by the company in the weeks prior to the tests and also the external practice papers on the Group Bourdon, of which, many used the study material on this very site, again including me. We all passed and have been fully qualified for a fair few years now.

I do agree however, that not all of the tests can be practiced for, you’ve either got it or you don’t.

Last edited:

Clearprop40

Ridiculous statement , I haven’t even heard of said engine until reading it in your comment. It shouldn’t rule me out of being a potential trainee train driver. I do however understand the workings of a railway signalling interlocking system, which doesn’t make me a better candidate than anyone else in the

Ok mate.

Last edited:

Clearprop40

Bit of a change from your original reply?

I was only pointing out how I read your comment. Anyway it's done now.
I don't derive much pleasure from bickering on a forum, hence the modification of my response. I'll let the HR folks be the arbiter of who's suitable. Good luck with your stage 1 assessment I am sure you'll breeze with your signalling background.
Regards
CP

MT18

I don't derive much pleasure from bickering on a forum, hence the modification of my response. I'll let the HR folks be the arbiter of who's suitable. Good luck with your stage 1 assessment I am sure you'll breeze with your signalling background.
Regards
CP
Fair enough, that’s a good shout. Oh thank you, passed it before and I’m more than confident of passing it again, your support is appreciated though. Best of luck with your application.

Kendo

I'm finding it's not so much "emergency" situations but more out of course. For example, an engine stops. For me it's about logical fault finding. Is there fuel? Is it getting to the engine? Is there coolant? Is there enough oil? I suspect it's down to a new generation of people who don't do anything for themselves. They lease cars and have no requirement to maintain. No idea what actually happens. Bizarrely I've had 2 recent trainees who couldn't grasp dialling an actual phone number on the GSMR. The railway is decidedly old fashioned in some respects and people do struggle with it. Emergency situations are dealt with in the simulator but it's a very different environment in
I'm just glad I wasn't your trainee sound like the type of guy that would throw his trainee under a bus. I know nothing about engines and my mechanical knowledge is poor however that means absolutely nothing in terms of being a good train driver as previously stated you call the signaller and then maintrol if you have any issues they will guide you through it. Show me a trainee driver or new driver that doesn't initially panic when it's our of course working it's all part n parcel of being new to the Railway. You then learn from experience and that gains confidence to then deal with it efficiently.

Ads748

Thanks for your reply, well now im confused then as to why my application status is showing that hmmmm.
I have now heard back from recruitment and they have said that the applications are still be reviewed by recruitment and told me to just ignore “this appllication is awating completion of an online test”. As there are not any online tests, and for me to keep monitoring my emails for further correspondence from recruitment regarding my application.

Katiem211

Same here! I applied for the Aberdeen depot and am still currently sat at ‘This application is under consideration’.

Trying not to let it bother me for now, but it does worry me a tad having seen other responses here.
My depot is Inverness. Guessing for me it may be rejected now but who knows

kickin aff

Fair enough, that’s a good shout. Oh thank you, passed it before and I’m more than confident of passing it again, your support is appreciated though. Best of luck with your application.
Why are you required to sit the assessment again if you have previously passed it?

MT18

Why are you required to sit the assessment again if you have previously passed it?
Unfortunately 3 years has passed since I took the stage 1 assessments and I’m sure I’ve read that the results expire after that time?

LoogaBarooga

It needs to be valid throughout your training though so if it's going to expire during that time you would need to sit it again.

MT18

It needs to be valid throughout your training though so if it's going to expire during that time you would need to sit it again.
I reapplied in December just there and passed the assessment around 3 years ago today, so hopefully this would be enough. Thanks for the information much appreciated.

Mouse1903

Just over 2 weeks since my Stage 1 assessment, still waiting for my DMI. In process of preparing questions and answers, hopefully it will be in the next 2 - 3 weeks

AS84

Like many others on here, my application is sitting 'under consideration'. I'm wondering if anyone has been told they are unsuccessful at this point, or is the under consideration a status Scotrail use for everyone not yet invited for assessment?

John Bishop

Like many others on here, my application is sitting 'under consideration'. I'm wondering if anyone has been told they are unsuccessful at this point, or is the under consideration a status Scotrail use for everyone not yet invited for assessment?
As I’ve said before on here, you won’t be told if you have not been successful with the paper sift. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately you will just have to sit tight and see. When I applied many moons ago, I got contacted about 9 months after application submission.

Others on here more recently have stated that they have been contacted after considerable time asking if they are still interested in progressing with their application.

Don't place much attention on the application status, it’s not an accurate reflection of it‘s progress.