• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Electrification updates & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilonewton

I think every road bridge which has been replaced recently has been built wider than before, eg the Kerse bridge in Stirling now has three lanes. I believe there was a local authority contribution, but I don't know how much. What you are suggesting would require the track to be raised, unless the bridge has a very thick deck. This might be more difficult.
Most bridges have been rebuilt on a “like for like” basis, as the Local Authorities have enough call on their funds without providing extra for bridges that wouldn’t have needed replacing but for the electrification works. If you went across the old Kerse Road bridge, it was pretty much life expired. The council have got a cracking new, higher capacity bridge for a lot less than if they had replaced it themselves, which they would had to do in the not too distant future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
I doubt the railway would stump up for that, no benefit to them. I hadn’t realised it was special double deckers for the route, learn something every day!
Low-height deckers for this route have been a thing going right back to Strathclyde Buses' days. Low-height Olympians were standard for a number of years, then the tri-axle East Lanc Nordic-bodied Volvo B7Ls arrived. These, in turn, were replaced by the current lot of low-height E400s in 2011. As the last linked image clearly illustrates, it's a very tight fit, even with the vehicle built to a lower height.

route101

Established Member
Low-height deckers for this route have been a thing going right back to Strathclyde Buses' days. Low-height Olympians were standard for a number of years, then the tri-axle East Lanc Nordic-bodied Volvo B7Ls arrived. These, in turn, were replaced by the current lot of low-height E400s in 2011. As the last linked image clearly illustrates, it's a very tight fit, even with the vehicle built to a lower height.

Looks like the road was lowered a wee bit but not enough . Been a few humdingers with buses and trucks on that bridge

route101

Established Member
The steel bridge you can see is a footbridge, the stone arch road bridge is a few meters behind it. The footbridge was renewed a couple of years ago. If that road bridge was closed it would cause major disruption, as this is a primary route used by several bus services.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.7906334,-4.2781397,106m/data=!3m1!1e3

Looking at the map the next possible diversion is via Giffnock and Braidholm Road to Muirend . Could be done over the summer holidays

InOban

Established Member
Bridge replacement often takes over six months. It depends on how many services are buried under the road. If there aren't any services than it's obviously much quicker, but I suspect that this one may have the full set: water, sewage, HV power, street light power, domestic power, phone cables, both copper and fibre, and the utilities may only have a vague idea of their location.

GLC

There must have been a lot of triple and quadruple checking of the heights of those E400s before the first one tried to run under that bridge!

Loved seeing the nordics too when they were around

MadMac

There must have been a lot of triple and quadruple checking of the heights of those E400s before the first one tried to run under that bridge!

There was a case some years ago of one getting its roof scraped one Monday morning. Turned out the road was resurfaced over the weekend.....

deltic08

On Moderation
Rail bridge obviously built before double deckers and lorries were thought of.

d9009alycidon

There was a case some years ago of one getting its roof scraped one Monday morning. Turned out the road was resurfaced over the weekend.....

Busby used to be a regular bash spot as the diversion was quite circuitous (although well signposted) through Eaglesham village, but since the Glasgow Southern Orbital was built the heavies seem happier to use that route.

d9009alycidon

Bridge replacement often takes over six months. It depends on how many services are buried under the road. If there aren't any services than it's obviously much quicker, but I suspect that this one may have the full set: water, sewage, HV power, street light power, domestic power, phone cables, both copper and fibre, and the utilities may only have a vague idea of their location.

Given that there are no underbridges near Clarkston station (between the Neilston line to the West and the Cart Viaduct to the East) I would say that track lowering would be a better solution.

Jim

Southsider

Given that there are no underbridges near Clarkston station (between the Neilston line to the West and the Cart Viaduct to the East) I would say that track lowering would be a better solution.

Jim
Have a look at slide 30 in the presentation referenced here Electrification threads and resources index in post 76 (sorry, not good at this linking stuff).
420mm lowering required, would probably necessitate the rebuilding of Clarkston station. Also, the bridges are 150 years old, better to replace them with modern, realigned structures. If and when the job is done it’ll come down to cost of course.

Last edited:

sannox

It's the dwell time to open the doors then unload and load passengers onto the 156s that gets me, seems to take an eternity.

The dwell time is horrendous on the 156s particularly given the loadings and standing passengers in the morning which their door design is unsuitable for. Not uncommon for 90 seconds plus dwell times at the stations on the EK line, which they are usually timetabled for 30 secs -1 minute.

The solution at Clarkston would be a complete replacement. The road alignment falls well below modern standards and causes issues. You could feasibly build a new alignment to the east rather than a like for like replacement.

Southsider

The dwell time is horrendous on the 156s particularly given the loadings and standing passengers in the morning which their door design is unsuitable for. Not uncommon for 90 seconds plus dwell times at the stations on the EK line, which they are usually timetabled for 30 secs -1 minute.

The solution at Clarkston would be a complete replacement. The road alignment falls well below modern standards and causes issues. You could feasibly build a new alignment to the east rather than a like for like replacement.
Quite a lot of people get off at intermediate stops which makes matters worse as they are often stuck in the middle of a coach. There was a fatality on the bridge a couple of years ago when an HGV, trying to negotiate the bend, mounted the pavement and crushed a pedestrian. Plenty of other less serious incidents too and hazardous for people trying to cross.

route101

Established Member

I used to live in Busby and there was quite a few bridge strikes , latterly its been foreign HGVs , not that long i seen and thought heck thats not gonna get under . i Remember a lorry full of Lucozade splitting its load and everyone was allowed to take it and a paint lorry toppled and with fatality .

route101

Established Member

The nordics were tri axles , quite uncomfortable seating inside .

Southsider

780743B2-9426-4190-B663-5CA9053F2A1A.jpeg
Here’s a better view of the bridge.

ScottDarg

Post on the Scot-Rail forum earlier today notes that the wires in the Grangemouth area are to be treated as being live from 07:00 on Sunday 10/02/19.

59CosG95

Established Member
Post on the Scot-Rail forum earlier today notes that the wires in the Grangemouth area are to be treated as being live from 07:00 on Sunday 10/02/19.
Excellent news; I hope that we can start seeing electric locos on freight out of there soon.

I suspect that DBC will most likely be using 90s on the Malcolm trains to Daventry, but that DRS & Colas will continue to use diesel as
  1. Colas have no electrics in their fleet at present; and
  2. DRS only run trains to Aberdeen Craiginches (a largely unelectrified route).
It is a shame that Colas have no bi-modal electrics, as they could be very useful indeed on the Dalston-Grangemouth & Grangemouth-Prestwick oil runs; aside from short stubs at each end, both routes are electric throughout.

Agdron

Quick Question: Does anybody know the electric diagrams for SDA at the weekends?

InOban

Established Member
By now, surely, it should be a matter of identifying the remaining diesel diagrams. BTW the 11.21 EDI to Dunblane today was a 170.

mcmad

most Edinburgh - Dunblane are 365, Glasgow Dunblane are mostly 170/158/156 and Glasgow Alloa are half and half Diesel and 385. Best bet seems to be the Edinburgh - Glasgow via Cumbernauld for electric.

Stopper

I haven’t travelled on an SDA service since the timetable change but there’s plenty of diesels going past my house in Linlithgow still. Noticed several 156/158/170s at Stirling in the bays or plat6/9 when crossing the bridge too.

I believe the 17:18 Edinburgh to Dunblane/Alloa has to remain 158/170 diesel combo due to splitting at Stirling. Unsure if this will eventually change to a 6-car 385 splitting at Stirling.

route101

Established Member
most Edinburgh - Dunblane are 365, Glasgow Dunblane are mostly 170/158/156 and Glasgow Alloa are half and half Diesel and 385. Best bet seems to be the Edinburgh - Glasgow via Cumbernauld for electric.

Do they stick to this? Are 365s doing any Queen St services or 385s from Edinburgh to Dunblane?

WGWarburton

I believe the 17:18 Edinburgh to Dunblane/Alloa has to remain 158/170 diesel combo due to splitting at Stirling. Unsure if this will eventually change to a 6-car 385 splitting at Stirling.

If I read RTT correctly, there is a 1719 departure from Waverley proposed that is listed as a 385 and splits at Stirling: It arrives 1801 and continues to Dunblane, leaving Stirling (platform 6) at 1805 and arriving there at 1815. There's another 385 service leaves from Platform 6 at 1809 for Alloa.

I don't know how closely this is likely to match reality or even if I'm reading it correctly (my RTT-fu is weak), so if someone with a better mastery can confirm or refute, that would be helpful!!!

Cheers,
W.

Status
Not open for further replies.