Scottish Electrification updates & discussion

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Altnabreac, 27 Sep 2013.

1. 47271

47271 Established Member

I've reread the piece. I wonder if
    really is a direct quote from Scotrail to the P&J or if it's Rhoda Grant's (probably accidental) misrepresentation of what she was told in the context of the electrification closures?

2. Aictos

Aictos Established Member

With the Shotts line being wired up we ought to see linespeed increases right?

3. smtglasgow

smtglasgow Member

Has there ever been any indication of what level of service will be operated on the Shotts line once electrification is complete and the 385s have all arrived – presumably May 2019 at the earliest? Assuming journey times will improve slightly, but it would be good to see the evening service boosted to hourly. Maybe an extra peak train into Edinburgh?

4. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

Depends on the condition/alignment of the track and earthworks.

5. The_Engineer

The_Engineer Member

The quick answer is line speed has little to do with the electrification. It is the track geometry, condition and clearances that mainly governs that..... So, rather it depends on track/clearance improvement.

6. route101

route101 Established Member

At one point they were wanted the Shotts services to go through Glasgow Central Low level.

7. deltic08

deltic08 On Moderation

Surely it is a route improvement like Manchester-Blackpool and not just electrification otherwise a waste of 100 mph units?

8. TheAlbanach_

TheAlbanach_ Member

I personally would love better service at the Edinburgh end of the route. The stations are so under used for the area they are all in. So much faster than the bus into town too. It's the service frequency and reliability that put people off. Hopefully the electric trains when up and running improve things drastically.

9. The_Engineer

The_Engineer Member

You may be correct, I don't know the total scope of work. The post I replied to asked if electrification allowed line speed improvements and I answered that.

Having travelled the route, I would rather think a lot of it limited in speed by line curvature and structure. Unless you can get rid of most lower speed restriction to runs at a more consistently higher speed, even with EMU performance the braking and accelerating for these minimise the effect of raising line speeds in other parts of the route.

But, if someone can enlighten us a to what work has been carried out to the infrastructure, we will get a better idea.

10. RLBH

RLBH Member

If the line is able to make use of the better acceleration of new units, it's presumably sensible to order one fleet of 100mph units than to have a slightly smaller order of 100mph units and a micro-fleet of (say) 75mph units for one particular route.

11. The_Engineer

The_Engineer Member

I have just had a quick on line search, and all the articles that I have found refer to electrification only. No track or line speed changes. The only other infrastructure mentioned were bridge work to raise parapets and increase electrical clearances, plus the station improvements. I think the same is true for Larbert to Dunblane and Alloa

12. takno

takno Established Member

Faster acceleration and a massive increase in the number of signals on the line should make a significantly faster service doable within existing speed limits. It should also make a more regular service achievable, with higher reliability. It's already not an incredibly slow route

In terms of the Edinburgh local stations I can't see them doing much there - that bit hasn't been resignalled, so additional local stoppers would potentially get quite badly in the way of faster Shotts trains and the west coast expresses.

13. Ginaro

Ginaro Member

I think it's 70 from Slateford then 95 to Midcalder Junction, and back to 70 through to Holytown Junction. But the stations aren't that far apart so not sure if they could even reach 100mph - better acceleration will be more useful here.

14. MadMac

MadMac Member

Being familiar with the route, there isn’t a lot of scope for linespeed improvements. Improved acceleration will certainly help.

15. Class385

Class385 Member

Not too much left to wire up.

IMG_20181025_163108.jpg IMG_20181025_163102.jpg IMG_20181025_163114.jpg

16. GRALISTAIR

GRALISTAIR Established Member

Excellent shots - thanks

17. MadMac

MadMac Member

Seconded

18. deltic08

deltic08 On Moderation

Thirded

19. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

Fourthed.

20. 318266

318266 Member

Fifthed.

21. Aictos

Aictos Established Member

Sixth lol!

22. Altnabreac

Altnabreac Established Member

Seventhed

23. alangla

alangla Member

Once the 314s are gone there won’t be any 75mph EMUs left in Scotland.

Oh, eighthed!

24. deltic08

deltic08 On Moderation

As someone who very passionate about electrification, it is very satisfying to see a scheme go so well and relatively smoothly.

That applies to Dunblane/Alloa too. Pity they couldn't just keep going north to Hilton Tunnel until Perth remodelling is complete then there wouldn't be much to do when it is.

At least it would keep the teams together.

25. InOban

InOban Established Member

NR have announced that the OHLE will go live on Sunday 4th.

26. MadMac

MadMac Member

Which one?

27. snowball

snowball Established Member

Stirling-Dunblane-Alloa, according to this press release.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/stirling-dunblane-alloa-electrification-goes-live/

28. MadMac

MadMac Member

There was a well-advanced scheme in the 1980s to single the G&SW from Kilmarnock - Dumfries. Kilmarnock box would take as far as, I think, Mauchline with Dumfries controlling loops at New Cumnock, Kirkconnel, Thornhill and Holywood. It got as far as relay rooms being built and cables/troughing being installed. Scottish Region upper management eventually realised what an error of judgement they'd made, but before they could pull the plug, the signals contractor (GEC) came forward and said they had made a huge error in their quote and would like to pull out, an offer which was gratefully accepted!

29. snowball

snowball Established Member

Wasn't one section singled and later redoubled, perhaps Gretna to Annan or something?

30. MadMac

MadMac Member

Gretna Junction to Annan was redoubled 10 or so years ago, that may be what you're thinking of.