• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Electrification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
I would like to see Rutherglen East Jn-Whifflet wired plus the north spur.

This could provide both ScotRail & Virgin Trains (or whoever holds the franchise) an alternative electrified link towards Falkirk Grahamston & Motherwell. I think the current Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen Street should alternate with 2tph to Glasgow Central via Cumbernauld.

Please make constructive comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of people think the only way to Edinburgh is from Queen St . I quite often change at Glasgow Central onto the fast Glasgow to Waverley via Shotts as its quieter and offers a good connection off the EK service. Of course the via Shotts fast service is only hourly and Queen St offers 4x hourly . I wonder what the journey time compares going via Cumbernauld to Waverley from Glasgow central.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SC318250

First lines to be electrified: egip Edinburgh to Glasgow via falkirk also edin/glas to dunblane and alloa, whifflet and cumbernauld lines will be electrified and connected to the argyle line. Glasgow to east kilbride and barrhead is the next step then the paisley canal route. Fife circle lines and Aberdeen line from glasgow and Edinburgh will be electrified. Inverness line is hoped to be electrified but scotrail has no permission. Also by 2020 the shorts part of the Glasgow central line will be electrified and the Motherwell to Cumbernauld line will be wired, finally the maryhill line will be wired.

Work hasstarted on Paisley Canal, and I believe Cumbernauld is next to be done, and integrated into Queen Street Low Level.

When Wifflet is done I expect the short distance between Coatbridge and the junction on the Cumbernaul line (which have forgotten), will be done at same time

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
the obvious electrifications to me would be:
Ayr-Stranraer

Never, I suspect closure is the likely future south of Girvan.

I would like to see Rutherglen East Jn-Whifflet wired plus the north spur.

This could provide both ScotRail & Virgin Trains (or whoever holds the franchise) an alternative electrified link towards Falkirk Grahamston & Motherwell. I think the current Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen Street should alternate with 2tph to Glasgow Central via Cumbernauld.

Please make constructive comments.

Cumbernauld would be a massive time penalty, I can't see it happening. Plus, stations via Falkirk High would lose up 50% of services, unless you make all services all stations, which would be pointless.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
agreed, what we want are faster journeys not the other way round!
That said, I couldnt tel you last time I used GLQ high level as the Shots semifasts or the A to B semi fasts are often better for where Im going and often quieter!
A little tip for somebody wanting to work, the mobile phone and 3g signals are far better on A to B.

alexf380

Established Member
First lines to be electrified: egip Edinburgh to Glasgow via falkirk also edin/glas to dunblane and alloa, whifflet and cumbernauld lines will be electrified and connected to the argyle line. Glasgow to east kilbride and barrhead is the next step then the paisley canal route. Fife circle lines and Aberdeen line from glasgow and Edinburgh will be electrified. Inverness line is hoped to be electrified but scotrail has no permission. Also by 2020 the shorts part of the Glasgow central line will be electrified and the Motherwell to Cumbernauld line will be wired, finally the maryhill line will be wired.
and EDB- Newcraighall when it joins the re-opened waverley line

route101

Established Member
agreed, what we want are faster journeys not the other way round!
That said, I couldnt tel you last time I used GLQ high level as the Shots semifasts or the A to B semi fasts are often better for where Im going and often quieter!
A little tip for somebody wanting to work, the mobile phone and 3g signals are far better on A to B.

Yeah ive used the fast A to B services and they feel pretty quick. With regards to 380s the only improvements would be a carpeted floor and more airline seating .

tbtc

Veteran Member
I think the current Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen Street should alternate with 2tph to Glasgow Central via Cumbernauld

Diverting half of the current Falkirk High services through Cumbernauld would slow them down quite a bit. Croy's success is partly because it's essentially the mainline station for "Greater Cumbernauld" - it's as handy for many of the spread out housing estates as the actual "Cumbernauld" station (which is a fair way from a lot of the town).

However there may be scope for some peak extensions of Stepps/ Cumbernauld/ Grahamston services to Edinburgh, in the way that there's a Kirkcaldy/ Inverkeithing service to Glasgow at rush hour...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
think the only problem with that is paths at haymarket. Pritty full these days and my guess is if anything some stuff wil be cut back at least until the rebuild is done and trams (supposedly) running in 2014. incidently part of haymarkets problem in my mind is the fact that only 2 of the platforms have knitting. How much would it cost to do 2, 1, 0 and the other 2 tunnelrs/through the gardens?
Be far more flexible with the number of electric services set to use the station esp if pendo worked BHM services continue and/or iv voyagers get panto cars.
Knitting 0 would allow any traction to be caped there too if theres probs at EDB.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I thought 0 1 and 2 now do have wires, courtesy of the A-B project? If they've not, I'd expect them to be installed as part of EGIP.

As for Cumbernauld, how about a different idea? Put in a passenger station at Garangemouth, terminate the trains that currently terminate at Grahamston there. I know the idea of Grangemouth-Edinburgh services has occasionally been mentioned, but that has reversals inherent. Of course, it would mean Grangemouth-Edinburgh passengers having to cross the footbridge.

PaulLothian

think the only problem with that is paths at haymarket. Pritty full these days and my guess is if anything some stuff wil be cut back at least until the rebuild is done and trams (supposedly) running in 2014. incidently part of haymarkets problem in my mind is the fact that only 2 of the platforms have knitting. How much would it cost to do 2, 1, 0 and the other 2 tunnelrs/through the gardens?
Be far more flexible with the number of electric services set to use the station esp if pendo worked BHM services continue and/or iv voyagers get panto cars.
Knitting 0 would allow any traction to be caped there too if theres probs at EDB.

I think they are already doing/have done this (not quite sure if it is complete). Certainly we had quite a bit of weekend engineering disruption last year related to this project.

This ties in with building the Dalmeny Chord to allow E-G stopping service to access the new Gyle interchange, which is of course on the Fife lines.

Note - have just found this link http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...VEMENTS-PROGRAMME-CONTRACTS-AWARDED-152f.aspx This says "In the short-term, the electrification of the north lines between Princes St Gardens and Haymarket, via the Haymarket north tunnel, will improve reliability and increase capacity into Edinburgh Waverley ahead of the introduction of the new, four trains an hour, Airdrie-Bathgate route in December 2010.

The £6m works at Haymarket north will involve track alignment and tunnel wall repairs to provide the correct clearances for the installation of overhead power lines through the tunnel".

Blindtraveler

Established Member
you may be correct Re HYM But always seam to be queing outside for a platform when on the evening pendo arival from EUS/BHM. As to grangemouth I like the idea but think esp if having to go via Falkirk youd have journey time issues that make the hourly citylink coach stil seam more attractive.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Doubt platforms 1 & 2 can be accessed from the Carstairs line? Whilst 1 &2 can be used by Glasgow & Dunblane diesel services, they mainly use 3&4, plus obviously you've also got Shotts line using them and A-B- whilst 1&2 go underused mainly serving Fife/points north.

Liam

Established Member
All platforms at Haymarket now have wires. They had a 380 parked in platform 0 for a few weeks before they went into service on North Berwick services.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Doubt platforms 1 & 2 can be accessed from the Carstairs line? Whilst 1 &2 can be used by Glasgow & Dunblane diesel services, they mainly use 3&4, plus obviously you've also got Shotts line using them and A-B- whilst 1&2 go underused mainly serving Fife/points north.

Correct, the crossover from the Edinburgh Park line to the Fife line is opposite Haymarket depot, so only services from Edinburgh Park (and the "sub") can access the Fife platforms (not services from the Slateford direction though, like the Virgin ones)

(am avoiding referring to the "Glasgow" line, as obviously Glasgow services can come via both ways)

Whistler40145

Established Member
Are their plans to electrify the Edinburgh Sub?

This would be a useful diversion route for Passenger services & freight.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Is there enough extra capacity through the tunnels south of Waverley to allow such diversions? I always thought that was the reason they gave for never reopening it to passengers trains (with intermediate stations etc).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
its certainly underused but admittedly very slow and unsure if it would warrant the investment. More useful id say to wire newcraighall and run a shuttle EMU rather than fife workings going there but they have made there bed on that one I think.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
mat, I aint sure on your point but harking back to the Waverley Platform works with some Fife workings terminating at HYM I thought this should have continued as theres a lot of traffic from there and it frees paths through the gardens. A few other routes E.G shots line stoppers could do likewise as off peek theres plenty fresh air being redistributed between the 2 stations

michael769

Established Member
I am wondering what they will do stock wise for the Edinbugh to Glasgow via Falkirk service given that it has 1st Class and tthat they are mooting 125mph operation again.

A build of 125mph capable cl380s with 1st class sections or something else?

Liam

Established Member
its certainly underused but admittedly very slow and unsure if it would warrant the investment. More useful id say to wire newcraighall and run a shuttle EMU rather than fife workings going there but they have made there bed on that one I think.

It's already wired. I would run the A+B's through to Newcraighall. However Newcraighall and Brunstane will become part of the Waverley line services when (if) it is built.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
dont think the 125 wil come that quickly and as this is supposed to be up and running in a few years I suspect another load of assorted bits of plastik and computers deskised as 380s wil be imported from Germany. Its a shame as in my mind we deserve better
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's already wired. I would run the A+B's through to Newcraighall. However Newcraighall and Brunstane will become part of the Waverley line services when (if) it is built.

again my bad. You can so tel iv not slept :) as to the Waverley? Dead duck. Its all got a bit daft and a bit like the Edinburgh trams I dont know a single person who wants it. Too me, it will only become a viable choice if run to CAR with a 170 or similar every cupple of hours doing the full run with maybe a few extentions into West Cumbria or reversal for Dumfries.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am wondering what they will do stock wise for the Edinbugh to Glasgow via Falkirk service given that it has 1st Class and tthat they are mooting 125mph operation again.

Sure about that?

See the attached FOI request ;)

Attachments

• TS FOI.pdf
    74.5 KB · Views: 40

route:oxford

Established Member
Sure about that?

See the attached FOI request ;)

So (initially) we'll have a similar situation to the WCML where 140mph units are limited to 125mph.

The new 125mph units that are said to be based on the 380s will be limited to 100mph. I suppose that's for the best really - to have a unit that will last around 40 years - that can travel 25% faster when track improvements are undertaken.

MacCookie

So (initially) we'll have a similar situation to the WCML where 140mph units are limited to 125mph.

The new 125mph units that are said to be based on the 380s will be limited to 100mph. I suppose that's for the best really - to have a unit that will last around 40 years - that can travel 25% faster when track improvements are undertaken.

Eh...?

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Are their plans to electrify the Edinburgh Sub?

Is there enough extra capacity through the tunnels south of Waverley to allow such diversions? I always thought that was the reason they gave for never reopening it to passengers trains (with intermediate stations etc).

I don't think there are many spare paths at either Waverley or Haymarket for "sub" services (or, if there are then I'd be using them to address capacity on the existing busy rotes.

A build of 125mph capable cl380s with 1st class sections or something else?

Where, on the Falkirk High line, would there be a hope of 125mph?

Pipe dream - especially given the flat junctions, other services stopping at stations en route...

Newcraighall is already electrified.

And, AFAIK, has never seen an EMU there (unless anyone can confirm)

Liam

Established Member
again my bad. You can so tel iv not slept :) as to the Waverley? Dead duck. Its all got a bit daft and a bit like the Edinburgh trams I dont know a single person who wants it.

I thought Network Rail were building it, supposed to start sometime this year? Suppose it has to compete with the X95 bus, in time and cost. The last time I used the X95 a few years ago it was about £5 single to Gala, not sure the train could compete with that, so the train will have to take a huge chunk off the 1h30 the bus takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.