• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seat-hoggers..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loey

Ok, first post, and a rant............

Why, why, why do some selfish sods feel the need to take up the seat next to them with their bag, coat or other personal effects ?

Is it just that they feel they deserve 2 seats, or are afraid of human contact, or are just tossers who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves ?

Why aren't they banned from doing this ? How is it being a "considerate" passenger ? I say they should be told by train staff that if they do it, they are immediately charged for another full single ticket - that might have some effect......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
If there are plenty of other empty seats available I don't see the problem.

York to Scarborough last year packed train baby on my reserved seat, and the woman refused to move the baby laid on the seat onto her lap... Ergh that annoys me

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
On overcrowded trains I fully agree, however on quieter trains I don't see a problem.

Flamingo

Established Member
Ok, first post, and a rant............

Why, why, why do some selfish sods feel the need to take up the seat next to them with their bag, coat or other personal effects ?

Is it just that they feel they deserve 2 seats, or are afraid of human contact, or are just tossers who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves ?

Why aren't they banned from doing this ? How is it being a "considerate" passenger ? I say they should be told by train staff that if they do it, they are immediately charged for another full single ticket - that might have some effect......

It wouldn't. The only thing that makes them move them in some cases is either a direct "Move your bag, I want to sit down", or a threat to move the bag onto the platform as it it causing an obstruction. Even if they DO have two tickets (with reservations), they are still not entitled to put their luggage on seats, if someBODY is not occupying the seat, it is available - end of.

I was going through a train last week, taking out the "no shows" on reservations, when someone sitting beside an empty seat said "That's my seat". I replied that as they were not sitting in it, I was removing the reservation to show the seat was available, to which they said "Well I sat here so no-one would sit there". I said "I know, that's why I'm taking it out", and walked on. On my next time walking past, my name was asked for so they could complain about my "attitude".

chris89

Established Member
Nothing you can do overal sadly.

But generially when the Guard/ Train Manager says remove bags from seats as you could be charged a single ticket for it they generally move quite quickly after.

Chris

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As with others if there are other seats available I don't see the issue. Personally if I'm on a train where at least 50% of the seats are free then I'll put my bag next to me as it's just easy to get into and to a degree keep an eye on it (though you'd have to be pretty bold to make off we a bag that was a foot or so above my head!). Of course if the train starts to fill up I'll move it (normally before anyone has even thought about asking me).

Loey

Some of the replies on here make my heart sink.

How, exactly, do you know when a train is crowded ? Do you walk through each of the carriages to see ? Or do you stick your nose in a book, pretending not to know what's going on ?

Unfortunately this just reinforces my view that it is pure selfishness, nothing more.

What is so difficult about putting your bag in the luggage racks ? Is it really that big a chore ?

If it helps your fellow passengers, why not do it ? Why force people to ask you to move your bag ???

trentside

Established Member
I also don't have a problem with putting my bag on a seat if the train is relatively empty. If the train fills up I'll move it to the luggage rack, my lap or the floor.

On a related note, I did see some passengers on an EMT service place all their luggage and coats onto two unreserved seats opposite them. They were approached as we were departing Sheffield by the TM who told them to move all their luggage - they protested, and were told there was a luggage rack just behind them and one in the next carriage if there wasn't enough room.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How, exactly, do you know when a train is crowded

If around half the seats in my carriage are empty and there is no-one left walking through obviously looking for seat then I would say as far as I can tell the train isn't crowded. If there are other carriages with standees in them then it's up to them to walk to the emptier carriage to find seats and if they do so and the carriage I'm in starts to get full then I'll move my bag.

Really it isn't hard. I've been operating like this for years and no-one has ever had to ask me to move my bag yet and I've not got dirty stares that suggest people are thinking "selfish wotsit" so I don't see the problem.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Some of the replies on here make my heart sink.

How, exactly, do you know when a train is crowded ? Do you walk through each of the carriages to see ? Or do you stick your nose in a book, pretending not to know what's going on ?

Unfortunately this just reinforces my view that it is pure selfishness, nothing more.

What is so difficult about putting your bag in the luggage racks ? Is it really that big a chore ?

If it helps your fellow passengers, why not do it ? Why force people to ask you to move your bag ???
How do I know? I've got eyes.

Yew

Established Member

Try getting something out a bag in a luggage rack. And on a train that isnt busy Its not really helping a fellow passanger is it, as they usually would prefer to sit alone.

SS4

Established Member
This thread seems to be recurring

They're not banned from doing so because it would be largely impossible to enforce. My opinion is that as long as your effects aren't dirty there is no issue unless the train is full and by full I mean that your carriage is full - if everyone wants to cram in the back coach and leave the front deserted why not put my bag on a seat? That's not my problem if they have a coach A aversion
Overhead racks are often too small for my bag

ole man

Can i ask..If you reserve a seat and somebody is sat in your seat and the train is packed, what happens if they refuse to move?

A member of my family was told to get lost by a passenger who was sat in there seat from London Euston. The guard did nothing, said just claim it back.

It wasn't until my family member threaten to pull emergency cord that the guard actually kicked the passenger out.

This shoudn't happen, why don't TOC's do more to look after people who have reserves there seats/

Yew

Established Member
Also, thinking about it some northern services have no tables, so I have sometimes used a plastic bag as a table cloth, and had some food (maybe a sandwich and a pack of crisps) on top of it on services where everyone had a seat

SS4

Established Member
Can i ask..If you reserve a seat and somebody is sat in your seat and the train is packed, what happens if they refuse to move?

A member of my family was told to get lost by a passenger who was sat in there seat from London Euston. The guard did nothing, said just claim it back.

It wasn't until my family member threaten to pull emergency cord that the guard actually kicked the passenger out.

This shoudn't happen, why don't TOC's do more to look after people who have reserves there seats/

That's an entirely different situation though. IMO the guard/TM should get them to move unless reservations are suspended for whatever reason.

387star

On Moderation
Once on a 442 my Dad asked if he could sit at a vacant seat on which a man had placed some sort of mascot and he refused saying it was taken

That could be a fair enough joke but he was serious maybe drunk though

DaveNewcastle

Established Member

I'm guilty as charged.

I often put my bag on the adjacent seat. But (as others have said) I only do this if I see that the train has plenty spare capacity, such as lots of other seats available next to a window and/or with a table. I often keep my bag on the adjacent seat all the way home, but as there's usually only 0 to 6 other people in the whole coach, then I really don't see the problem.

Conversely, when I travel on busy services, then, even if I have been lucky enough to find 2 adjoining empty seats, then I ALWAYS remove my bag on arrival at the next station. I think I'm right in saying that I've only had to be asked once to move the bag and felt very very stupid that time for not having remembered to do so on arrival at the station.

With that one expection (which has left its mark!) I really can't see the issue here. But perhaps you travel on quite different routes with quite different types of passengers - I will agree that the provision ion some of the commuter lines is quite different from the long distance journeys I tend to make. Clearly if this is something that has annoyed you then you must be travelling on trains that are so well loaded with passengers that bags on seats should be removed at every station (or at least those stations where normally more passengers get on than get off).

ole man

How often are reserved seats suspended?. And what notice do TOC's have to give?

WestCoast

Established Member
Also, thinking about it some northern services have no tables, so I have sometimes used a plastic bag as a table cloth, and had some food (maybe a sandwich and a pack of crisps) on top of it on services where everyone had a seat

You make your own table on a Pacer...:D

Generally, if you ask a fellow passenger politely to remove their bag, 9/10 times they will do it no questions asked. If they make a fuss or worse, then they're probably not worth sitting next to...

Obviously, it depends on the route, time of day e.t.c, but that is what I reckon about it.

SS4

Established Member
How often are reserved seats suspended?. And what notice do TOC's have to give?

I couldn't tell you how often but AFAIK they don't have to give notice. Certainly I only found out when I turned up at BHM one day for my train (to Paignton :( ) to find that the wrong stock had been delivered and 1st was full.

If it does happen you are entitled to your reservation fee back (all £0.00 of it) or, if you choose not to travel a full refund

Loey

Ok - maybe I didn't explain things very well.

I travel on a commuter route in & out of Kings X.

I am talking about people who board the train at Kings X, at peak time, and put their bag on the seat next to them, sometimes 10 minutes before the train is even due to depart.

Is that ever acceptable ? Would it not be reasonable for them to put their bags in the luggage racks until at least the train has departed from the station ?

SS4

Established Member
Ok - maybe I didn't explain things very well.

I am talking about people who board the train at Kings X, at peak time, and put their bag on the seat next to them, sometimes 10 minutes before the train is even due to depart.

Is that ever acceptable ? Would it not be reasonable for them to put their bags in the luggage racks until at least the train has departed from the station ?

I would say it's not acceptable because the balance of probabilities suggest that the train will get full. By all means if the train has left then bring them down.

It's done because when faced with a choice between sitting next to someone with a bag or someone without the latter is chosen more often (in my experience) and some people would rather stand than ask them to move it. The inflated self-importance of many London commuters (esp in the City) cannot be understated either

ole man

Depends how big there luggage is, if your sat have way down carriage nobody wants to leave there luggage out of eye sight.
What do you do if all luggage racks are full??

Laptops,shoppimg bags do not count that is just plain rude and should be told to move them

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . .
at peak time, and put their bag on the seat next to them
That does make it clearer. (We probably pass each other quite often, then, but you will be boarding a busy FCC train, and I will be boarding a semi-busy Easy Coast train.)

No, your fellow travellers should NOT be behaving in that territorial manner which is clearly an attempt to gain more space for themselves in what is always a busy service. In those circumstances, your grievance is justified.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Sometimes as I go through the train with my trolley, I'll notice a bag on a seat and, especially if we're coming up to a busy interchange like Chester, Shrewsbury, Crewe or the like, I'll mention politely "You may have to move your bag if the train gets busy at the next stop" and usually they'll respond in the affirmative that this is an acceptable expectation.

Failing that, if there are people standing and looking forlornly down the train, I will go and stand next to a seat with a bag placed unnecessarily on it, wave and say "Seat free here!". A little emotional blackmail can be a good thing sometimes.

On most modern trains, there is adequate space above, below and between seats for most luggage, bags and similar sundries.

A seat is for an arse, not an arsehole.

As for reservations, they must be honoured. I once had a bloke ask me "Where am I going to sit now?" when I asked him to move from a reserved window seat where the ticket had not been placed correctly. I pointed to the seat NEXT to it, the aisle seat, which was not reserved. He childishly protested. It's not as if the poor young girl who'd reserved the seat was completely blocking the window.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Good man michael, will look out for you next time im on ATW

Cheers.

It's not about making passengers uncomfortable, but it's about the greater good. You've all got to get from point A to point B. That's what public transport is all about. I think some people forget that it's a communal experience that everyone on the train has to endure in order for them to express their right to freedom of movement.

I also think some people forget that not every train has a privileged first class section, and that sharing a seat with someone is not socially distasteful.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I do tend to put my bags on the seat next to me, but if I see the train filling up or someone asks me, then I'll move it. People who leave their stuff on the seats even when they can see other people having to stand annoys me to no end.

On most modern trains, there is adequate space above, below and between seats for most luggage, bags and similar sundries.

Of course, many of use don't have modern trains, and so have hardly any space for luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.