• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seatbelts on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrat

I didn't think Electras could do anything above a slight curve at 125mph
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
also, ICEs, TGVs, AVEs and Shinkansen don't have seatbelts. Why should the british be different?

I dunno exactly what you would define as more than a slight curve but there seems to be a bit of a prominent one just after Hitchin going north and the train definately flies round it at 125!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I dunno exactly what you would define as more than a slight curve but there seems to be a bit of a prominent one just after Hitchin going north and the train definately flies round it at 125!
Yes. And there's probable a hundred or more similar curves on comparably busy and fast lines. There are what, fifty? or so high speed services through there every day with on-board crew serving drinks and soup by then northbound, not to mention guards, cleaners and many passengers and the equivalent southbound.

The "train definately flies round it at 125" because it can, and there's no good reason why not!

LE Greys

Established Member
Yes. And there's probable a hundred or more similar curves on comparably busy and fast lines. There are what, fifty? or so high speed services through there every day with on-board crew serving drinks and soup by then northbound, not to mention guards, cleaners and many passengers and the equivalent southbound.

The "train definately flies round it at 125" because it can, and there's no good reason why not!

At least 80 each way, I'm not entirely sure. Hatfield is 115 IIRC, but 125 at Hitchin, Offord, Markham, Bawtry and quite a few other places. Partly helped by superelevation, but MkIII and MkIV suspension is very good. Eurostar is even better, but that was designed for 186 mph on even greater superelevation. That's actually quite noticeable at Little Wymondley, where the fast lines are at least 2 degrees steeper than the slows.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
[off topic]
I've heard that too *knows what you are on about*
It stands to reason and I'm not sure if its sarcastic or not
Theres also another as to why aircraft lights are turned off on night flights too
[/off topic]

I have been required to land in the brace position and can honestly say it certainly didn't make me feel any safer approaching touchdown!

I've heard the "sarcastic" reason for the brace position and it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Not heard the one about the aircraft lights though - please enlighten :D

causton

Established Member
I have been required to land in the brace position and can honestly say it certainly didn't make me feel any safer approaching touchdown!

I've heard the "sarcastic" reason for the brace position and it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Not heard the one about the aircraft lights though - please enlighten :D
Don't know if it's the same one but I heard it was in case the plane crashed it would take the eyes time to adjust to night vision!

tony_mac

Established Member
the brace position does actually make a big difference to head injury statistics - I assume your face doesn't hit the seat in front nearly as hard, and there is less chance of being hit in the back of the head by flying debris.

There was an Australian accident report where only one passenger on a small flight was looking out of the window; he saw trees and adopted the brace position - he was the only survivor.

MCR247

Established Member
I was reading a book where basically a plane crashed over the atlantic and they were told to do the brace position, and there was a 11 yr old kid sat in a seat and he was in the position, with his head against the seat in front, but the guy behind was very fat and couldn't get into the brace due to his belly, so when they hit the water, the guys head hit the seat in front at 700mph, crushing him :( At least it wasn't real

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well both aren't exactly famous for the quality of their journalism tending to towards sensationalism rather than actual facts/news. Also the Express irritate me because they can't accept Diana died in an accident, as for the Mail Clicky Clicky.

LE Greys

Established Member
I was reading a book where basically a plane crashed over the atlantic and they were told to do the brace position, and there was a 11 yr old kid sat in a seat and he was in the position, with his head against the seat in front, but the guy behind was very fat and couldn't get into the brace due to his belly, so when they hit the water, the guys head hit the seat in front at 700mph, crushing him :( At least it wasn't real

Not especially easy to do an instant stop from 700 mph, even if you hit solid granite (this has happened, mountains have a habit of hiding in clouds). The thing that usually saves people if something goes wrong is the aircraft touching down with the nose up and the wings level. As they say, the chances of survival are inversely proportional to the angle of arrival. High angle of arrival, low probability of survival.

I hope you weren't reading this book on board an aircraft. I once saw someone reading Debt of Honor on a flight once. It has a picture of a 747 crashing on the front page. He was getting some very strange looks. :shock:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well both aren't exactly famous for the quality of their journalism tending to towards sensationalism rather than actual facts/news. Also the Express irritate me because they can't accept Diana died in an accident, as for the Mail Clicky Clicky.

I know exactly what you mean. They seem to live by the motto "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". :roll:

Sapphire Blue

Is this "sarcastic" brace position reason the same "cynical" reason we were "told" in dental school?
I.E. it makes the bodies dental records easier to identify.

Established Member
I'm surprised it wasn't a Ms J Doe seeing as it was in the express :lol:

It sounds like something from Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells ;)

Is this "sarcastic" brace position reason the same "cynical" reason we were "told" in dental school?
it can also mean that your neck breaks because of the force of the impact.
No-one's ever survived a crash whilst using a life jacket onboatrd an aircraft...
If it's inflated when in the aircraft and it lands on water, it will trap you inside if the doors are under the water. Problem is, people panic in the heat of the moment, inflate them inside the plane and subsequently drown.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

No... Apparently it's cheaper for the airlines to pay compensation for dead passengers than for badly injured ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.