• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"See it, say it, sorted"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
They seem to have scaled back the security announcements of late, having replaced it one day with 3 messages per hour about non folding bikes banned to Moorgate at all times.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They seem to have scaled back the security announcements of late, having replaced it one day with 3 messages per hour about non folding bikes banned to Moorgate at all times.

Yes, I've noticed less waffle of late. Has the threat level dropped (in favour of the more current threat level from lunatic dictators on both sides of the Atlantic)?

fowler9

Established Member
Yes, I've noticed less waffle of late. Has the threat level dropped (in favour of the more current threat level from lunatic dictators on both sides of the Atlantic)?

I guess it became apparent that people were more likely to be killed by their own government (Or Americas) or a jogger pushing them under a bus so they gave up. :D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If you see something that doesnt look right:

1. Thats a 4 car voyager on a 7 car HST working, bugger not right, not to mention crouded and horrid.

2. A passenger at a Scotrail station hugging an empty bottle of Tesco Own Label Whisky and morning another part of his soul which just died after the 4th rerun of the Dreary patronising woman from controll delivering the BTP message in a manner better suited to addressing aparticularly dim whitted 5 year old at a funeral

yes, the Saltire version of this announcement really is worse than Atos Anne.

I too have little faith in BTP and also feel the announcement is worded in such a way that it sounds really patronising and therefor dums down the point.

If it just said something like if you have any non urgent concerns or issues then text the BTP on whatever. This would be fine.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
If you see something that doesnt look right:

1. Thats a 4 car voyager on a 7 car HST working, bugger not right, not to mention crouded and horrid.

2. A passenger at a Scotrail station hugging an empty bottle of Tesco Own Label Whisky and morning another part of his soul which just died after the 4th rerun of the Dreary patronising woman from controll delivering the BTP message in a manner better suited to addressing aparticularly dim whitted 5 year old at a funeral

yes, the Saltire version of this announcement really is worse than Atos Anne.

I too have little faith in BTP and also feel the announcement is worded in such a way that it sounds really patronising and therefor dums down the point.

If it just said something like if you have any non urgent concerns or issues then text the BTP on whatever. This would be fine.

Correct on every count. Bravo.

johntea

Established Member
I'm not particularly a fan of the 'catchphrase' but regardless surely it should be a general thing rather than limited to the railway network / BTP anyway?

There are many places where I may come across something suspicious!

12CSVT

Established Member
It's still infinitely better than the sinister 'Tracks are for trains not for playing games. Please don't trespass' that seems oddly much louder than all other announcements at Leeds station.

Nothing like as bad as those puerile 'Please don't flush old phones, junk mail, goldfish etc etc down the toilet' announcements on class 390s

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I actually really enjoy the Virgin toilet announcements!
I do however fear that it will, to fit in with UK rail standard very soon be downgraded to Do it, whipe it, flush it, with a Now wash your hands youn manky so and so as an afterthough, all delivered by the earlier alluded to misery from Scotrail's controll centre, seriously WTF did they find her from?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The object of the message is clear: That you should report anything you see that is suspicious and to reassure you that telling the authorities is the right thing to do. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Is that your decision?

clearly not - but it is obvious why the message is being broadcast and why they will continue. The level of threat to this country is high. Railways are a potential target and calling something in could make a difference. What is the issue?

I think this every time I hear that damn announcement.

If you see something that doesn't look right, speak to a member of staff

"Excuse me, but I'm sure that the man next to me on the 07:52 made a mistake in today's intermdiate-level sudoku puzzle."

It clearly isnt designed for that :roll: However it is designed to encourage you to contact the authorities if that man wasn't doing a suduko but was viewing jihadist material on his phone

But the announcement does annoy me. The "doesn't look right" bit and the "see it, say it, sorted" slogan seem childish and a bit like the sort of thing a marketing department might come up with when misjudging its audience. And then I think that it's quite probably done deliberately to resonate with children and the less bright, which is a reasonable enough thing to do, which makes it more annoying. And then I get annoyed with my own annoyance at something so trivial.

that's exactly what it is - a simple, memorable marketing slogan designed to lodge in your brain and encourage a behavioral response.

I'm not particularly a fan of the 'catchphrase' but regardless surely it should be a general thing rather than limited to the railway network / BTP anyway?

There are many places where I may come across something suspicious!

then use the advice beyond the railway and call it in.

Last edited:

gallafent

(in favour of the more current threat level from lunatic dictators on both sides of the Atlantic)?

*Pacific? ;) (well, unless taking the scenic route … OK, they're on both sides of both the Atlantic and the Pacific … drawing a great circle from Pyongyang to Washington DC actually goes over the Arctic Ocean as it turns out … geometry on the surface of a sphere, grumble, mutter :)

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
The object of the message is clear: That you should report anything you see that is suspicious and to reassure you that telling the authorities is the right thing to do. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

clearly not - but it is obvious why the message is being broadcast and why they will continue. The level of threat to this country is high. Railways are a potential target and calling something in could make a difference. What is the issue?

The problem is that the message is a "one size fits all" policy that is totally inappropriate at many of the locations where it's constantly repeated. Yes, there is a miniscule chance of a terrorist attack at a major London station but does anyone seriously think that Al Qaeda are going to bomb some unstaffed halt in a remote part of Wales for example?

Also I'm sure I'm not the only one who hears the catchphrase as "see it, say it, sort it", which implies that if you do see something suspicious, you should remove it yourself, which would be more dangerous than ignoring it.

I'm sure these pointless and patronicing announcements are the reason why the majority of us wear headphones when passing through stations, which means we don't get to hear those rare announcements that we actually need to know!

mpthomson

The one reason it could be changed is if the BTP were indundated with texts from people who've "seen something that doesn't look right" but is in fact totally trivial.

That's actually the desired effect. If people are prepared to report trivial things then there's a much greater chance of anything sinister being reported and dealt with.

Security services don't have an issue with trivial things reported in good faith.

mpthomson

A few years back I accidentally left a large metal frame rucksack on the last Liverpool to Manchester train when I got off at Warrington Central (I had dozed off and just jumped up and got off without my bag). I pressed the emergency call button in the station because there were no staff about and basically got told off and asked why I had pressed the emergency call. I told them it was to let them know there was a huge metal framed rucksack left on a train and that it was nothing to worry about since they seem to have 24/7 announcements in the station about such things. They told me not to worry and to contact lost property the next day. The illusion of safety coupled with the constant fear mongering of the press. The bag never turned up and there were no stories about a bag being destroyed in a controlled explosion. Clearly they (The powers that be) are not that bothered.

A 'few years ago' is not now in terms of the security threat, which is extremely high at present.

mpthomson

No, it still remains as Severe and Heightened. It went up to Critical for four days after the Manchester bomb, but has been Severe since then.

mpthomson

The problem is that the message is a "one size fits all" policy that is totally inappropriate at many of the locations where it's constantly repeated. Yes, there is a miniscule chance of a terrorist attack at a major London station but does anyone seriously think that Al Qaeda are going to bomb some unstaffed halt in a remote part of Wales for example?

Also I'm sure I'm not the only one who hears the catchphrase as "see it, say it, sort it", which implies that if you do see something suspicious, you should remove it yourself, which would be more dangerous than ignoring it.

I'm sure these pointless and patronicing announcements are the reason why the majority of us wear headphones when passing through stations, which means we don't get to hear those rare announcements that we actually need to know!

My bold, much higher than miniscule, I see the briefings regularly. It's also worth pointing out that the Manchester attack was actually a terrorist attack on a major, Manchester station as much as it was on the Arena. The bomber could easily have detonated the device on the station concourse that he's just walked across.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

No they are not going to. But someone suspicious could set off on a from any station to carry out such an attack.

its actually see it, say it, sorted in order to avoid that very idea

http://www.btp.police.uk/latest_news/see_it_say_it_sorted_new_natio.aspx

The majority of people don't wear headphones and they aren't pointless announcements. I honestly don't understand the majority of complaints about this subject.

mpthomson

I guess it became apparent that people were more likely to be killed by their own government (Or Americas) or a jogger pushing them under a bus so they gave up. :D

Really? How many of its own citizens has the UK government killed in the manner you state in the last 15yrs then?

Sorry I am fed up hearing this soundbite seemingly everywhere on the national railway network. Its everywhere on trains and at stations. I know its purpose is commendable, but its just the way I feel.

I agree. It is very annoying. It is completely pointless and ridiculous. This announcement (along with all other safety and security announcements) doesn't make any difference. I highly doubt anyone is more likely to report something just because they hear an announcement. Whether or not someone will report suspicious bags and behaviour is not going to change just because of a constant repetitive automated announcement. The only reason they have these announcements is probably to make the railways look good like they are trying to do something to improve safety and security but really they couldn't care less (if they were really so worried they would keep Guards on all trains).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I agree. It is very annoying. It is completely pointless and ridiculous. This announcement (along with all other safety and security announcements) doesn't make any difference. I highly doubt anyone is more likely to report something just because they hear an announcement. Whether or not someone will report suspicious bags and behaviour is not going to change just because of a constant repetitive automated announcement. The only reason they have these announcements is probably to make the railways look good like they are trying to do something to improve safety and security but really they couldn't care less (if they were really so worried they would keep Guards on all trains).

that is a silly posting.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why? Surely the announcement could be considered to be rather silly as i explained in my post?

no - you offered conjecture based on your own bias. There is no basis in fact to what to say. Potential terrorist activity has been foiled by normal people ringing in suspicious behaviour on the railway.

The last sentence is completely wrong and rather insulting to people tasked with trying to keep the railway safe and secure.

But I am sure you know better than them.

no - you offered conjecture based on your own bias. There is no basis in fact to what to say. Potential terrorist activity has been foiled by normal people ringing in suspicious behaviour on the railway.

The last sentence is completely wrong and rather insulting to people tasked with trying to keep the railway safe and secure.

But I am sure you know better than them.

But these people who have reported suspicious activity and helped foil terrorist plans would have surely reported it whether or not there was an automated announcement telling them to do so? Is there any evidence that these automated announcements like this have any effect on encouraging more people to report potential terrorist activity?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
But these people who have reported suspicious activity and helped foil terrorist plans would have surely reported it whether or not there was an automated announcement telling them to do so? Is there any evidence that these automated announcements like this have any effect on encouraging more people to report potential terrorist activity?

Of course there isn't. People who travel regularly just zone out when they hear them and those who aren't used to hearing them may panic unnecessarily. Either way they serve no useful purpose.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

the intention is to increase the willingness of people to report suspicions as many people simply don't want to get involved or don't like/trust the police. it is about letting people know that if they see anything they are worried about they can bring it to the attention of someone in authority and it will be investigated.

it is also part of an effort by the authorities to develop a culture of vigilance. They want us as decent citizens to be their eyes and ears on the ground. I know many people think the authorities are omnipotent but they really are not. They are spread thin and are trying to counter 100's of possible plots at any one time.

Of course there isn't. People who travel regularly just zone out when they hear them and those who aren't used to hearing them may panic unnecessarily. Either way they serve no useful purpose.

that isnt true - but I know I wont ever convince any of the experts here of the true point of these announcements.

Last edited:

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Potential terrorist activity has been foiled by normal people ringing in suspicious behaviour on the railway.

Some examples of this being?

Obviously you would not be able to talk about ongoing investigations, though I seriously doubt you have any inside knowledge of any, but you could give examples where these potential terrorists have been tried and convicted.

paddington

So last week apparently there was a suspicious-looking bag left at a London station and somebody reported it to station staff. Apparently the first thing the staff member did was to go up to the bag and open it which led to everyone around screaming at him not to touch it (which caused me to look up and wonder what was going on).

I also hear it as "sort it" which made me confused about the intent of the message until I saw it in writing. If I see something truly suspicious the first thing I am going to do is to get as far as possible before I say anything to anyone.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
So last week apparently there was a suspicious-looking bag left at a London station and somebody reported it to station staff. Apparently the first thing the staff member did was to go up to the bag and open it which led to everyone around screaming at him not to touch it (which caused me to look up and wonder what was going on).

The response of station staff to such a report is governed by training and procedure. Reporting a suspicious bag doesn't automatically lead to a station shut down and the bomb squad bringing their wheelbarrow to perform a controlled explosion.

I also hear it as "sort it" which made me confused about the intent of the message until I saw it in writing. If I see something truly suspicious the first thing I am going to do is to get as far as possible before I say anything to anyone.

It isnt very clear at all is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.