• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Serco for Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
In my trip in April the displays were saying Edinburgh in Dundee as well. Don't think that was the case before.
I saw this as well, however on both of my trips in May they were saying Euston.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Perhaps, Aberdeen are able to show the train as Euston because it is the beginning of the journey and therefore doesn't require tracking on the service.
Yes, but Inverness is the starting point of the service to Euston, the Aberdeen and Fort Bill portions join onto it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam_Hendry

On March 31st the screens in Fort Bill were showing Edinburgh as per the CS pictures on their Facebook page.

The Fort William Sleeper runs as a seated passenger service to Edinburgh Waverley for boarding passengers only, outwith the Euston service. The seated Mk2 coach behind the lounge car is provided for the sole purpose of the Edinburgh service which is also why its uncoupled from the main sleeper going southbound (and vice versa) shortly after arrival.

marks87

Established Member
The Fort William Sleeper runs as a seated passenger service to Edinburgh Waverley for boarding passengers only, outwith the Euston service. The seated Mk2 coach behind the lounge car is provided for the sole purpose of the Edinburgh service which is also why its uncoupled from the main sleeper going southbound (and vice versa) shortly after arrival.
Well, it's not the sole purpose of the seated coach. It also conveys seated passengers from Fort William who are going on to Euston - they just need to change to the Aberdeen seated coach at Edinburgh.

Established Member
Where do you board the train, is it the service from Inverness?

Perhaps, Aberdeen are able to show the train as Euston because it is the beginning of the journey and therefore doesn't require tracking on the service.

I know scotrail are updating all the customer displays so it may be that some are more technologically advanced than others and can be manipulated to show Euston. My understanding, admittedly a few years old, was the reason I gave above about headcodes and train tracking.

It was brought to light when some Manchester utd fans missed the sleeper at Westerton because it left from platform 2 and had EDB as destination. When did Celtic last play man utd in Glasgow? That was the up to date info then. I assume some screens at some stations must still be of that vintage.

Portion working has been going on since screens were invented without this alleged limitation on headcode changes! Fake destinations can be entered as free text even if the systems won't play ball should it be necessary. Sounds far more like plain slopiness on Scotrail's part (they will still control the CIS) and is certainly the case at Kirkcaldy from recent trips - the sleeper man that hsa to come out and tell everyone that the next train is the sleeper and screen is wrong certainly held the same opinion.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Certainly since the franchise split the boards at Aberdeen have said Edinburgh every time I have seen them.

CallySleeper

Established Member
I've been through Aberdeen two or three nights in the past week and the boards definitely definitely said Euston.

Also, had a MkII 'lounge car' on 1M16 (Inverness) last night vice the usual arrangement. Any ideas?

I owe you all an apology - by 'Aberdeen' read 'Inverness'! I've been through that many stations in the last week...

Established Member
87002 reported back out tonight heading north. I don't think there is a 92 shortage unless lots have been failed over the weekend though.

East Coast as well, bit withered I can't do it but I think work would probably know exactly what was going on if I fail to show tomorrow!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
87002 reported back out tonight heading north. I don't think there is a 92 shortage unless lots have been failed over the weekend though.

East Coast as well, bit withered I can't do it but I think work would probably know exactly what was going on if I fail to show tomorrow!

And back south on 1M11 tonight. I believe the last time a "seven" (002 in fact!) worked into Glasgow was in July 2009

petegunstone

I called the Caledonian Sleeper Guest Service Centre this morning to book a bike onto a train. I was on hold for 15 minutes before I spoke to one of their 'Ambassadors', who was very helpful, but had to put me back on hold to move to another desk to book my bike onto the train.

All this would be so much easier if their website offered the possibility of booking a bike reservation. It's a shame that they are not offering this facility as other National Rail providers now do so.

Kingsman

I haven't managed to speak to anybody for the last couple of months, since I'm not prepared to hang on for more than 10 mins., and whenever I ring they are "experiencing high demand." They no longer take Calsleeper Flexi berth reservations over the phone anyway, but leave you to fill in a so-called "email form" and hope that there is still availability after the 24 hrs (or worse at weekends) that it takes them to respond. Their replies by email always say that they hope their website will improve on flexi tickets "in a week or so", but I now wonder. It's a strange way to treat their best customers, each having invested over £1300 on the flexi tickets.

petegunstone

I haven't managed to speak to anybody for the last couple of months, since I'm not prepared to hang on for more than 10 mins., and whenever I ring they are "experiencing high demand." They no longer take Calsleeper Flexi berth reservations over the phone anyway, but leave you to fill in a so-called "email form" and hope that there is still availability after the 24 hrs (or worse at weekends) that it takes them to respond. Their replies by email always say that they hope their website will improve on flexi tickets "in a week or so", but I now wonder. It's a strange way to treat their best customers, each having invested over £1300 on the flexi tickets.

Agreed. I left a comment, largely based on my above post on their FB page. I've read lots of useful insights on the CS product here, and I hope that we all do not hold back in giving clear, helpful feedback directly to the company. I sometimes wonder if these forums are read by TOC etc representatives seeking such insights and feedback...?

Last edited:

rameses3

How long has this been in place? I was looking to book some flexi berths in the near future.....

Essexman

Established Member

Agree. I've found the same. I was told that they deal with the Flexipass bookings in the evening after the phone line has closed. I was concerned when I had to change a booking at short notice because of proposed strike last week that others doing the same on individual tickets might have taken up all the berths before they dealt with my email. Turned out Ok but doesn't seem the best way to treat the most regular customers.

petegunstone

Online bike reservations have now been added to the CS website! When you select the number of passengers, you can also select the number of bikes (as well as pets, which may have been there before, but I didn't notice...). I'm yet to actually try booking using this, but well done, CS!

sprinterguy

Established Member
No air con or lighting as far as Edinburgh then? Or was the class 67 able to be coupled inside to still provide train supply to the carriages?

Was a replacement 67 able to be sourced to work the corresponding northbound working, or did 37516 work back as well (presumably 37516 is up there on Jacobite standby duties, so will have had to work back somehow)?

Had the option of booking on the Fort William sleeper tomorrow night - It'll be sods law if it turns out that I've turned down probably my only opportunity for class 37 haulage on the train :roll:, though I imagine they'll have sourced a replacement loco by then.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
No air con or lighting as far as Edinburgh then? Or was the class 67 able to be coupled inside to still provide train supply to the carriages?

Was a replacement 67 able to be sourced to work the corresponding northbound working, or did 37516 work back as well (presumably 37516 is up there on Jacobite standby duties, so will have had to work back somehow)?

Had the option of booking on the Fort William sleeper tomorrow night - It'll be sods law if it turns out that I've turned down probably my only opportunity for class 37 haulage on the train :roll:, though I imagine they'll have sourced a replacement loco by then.

Big question re air con/lighting as 67007 left behind at Fort William. Another 67 found to work north this morning with 37516 attached rear.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Further to this the other portions (Aberdeen and Fort William) were held at Edinburgh to connect after Fort Williams 80L. 67004 ran light from Carstairs to work 1Y11 and 47847 replaced on Carstairs portions.

Established Member
More issues overnight, 1M16 100 late due to a shunting riot which then meant the train needed to go into Carstairs to turn the stock (90021 forward)and then the Edinburgh 'portion' of 1S26 terminated at, err, Glasgow.

Hopefully this doesn't mean my plan to do a desperate leap after work for 002 south will be in vain...

Is 002 on the Lowlands this week down to a 90 problem or 92 problem...it seemed as if the 92s had been sorted a couple of weeks ago?

Furrball

you no longer need to have to email to book using flexipass but my partner who had an email confirmation for her journey EUS to ABD turned up to find that there was no record of booking. fortunately the on board staff managed to resolve.

Established Member
Is 002 on the Lowlands this week down to a 90 problem or 92 problem...it seemed as if the 92s had been sorted a couple of weeks ago?

Not really sure. The 90s were sent back to DB which proved optimistic and at least one is now back on hire. 92014 is reportedly restricted to ECS duties, 044 is similarly restricted duties now after Thursdays incident, although 92010/92023 were headed for Willesden on Friday.

At Glasgow last night shortly before we realised the bar car was bust and locked out (disaster!)

Attachments

• 120615_87002_Cen.jpg
    120615_87002_Cen.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 198

marks87

Established Member
I passed through Leuchars last night while the up Aberdeen portion was stopped across the platform. 67004 was up top, and it seems the vinyled set is now split up - there was one new livery mkIII in the middle, with the rest all in old livery.

Not really sure. The 90s were sent back to DB which proved optimistic and at least one is now back on hire. 92014 is reportedly restricted to ECS duties, 044 is similarly restricted duties now after Thursdays incident, although 92010/92023 were headed for Willesden on Friday.

At Glasgow last night shortly before we realised the bar car was bust and locked out (disaster!)

Sweet night shot at Glasgow she looks so at home :D

The fact that the 90s have been sent back and the other 2 92s from Brush have come back don't fill me with much hope but here's hoping. The incident you mean the 1m16 late departure from Edinburgh was it down to 92 problems?

The pantograph reset procedure is just ridiculous :lol:

Failed Unit

Established Member
On my recent trips, a few things i have fed back.

Good:
The food considering the quality of the equipment on the train.
Staff seem to have upped their game.

Bad:
Purchase of tickets, iPhone app doesn't work and the site didn't work with is
Same point - you can no longer buy a Linlithgow to London ticket at the sleeper rate.

Glad the have fixed the PIS and it no longer say Carstairs at Edinburgh.

Kingsman

you no longer need to have to email to book using flexipass but my partner who had an email confirmation for her journey EUS to ABD turned up to find that there was no record of booking. fortunately the on board staff managed to resolve.

Thanks, Furrball, do they, as with the previous management, give you a booking reference over the phone? I can't find anything on the site about online booking but don't need a booking at the moment (already booked to
Inverness next Wednesday) , so will be interested to discover what happens when I do.

tobytronic

Rode the Sleeper to Aviemore last night and now on Highland Chieftain travelling South.

Rode Padd to Penzance 2 nights ago so almost a back to back comparison.

Servo

Food choice ok but fish pie was boil in bag std with mash plopped on std. I'm sure logistics pose a challenge so should have gone for haggis.
Dining Car - too hot (as per WAG Express on Mon pm).
Diner cleared by Crewe but was very busy.
Staff great but we're so busy they kept forgetting orders etc.
Bed good in single ( better quilt pillows than Night Riv).
Freebie kit pointless if travelling as you are better set up yourself if you're wise.
Attendant very helpful though
Toilets for m/f separate.

So, my fave........ Night riviera except for bed having seen the highland sleeper as well.

Staff on Highland Chieftain top notch in First this am as well.

Last edited:

Established Member
87002 lined up for the Inverness again this week, 92014 seemingly still restricted to local workings and 044 hasn't been sent south for repairs yet.

Hopefully a few coaches have been to the lathe this weekend to sort out square wheel disease which seemed to be spreading across the sleeper fleet.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Hopefully a few coaches have been to the lathe this weekend to sort out square wheel disease which seemed to be spreading across the sleeper fleet.
Oh no! I hope they get it sorted soon, I've an Inverness-London journey coming up soon with an all day meeting to follow that I really should be awake for :). How bad are they, not close to setting off any alarms I hope?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Despite 87002 working 1S25 on Sunday and Tuesday this week, tonight's 1S25 is a dyson. :(

Could 87002's extended stint at working the sleeper now be over?

Status
Not open for further replies.