• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severance roll-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretsquirels

On Moderation

Anyone witnessed a scheme open at their TOC?

Customer facing or middle management roles first on the block?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member

Anyone witnessed a scheme open at their TOC?

Customer facing or middle management roles first on the block?

There are rumours that operational traincrew won't be eligible due to a general shortage of drivers and guards. Otherwise each application gets taken on it's merits, apparently.

We've had an email from HR basically saying "more details to follow". Network Rail on the other hand have got the ball rolling in some areas of their business with management grades.

They've already started playing in some areas with a recruitment freeze - a station local to me has numerous unfilled vacancies and they've steadily moved to having most trains self dispatch there.

secretsquirels

On Moderation
So if rumours are to be believed, traincrew are exempt; if you read the Williams review, the want catering and cleaning in-house as opposed to third party, which would suggest as a whole those areas aren’t set for massive culls.

All of the talk is about reducing “duplication”, so are we talking control, hr, finance, management?

Efini92

Established Member
The only train crew that will get it are the ones that are always off sick.

The exile

Established Member
So if rumours are to be believed, traincrew are exempt; if you read the Williams review, the want catering and cleaning in-house as opposed to third party,
While we’re at it, can customer service help lines be brought not only “ in house” but “ into area”?

the sniper

Established Member
It'll be interesting to see how many jump at it. Terms are seemingly quite inferior to those in PTR&R?

LowLevel

Established Member
Perhaps waiting for the details to be published instead of speculating might be an idea ;)

The scheme rules have been published, I've got a PDF file with them in. They might not have been formally distributed yet but they're certainly out there

bramling

Veteran Member
There are rumours that operational traincrew won't be eligible due to a general shortage of drivers and guards. Otherwise each application gets taken on it's merits, apparently.

We've had an email from HR basically saying "more details to follow". Network Rail on the other hand have got the ball rolling in some areas of their business with management grades.

They've already started playing in some areas with a recruitment freeze - a station local to me has numerous unfilled vacancies and they've steadily moved to having most trains self dispatch there.

Must admit I can’t claim to be massively surprised at this. Just taking my local station staff numbers have become a bit bloated over the last decade, mainly with gate line staff, yet it’s still a lottery whether the booking office will be open. This compares rather differently to the 1990s when the station would generally have just two staff on duty at most times.

Being brutally honest, this heavy staff presence doesn’t really contribute much to the average journey experience, especially when they aren’t able to do much during disruption.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Being brutally honest, this heavy staff presence doesn’t really contribute much to the average journey experience, especially when they aren’t able to do much during disruption.
And they are powerless at doing any real kind of revenue protection these days. Hard core fare evaders know they can't be stopped/touched by them !!

High Dyke

Established Member
Been unveiled to Network Rail staff, but only to certain staff - and not frontline maintenance or operations (yet). However, management communication on the matter has led to some confusion amongst staff, and raised questions for recently recruited signallers about their future.

Exscrew

Been unveiled to Network Rail staff, but only to certain staff - and not frontline maintenance or operations (yet). However, management communication on the matter has led to some confusion amongst staff, and raised questions for recently recruited signallers about their future.
What questions have been raised regarding recently recruited signallers ?

High Dyke

Established Member
What questions have been raised regarding recently recruited signallers ?
Personally I've had questions about job security from those just starting their railway career, trying to get on the property ladder etc. Equally from those that would leave, given the opportunity, but not on the terms of this proposal.

ggbrf

On Moderation
Personally I've had questions about job security from those just starting their railway career, trying to get on the property ladder etc. Equally from those that would leave, given the opportunity, but not on the terms of this proposal.
What questions?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
My understanding is TOCs are awaiting details of VSS, but that it is coming imminently.

skyhigh

Established Member
My understanding is TOCs are awaiting details of VSS, but that it is coming imminently.
From what I've heard it'll come soon and it'll be over quickly. If you're interested in taking it, it's worth considering now how much you'll want to get to take voluntary redundancy as you won't have much time to think when it comes out.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
From what I've heard it'll come soon and it'll be over quickly. If you're interested in taking it, it's worth considering now how much you'll want to get to take voluntary redundancy as you won't have much time to think when it comes out.

Early September seems to be the consensus. And I'm far too young for that!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The details have already been published, it's just a question of thrashing out who is eligible and the exact way it'll work.

And if the TOCs have an ounce of common sense, they won't let their traincrew situation get even worse than it already is at most TOCs.

Crazyb

Some of the Avanti drivers are holding out on their pensions to see what the RIRG comes up with....Though train crews are quite safe, the pax numbers have come down, and on rural route's, you could possibly have voluntary redundancies, if the service has reduced.

To be honest, if any of us oldies where offered a package, you would see a massive queue.

LowLevel

Established Member
Some of the Avanti drivers are holding out on their pensions to see what the RIRG comes up with....Though train crews are quite safe, the pax numbers have come down, and on rural route's, you could possibly have voluntary redundancies, if the service has reduced.

To be honest, if any of us oldies where offered a package, you would see a massive queue.
Our rural routes have the most passengers :lol: I've been used plenty of local and regional trains over the last week or two and they've been generally well used.

dk1

Veteran Member
One of my managers laughed at me when I mentioned it. Said he was licking his lips at the prospect but being a driver I was too valuable a commodity so didn’t have a hope in hell.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
One of my managers laughed at me when I mentioned it. Said he was licking his lips at the prospect but being a driver I was too valuable a commodity so didn’t have a hope in hell.
Licking his lips at what? At least you are safe from the chop then. Good to know your company values you

Qwerty133

Established Member
Must admit I can’t claim to be massively surprised at this. Just taking my local station staff numbers have become a bit bloated over the last decade, mainly with gate line staff, yet it’s still a lottery whether the booking office will be open. This compares rather differently to the 1990s when the station would generally have just two staff on duty at most times.

Probably another example of where incompetent middle management have allowed too many 'flexible working requests' amongst the staff at a station* meaning they have more staff than they know what to do with in the middle of the day Tuesday-Thursday but don't have enough staff to provide the advertised service during early mornings, evenings and weekends.
* Which is absolutely not the fault of individual staff members whose hours have been adapted through the use of such requests.

Efini92

Established Member
Not if you can take that & the pension. It’s a win win. Remember it’s voluntary.
It’s unlikely any drivers will get it. If you don’t have a poor sickness record then you’ve got no chance.

UTV

If you look around most TOCs are actively recruiting drivers. WMT are actively training new drivers and still advertising for qualified and trainee drivers. They are so short, plus with a lot of retirements over the next year, I think drivers are safe. Don’t know about guards though?

LowLevel

Established Member
If you look around most TOCs are actively recruiting drivers. WMT are actively training new drivers and still advertising for qualified and trainee drivers. They are so short, plus with a lot of retirements over the next year, I think drivers are safe. Don’t know about guards though?

Even if you wished to move away from guard operated trains you can't just click your fingers and do it, it's a couple of years worth of work to implement. In some areas the role of the guard may come under imminent scrutiny, in others I imagine they'll just keep doing what they do as it's not worth changing it. Either way guard recruitment is continuing everywhere.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
It’s unlikely any drivers will get it. If you don’t have a poor sickness record then you’ve got no chance.
Good! I am pleased to hear that drivers are likely to be kept as we need them to drive our trains. Anyone looking to retire anyway may be disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.