• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield station platform question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantsman1205

I'm getting the 11.55 from St Pancras to Sheffield 18 January, it gets in at 14.00 @ Platform 5, i'm then going to Chapletown, do I have enough time to get from platform 5 to 4A? Train leaves @ 14.06 ........I will have luggage.

I have got my tickets already. NRE tells me to get a later train for the chapletown connection.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daniel3982

It's not a huge station so it's feasible if there's no delays. Just up the footbridge & across one platform set.

AlexS

Established Member
Not even that, if you come in on 5 you are right next to 4A, no stairs involved - the platforms on the next island over are 6 (through), 7 (bay) and 8 (through). There is a chance of the train from St Pancras arriving on 8 instead but I would have thought you were OK. If you are at the front of the train when you arrive into 5 it's literally right in front of you as you step off.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Not even that, if you come in on 5 you are right next to 4A, no stairs involved - the platforms on the next island over are 6 (through), 7 (bay) and 8 (through). There is a chance of the train from St Pancras arriving on 8 instead but I would have thought you were OK. If you are at the front of the train when you arrive into 5 it's literally right in front of you as you step off.

6 Minutes at sheffield is doable, ive done -2 connection before.

From 5 to 4A you need less than a minute youll be fine.
(i should know chapeltown is my home station)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you sit near the front of the train, probably in around the 2nd carriage, this would be a cross-platform interchange.

hantsman1205

6 Minutes at sheffield is doable, ive done -2 connection before.

From 5 to 4A you need less than a minute youll be fine.
(i should know chapeltown is my home station)

Thanks YB,

Actually could not find platform 5 on NRE map for Sheffield station.

Can not fault fare price, £1 + 50 pence booking fee megatrain/EMT.........St Pancras to Sheffield then £2.90 Sheffield to Chapletown .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you sit near the front of the train, probably in around the 2nd carriage, this would be a cross-platform interchange.

Thanks Max,

Can I ask what a cross platform interchange is?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks YB,

Actually could not find platform 5 on NRE map for Sheffield station.

Can not fault fare price, £1 + 50 pence booking fee megatrain/EMT.........St Pancras to Sheffield then £2.90 Sheffield to Chapletown .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Thanks Max,

Can I ask what a cross platform interchange is?

An island platform, so you can just cross straight from one train to the next! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-platform_interchange.

John @ home

Established Member
could not find platform 5 on NRE map for Sheffield station.
It's shown as platform 5a and 5b.

This convention is used in a number of larger stations where more than one train can be in a long platform at the same time. The platform is denoted by the number, and the part of the platform containing a particular train by the letter. In Sheffield 'a' is the south part of the platform and 'b' is the north part.

In the largest stations, it's even more complex. Leeds uses letters a, b, c and d. For through platforms, 'a' is furthest west and 'd' is furthest east.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just looked it up, 1 more question how come NRE did not mention this connection? Is there a min default of 7 minutes for a connection i have read somewhere?

Minimum connection varies by station but in this case you're right it is seven minutes (see here) which means that NRE (and other journey planners) will not show connections that are shorter than that (including yours as a result).

Status
Not open for further replies.