• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should Class 800 be ordered for the Cross Country franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby_farman

80x have many faults but they are absolutely, definitely, 100% better than Voyagers in just about every way other than the one that's the easiest thing to change in an afternoon using a spanner (I don't dare say it :D ).

My point exactly, and that's not even counting the ability to run off 25kv

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

toby_farman

You obviously don't understand the concept of the Miles between Technical Incidents.

They are recorded by the TRUST system and are - by definition - failures/delays which occur in passenger service. Failures identified on depot don't count.

I feel like I'm bad-mouthing my own team here, but I feel 80Xs and the whole concept of Bi-modes are new to the railway and any failures in passenger service must surely be down to the fact that they're a bit like "prototypes" and not that they're bad trains or anything

samuelmorris

Established Member
I feel like I'm bad-mouthing my own team here, but I feel 80Xs and the whole concept of Bi-modes are new to the railway and any failures in passenger service must surely be down to the fact that they're a bit like "prototypes" and not that they're bad trains or anything
Essentially you are correct - as new trains to the UK network they are unreliable compared to existing stock, only the fact that GWR's HSTs were marred with unreliable GWATP equipment led them to actually become an improvement (I can't explain why that's the case, but it's certainly been reported). Both 800s and 802s on GWR are barely reaching 10,000 MTIN when other intercity fleets are above 20,000. They still have a way to go yet. Voyagers are unloved by the travelling passenger community (a fact that the new WCML operator cited in their own press release as a reason for their replacement, pure PR I'm sure, they would have gone anyway) but they are still far more reliable than 80x units at present.

Monty

Established Member
I have an answer for you - the PACER

Like it or not, the Pacer saved branches from closure when BR was broke. It did exactly what it was designed to do and was cheap.

I feel like this thread has gone full circle now, because it's been established that the HSTs will be replaced on most mainline services with in the next few years and it's unlikely the Voyagers (on XC at least) are going nowhere for the time being. Unless someone comes up with a blank cheque it is just wishful thinking.

coppercapped

Established Member
The Class 73 electro-diesels ('bi-modes' in current jargon) built by English Electric were introduced in 1962.

The bi-mode concept is now 57 years old. It is not new to the railway.

And you have no idea - and neither do I - whether the very poor Miles between Technical Incidents number of the 80x family is due to the bi-mode concept itself or to poorly engineered doors, brake circuits, software or whatever in this particular design of train.

Anyway, at the moment they are not a good advertisement for Hitachi. This does not mean that they will not improve with time but the first ones ran in the UK in 2014, 5 years ago, and they have been in daily service for 2 years. I would expect better reliability by now.

To Monty in post https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-country-franchise.162455/page-8#post-4253710.

I agree!

Last edited:

S-Bahn

Class 80x/bi-modes make sense for the Cross-Country routes if the electrification is expanded and fills in some gaps in the middle, so diesel running is only required for the slower bits at the end (e.g. Exeter - Penzance, Southampton - Bournemouth). So bi-modes should be used on the principle that their primary running is electric.

(IMHO - Newbury to Exeter should be on the agenda for electrification too for the London to SW IET's too).

Last edited:

Tobbes

Established Member
Class 80x/bi-modes make sense for the Cross-Country routes if the electrification is expanded and fills in some gaps in the middle, so diesel running is only required for the slower bits at the end (e.g. Exeter - Penzance, Southampton - Bournemouth). So bi-modes should be used on the principle that their primary running is electric.

(IMHO - Newbury to Exeter should be on the agenda for electrification too for the London to SW IET's too).
At some point wiring all the way to Penzance will surely be on the agenda - eliminating the bi-modes should make considerable through-life savings, as well as the environmental benefit.

quantinghome

Established Member
Here's my two cents...
Short term: All class 22X trains go to cross country to give much needed capacity increase. Replacements for WCML 221s and MML 222s are already ordered so this is eminently achievable. The trains are due a midlife refit so the interior issues can be sorted out. Plus the lower depreciation of older trains should make it more cost effective for XC. I don't think it could afford new stock tbh.
Medium term: rolling electrification programme to include completing GWML and MML which move to full electric only service. Bi-modes move to cross-country which now has more wired miles shared with GWML/MML.
Long term: rolling electrification programme continues allowing pure electric service on cross-country. By this point, if HS2 is built, these will probably be more semi-fast commuter stock than intercity.

PTR 444

Established Member
Just need to finish off the electrification of Coventry - Oxford and Reading to Basingstoke, then the Manchester Picc - Bournemouth service will be running entirely on electrified track*

* I know Basingstoke - Bournemouth is third rail which would require fully electrified 800s to have a shoegear, but I think getting away with diesel operation for that section should be fine ;)

The Ham

Established Member
Just need to finish off the electrification of Coventry - Oxford and Reading to Basingstoke, then the Manchester Picc - Bournemouth service will be running entirely on electrified track*

* I know Basingstoke - Bournemouth is third rail which would require fully electrified 800s to have a shoegear, but I think getting away with diesel operation for that section should be fine ;)

In which case why not opt for a dual voltage train with 110mph capability and release 9 units to strengthen other services.

If you used something like the 444's (but with a bit more luggage space) you could have 300+ seats in a 5 coach train. However I'd be inclined to run nearly all services as full length (10 coaches) to soak up demand.

It'll mean a fleet of about 20 units but with space to fill you could do things like have fewer cheap tickets on the other services and cheap tickets on these services.

toby_farman

Where do we begin... Whilst yes, the Cross Country is in desperate need of additional capacity, having to travel from Birmingham New Street to get back home to my parents from university, the majority of the time the Class 220/221s just cannot cope with the increasing passenger numbers.

Having said all that, it would be desirable for a new fleet of brand new trains to be introduced, however it is not going to happen given the DFT have continued to issue direct awards to Arriva for the most recent XC tender. Given the whole mess that is the rail franchising system and with the aftermath of the Williams Review, it will be a long way until XC sees any brand new stock. I personally see the WCML Class 221s and EMR Class 222s transferring in the next few years.

The Voyagers I would not count just yet as life-expired and compared to the majority of inter-city trains in operation, they are often the most reliable when looking at the Miles per Technical Incident figures. Voyagers are not bad trains but that's as far as I will go with that comment!

Its often been mentioned that refurbishing the Class 220/221s to a similar specification to the Class 68 and Mark 3 sets will not deliver the amount of capacity needed, and would be completely wasted considering the Chiltern Main Line tops at 100mph. More recently, Chiltern are modifying their Mark 3s in preparation for the PRM-TSI deadline at the end of the year. The Class 68s and Mark 3s are definitely not going anywhere just yet!

:rolleyes: That was because of the higher leasing cost that First/MTR did not want to pay for the Class 707s compared to the Class 701s on order...

Successive governments, not just the Conservatives but also Labour that have got the railways wrong. It was the Labour government that ensured that major rail franchises were let as zero-growth franchises and didn't announce any major electrification projects under their tenure

In your opinion! The Class 800s are now in the second year of service with GWR and are criticised for their poor comfort in comparison to the HSTs they have replaced. If you are saying its just "teething problems", 2 years is pretty damning.

So you comparing an image dating from the late 1970s/early 1980s to a Class 800 today??? Hardly a fair comparison...

But since you asked, I would take the HST.

Again, that is your opinion.

I cannot stop chuckling at this comment :lol:

What about the XC HSTs? Even if the 22Xs don't need immediate replacement the Intercity 125s will need replacement in a couple of years... What do you suggest to replace those trains?

samuelmorris

Established Member
What about the XC HSTs? Even if the 22Xs don't need immediate replacement the Intercity 125s will need replacement in a couple of years... What do you suggest to replace those trains?
In the short term nothing, theirs are already PRM modified. In the mid-term, replacement by the expected transfers of 22x units from EMR and the WCML operator.

Speedbird96

As posted above, nothing in the short term as the HSTs are being modified to operate beyond the PRM-TSI deadline. Why replace something so soon after excess money has been spent for them to continue service beyond 2020?

Long term is dependent on the next operator of XC, the Class 221/222s will need new homes once WCP and EMR replace them with their new fleet of trains.

PartyOperator

The Manchester-Bournemouth train is the Bristol-Manchester train so it would need the Temple Meads to Bromsgrove bit to be completed. There’s still more than enough wiring to justify bi-modes in any case.

Energy

Established Member
Coventry to Oxford would require electrification of a couple lines, the Chiltern main line from Leamington to Banbury at least (this should definitely be electrified all the way though), the Cherwell line and the Coventry to Leamington line, a short line which despite being built around 2010 is only single track despite it has 30 freight trains a day (last figures from 2009 but I don't think it has changed) on top of the hourly Leamington to Nuneaton and the hourly XC train. Guess this shows the government's lack of investment in some areas...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The Manchester-Bournemouth train is the Bristol-Manchester train so it would need the Temple Meads to Bromsgrove bit to be completed. There’s still more than enough wiring to justify bi-modes in any case.
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to the diagrams interworking perhaps, because that can fairly easily be changed...

ptreanor

Whilst I grudgingly accept that bi-mode mode trains have their in some benefits in some applications, please let it NOT be another Hitachi product. They appear to have a bit a monopoly in this respect from what I can see. Could it be that Hitachi have influence over the DfT, surely not!

Kite159

Veteran Member

And the fast lines to be wired between Kings Norton & Longbridge ;)

Whilst I grudgingly accept that bi-mode mode trains have their in some benefits in some applications, please let it NOT be another Hitachi product. They appear to have a bit a monopoly in this respect from what I can see. Could it be that Hitachi have influence over the DfT, surely not!

Maybe it's Hitachi because they have a working bi-mode product

Energy

Established Member
Kenilworth Station was built last year and could have double tracks, the line itself started was opened in 1854 and Kenilworth to Leamington was double tracked in 1884 and some other bits, but not all, later. It was all single tracked by British Rail during the Beeching cuts (I don't understand why either as it was used a lot in the 60s when the WCML was being electrified as an alternative route with the leamington to rugby line, which was also cut and now is mostly a siding)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't think the coventry to leamington line needs to be double track, to allow for class 802s, does it?
Not a direct requirement to run that type of train.

But the long term aim of XC is to run both their Southeast services via Coventry, and using the existing wires as far as Coventry would be a logical benefit of hypothetical XC bi-modes. That 2tph would require further redoubling AIUI, now that the local Kenilworth service is in place.

Energy

Established Member
Not a direct requirement to run that type of train.

But the long term aim of XC is to run both their Southeast services via Coventry, and using the existing wires as far as Coventry would be a logical benefit of hypothetical XC bi-modes. That 2tph would require further redoubling AIUI, now that the local Kenilworth service is in place.
Agreed, lots of the time the WMR service is late, this seems likely to be because of Kenilworth being single tracked and lots of freight trains pass, maybe these clog up the line and cause the WMR service to get delayed?

Status
Not open for further replies.