• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I have a day rail trip for pleasure on my conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The problem with the station facilities is they won't open unless they can turn a profit. Given the owner of most of them (SSP) had the initial reaction of laying off it's staff as soon as the crisis started this is unlikely to occur any time soon.

That's the danger of relying on one overpriced contractor for everyrthing.

Meanwhile, yesterday I enjoyed a full english fry-up al fresco, courtesy of Huddersfield station buffet !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
Are the first class lounges open @ Piccadilly and Euston?

greyman42

Established Member
Travelling by train is one thing - whether you’re allowed to go trainspotting is another thing. Anyone got any idea whether you will be told to leave the station or not?
I saw some on York station on Thursday and there did not appear to be a problem with anyone.

Announcement at Manchester Piccadilly this afternoon still saying ‘please only travel if you REALLY need to’, (emphasis on the ‘really’) which is now out of date.

As an aside, a notice on this Northern 150 states ‘please don’t eat or drink on board’, which isn’t going to convince long distance/hot weather discretionary travel either.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Presumably you are allowed to travel to and within Wales for leisure purposes on Great Western (and Avanti?) but not on TfW?
I have not risked it yet?

Welsh rules apply to all TOCs not just TfW, even if they don't enforce them.
I will have to drive over the border (Hooton, Chester) to start my journeys for peace of mind until that changes.
The "Welsh Covid Rules Apply" and "Stay Home" signs are still up on the Welsh road borders, though most of the roped off car parks and paths are now open.
Last weekend the motor cycling hoarde was out again in droves, so I guess Wales is "open" to all intents and purposes, despite the signs.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Announcement at Manchester Piccadilly this afternoon still saying ‘please only travel if you REALLY need to’, (emphasis on the ‘really’) which is now out of date.

As an aside, a notice on this Northern 150 states ‘please don’t eat or drink on board’, which isn’t going to convince long distance/hot weather discretionary travel either.
There was a PA on my train last night - anyone eating please discard the waste into a bin when you alight. Not "don't eat" so miced messages from the same company?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The "Welsh Covid Rules Apply" and "Stay Home" signs are still up on the Welsh road borders, though most of the roped off car parks and paths are now open.

There's still a few Stay Home signs knocking about in England. I get the feeling they were just whacked out quickly without properly recording where they had been put.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I will have to drive over the border (Hooton, Chester) to start my journeys for peace of mind until that changes.
Last weekend the motor cycling hoarde was out again in droves, so I guess Wales is "open" to all intents and purposes, despite the signs.
The Welsh Regulations don't place any restrictions on travelling for leisure purposes, much as TfW would like you to think they do.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

A correspondant who lives near the A458 by Salop , described almost evacuation of Dunkirk type convoys of caravans , camper vans and holiday traffic this am heading towards Wales. (whereas in April you could have walked in the middle of the road with no personal risk) ....but I assume the trains are not carrying many holidaymakers. Anyone have any rail observations.?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Presumably you are allowed to travel to and within Wales for leisure purposes on Great Western (and Avanti?) but not on TfW?
TfW admit you are allowed to, but their policy is to discourage it; see https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...e-journeys-allowed-or-not.206316/post-4675220
Travelling by train is one thing - whether you’re allowed to go trainspotting is another thing. Anyone got any idea whether you will be told to leave the station or not?
There should be no issue with this, but of course your presence on a station is entirely at the operator's discretion; see this thread:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/spotting-at-main-line-stations.205467/post-4672392
I agree it is out of date, though bizarrely some people appear to think we should all stay home even now; see: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/you-must-stay-at-home-as-much-as-possible.206689/
Eating and drinking is allowed, and some train companies are providing on-board catering now; see:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ng-of-lounges-at-stations.206391/post-4663758

If anyone wishes to report on a trip they have made, or enquire about any trips they are planning to make, we'd like to hear from you! Please use the Trip Planning & Reports section :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.