• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should ScotRail take over operation of the Chieftain and Aberdonian?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder if the OP can establish an evidential base from LNER rather than posters on this board for the first sentence of the first post.

1. This is the Speculative forum. I am speculating.
2. I hardly think LNER are going to release such commercially sensitive information to the public, are they? Thus we can only speculate based on how they treat those services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

liamf656

May be far fetched but what would be needed for LNER to take on the current Scotrail/XC paths? I'd assume you can transfer some staff over, although they'd need traction/route learning. You'd also need more trains to run the extra paths

Topological

Makes sense if they use the same stock, but what are the chances that the Scottish government would go for 80x?

It would make more sense for Scotland to go for a battery EMU option that was 100mph and designed for the services in Scotland. However, such a train would be less use running down the ECML. In that case the split makes sense again.

However, if Wales is any indication the devolved operators like to go for something grander than what they need rather than the sensible option. There is no way you need Mk4 to stop at Cwmbran, Pontypool and New Inn etc. Therefore it would not surprise me to see Scotrail choose something more akin to what is operating on the ECML.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm always perplexed when I hear "so and so company doesn't really want to run this or that service".

Tough. They're paid to run the service they're contracted to run, whether they like it or not.

NSE

Established Member
Is there any reason why the west coast operator didn’t ever do any 1tpd extensions to places north of Edinburgh. It’s not my patch so it’s a genuine question.

Looking at the NR map, appreciate the track layout doesn’t naturally encourage via Glasgow. I don’t think you’d be able to run via Glasgow Central LL? Otherwise you’d have to forgo a Glasgow stop and reverse at Edinburgh, like the sleeper, which would cut out the big market of Glasgow. I know there are often little spurs and connections not always shown on the map so didn’t know if that was possible.

I’ve probably answered my own question there! But just thinking, Virgin & Avanti have the diesel stock, as did BR before.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why the west coast operator didn’t ever do any 1tpd extensions to places north of Edinburgh. It’s not my patch so it’s a genuine question.
At one point, the CrossCountry 'Devon Scot' provided the Aberdeen to West Coast link, but it should be noted that the InterCity West Coast operation was slower to London, and didn't have diesel trains, without the rigmarole of having to change locomotives. When CrossCountry focused on the East Coast route, the link to the West Coast was lost.

Part of the Aberdeen and Inverness operation comes down to the East Coast route having had suitable diesel trains, and making use of stock that would otherwise spend the marginal time out of use in the depot before running trains to and from London that can't come / go to the south.

SteveM70

Established Member

Looking at the NR map, appreciate the track layout doesn’t naturally encourage via Glasgow. I don’t think you’d be able to run via Glasgow Central LL? Otherwise you’d have to forgo a Glasgow stop and reverse at Edinburgh, like the sleeper, which would cut out the big market of Glasgow. I know there are often little spurs and connections not always shown on the map so didn’t know if that was possible.

I’ve probably answered my own question there! But just thinking, Virgin & Avanti have the diesel stock, as did BR before.

It used to happen - BR ran the Clansman Euston to Inverness via Mossend. I think it ended in about 1983/84

A S Leib

Grand Union (open access) wants to run four trains per day from Stirling to Euston without reversing, via Larbert, Greenfaulds, Whifflet, Motherwell, Lockerbie, Carlisle, Preston, Crewe, Nuneaton and Milton Keynes Central. I'm not sure if there's never been a direct Preston – north of Central Belt service since privatisation (excluding the Sleeper) though.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It used to happen - BR ran the Clansman Euston to Inverness via Mossend
That stopped running in the 1980s though, as the Highland Chieftain was a better way of continuing the link with London from Inverness.

Grand Union (open access) wants to run four trains per day from Stirling to Euston without reversing, via Larbert, Greenfaulds, Whifflet, Motherwell, Lockerbie, Carlisle, Preston, Crewe, Nuneaton and Milton Keynes Central. I'm not sure if there's never been a direct Preston – north of Central Belt service since privatisation (excluding the Sleeper) though.
There is quite a big question as to how viable that operation would be without the Glasgow / Edinburgh stops if it happens.

A S Leib

There is quite a big question as to how viable that operation would be without the Glasgow / Edinburgh stops if it happens.
Agreed – Motherwell's not far from Glasgow but Wolverhampton and Tame Bridge Parkway stops didn't save Wrexham & Shropshire.

I've started a new thread on the topic.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If the issue is that only a limited number of LNER crews sign north of Edinburgh, switching to Scotrail would have the same problem, though it would instead be limited crews signing south of Wallyford/Dunbar/Drem/wherever.

Sharing crews between the operators would solve the problem, with the minor inconvenience of setting it up in the first place. Come to think of it, there should be more sharing of crews and jobs across the network... maybe they could even all be employed by the same organisation? We could call it something like "British Railways"?

Nah, that'd never work and would be extremely unpopular! ;)

zwk500

Veteran Member
If the issue is that only a limited number of LNER crews sign north of Edinburgh, switching to Scotrail would have the same problem, though it would instead be limited crews signing south of Wallyford/Dunbar/Drem/wherever.

Sharing crews between the operators would solve the problem, with the minor inconvenience of setting it up in the first place. Come to think of it, there should be more sharing of crews and jobs across the network... maybe they could even all be employed by the same organisation? We could call it something like "British Railways"?

Nah, that'd never work and would be extremely unpopular! ;)
No need for a unified organisation, plenty of cross-crewing arrangements around the network today. Either for disrupted working (route conducting for diverted trains) or simply because it makes economic sense for both parties to share the route.

Clansman

Established Member
I don't see why they are needed, especially the Inverness service. Most people travelling end to end would fly surely or take the sleeper?
Then you have the expensive crewing arrangements which requires the crew to stay in hotels etc.
Terminate LNER at Edinburgh then run an extra Scotrail service to Inverness instead
Have you ever used this service?

It is absolutely rammed half the time. Most seats taken by Perth and full and standing from Edinburgh or Newcastle is common place, particularly during the summer.

Starmill

Veteran Member
1. This is the Speculative forum. I am speculating.
Yes, perfectly reasonable, of course. But people are also entitled to speculate that one day of cancelled services due to bad weather means very little indeed in context.

cle

Established Member
If anything, the Inverness service could be 2 or 3 times per day. It's hugely popular, and a lot of the leisure/tourism/sports industries in the Highlands rely on it. As do places like Stirling and Perth having directs to London (and Newcastle/York).

Falcon1200

Established Member
Should Scotrail take over etc; Absolutely not, as these trains form part of the regular interval service between Edinburgh and London. Also, I witnessed first hand how difficult it was when Scotrail Control had to manage the sleeper services south of Carstairs, when problems arose in places where they had neither staff nor resources. Introducing (yet) another operator onto the ECML would create more issues than it would solve.

liamf656

Should Scotrail take over etc; Absolutely not, as these trains form part of the regular interval service between Edinburgh and London. Also, I witnessed first hand how difficult it was when Scotrail Control had to manage the sleeper services south of Carstairs, when problems arose in places where they had neither staff nor resources. Introducing (yet) another operator onto the ECML would create more issues than it would solve.
I don't see anyone suggesting that Scotrail ran south of Edinburgh unless I'm mistaken?

NSE

Established Member

I don't see anyone suggesting that Scotrail ran south of Edinburgh unless I'm mistaken?
The OPs thought process was ScotRail currently run HST’s which are suitable for Aberdeen/Inverness to London. They are due for replacement in the not too distant future, if they replace them with similar stock of an InterCity style nature, then why not run them to London? One of the reasons LNER’s operation is a bit of a pickle is there are no staff depots in the highlands. This means there is a risk of delay if the LNER is late to Inverness as the driver who brings that in will stay in a hotel before passing to Aberdeen the following morning to take an Aberdeen LNER departure. Therefore the minimum 12 break between shifts can cause knock on delays to the Aberdeen service if the Inverness one is delayed. Therefore, by switching to ScotRail operation you remove that. Of course, you could put the risk at the other end as ScotRail wouldn’t have a depot in London and the same happens in reverse, but the OP suggested some possible interworking with Caledonian Sleeper crews. This would give you a base of ‘Scotland/London’ capable staff that could work both trains. But someone raised that freight drivers do the sleeper working so that may not be workable.

I agree with others, the most suitable method of operation would be ScotRail staff crewing them north of Edinburgh.

Or, someone else mentioned there is demand for a second Inverness service. You could add 1 more tpd Inverness - Kings Cross and extend Aberdeen services to Inverness via Keith, which would give Inverness 5tpd, 3 via Aberdeen and 2 via the usual route. Would this be enough to open up a small operation in Inverness? I know the lines have single track sections and so timetables are limited, but I’d envisage they’d replace the ScotRail service already there.

Ramblings over haha

The Puddock

This means there is a risk of delay if the LNER is late to Inverness as the driver who brings that in will stay in a hotel before passing to Aberdeen the following morning to take an Aberdeen LNER departure. Therefore the minimum 12 break between shifts can cause knock on delays to the Aberdeen service if the Inverness one is delayed.
While that was true for many years, it doesn’t happen any more since some rostering changes earlier this year. The same Newcastle lodge link driver who works the evening Down service works the Up service in the morning with a reduced (minimum 9 hour) rest in Inverness.

Aberdeen services are covered seperately from the Inverness working by a mix of Edinburgh and Newcastle drivers, with the latter lodging.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wouldn't suggest 5 car HSTs for it as they're rather a waste of paths, but if they're replaced with 5 car 80x or similar (e.g. CAF bimodes) as is likely a pair of those would be suitable.

liamf656

Yes, this was what I was suggesting.
Ah that makes sense, I interpreted it as Scotrail running all journeys north of EDB and LNER running all journeys south of EDB (Crossocuntry fitting in somewhere in this plan too).

I'm not fully familiar with those services however I believe LNER/XC should keep running the services they have, if not increase the service north of EDB as they do seem to be well loaded. As these are already the two main Intercity operators that run from the ECML to Aberdeen and Inverness, it would probably be cheaper to increase these as opposed to Scotrail running services south of Edinburgh

Failed Unit

Established Member
Wasn’t this one of the options when the IET was getting looked at was to split at Edinburgh.

1. Splitting for Edinburgh for Aberdeen / Inverness was viewed as too risky in terms of one of the portions running late.
2. Dropping off 5 coaches. But it was viewed this would result in over-crowdiing.

It would be interesting if a 2nd service to Inverness would work, giving the chance for people to arrive in Inverness from England mid-morning / early afternoon. But that isn’t best use of IET and probably wouldn’t get much demand in the winter.

Gaelan

Absolutely not, as these trains form part of the regular interval service between Edinburgh and London.
This argument of course also works the other way: LNER shouldn’t run the Aberdonian, as it forms part of the regular interval service between Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

paul1609

Established Member
So it seems from other threads that LNER really don't want the Highland Chieftain and Aberdeen service.

Should ScotRail consider taking it over instead? If they order 5 car 80x or similar to replace the HSTs as seems not unlikely when the HSTs go off lease in 2030, they could use double sets of these and work the crewing alongside the Caledonian Sleeper, which while it isn't part of ScotRail is a fellow ScotGov operation so it should be feasible for them to work together.
I think we would need to know how much subsidy is actually provided for these services. I cant help but think that expensive bi mode high speed trains trundling around Scottish Branchlines would ever wash its face if it was a fully commercial service, perhaps we should invite Grand Central to tender with their 180s?

jagardner1984

Firstly I think through services are a huge appeal to a lot of people. Severing the direct link to highlands would seem like a no no to me.

However this conversation seems like a real consequence of proliferation. Proliferation of companies, of stock types, of staff groups.

Not to be all misty eyed for the past, but there would have been a time when for example an HST could pull into a mainline station and there would be a number of routes operated from that station with staff trained in operating it. And therefore if the initial plan didn’t work, another one could be formed with comparative ease. It seems fairly natural to me for an Inverness based driver to drive a train from Inverness to Edinburgh and the return as the basis of their working day, and the concept of the entire daily Highland mainline service being dependent on one person staying in a hotel does seem rather …. Unusual.

It would seem a good goal to have for the next 20 years of rail (whatever happens organisationally) to put interoperability as a key goal for the industry. For us to stop buying fleets of 20 odd trains, and then scratching our heads with what to do with them in 10 years time, or what to replace them with. Simple products which are rolled out widely and stuck with with repeat orders for 10-20 years, with standard agreements of the sharing of staff and resources which is mutually beneficial (as presumably when LNER does fall over north of Edinburgh for whatever reason, ScotRail gets completely hammered and cannot cope with the demand).

Joe Public has little understanding or care as to who runs the trains, the concept of “brands” - particularly a series of which seem generally quite rubbish - mean little - they do not understand why when A liveried train isn’t functioning, the owner of B liveried train cannot step in to get them where they need to be.

Interoperability. That would be a great thing to aspire towards.

WAB

It would be easier for the Scottish government to just pay LNER to keep the service
The issue is that there may be a level of disruption to LNER's core service from the north of Edinburgh extensions (particularly with the increase in TSRs) which no amount of money from ScotGov could ameliorate. If ScotRail are disgruntled about the increased cancellations north of Edinburgh, they have two realistic options as I see it:

a. Discontinue the extensions and replace them with Scotrail services and a change in Edinburgh (would require the acquisition of additional units and further crew training), or
b. Encourage Scotrail to enter into an agreement to provide traincrew for north of Edinburgh LNER services, reducing the likelihood of delays due to exceeding the lodge crews' hours from the previous day and avoiding northbound cancellations stemming from anxiety about stranding Newcastle crew in Aberdeen/Inverness if the southbound journey has to be cancelled.

Another operator to consider is XC? Should they run north of Edinburgh or should their timetable slots go to either LNER or ScotRail?
There is merit to providing a daily through service down to the south-west of England and it is sensibly timed to boot. I'm just not convinced that the current method of operation is the best way of doing things? There is the morning ECS from Craigentinny to Dundee which continues to Aberdeen, and the late evening service from Aberdeen to Edinburgh. Do the loadings on Scotrail's 1A71 justify the earlier Dundee-Aberdeen service offered by XC's 2A01 which is non-stop and only arrives 13 minutes earlier? How are the loadings on XC's 1B61 - are they enough to justify a 5-car Voyager or would it be cheaper to run it as a single 158 or 170? If Scotrail crewed the XC runs on the HML, then I imagine that stabling the Voyager overnight at Aberdeen could prove cheaper than the extra mileage incurred by 5A01, 2A01 and 1B61.