• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
When I was reading the bit about you sleeping in bus shelters and walking the streets I was starting to think of the film title 'Shredder Come Home'.
You put yourself through it for the cause there!
An interesting report Shred, the railway seems to be moving forward really well at the moment.

Cheers mate, all good fun, I can sleep anywhere ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good news on the extension being complete, I now need to go back there one day and cover the new bit as it's been many years since I last went there.

I think I know the McDonalds you did, been many a year since I last went there and didn't know it opened so late! Unless this is the one on Kingsway, the same street as various pubs and clubs, in which case it would make sense

shredder1

Established Member
Good news on the extension being complete, I now need to go back there one day and cover the new bit as it's been many years since I last went there.

I think I know the McDonalds you did, been many a year since I last went there and didn't know it opened so late! Unless this is the one on Kingsway, the same street as various pubs and clubs, in which case it would make sense

The extension at the Gwilli Tech has actually doubled the track they have, it really is amazing. The McDonald`s was the one in the main square, I think its an all nighter now?.

shredder1

Established Member
Swansea, Fishguard Harbour and Cardiff. Sunday 8th October 2017.

I woke up at the Devon View guest house on Swansea Bay at 06.00, turned the television on, had a coffee and fell asleep again until 08.00; I guess I needed it from the night before. Dawn was actually breaking by the time I got on the promenade, so I walked along the seafront and tried to find any signs of the former Swansea to Mumbles Railway, amazingly I did find 3 under bridges and part of the old track bed above a large retaining wall in the former dock area.

Like many of the old dockland areas in the UK, Swansea has also been tastefully converted into housing development and after a walk around the marina, I located the museums, including the National Waterfront Museum, which houses the last surviving front section of a Swansea and Mumbles tram, how sad that this is the only part example that has survived.

The museum didn’t however open until 10.00 and I still needed to take breakfast and catch the 10.45 boat train to Fishguard Harbour. I located the Bank Statement, a J D Weatherspoon’s establishment, converted from an old bank, I entered and ordered a large full English, which they call a full Welsh in those parts, it was amazing, you really can`t beat a Weatherspoon’s full breakfast, but there is room for improvement by adding a black pudding, take note Weatherspoon’s .

After breakfast I made my way through the city centre and up to Swansea High Street Railway station for the 10.45 boat train, I`d actually bought a Club 55 return to Fishguard on the Friday. My reason for taking this train was because I`d never been down the Fishguard line in daylight before, despite having travelled it at least 5 times in the past, I`d usually been on the Midnight train from Swansea, so this was a nice run out for me and I practically had the train to myself and indeed managed to take some daylight photographs at Fishguard.

The ferry passengers arrived however and literally took over the train, which was running back directly to Cardiff, using the Landore avoiding line and missing out Swansea. It was the day of a football match between Ireland and Wales and my train suddenly become full of drunken Irish lads, so I felt right at home, lovely lads, very friendly and it wasn’t long before I was drinking with them, in fact by the time the train reached Cardiff, not only was I half cut, but I was also singing Irish songs, which was unusual, because I don`t know any.

After staggering around Cardiff station and taking a few more photographs, I was soon on a train back to Manchester, arriving home for around 20.00, a great weekend.

https://museum.wales/swansea/

http://www.swanseamuseum.co.uk/visit-swansea-museum/tram-shed

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...57758838405.1073742877.100001125840218&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I did not know that about the tram front in the waterfront museum, I will have to make an effort to have a look next time I'm down there. I do indeed know the McDonalds you went to, and The Bank Statement is a dud Spoons (as is the other one) and not a bad one. No thanks to the black pudding though!

shredder1

Established Member
I did not know that about the tram front in the waterfront museum, I will have to make an effort to have a look next time I'm down there. I do indeed know the McDonalds you went to, and The Bank Statement is a dud Spoons (as is the other one) and not a bad one. No thanks to the black pudding though!

The Swansea and Mumbles Railway was the first passenger carrying railway in the world Tech pre dating the Liverpool and Manchester. I must admit I`m not a great McDonalds lover, but sometimes thats all you can find, in Eastern Europe we use them for the internet. We all eat Black Puddings on the East Lancs, lovely with English mustard on, but I draw the line at tripe and pigs trotters, I wouldnt give that stuff to the ferrets ;)

shredder1

Established Member
Llangollen Steam Gala. Saturday 14th October 2017.

It was largely another driving weekend for me, a leisurely drive down to Llangollen after work on the Friday evening, I`d actually managed to book the Llangollen Hostel for Friday night, just three days before, which was unusual as you can`t usually get in that one without booking well in advance. A little dearer than I`m used to at £20 for the night, but very convenient being right in the town centre, a nice accommodation, with a guitar in the communal room, so I had a few ales and a blast on the guitar before retiring to the dorm, shared with only 3 other lads, hikers.

I was up and showered for 07.00, a quick brew and down on the depot for 08.00, the staff are lovely at Llangollen and I had no problem on my early shed visit to watch the loco`s coaling up. I later returned to the station in time for breakfast in the café, which set me up for the day. I`d booked my ticket on the internet, a first for me and printed this out at work, £20 for an all-day concession rover, good value.

Boarding the first train up the line to Corwen, behind rebuilt Bullied Pacific 34053 Sir Keith Park, it was however slipping very badly while trying to leave the station, and after a few reverses, we crawled up the back out of Llangollen station. The rest of the journey went well though and we were soon arriving into the temporary platform of Corwen East. I alighted there to see what progress had been made on the new Corwen station since my last visit, it appeared to be coming along well.

I returned as far as Carrog, behind GWR 2-8-0, 2807, with 80072 to the rear. I had a look around the station shops and despite being very select with the books I buy these days, I couldn’t resist picking up two bargains, mint conditioned Oxford to Cambridge Railway, Volume 2, Bletchley to Cambridge, (1983), Bill Simpson, OPC, £3.00 and Chester Railways, the railways of Chester and Saltney a photographic history, (2015), Merseyside Railway Historic Group, Bridge Book Publications £8.00.

My next move was a train down as far as Glyndyfrdwy and later back up the line behind GWR 2-8-0, 2807 back up to Carrog, returning directly down the line to Llangollen for the last full trip of the day to Corwen behind Great Western 2-6-2 Prairie tank 5199 and returning to Llangollen double headed with Rebuilt Bullied Pacific 34053 Sir Keith Park.

After a chippy tea in Llangollen I drove back directly to Manchester, arriving home just after 19.30, a great day out.

http://www.llangollen-railway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...94511798063.1073742882.100001125840218&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm planning to finally visit the Llangollen next year, and I can't wait. It looks beautiful and even though I know the area a bit I still haven't had a run on the line yet.

Interesting to see the BB slipped itself to embarrassment. I can imagine that 5199 was absolutely suited to the task though. A very punchy tank that.
Your life is great Shred... :lol:

Ps - What did you play? Do you know any Sabbath? (Course you do) ;)

shredder1

Established Member
I'm planning to finally visit the Llangollen next year, and I can't wait. It looks beautiful and even though I know the area a bit I still haven't had a run on the line yet.

Interesting to see the BB slipped itself to embarrassment. I can imagine that 5199 was absolutely suited to the task though. A very punchy tank that.
Your life is great Shred... :lol:

Ps - What did you play? Do you know any Sabbath? (Course you do) ;)

Thanks very much Cowley, yes its a fasinating railway with an equally interesting history, a must to visit, its a regular one for me, yes lifes not bad at the moment, lol I have gigged a few Sabbath tracks over the years, brought up on Jimmy Page and Zeppelin, play all sorts, Hendrix, Vai, Satrinani, Gilbert, Malmsteen, all the classic acid rock stuff too ;)

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancashire Railway, Steam Gala. Sunday 15th October 2017.

Still tired from the drive down to Llangollen the day before, but I wanted to see the Gresley A4 60009 Union of South Africa, since it was only up the road at the East Lancs Railway. I left home later than usual and made my way to Ramsbottom sidings after purchasing a few sandwiches from Morrison`s, this would suffice as breakfast, I arrived about 10.00.

The first down the line was the magnificent Lancashire and Yorkshire A class, coming back from Rawtenstall, the next up was the Crab in LMS red livery, although I did prefer it in BR black, we next had the Hybrid Hunslet 2890 0-6-0 ‘Douglas’ on a fantastic van train into the sidings, this was followed by the star of the gala 60009 Union of South Africa, with the L & Y A class up again.

I next drove down to Sumerseat viaduct and managed to photograph the Hybrid Hunslet 2890 0-6-0 ‘Douglas’, the A Class and 60009 Union of South Africa. My next location was Burrs Bank and finally Bury Bolton Street. Nice to catch up with a few old friends and the ELR provided one of their usual excellent gala`s, well done guys, great job.

http://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...66845054163.1073742883.100001125840218&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember 'Douglas' when it was converted from an Austerity at the Mid Hants. I wondered what had happened to it.
I'm looking forward to my first visit to the ELR in a few weeks.
Will have a look your photos in a bit too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh the Llangollen Railway is excellent, I haven't been in years. 46010 was still there at the time, as was 20142, 37901 and 37240 and I can't remember which 47 it was. What a monster 37240 was when I had it, absolute animal that thing was!

I haven't done the extension west of Carrog, when it's open I'll have to go and have a ride. As Kite would call it, it would be a line of rediscovery for me. That gradient a little after Llangollen is very considerable, and Berwyn is a nice little rural shack to visit if you return.

Another trip to add to the many I want to do in 2018...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
See I dislike hostels, even though I have one coming up next month in Milan. Not through choice, it was a desperate booking with little money!

You've had a very busy time this year Shred, it won't be long at this rate until you clear all the UK preserved lines! I need most of them, but should get one of them dealt with next month at long last.

Do you have to sleep in a room with strangers in hostels? Shudder...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well yes strangers are involved I believe, but from reading his reports I reckon Shredder1 doesn't have much of a problem getting along with new people. Especially once the guitar and a few ales come out to play.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh gosh, I couldn't bear that! Sleeping with strangers! Well, what ever you like I suppose!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh gosh, I couldn't bear that! Sleeping with strangers! Well, what ever you like I suppose!

Yes I'm a bit partial to my own space too, but it does sound like a bit of chuckle sometimes.
We've got a van though which is home from home anyway and I sleep better in that than anywhere else.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
An actual van, or a caravan? Because if it is the latter than that sounds really fun! I do like caravans, used to go on short breaks to Hoseasons when I was younger.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An actual van, or a caravan? Because if it is the latter than that sounds really fun! I do like caravans, used to go on short breaks to Hoseasons when I was younger.

This:

IMG_2037.JPG
(taken from a Severn Valley train window). :)

theblackwatch

Established Member
From what I've seen, at many hostels, you can stay in a large dorm or get a smaller room for maybe one or two people - obviously a bed in a big dorm is much cheaper, so it depends on your budget and what creature comforts you want.

shredder1

Established Member
I remember 'Douglas' when it was converted from an Austerity at the Mid Hants. I wondered what had happened to it.
I'm looking forward to my first visit to the ELR in a few weeks.
Will have a look your photos in a bit too.

Yes thanks Cowley, it looks well, your your visit, if you get stuck for accomodation you are welcome to stay here if I`m in.

shredder1

Established Member
Ooh the Llangollen Railway is excellent, I haven't been in years. 46010 was still there at the time, as was 20142, 37901 and 37240 and I can't remember which 47 it was. What a monster 37240 was when I had it, absolute animal that thing was!

I haven't done the extension west of Carrog, when it's open I'll have to go and have a ride. As Kite would call it, it would be a line of rediscovery for me. That gradient a little after Llangollen is very considerable, and Berwyn is a nice little rural shack to visit if you return.

Another trip to add to the many I want to do in 2018...

Yes its a lovely railway Tech, the extension is great and makes a big difference, the new station at Corwen should be opened by next year hopefully.

shredder1

Established Member
Well yes strangers are involved I believe, but from reading his reports I reckon Shredder1 doesn't have much of a problem getting along with new people. Especially once the guitar and a few ales come out to play.

Exactly, love meeting people, you meet a lot of students and tourists sightseeing from all nationalities, I only need a bed for the night, I`m usually up early anyway, so find the hostels chep and convient, in fact I`m booked in two different hostels in Glasgow this weekend and I`m in the Czech Republic the week after, mainly in hostels for £6 a night, as long as they are clean, they are fine :D

shredder1

Established Member
Yes I'm a bit partial to my own space too, but it does sound like a bit of chuckle sometimes.
We've got a van though which is home from home anyway and I sleep better in that than anywhere else.

My daughter has a camper van and I use that sometimes, but much prefer not to be tied to a vehicle, I use a one man tent sometimes, especially if I`m walking disused railways in the middle of nowhere.

shredder1

Established Member
From what I've seen, at many hostels, you can stay in a large dorm or get a smaller room for maybe one or two people - obviously a bed in a big dorm is much cheaper, so it depends on your budget and what creature comforts you want.

I prefer 4 or 6 bed dorms really and ones that have lockers in the rooms, I have slept in many mixed ones with pretty young things running around in bras and knickers through the night, surprisingly they don`t charge extra for this, some dormers are 30 beds, I stayed in one in Bristol that big, the company was great though and I even had a jam on a guitar with one of the lads, it was a great night, lots of beer flowing, but I was meeting a woman the next day at the Avon Valley Railway, turned up with blood-shot eyes, don`t think she was impressed, :rolleyes:.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes thanks Cowley, it looks well, your your visit, if you get stuck for accomodation you are welcome to stay here if I`m in.

Thanks for that Shred. I already booked tickets (doing it in a day!)
Might take you up on that next time. Don't know if I'd get much further than your library though...