• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Bo`ness and Kinneil Railway Steam Gala. Saturday 21st October 2017.

A long weekend in Scotland was the order of the weekend. Leaving the office in Manchester at 16.00, the Metrolink back to the car which I`d left parked at Crumpsall, a drive home, dump the car and quick change, bus back to Manchester, train from Manchester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate, walk across the road to Wigan North-western and the next Virgin Pendolino to Glasgow Central.

I arrived in this beautiful Scottish City by 22.00, the Caledonian Sleeper was already sat on the platforms headed by GB Railfrieght loco 92043, and on the ecs working was class 92.

After photographing the Caledonian Sleeper, I left Glasgow Central station and bought the most expensive carton of chips in my life from the Blue Lagoon just outside the station £2.80, I asked the server if he was joking and he pointed to an unreadable small sign behind the counter, I should had thrown them at him, but I was in a good mood, so gave him the £2.80 and walked out shaking my head. It was raining, it always is in Glasgow, but I love the place and the Scottish people are a lovely. I eaten my incredibly expensive chips, (I`ve had better), and made my way to the St Enoch`s hotel for my bed for the night.

I signed in and collected my keys, but on arriving in the dorm all the bottom bunks were taken and I had ordered a bottom bunk, so had to return to reception, to which, I was instead given a 6 bed dorm on the 4th floor with en suite, and had it to myself all night.

I was up, showered and out on Glasgow`s streets by 06.00 and took a small coffee, fresh orange and egg and cheese muffin breakfast in the all night McDonalds, not by choice, but I don`t know anything else open at that time in the morning at Glasgow. I then walked through the City to Queen Street station, catching the 07.00 to Linlithgow. A bus took me out to Bo`ness and the Bo`ness and Kinneil Railway and being early gave me chance to take a few phots of the locos being steamed up and the Great Marquess being shunted around the yard, before being positioned in the bay platform to be exhibited for visitors.

A number of locos were in steam, more than advertised actually; these included the magnificent J94 68007 in BR livery, NCB number 19, Neilson Reid 0-6-0T in Thomas livery and former GWR 0-6-2T 5643 It was a fantastic gala and it had been a while since I last visited the railway. I took the first train out to the top of the line at Manuel and returned on this to Bo`ness and the café, which didn’t open until after the first train left.

I ordered a full Scottish breakfast, but it wasn’t anything to write home about, in fact probably the first and last I`ll have at the Bo`ness railway, but I expect run by volunteers and they do their best, and at least its money towards the railway. I also bought 3 books in the book shop, so much for me not buying any more books. I was additionally hoping to increase by totem fridge magnet collection with some more lovely Scottish blue ones, but they`d ran out.

I took a walk around the yard and museum, the museum being the best one on any preserved railway, it really is amazing and the yard at Bo`ness is quite sizable and houses a large collection of diesels and steam locomotives, in fact they have one of the two examples of repatriated 8F`s returned from Turkey and presently in a state of renovation, hopefully it will stay with its Turkish add on`s and livery.

I later took a second trip behind 68007 up to Birkhill on antique coaching stock, returning again to Bo`ness for my final photographs of the day. I then returned to Linlithgow by bus and took the next train in to Edinburgh Waverley to see what was stabled up on the station, also visiting the Whisky Shop, an amazing place and walking out to Castle Street to the Jessops store, as the zip had broken after 15 years on my Lowpro camera bag, but they didn’t have anything in the shop to fit a Nikon D800.

I later returned to Glasgow Queen Street, walked across to Central station and had a few local ales in the station hotel, before retiring to the Euro Hostel round the corner on Clyde Bank Road for the night. Another mix up with my lower bunk bed booking, so I was put in another dorm and given a £6.00 discount, the staff really couldnt do enough. I like the Euro Hostels and have stayed in the Newcastle on Tyne and Birmingham hostels in the past.

I had a great night in the Euro hostel, shared with 3 young Bolivian Girls, and Mexicans from LA studying at Limerick University, Ireland and visiting Scotland for the weekend and a Canadian rail enthusiast who probably knew more about BR than I did, really great people and I even got an invite for a night out in Glasgow, but I had to pass on that one, I was knackered by that time, a nice ending to a great day though, and I still had another day to trot around the Strathclyde region, I slept well again.

http://www.srps.org.uk/railway/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...=1508915255896747&notif_t=photo_album_comment

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent. Are doing other lines up that way too.
It's funny but reading your thread really brings home just how many preserved operations there are in this country.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Does the bus drop you off quite close to the BKR then? I've been told it doesn't.

Glad someone else agrees with me on the prices in chippies in Scotland, I mention it in my trip report myself (it will go up later!) and nearly fell to the floor in shock at how much two meals cost. I was told several times it's actually cheap for Scotland, but considering what we came out of there with could have bought at far more sensible prices in England, I was unimpressed. Good quality my food was, but then the chips were quite fresh. However, I'll go to Burger King next time and save myself some money, and that really is saying something...

I need to do the BKR, a job for 2018 I hope although Euro cranking takes priority over steam loco bashing! Hope your trip to Prague went well, I'm looking forward to reading about that.

shredder1

Established Member
Excellent. Are doing other lines up that way too.
It's funny but reading your thread really brings home just how many preserved operations there are in this country.

Yes just about to post my second day, although I`d done all the NR lines in Scotland

shredder1

Established Member
Does the bus drop you off quite close to the BKR then? I've been told it doesn't.

Glad someone else agrees with me on the prices in chippies in Scotland, I mention it in my trip report myself (it will go up later!) and nearly fell to the floor in shock at how much two meals cost. I was told several times it's actually cheap for Scotland, but considering what we came out of there with could have bought at far more sensible prices in England, I was unimpressed. Good quality my food was, but then the chips were quite fresh. However, I'll go to Burger King next time and save myself some money, and that really is saying something...

I need to do the BKR, a job for 2018 I hope although Euro cranking takes priority over steam loco bashing! Hope your trip to Prague went well, I'm looking forward to reading about that.

Thanks very much Tech, yes the bus drops you right outside the railway site from Linlithgow mate. On chip shops, the ones in Coatbridge are much cheaper, I often visit them if I`m chasing freights in the area or visiting Summerlee Industrial Museum, (well worth a visit if you havent been mate). Landed in Liverpool late last night from Prague, great trip, 2 days on the rail tour in Czech then shed bashing in Czech, Slovak and Poland, had a night in Germany too, Dresden, blogs to follow.

shredder1

Established Member
Glasgow and Strathclyde Region. Sunday 22nd October 2017.

The second day of my long Scottish weekend and I was up and out of the Euro hostel just before first light and took the first train out of Glasgow Central down to Wemyss Bay, a line I`ve travelled a few times over the years, but this time I wanted to catch a bus down to Largs. It was a bit of a damp morning, but the bay looked lovely as the bus took me along its coast line. A class 380 electric train took me back into Glasgow Central from Largs.

I was essentially chasing the older EMU`s, the class 314`s which are said to be on their way out, and quite a few still carrying the old Strathclyde Cream and Maroon liveries, while I also have an interest in the 321`s and 318`s. I next took a train from Glasgow Central`s low level platforms and had a run up to Balloch to see what remained of the Balloch Pier branch at the foot of Loch Lomond.

The station building is now used as the tourist information centre and apparently the platforms have only recently been removed, what a shame they didn’t save them as part of the attraction. Not really much was left of the former railway line, although a tourist road train now operates roughly were the track bed once ran and takes visitors up to the pier, which has the life boat station and a restored ship complete with a cafe and visitors centre, part of the original Balloch station platform is still in evidence, but the station buildings went many years ago.

I returned down the line to Dumbarton Central and later took a train back down to Partick, changing for the Clockwork Orange underground network to St Enoch`s as the zip had given up on my Lowepro camera case, I couldn’t complain though as it has served me well for the last 18 years, but sadly they no longer make that model. I found an excellent replacement in Glasgow`s Merchant City Camera shop in the form of a Digital Holster 40 V20 at £65, hope it proves to be as reliable as the Lowepro.

I returned to Glasgow Central for some final phots of the day, and later caught a direct Transpennine service back to Manchester Piccadilly after a great two days north of the border.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/balloch_pier/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...2890.100001125840218&type=3&needsRefresh=true

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice. I’d forgotten that Balloch Pier was electrified.
Another interesting trip there, I’ll have a look at the photos when I get home.

DuncanS

£2.80 for chips is quite cheap, you have to remember we're all doomed to die by 55 having subsisted on nothing but chippies since birth - they have to make their money before we go.

Its about £3 round here for a bag.

As a former Weegie I'd also recommend not going to the Blue Lagoon, Pizza Crolla just round the corner from Queen Street is far better.

shredder1

Established Member
£2.80 for chips is quite cheap, you have to remember we're all doomed to die by 55 having subsisted on nothing but chippies since birth - they have to make their money before we go.

Its about £3 round here for a bag.

As a former Weegie I'd also recommend not going to the Blue Lagoon, Pizza Crolla just round the corner from Queen Street is far better.

I`m 66 so must be on borrowed time :), I`ll check out the Queen street chippy next time I`m up, cheers Duncan

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Saturday 11th November 2017.

My first trip out since returning to the local, a nice local one on my local railway a few miles drive away. I headed for Heywood and took the first service train out, which happened to be the Class 109 Wickhams 2-car DMU , restored in immaculate condition and due to return to the Llangollen Railway in the week. Bullied Pacific City of Wells was also working, but failed, so Class 101 BRCW 3-car DMU was brought into service to cover the second roster. I took a trip from Heywood to Rawtenstall and returned to Heywood and then Bury in the Wickhams, I later took a trip in the BRCW from Bury to Rawtenstall and returned to Heywood to collect the car, an interesting day out on first generation DMU`s.

http://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1125840218&type=3&comment_id=1507189412661906

shredder1

Established Member
Great Central Railway, end of season gala. Saturday 19th November 2017.

It was another early start, up at 04.00 to drive into Manchester, (the car park fee behind Piccadilly had gone up again), to catch the 05.11 Cross Country Voyager down to Stoke on Trent for a change at Derby and Beeston to Loughborough Midland for the Great Central Railway Last Hurrah, end of season gala.

Stock running was GWR 6990 Witherslack Hall, BR Standard 9F 92214 Leicester City, Austerity J94 68067, LMS Jinty 47406, 8F 48624 and Peak Class 45 D123 with the new build brake tender.

I took breakfast at my usual stopping point the Deli café just near the traffic lights, an “all in” on a giant bap with a piping hot cup of coffee, it hit the spot. I arrived at the Great Central Railway , Loughborough Central, as the loco`s were steaming up for the day, but for the first time ever barriers were across the front of the depot and restrictions for visitors now apply. Talking to staff this has happened for a number of reasons, theft and idiots ruining it for everyone else by acting stupid on visits, so the Railway can hardly be blamed for restricting access, having said that the depot was open to visitors later in the day and access was very good.

The gala was up to the usually excellence you would expect from the Great Central Railway, I took a number of trips up and down the line and stopped off at all station locations, two demonstration goods rakes were in action, the vans and mineral waggons behind various motive powers, with a DMU also entering the mix, a good well thought out timetable with plenty of movement variations including light engines and the brake tender.

It was a fantastic day although cold and dark at times and very overcast, I returned to the Midland station via my favourite Asian chippy and caught the 17.40 East Midlands Meridian to Sheffield and then a TPX direct to Manchester Piccadilly and the entire journeys were entertained by a large contingent of Manchester City football fans on their way back from a game at Leicester, who practically sung constantly on both journeys. Friendly enough, but our ears took a battering. A big well done to all the lads at the Great Central Railway, good job.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/timetables-and-fares/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...93475254833.1073742917.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Glasgow and Strathclyde Region.

Friday to Sunday 24th to 26th November 2017.

A lovely long weekend in the Strathclyde Region and it was the unusual mad rush home from work on Friday evening, and the bus back into Manchester for a Wigan train from Manchester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate, with a walk across the road to Wigan North-western and a Virgin Pendolino to Glasgow`s Central station.

I have my Greater Manchester free bus and rail pass which gets me to Wigan, then using a split ticket on a railcard to Oxenholme, it cost me £40 to Glasgow using any train, so not too bad. I arrived into Glasgow just after 21.00 and in time to photograph the Low land Caledonian Sleeper, before a few local ales in the Royal Scot and then retiring to my bed for the night at the St Enoch`s Hotel. I was lucky again and spent the night in a 6 bed dorm with en suite and had it all to myself, although the price had gone up to £17, but still not too bad.

I was up with the larks, showered and out of the St Enoch’s, round the corner and into the Crystal Palace a JD Weatherspoon’s, for 07.00 and a full Scottish breakfast. This one was different from the last one I had in Paisley a few month ago, it had 2 Bury black puddings and a potato cake instead of the usual 3 hash browns and a mushroom, it was alright and at least it didn’t have an haggis on or a fried mars bar in amongst the eggs.

After breakfast I was back on Glasgow Central to phot the arrival of the ex-London Caledonian low land sleeper, before having a run down to Ayr and back. Ayr TMD still stands albeit the tracks have long been lifted and the old engine sheds has a few more broken windows these days, it was always a great depot to visit back in the 1970`s.

After my return to Glasgow Central from Ayr, I decided to have a run around the Inner Cathcart Circle, alighting at Cathcart, before returning to Glasgow Central again. I next walked across to Glasgow Queen Street and took the West Highland train out to Helensburgh Upper, which still had snow on the ground. I walked from Helensburgh Upper, down the hill into Helensburgh Central station, caught an Edinburgh train but changed at Partick for a service to Motherwell before returning to Glasgow Central for my final phots of the evening.

I took tea in the Counting House, Glasgow, another JD Weatherspoon’s establishment, it was however very busy and I struggled to find a table, fortunately by the time my meal came, one had become empty, steak and ale pie, chips, garden peas and lashings of hot gravy washed down with a few local ales, yummy, you always know what you are getting in Weatherspoon’s and I use them a lot these days.

Returning once again to Glasgow Central, I went down to the low level platforms and boarded a train for Anniesland, as I had booked in the Alba Hostel for the night, not a bad one really as it was located just across the road from the railway station, £20 for the night so a little steep by my standards, and they also wanted to charge extra for debit card payments, which I thought was a bit cheeky, so I paid cash, but not bad accommodation, clean, comfortable and friendly and with a Weatherspoon’s next door for breakfast, I slept well.

I was up early on the Sunday morning and took a full Scottish breakfast next door at the Esquire House, JD Weatherspoon’s, (the Black pudding version), yummy. I walked over the road and caught the first train down to Hyndland to change for Garscadden, which is the nearest railway station to Yoker emu depot, as I wanted to see if it was possible to take a few photographs into the depot and yards. Vision was very restrictive though, but I did manage a few photographs from the bridges.

I also came across the former Caledonia line at Yoker which has now been turned into a walkway, and in addition I located two railway over bridges which were still in situ, however part of the track bed is now sadly under an Aldi store.

Returning to Garscadden station, I next took a train under Glasgow and the Clyde to Rutherglen, my intention was to get out to Polmadie train crew depot and see what could be seen from the bridges, I`d not actually been to Polmadie since the 1970`s when we use to be allowed around the sheds and the class 50`s ruled supreme.

I was told by some locals on the train that it was only a 10 minute walk from Rutherglen to Polmadie, on other advice from Rutherglen though it proved to be quite a bit further, so I caught a number 7 bus. This dropped me off more or less outside the depot at Polmadie. Taking any photographs however is difficult at Polmadie these days and I couldn’t even manage a decent shot of the 2 class 08`shunters parked outside the sheds, probably better to tray to snap these from a passing train.

I walked back up the hill to the nearest railway station which was Crosshill, an interesting station set in a deep brick and stone cutting; my next move was a train to Pollokshields East and then back to Cathcart, before returning to Glasgow Central for my final photographs of the day. A few goodies from Tesco Extra across the road from the station, including some Scottish Tablets, love those things.

I caught the 17.16 TPX from Glasgow directly to Manchester Piccadilly, it was very busy and nearly every seat was reserved, I usually go for this train when I`m travelling back from Glasgow and watch carefully as the reservation cards are placed on the seats, so I earmarked one of the non-reserved seats and made sure I was first at the door as they opened, I got my seat, settled back to the Kindle Fire, and cracked open the old whisky hip flask and I was back in Manchester before you could say Speyside 24 years old single malt, it had been another good weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742926.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Thank you very much Anthony, the light could have been better though.
Would you mind if I had the two pictures blown up and framed for me wall. I’ve a blank space waiting to be filled with surpeb pictures.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good couple days in Glasgow. Agreed a bit cheeky (and probably against the law) to want to charge card fees for paying by debit card in that hotel.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Merith House Hotel in Edinburgh did it to me too Kite, it's not unusual sadly.

Shred, that fudge stuff sounds rather nice, I had to stop myself ordering myself some as I looked at the size of my gut!