• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
London and its Suburbs (Day 3). Thursday 28th December 2017.

It was Christmas at last and I was heading south for the period, staying at number one son`s in Sandy for a week and then travelling over to meet up with a few mates in Bristol for a few days before returning north on New Year`s Eve.

It was another later start from my son`s in Sandy, calling at Chunky`s for breakfast before catching the 09.16 bound for Kings Cross. It was a lovely bright and sunny day, ideal for a bit of photography and I`d decided to head for Waterloo again, but this time stay within the local region as I wanted to ride and take a few more photographs of the new class 707`s, as it was the first time I`d seen them working.

The 707`s were operating on lines between Waterloo and Hounslow, nice shiny new units from the outside, but not very good on the inside and they don`t even have toilets fitted.

After Waterloo I spent an hour or so at Vauxhall and then Clapham Junction, before taking one of the modified Juniper class 458/5 and Class 707`s on a loop out to Hounslow and returning to Waterloo.

Since it was my last night`s stay at my son`s, I returned on an earlier train from Kings Cross to Sandy, ready to pack the case for Fridays trip over to Bristol to meet up with a few friends in that neck of the woods.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742940.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
London to Bristol (Day 4). Friday 29th December 2017.

It was Christmas at last and I was heading south for the week, staying at number one son`s in Sandy for a week and then travelling over to meet up with a few mates in Bristol for a few days before the New Year.

Up for around 08.00 and took my son for breakfast at Chunky`s, followed by lots of goodbyes and tears as I left Sandy to head for Bristol. I went for the 09.50, but the train was cancelled and they announced that the next one would be the 11.16, but that one didn’t arrive either, so I walked over the footbridge to the ticket office and they told us that someone had been hit by a train and they didn’t know when the railway would be working again.

I asked for a taxi down to Hitchin where trains were operating from, and Great Northern paid for this, but I didn’t get into Kings Cross until nearly midday. I was however lucky in that the Blue DB Class 90 034, that had been avoiding me for some time, was at the head of a train in the platforms as I arrived, so I walked round and took a few photographs of her.

I crossed London by underground to Paddington and caught a Great Western HST through to Bristol Temple Meads, with the Inter City Swallow liveried power car 43185 to the rear. As we passed Acton Main Line there were 14 class 66`s in the yard.

After a few photographs at Temple Meads, I next boarded a Sprinter which took me to Bristol Parkway and I was pleasantly surprised to see the new platform and more open looking station since my last visit, especially since you can now see the stabled loco`s in the yard to the rear.

Catching a bus outside Parkway station to meet up with Rob and an old flame Linda, who had very kindly offered to put us up for a few nights. It had been a longer than expected journey from Sandy, but great to catch up once I`d arrived, thanks Linda.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742943.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, (Day 5). Saturday 30th December 2017

It was Christmas at last and I was heading south for the period, staying at number one son`s in Sandy for a week and then travelling over to meet up with a few friends in Bristol for two days before returning north on New Year`s Eve.

Linda, Rob and I were all up early to catch the bus down to Bristol Parkway, it was a bit chilly and the bus was over 15 minutes late, but we survived this ordeal and had a breakfast sandwich and another brew at the station. A Cross Country Voyager took us up to Cheltenham.

We were heading for the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway who were running a mixed traffic gala and had booked D8137, D6948, 37215, steam locos 7903 Foremark Hall and 7820 Dinmore Manor which unfortunately failed, but was replace by GWR Prairie Tank 4270, we also had Class 117 DMU operating, so an excellent variety.

We didn’t wait long for a bus outside Cheltenham Spa railway station to take us out to the Racecourse and then a short walk over to the railway station while we waited for the first train to arrive, which was D6948 unfortunately steam loco 7820 Dinmore Manor had failed.
We took a run up to Toddington and later on to Laverton, before returning to Toddington, when I went for a walk around the sheds and left Rob and Linda to head for the Flag and Whistle railway café.

I later caught up with them and took an excellent lunch followed by apple pie and custard, it was yummy and we all had some, but unfortunately we had to wait well over half an hour to get served, the staff were extremely busy, but we missed a few trains in-between.

We caught the next train down to Winchcombe, which gave us just enough time to have a look around the station and at the model railway layouts before returning on the last train of the day to Cheltenham Racecourse. It was a fantastic day out and a big well done to the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway; this was my third visit to the railway. It would however be nice if events at the railway stated earlier and finished later though and I hope this is taken as constructive criticism, the first train out from Cheltenham Racecourse was 10.50 and the last service from Toddington was 15.15, albeit it was running late on this occasion.

Ideally you would have a longer day by travelling up to Toddington, but the bus service is very poor from Cheltenham to Toddington, a fantastic event all the same, and with a good selection of motive power, I look forward to visiting again after the line to Broadway opens in Easter.

We walked back to the bus stop at Cheltenham Racecourse and caught a bus back to the Cheltenham Spa station, and didn’t wait long for a train back to Bristol Parkway and then a bus back to Linda`s to sample more of her first class gourmet cooking skills, and we also drank most of her excellent spirits, thank you very much Linda.

https://www.gwsr.com/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.1 ... nref=story

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Bristol to Manchester, (Day 6). Sunday 31st December 2017.

It was Christmas at last and I was heading south for the period, staying at number one son`s in Sandy for a week and then travelling over to meet up with a few friends in Bristol for two days before returning north on New Year`s Eve.

It was the last day of my Christmas break and I was up early at Linda`s, who very kindly gave me a brew to revive me, we left Rob in bed as he was travelling up to Yorkshire on New Years Day. I took a taxi to Bristol Parkway and after a look around the station and photographing the 5 class 66`s park up in the yard, I was treated to a new Azuma, GWR Class 800 Super Express based on the Hitachi A-train design, working into the station on trials.

I caught a GWR HST from Bristol Parkway to Didcot Parkway and was met by another Azuma, working on a service train this time. My next train was a Turbo up to Didcot, followed by a Cross Country Voyager directly back to Manchester Piccadilly and finally the bus back home. It had been a great break and nice to catch up with family and friends, many thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the photographs.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742945.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
Doncaster and South Pennines Day Ranger. Saturday 6th January 2018.

The first trip out in 2018 and Id decided on a South Pennine Day Ranger, with a return from Meadow Hall to Doncaster to see what was around, some snow would have been nice, but it was not to be, it was however very cold, so I limited by standing around on platform ends to a minimum. I did however get some sunshine at Doncaster and Sheffield which was nice.

Another reason for the trip was to try out my new FX lens, on the Friday I`d had the Nikon Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f4G ED VR Lens delivered, it’s a big chunky thing and I was more than impressed with the lens and the price, half price to what the main retailers were selling it for albeit on the grey market.

I was up by 05.00 and drove over to Crumpsall Metrolink station for the first tram out at 06.07 to Manchester Piccadilly, and after a Cornish pasty breakfast on the station, I border a Transpennine 185 service out to Leeds. Dawn was just breaking as I arrived, that magical time for taking photographs. My next train was a Northern 158 Express to Sheffield via Wakefield Kirkgate, and after a few photographs at Sheffield and a Tram ride into the City and back to do a little shopping, I caught a Transpennine 185 over to Doncaster.

Doncaster was a bit cold, but with glorious sunshine at times, the freight however was a little slow, but I did manage to photograph former GWR HST`s alongside the works, on their way to Scotland after modifications. I went for a stroll and something to eat in Doncaster and on returning caught a Transpennine 185 back to Sheffield and just in time to phot one of the few Cross Country HST`s southbound in glorious sunshine.

I next boarded a Class 144 Pacer, stopping at all stations for Leeds via the reversal at Castleford. Arriving back into Leeds as the light was fading. A few more photographs on Leeds station and then catching a Transpennine 185 back into Manchester Piccadilly. It had been an enjoyable first day out in 2018 and hopefully the first of many trips this year, and the new lens had performed well, many thanks for reading.

Day Ranger ticket; http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pra5d5c70a040002003ffec51cbc6f81.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...86800555500.1073742949.100001125840218&type=3

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester-Crewe and Heritage Centre. 13th January 2018

This weekend I was torn between the East Lancs Sulzer Day and the Crewe Heritage Centre Open Day, I decided on Crewe, mainly because anything can turn up there. A leisurely start, up at 07.30 and I drove over to Crumpsall Metrolink station, nice to see the recent development s taking place, the new platform for the Trafford lines is coming along well, a new crossing has been built and the old footbridge is now out of use and will be removed.

After catching as tram to Manchester Piccadilly I boarded a Virgin Pendolino to Crewe. Not much in the station on arrival, apart from Thunderbird DRS 57308 parked up in the usual place. I walked around to the Heritage Centre for the open day and arrived just on 10.00 as the gates opened.

Not as busy as I`d expected and only £3.00 on the gate, so very cheap, it was a good event, plenty of stalls and the Centre`s excellent collection of locomotives and rolling stock. It couldn’t have been better displayed though for photographers, but I expect they have limited volunteers and resources, so not too bad. Plenty of displays and stalls sat in the APT and watched the film about it, visited the signal boxes, had a brew in the café and caught up with some lovely friends.

As I was walking out to the Heritage Centre I bumped into Julian Newton who was also making his way to the Centre and later gave an excellent presentation on the proposed reopening of the Woodhead route with a rolling highway proposal from Bredbury, Manchester to Tinsley thus linking both the M60 Motorway with the M1 at Sheffield, I do like the thinking behind this project, especially considering the pollution, congestion and accidents caused by heavy hauliers using the Woodhead Road.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/283539241978063/permalink/583271532004831/?pnref=story

I decided on walking out to the electric depot, but lost my way, despite having been there a number of times over the years, but not to worry, I returned to Crewe Centre and had a walk around the shops before catching a bus back to the railway station and bumping into a southern friend Gary, who I`d been to France with last year and who had come up for the day.

I returned to Manchester on an Arriva Wales 175, spent a little time in Manchester looking for some decent lens cases and eventually gave up, before return to Crumpsall to pick up the car, it had been a good day out and a very enlightening presentation by Julian Newton, I do hope the proposal gains mileage, something needs doing about the Woodhead alignment and the vacuum the closure of the original line left.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742951.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
South Wales. Saturday 20th January 2018.

Friday night and after a mad rush home from work, I managed to get back into Manchester with just minutes to spare to catch the 18.32 Arrival Wales 175 Manchester Piccadilly to Carmarthen service on a Club 55 ticket for £26. I travelled as far as Cardiff and after a 10 minute walk out to the YHA, I was checking in just before 22.00. I`d managed to book a 4 bed dormer for £6.99, so it was a cheap trip.

The YHA at Cardiff has only been open for 3 years and it is a quite modern one, the first time I`d stayed actually. I shared with two other snorers, but they were lightweights by my standards. I slept well and was up and showered by 06.30, it was a wet morning though, but not too far to walk back to the railway station.

I was having a day in the Valley`s, a region I`ve always had a fondness for since my first visits in the 1960`s. I was mainly chasing Pacers, Arriva 142`s and 143` s. I headed for some of my favourite spots; the first one was Pontypridd and its magnificent station buildings. I managed a few photographs as dawn was breaking and then went over the road to tumble in, the Tumble Inn, a Weatherspoons for breakfast, a full English, Welsh version.

I next caught a train back down the line to Radyr and boarded a city line 142 Pacer which looped around the back of Canton depot and then took the Coryton line. Returning from Coryton back to the junction at Heath Low Level and I walking across the road to Heath High Level station, the next train I caught took me up the Rhymney Valley as far as Bargoed, changing there for a train to take me to the top of the valley at Rhymney.

From Rhymney I travelled back down the valley to Caerphilly, an interesting station which has a large selection of photographs displayed in the booking hall, dating back to the steam era. I took a walk through the town at Caerphilly and had lunch in a chip shop on the high street, before returning to the railway station and catching another train back through Cardiff and on down the branch to Penarth.

Returning to Cardiff Central from Penarth, my next train was a 175 Maesteg train as far as Bridgend for a change onto a Great Western HST to take me into Swansea. While I was waiting for the Swansea train, two of the new Azuma EIT`s came through on passenger services with a Swansea to Paddington service.

I was again lucky in that the Inter-City 125 Blue and Yellow liveried HST was the rear power car of my train, although I didn’t realise it until I arrived at Swansea, and it was lovely to finally catch up with it at last. HST 253 001 named Sir Kenneth Grange, the famous industrial designer who among other things designed the nose cone for the HST`s.

I caught the 16.58 Arrival Wales 175 from Swansea directly back to Manchester Piccadilly with a four and a half hour journey time back up to Manchester along the Marches. A group of football fans joined the train at Shrewsbury returning to their home town of Doncaster and it wasn’t long before I was eating their food and drinking their beer, a great bunch of lads.

On arriving back to Manchester Piccadilly railway station, I caught a Metrolink tram up to Piccadilly Gardens and saw the number 59 bus was just arriving at the bus stop, my village bus from Manchester. After running across the gardens I arrived at the bus stop just as the driver had closed the door, and unbelievably he would let me get on and just drove off, leaving me with nearly an hour until the next one, so it was almost 23.00 by the time I had arrived home, a great trip though all the same.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.1 ... um_comment

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s outrageous about the bus. I wonder how he’d have reacted if you’d pressed the emergency door opening button (if there was one) on the side?
Apart from that it looked like you had a good trip.

shredder1

Established Member
That’s outrageous about the bus. I wonder how he’d have reacted if you’d pressed the emergency door opening button (if there was one) on the side?
Apart from that it looked like you had a good trip.

Thanks Cowley, yes it was a bit naughty of him really, maybe he was having a bad day or something, but yes I had an enjoyable trip.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ouch about the bus issue, but a beast of a visit to my original stomping grounds otherwise. 4.5 hours on a 175 would be too much even for me, and I like the class!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Apart from the long trips on a 175, sounded like a good little trip to the Cardiff area making use of that ATW special offer.

shredder1

Established Member
Apart from the long trips on a 175, sounded like a good little trip to the Cardiff area making use of that ATW special offer.

Ouch about the bus issue, but a beast of a visit to my original stomping grounds otherwise. 4.5 hours on a 175 would be too much even for me, and I like the class!

Thanks Tec, and Kite, yes I enjoy my runs down the Marches, not too bad really I usually watch a film on the Kindle or read a book, soon there :)

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Great Central Railway, Winter Steam Gala. Saturday 27th January 2018.

I love the Great Central, always something different going on and lots of action. The winter gala was another success, but the weather could have been better. I did intend going down on Friday night after work and also staying over Saturday night, but my usual accommodation, the Peacock, had put their prices up significantly, so I decided just to do the one day, Saturday and catch an early train down.

Setting the alarm for 04.00 on Saturday morning and driving into Manchester for the 05.11 Bournemouth Cross Country Voyager as far as Stoke, a breakfast muffin in the station café (remind me never to buy another one of these), and a East Midlands Sprinter to Beeston via Derby, with a change for Loughborough Midland.

The main attraction for me was the magnificent 4-6-0 LNER B12 8572, the B12 was built in 1928 to a Great Eastern design by Beyer Peacock for the LNER and then she was rebuilt in 1933 by Edward Thompson, I`d had the privilege of seeing her during renovation on a visit to the Weybourne locomotive workshops, by one of the Directors of the North Norfolk Railway, a few years ago and she looked pretty special then, so marvellous to see her working in full glory.

The other visitor was the Crab from my own East Lancs Railway, nice to see it on Great Central metals, although I did prefer her in BR Black. We were also treated resident locos BR Riddles 9F 92214, 3F Fowler Jinty 47406, J94 Hunslet Austerity 68067, Stanier Mogul 8F 48624 and two of my favourite mixed traffic locomotives Ivatt 2MT 46521 and the Riddles version BR standard 2MT 78018.
The usual fantastic gala took place with plenty of freight trains on bauxite box vans and 16 ton steel mineral waggons, TPO and passenger services, plus a Metro-Camm DMU, it constant action all day long.

I was on the first train out and a second breakfast of the day in the buffet car. A good look round all the stalls and bookshops and amazingly I didn’t buy any books, I was however feeling the cold on my head so purchased a green woolly hat from the B17 Locomotive Trust stall, another rebuild in the making, 61673 Spirit of Sandringham, amazing, good luck lads.
Because of the weather I tended to ride a lot more on this trip, I didn’t fancy a soaking in the fields. Great to catch up with a few friends, Nathan and later Brain and the lads from the TRRPG.

Lots of things happening at the Great Central Railway, the new bridge over the Midland Main Line is now in place, the canal bridge is the next to be completed, thus joining Great Central lines North and South, The former Workington MPD is a future project and of course passenger journey`s up the Mount Sorrell branch from the main line.

I left the railway at 17.00, called in my favourite Asian chippy on the way back to the Midland station. I boarded a late running East Midland Meridian to Sheffield and then a Transpennine 185 back into Manchester Piccadilly, arriving home for around 20.00, it had been a great trip. A big well done to all at the Great Central, and thank you for a fantastic day.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/edit/a.1582336325147214.1073742958.100001125840218/

Iskra

Established Member
Sounded a good day, thanks for sharing. I need to visit the GCR, hopefully this year.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Great Central Railway, Winter Steam Gala. Saturday 27th January 2018.

I love the Great Central, always something different going on and lots of action. The winter gala was another success, but the weather could have been better. I did intend going down on Friday night after work and also staying over Saturday night, but my usual accommodation, the Peacock, had put their prices up significantly, so I decided just to do the one day, Saturday and catch an early train down.

Setting the alarm for 04.00 on Saturday morning and driving into Manchester for the 05.11 Bournemouth Cross Country Voyager as far as Stoke, a breakfast muffin in the station café (remind me never to buy another one of these), and a East Midlands Sprinter to Beeston via Derby, with a change for Loughborough Midland.

The main attraction for me was the magnificent 4-6-0 LNER B12 8572, the B12 was built in 1928 to a Great Eastern design by Beyer Peacock for the LNER and then she was rebuilt in 1933 by Edward Thompson, I`d had the privilege of seeing her during renovation on a visit to the Weybourne locomotive workshops, by one of the Directors of the North Norfolk Railway, a few years ago and she looked pretty special then, so marvellous to see her working in full glory.

The other visitor was the Crab from my own East Lancs Railway, nice to see it on Great Central metals, although I did prefer her in BR Black. We were also treated resident locos BR Riddles 9F 92214, 3F Fowler Jinty 47406, J94 Hunslet Austerity 68067, Stanier Mogul 8F 48624 and two of my favourite mixed traffic locomotives Ivatt 2MT 46521 and the Riddles version BR standard 2MT 78018.
The usual fantastic gala took place with plenty of freight trains on bauxite box vans and 16 ton steel mineral waggons, TPO and passenger services, plus a Metro-Camm DMU, it constant action all day long.

I was on the first train out and a second breakfast of the day in the buffet car. A good look round all the stalls and bookshops and amazingly I didn’t buy any books, I was however feeling the cold on my head so purchased a green woolly hat from the B17 Locomotive Trust stall, another rebuild in the making, 61673 Spirit of Sandringham, amazing, good luck lads.
Because of the weather I tended to ride a lot more on this trip, I didn’t fancy a soaking in the fields. Great to catch up with a few friends, Nathan and later Brain and the lads from the TRRPG.

Lots of things happening at the Great Central Railway, the new bridge over the Midland Main Line is now in place, the canal bridge is the next to be completed, thus joining Great Central lines North and South, The former Workington MPD is a future project and of course passenger journey`s up the Mount Sorrell branch from the main line.

I left the railway at 17.00, called in my favourite Asian chippy on the way back to the Midland station. I boarded a late running East Midland Meridian to Sheffield and then a Transpennine 185 back into Manchester Piccadilly, arriving home for around 20.00, it had been a great trip. A big well done to all at the Great Central, and thank you for a fantastic day.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/edit/a.1582336325147214.1073742958.100001125840218/
Would you mind if got some of your pictures printed again, as before with the 9F/8F. The shots of the Ivatt are great, I’ve a couple more frames to fill and space above the telly. Sadly couldn’t make it to gala but it’s one railway I must visit.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
That breakfast on the GCR - mmm, lovely (or it was when I sampled it 10 years ago). Joint best preserved food I've had, with only the Lakeside and Haverthwaite homemade tater pie from 2003 equalling it :)

One minor point from your Christmas trip - 4278 at the GWR isn't a pannier tank!

shredder1

Established Member
Would you mind if got some of your pictures printed again, as before with the 9F/8F. The shots of the Ivatt are great, I’ve a couple more frames to fill and space above the telly. Sadly couldn’t make it to gala but it’s one railway I must visit.

Absolutely, I`m humbled, please take what you want Anthony.

shredder1

Established Member
That breakfast on the GCR - mmm, lovely (or it was when I sampled it 10 years ago). Joint best preserved food I've had, with only the Lakeside and Haverthwaite homemade tater pie from 2003 equalling it :)

One minor point from your Christmas trip - 4278 at the GWR isn't a pannier tank!

Oh thanks very much, yes of course not, its a Prairie, I`ll correct it, thank you.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Winter Diesel Gala. Saturday 17th February 2018.

Rostered diesels

D9531, D9537, D7629, 33109, 37109, 40106, 40145, 50015 and a DMU.

Back in the UK and my first visit to the good old East Lancs, just up the road from me, so no travelling this weekend. The weather was a bit wet to start with but brightened up later, I essentially went trackside on this visit, but did make a donation, plus bought £40`s worth of railway books, and caught up with a few old friends.

I started off by driving up to Summerseat, then moved to Ramsbottom, for breakfast, drove up to Rawtenstall and finished up on Burrs Bank. Lots of action from the East Lancs and has always at ELR Diesel gala`s a nice surprise for me in the form of the Black Bear D9537, a livery it never carried of course, BR black gloss, but one that suits it very well, BR black gloss. A big well done to all involved with the gala, great show guys.

http://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/edit/a.1609785329068980.1073742971.100001125840218/

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester, Derbyshire and Yorkshire. Saturday 24th February 2018.

I couldn’t find anything of interest this Saturday so thought I`d use up on of my Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets, I bought a couple of them a few years ago and they are due to expire this year. You can never tell what you might find down at Derby, so I used one to get down there and I also decided to nip into Doncaster while I was on that side of the hill.

I drove up to Crumpsall for the first tram into Manchester, breakfast in the city and then the 07.20 TPX out of Manchester Piccadilly to the Democratic Republic of Sheffield with a change for Derby. It was nice and sunny by the time I arrived at Derby and as a nice surprise 50049 was sat on the platform edge in the sunshine to greet me, amazing, being used for diversion training by Cross Country drivers while Derby station closes for the refurbishment and new platforms.

I later took a trip down to Burton and walked out to the Nemesis depot to see what could be viewed, again I was very lucky in that 67029 Royal Diamond was attached to a rake of ecs and backing them down the line before departing for Burton with a special to Wembley.

After walking back to Burton railway station I caught a Cross Country Voyage back to Sheffield with a change for Doncaster and spent the rest of the afternoon on the platforms and also met up with a few friends from here, one who`d travelled all the way upon from Burham on Sea, Essex.

Sadly Doncaster is not as busy as it once was since much of the coal traffic has ended, but it’s still worth a visit though. The sun was bright, but it was a cold day and come later afternoon I caught a 170 TPX back into Manchester, not a bad day out though.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...04608007052.1073742993.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Spring Steam Gala, Saturday & Sunday 3rd & 4th March 2018.

Back on home turf, the good old East Lancashire Railway and the Spring Steam Gala. Always a few surprises, for me it was Leander in BR Black livery, I think she looks really great like this, the other great surprise was 45407, in the guise of 45157 Glasgow Highlander with her Blue Scottish, smokebox and shed code plates, absolutely magnificent, other locos rostered were Streak 9, Union of South Africa, (now due to be set up and stuffed) out of ticket, the Hughes Fowler Crab 13065, Hunslet 2890 Douglas, BR Lanky 52322, Bulleid 34092 City of Wells and a second Micky, 45212, a great line up by anyone`s standards.

This was a 3 day gala, but I work on Fridays, and missed the worst day weather wise. I was however up early on Saturday morning and spent most of the day location shooting, it was still a cold one, but we did have some sunshine in the later morning period, with still plenty of snow around.

Sunday I drove to Bury, took breakfast in the town and had a day on the trains covering all the line and mainly concentrating on Leander and Streak 9 for haulage. It was nice to catch up with a few old friends, and it had indeed been a fantastic event with all the stops pulled out, as you would expect from the East Lancs Railway, a really big well done to all involved, outstanding job guys.

http://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742997.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

AnthonyRail

Established Member
That’s an incredible gala lineup considering weather, we had nothing done here, not even mainline running. I haven’t seen a train since Wednesday.

shredder1

Established Member
At least your weekend wasn't a complete white-out :)

No I did well mate, lol Looking forward to the Worth Valley next weekend, just booked the YHA at Haworth a tenner because Im a member, although they have £13 bookings still available for Friday night this weekend.

Kite159

Veteran Member
No I did well mate, lol Looking forward to the Worth Valley next weekend, just booked the YHA at Haworth a tenner because Im a member, although they have £13 bookings still available for Friday night this weekend.

A very reasonable price